Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i use steelseries arctis 5 because i am a gamer

before i really needed to have a microphone i had a few pairs of some of the entry-level grados. part of why i liked them was that they made me look like a ww2 radio operator. they also lasted longer than most headphones for me, since my headphones usually end up breaking at the bracket that holds the cup, but the grado ones used some metal there and the bits of plastic were small simple shapes that could take stress well. probably the only headphones i've had where the cable was the first thing to break. at the time i considered replacing it but wasn't sure where to source a replacement because i don't know anything about audio

lol terrible snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do not understand why big headphones without removable cables exist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
removable cables own. i'm not getting another pair without one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spend the money on drugs and listen under the influence instead imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah man like, fight the power

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
drugs do change the perception of music. even something kinda mundane like gabapentin does it

it's even better with good equipment though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whoa....

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

best thing about audiophile stuff locally is we still have a vibrant college radio scene.

by comparison I kinda hate streaming services. much rather listen to a DJ that knows how to pick stuff and introduce me to interesting music.

spotify’s algo is terrible compared to the real life DJ’s

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yummycheese posted:

best thing about audiophile stuff locally is we still have a vibrant college radio scene.

by comparison I kinda hate streaming services. much rather listen to a DJ that knows how to pick stuff and introduce me to interesting music.

spotify’s algo is terrible compared to the real life DJ’s

you don’t like listening to the same 10 songs Spotify picks?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use Apple Music. they send me a new playlist every week!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Silver Alicorn posted:

I use Apple Music. they send me a new playlist every week!

same and one time they gave me a playlist that was all bangers and i listened to it on repeat for like a month and then i had to reboot for an update or something and could not find it again. it was very sad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Elder Postsman posted:

same and one time they gave me a playlist that was all bangers and i listened to it on repeat for like a month and then i had to reboot for an update or something and could not find it again. it was very sad.

add it to your library as you find a good one

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Share Bear posted:

in other stuff, i'm sort of looking for new receivers. did all the hdmi crap get ironed out? is there something specific i should look for? who's a good brand now?

harman kardon lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

drugs do change the perception of music. even something kinda mundane like gabapentin does it

it's even better with good equipment though

have you ever listened to high res audio... on alcohol?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fart simpson posted:

have you ever listened to high res audio... on alcohol?

too often

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
i have a schiit dac because i got it as a gift and also lol it's a dac. it can be bad.

my real treasure though are a pair of Stax L300 powered by the piddly driver they don't create anymore. Sounds nice!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have like 4 expensive pairs of over ear headphones plus airpods pro’s and they all suck rear end because consumerism sucks and i wish i’d never dove into all that poo poo and instead went and lived in the woods like the unabomber but near a pub so i could go hang out with friends and maybe some nice ladies regularly also my cabin would have a shower and good heating and cooking facilities

hth op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk I'm one of those people who appreciates nice things but can also find pleasure in the mediocre... which is why airpods pro are kinda uncanny because they are super expensive for something that sounds passable at best

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

idk I'm one of those people who appreciates nice things but can also find pleasure in the mediocre... which is why airpods pro are kinda uncanny because they are super expensive for something that sounds passable at best

my favorite part about airpods pros is occasionally finding a lone one on the ground with no way to find the owner

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

i've never dropped mine

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

git apologist posted:

i have like 4 expensive pairs of over ear headphones plus airpods pro’s and they all suck rear end because consumerism sucks and i wish i’d never dove into all that poo poo and instead went and lived in the woods like the unabomber but near a pub so i could go hang out with friends and maybe some nice ladies regularly also my cabin would have a shower and good heating and cooking facilities

hth op

fuuuuuck :negative:

anyways,

(speakers) klipsch fives and vanatoo tier zeros are amazing. the klipsch replaced a set of JBL305s and sound truly fantastic and also have HDMI so I can control the entire setup with just my apple tv remote. vanatoos also amazing but in a smaller form factor. 3" speakers are awesome for a desk

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

i've never dropped mine

I’ve found like 5 of them around the neighborhood.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i go back and forth with cans and earbuds, i have some er4xr buds i like, a pair of ATH-M50xs, a pair of akgs i need to resolder a connection on, then a few bluetooths, some powerbeats pro i got at auction, my old sennie momentums, etc but

i got some airpods max on sale and i super dig them though the band is a little too small for my unnatural head. i can't really wear corded headphones in the house because i'm constantly getting the cord caught on poo poo so i like the wireless, and the noise cancellation is superb for my needs. big fan, i don't care if it's cool to hate on them

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I have a dece pair of AKG open-cans that for some reason are quincy jones-branded

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

I might get run out of this thread for this (justly so), but am I wrong to feel like expensive computer headsets have very quickly diminishing returns for the increased cost? I run a $20 headset and I feel I great fine, even great audio. Several of my friends have $200+ headsets and it feels extremely excessive to me.

I know it's probably a YMMV thing based on what you do and how much you'll appreciate the higher fidelity, but I just find myself skeptical that for an extra $180 you're getting that much appreciably better of audio quality.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Snuff Melange posted:

I might get run out of this thread for this (justly so), but am I wrong to feel like expensive computer headsets have very quickly diminishing returns for the increased cost? I run a $20 headset and I feel I great fine, even great audio. Several of my friends have $200+ headsets and it feels extremely excessive to me.

I know it's probably a YMMV thing based on what you do and how much you'll appreciate the higher fidelity, but I just find myself skeptical that for an extra $180 you're getting that much appreciably better of audio quality.

I mean if you’re like, mixing or mastering the good cans or monitors can absolutely make a difference, tho for consumer purposes chi-fi is getting pretty good for just how cheap it is

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Snuff Melange posted:

idk im skeptical generally of "computer headsets" versus traditional can oems. i will say that you can absolutely tell the difference between a pair of $20 headphones from a trad oem and a pair of their $200 phones. i think it's actually fine to spend that much on a pair of good (corded especially) headphones if it isn't a burden. the diminishing returns thing really kicks in when you go up another level imo tho perhaps some golden eared motherfucker can tell the difference better than i can

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Snuff Melange posted:

I have a decent business headset but I spend at least 10 hours a week and sometimes much more in meetings so I decided it was worth it. it’s all about the mic quality and onboard mute button/mute light on the dongle, they sit next to my “real” headphones for music. I thought about consolidating to a single fancy pair of wireless headphones but I like what I have a lot

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I can absolutely tell the difference between $20 headphones and $100 headphones, ive never really tried anything more expensive though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve experienced very little/no hearing loss as I’ve aged :smug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

the diminishing returns thing really kicks in when you go up another level imo tho perhaps some golden eared motherfucker can tell the difference better than i can
I'd always had solid $100-200 headphones but then focal discontinued the elegias and was selling them for like 60% off msrp so I took a gamble and they're clearly better, like immediate and obvious superiority. I can not imagine buying fancier ones or ever bringing these into an office but the good news is these will last forever while airpods max and bose stuff will be in a landfill in a couple years

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do think it's true is that if you want integrated computer/gamer headphones, over-ear comfy with a good microphone and a suitably integrated usb sound card (which is not an insane thing to want, it is very trouble-free grab and pack and plug into whatever sort of deal) there really doesn't seem to be options above say the $30-40 range that really improves on performance.

arguably it is also a thing where $200 doesn't make much sense, as then you probably should take a bit more care about of things anyway, but there seems to be a real dearth of midrange stuff.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i think at the $20 price point you can absolutely tell the difference. but if you go a little higher and get like $50 chinese iems the difference between them and $100+ earbuds is less obvious. i got some kz ones that were around $60 (both ZS10 and AS10s) and you most likely would not be able to tell the difference between them and $150+ ones

but they're kinda cheap feeling, pretty big and sometimes uncomfortable. i don't mind that, but i think that's really what you're paying for

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I'd always had solid $100-200 headphones but then focal discontinued the elegias and was selling them for like 60% off msrp so I took a gamble and they're clearly better, like immediate and obvious superiority. I can not imagine buying fancier ones or ever bringing these into an office but the good news is these will last forever while airpods max and bose stuff will be in a landfill in a couple years

yeah, i'm talking orders of magnitude, like there's $20 phones, $200 phones, and $2000 phones, and just like speakers at some point it's not worth it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

yeah, i'm talking orders of magnitude, like there's $20 phones, $200 phones, and $2000 phones, and just like speakers at some point it's not worth it
the hedonic treadmill is a bitch

the good news there's always new music coming out and that's a lot cheaper than buying more gear

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah part of my covid panic was rebuilding my vinyl collection which i do listen to but i also rip and put in on my media server depending on context. i like having the artifact more than anything, not cause of sound quality.

its real great to let records play throughout the day, one side is long enough for a small chunk of work, get up and flip it and take a break and so on

funny how many record players are 1200 guts with different faces all from the same factory too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i mean, kz zs7s are my daily drivers, i usually use the aforementioned fiio amp with them so they even work with poo poo without a 3.5mm jack. they were i think $25, sound amazing for the price, and are built like tanks

the problem is that they're built like tanks. they're aluminum, big and relatively heavy for iems but you can throw them in your pocket without worrying that they'll break, and if they do, they were cheap

but they're not perfect so i have better pairs for when i need that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can absolutely tell the difference between $20 headphones and $100 headphones, ive never really tried anything more expensive though

form factor is king. ive tried $1000 in ears that dont sound as good as $99 over ears

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

over ears are the most comfortable as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve experienced very little/no hearing loss as I’ve aged :smug:

ok boomer