Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I use ATH M50xs with bluetooth, except bluetooth sucks in Windows even when using different dongles so I just use the optional aux cable it came with to a hyperX USB DAC.

I would have to re-pair it every session and sometimes more than once. Using bluetooth with an Xbox controller made games lag like crazy whenever it wanted to display a battery warning. I don't use bluetooth on my home PC anymore because it's so shithouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i got a cheap little bluetooth 5.0 receiver to use with my pc (i use toslink but it also just takes any 3.5mm input). works with apt-x lossless so the sound quality is pretty good as is the latency

then i connect it to the fiio btr3 and then my headphones. works great

iirc it was about $20. i'd post it but the amazon link is dead

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got two dongles that were different brands and neither worked well in any use case.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
it's not a dongle per se. it's a dedicated device that takes audio input, recompresses it on the fly with the requested codec, and broadcasts it over bluetooth. there's only a microusb port for power (it's kinda old though, i imagine newer ones use usb-c)

ime the usb dongles have bad antennas and can pretty easily suffer from interference

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ehhhh not really. theres lots of 2.4ghz flying around but its all built to kind of run through each other and inverse cube means that signal strength is super flea powered more than a few feet away

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

yeah but the receiver i'm talking about is about the size of a hockey puck. it must have a similarly sized antenna because it worked very well from across a 1200 sq ft apartment

e: lol stupid ipad deleted "must"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 18, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i still have a pair of sennies i bought like 12 years ago that use KLEER wireless tech which is a proprietary alternative to bluetooth for sending audio wirelessly. they work pretty flippin great. twitch gamers probably wouldn't want to rely on them but for normal stuff there's basically no lag which is impressive considering their date.

the bonus is that they come with a puck that you can just plug any 3.5mm cable into so you can use them with tons of stuff

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i wear some $50 over ear turtle beach things my friend recommended. everything sounds like poo poo to me cause my ears are hosed up

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

also i don't do in-ear ones cause they won't stay in for more than 10 seconds

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i wanna get some sennheiser hd25s to fulfil my late 90s DJ aspirations

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
im wearing v700s right now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

im wearing v700s right now
if they’d just made that one joint out of metal I’d still have mine, those things were great.

how do you still have a working pair?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

how do you still have a working pair?

because i treat all my gear well

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i also found a never-used pair on ebay that was in a closet for like 15 years about 5 years ago so i have that too

literally 'my college bf bought me these sophomore year and i never used them.' good poo poo

e: and replacement pads too. so im prolly good to go

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Cat Face Joe posted:

also i don't do in-ear ones cause they won't stay in for more than 10 seconds

same

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
try puting them in your ears and not your rear end

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

the buttplug subwoofer stays in pal

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

echinopsis posted:

it's working well for you?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

the buttplug subwoofer stays in pal

buttplug? upgrade to a bass snake

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c audiophile s: Picked up a time capsule from ebay.

These are not 'accurate' headphones. They can arguably be uncomfortable headphones. but

quote:

Sony MDR-V700 Over-Ear DJ Headphones - Silver.

Bought it but never used and just stored in closet.

these are the headphones you used in 1998 when playing your records

Countered with an offer that i considered a little low and they accepted, so hell yeah.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if sony remade them with metal post holders I'd buy new ones but I will not fall prey to that nostalgia. besides I still have a working pair of 7506

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

modern headphones are really really good though. you don't even need to spend a lot to get a good pair these days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

if sony remade them with metal post holders I'd buy new ones but I will not fall prey to that nostalgia. besides I still have a working pair of 7506

if they'd been popular like 10-15 years later i bet we'd have some dude CNC'ing replacement hinge assemblies out of aluminum or something and it'd be amazing

they're a bit vintagey for people to get that sweaty over though

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

qirex posted:

stereo rules and I'm never going back to surround sound unless I have a dedicated room. you absolutely don't need more speakers if you can position your speakers correctly in your space [I do have a subwoofer though]

:agreed:

leave that gimmicky poo poo in the overpriced theaters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have an early 80s 2.0 setup and a 2022 7.1.2 setup. both are good for their tasks but yeah a good stereo rig is just fine. surround is nice for when i smoke a bowl or w/e but you gotta have the right room placement. i basically can't rearrange my living room ever because there's only one way that poo poo will work right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you know i just realized this, its a little strange that some weirdo didn't buy NEC's last laserdisc fab or whatever and there's probably no way to pay somebody $995 to press a custom oneoff dubplate laserdisc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

you know i just realized this, its a little strange that some weirdo didn't buy NEC's last laserdisc fab or whatever and there's probably no way to pay somebody $995 to press a custom oneoff dubplate laserdisc

sounds like a goon project

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

modern headphones are really really good though. you don't even need to spend a lot to get a good pair these days

I have a set of these Beyerdynamic's which seem to hit a decent sweet spot for quality vs. value.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html

Seem fine to me. Use them every day and they are comfy.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
many years too late, i finally got some lil baby studio monitors (kali lp-6 v2) and holy poo poo it's like listening to music again for the first time. they're plugged into a focusrite scarlett 2i2 (baby's first audio interface). all the fancypants dacs look pretty neat, but i'm a basic bitch :cool:

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve experienced very little/no hearing loss as I’ve aged :smug:

saaame, always been super diligent about earplugs at shows, etc. just did a tone generator and can still hear up to 15khz plenty fine

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

yummycheese posted:

I have a set of these Beyerdynamic's which seem to hit a decent sweet spot for quality vs. value.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html

Seem fine to me. Use them every day and they are comfy.

I have the 80 ohm 770s and I was really surprised. I'd be really interested to hear what their next tier up sounds like. I bet it's bonkers (triple the price tho)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fancy dacs are absolute snake oil meant to thin wallets when people run out of turntables and speakers to buy. dont worry about it your scarlett is up to the task

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

apropos audiophilia, i had no idea vinyls were an environment hazard

stumbled upon flashbulb talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ2czFuIYmQ

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

what is the right amount of "acoustic treatment" in a room with speakers?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

fancy dacs are absolute snake oil meant to thin wallets when people run out of turntables and speakers to buy. dont worry about it your scarlett is up to the task

what the gently caress

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

what is the right amount of "acoustic treatment" in a room with speakers?

a lot more than in a room without speakers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but srsly, as much as you can get away with. by the time your spending low-mid 3 figgies on speakers then your room acoustics start being the weak link for basically every room

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i have a nice set of campfire audio over-ear headphones that sound loving amazing and a pair of in-ear final audio earbuds that i mostly listen to podcasts with but still sound not bad when trying to drown out the subway noises with music

ty previous job for letting me expense both

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

my family owns a hi-fi and record store so I spent a lot of time in the presence of expensive gear that I couldn't tell the difference between after a certain point, but it did mean that I was exposed to Criterion laserdiscs at a very young age so it's impossible to know if it's bad or not

Once I graduate and start making figgies again, and presumably living somewhere apart from an apartment with thin walls, I'd like to get some sort of setup going again

I am in the market for a small DAC, though: I use Apple Music but my workstation in the lab runs Linux so I've been listening to more music on my phone, but I don't love wearing wireless earbuds for long stretches and I have a decent pair of open-can AKGs that I'd prefer to keep using despite their mini-stereo jack, so if any of yall have a recommendation for something that works in that space I'm all ears

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

check out fiio's btr series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dijkstracula posted:

my family owns a hi-fi and record store so I spent a lot of time in the presence of expensive gear that I couldn't tell the difference between after a certain point, but it did mean that I was exposed to Criterion laserdiscs at a very young age so it's impossible to know if it's bad or not

Once I graduate and start making figgies again, and presumably living somewhere apart from an apartment with thin walls, I'd like to get some sort of setup going again

I am in the market for a small DAC, though: I use Apple Music but my workstation in the lab runs Linux so I've been listening to more music on my phone, but I don't love wearing wireless earbuds for long stretches and I have a decent pair of open-can AKGs that I'd prefer to keep using despite their mini-stereo jack, so if any of yall have a recommendation for something that works in that space I'm all ears

i know linux famously doesn’t have audio but can’t you use the web client if it comes to it