Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

what the gently caress

it's true and if this wasn't the internet i'd blind a/b prove it till your ears fell off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

it's true and if this wasn't the internet i'd blind a/b prove it till your ears fell off
there are minor differences in the opamp stage and some expensive hand built ones have more noise than they should because of poor design or shielding but if any of that is audible is extremely unlikely

it's probably more work to build one that sounds different, that's why you have companies like chord rolling their own using fpgas or this polish guy who will attach light bulbs for seven grand. or you could just use some eq to tune your sound like a sane person but that would be a lot less expensive and complicated which would defeat the purpose

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

mediaphage posted:

i know linux famously doesn’t have audio but can’t you use the web client if it comes to it

I actually didn't know there was a web client :shobon:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Dijkstracula posted:

i don't think they let you stream the dolby atmos stuff, but it doesn't work on mobile (ios or android) without an external dac anyway, and either way certainly doesn't work with airpods. the only way i've been able to get it to actually give me high quality audio was by using an android device hooked up to my fiio btr3, which also functions as an external dac. it works with linux or windows too, but again i don't know if the web client will give you the stream anyway

so again seconding that recommendation, it's a really capable yet small device. they have a more advanced btr5 and btr1k now too but honestly the btr3 suits my needs very well

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Jonny 290 posted:

fancy dacs are absolute snake oil meant to thin wallets when people run out of turntables and speakers to buy. dont worry about it your scarlett is up to the task

oh totally. i've like never seen any fancy dacs in recording studios which leads me to believe regular ol pro stuff is more than enough

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive always thought that dacs were pretty snakeoily but wasn't gonna argue with anybody about it. it makes me feel good to see people whose opinions i generally respect confirm this belief

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Beeftweeter posted:

my fiio btr3

so again seconding that recommendation
Nice, checked this one out and looks like it's what I'm after (though lol @ the feature where you can buy two and use them as mono blocks for each channel)

Dijkstracula posted:

also the other half of things, apropos of nothing, is that I actually like using the Apple Music Classical app a lot and that's currently ios-only

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good news, friends! the absolute sound just published their 2023 editor's choice list of best tonearms $10,000 and up

quote:

This fabulous aluminum tonearm is built up millimeter by millimeter via a selective-laser-melting process to produce a resonance-free structure impossible to create by any other means. (Internally, the ’arm has tree-branch-like “limbs” that connect its inner tube to an outer tube, channeling resonances like a grounding wire channels RF.) With highest-precision/tolerance ceramic bearings, the TA-9000 is as sonically invisible (and utterly imperturbable) as Acoustic Signature’s fabulous Invictus turntables. Fully adjustable for VTA/SRA, VTF, azimuth, and anti-skate, the TA-9000 (in combination with the Invicti) is one of the most realistic-sounding source components JV has heard; when used with the fabulous DS Audio Grand Master optical cartridge, it rivals the timbral and dynamic continuousness and diorama-like three-dimensionality of reel-to-reel mastertapes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll show you some diorama-like three-dimensionality

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

good news, friends! the absolute sound just published their 2023 editor's choice list of best tonearms $10,000 and up

that laser record player is only $15000

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

Nice, checked this one out and looks like it's what I'm after (though lol @ the feature where you can buy two and use them as mono blocks for each channel)

also the other half of things, apropos of nothing, is that I actually like using the Apple Music Classical app a lot and that's currently ios-only

btr5 gang. its good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Dijkstracula posted:

i don't have a sub to it, but for the classical music app you should be able to use the btr stuff with an ipad. for iphone i've never tried using the lightning-usb 3 camera connector kit (you'd need a usb a to c cable also) but i don't see why that wouldn't work

afaik ios devices only send aac (or worse, sbc) over bluetooth so i think that wouldn't work for high quality output

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at your pitiful, lesser-tier btrs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nobody actually needs the btr7, it is too chonky for portable use I just got a good deal on an open box and wanted something to leave plugged in, I use my quedelix 5k for actual portable bluetooth situation

e: I have used my btr7 and 5k wired from my ipad with my good headphones and they both sound great, I also got a lightning to usb cable to play with and it kinda works but the dumb chain of devices it creates is ridiculous

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 2, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the btr3 owns, its like the size of a pack of gum and does everything i'd want it to

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You guys do know that we ran a prolific poster out of here like 10 years ago for doing this poo poo,, right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i suppose its fine as long as you're not like carrying this stuff around on the bus or w/e

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hell no, I have AirPods

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

You guys do know that we ran a prolific poster out of here like 10 years ago for doing this poo poo,, right

i dont know that, sounds like it's story time

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

put the danged crystals on your wires, jonny

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

speaking of turntable stuff. the furthest I took it into audiophile territory was buying this record

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/35532/Analogue_Productions-The_Ultimate_Analogue_Test_LP-Turntable_Set_Up_Tools

and hooking up my oscilloscope to my speakers output after jamming some cheap 8ohm 100watt resistors into the
amp

The record comes with some instructions on what you should be seeing on the scopes output and has some advice on how to troubleshoot and fix issues.

It surprisingly caught a couple of issues with my setup that I otherwise couldn’t hear. afterwards playing records was noticeably nicer experience.

Other lessons I learned. There are a lot of self described audiophile/HiFi enthusiasts out there. But hardly any of them bother to do this. Another issue I had was because so few people bother with this type of record. Figuring out what to look for and how to troubleshoot it was a lot of trial and error. There wasn’t much on the net that I could crib from. I guess your sophisticated enough to know or your never going to bother in the first place.

would recommend it tho. its a fiddly way to get familiar with your setup. seems to pay dividends if you stick with it and get everything just right. way better value than buying nicer equipment

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s a cool new phono preamp called the puffin that can do a lot of those diagnostics and correction. sadly it does this by doing it in the digital domain which means that analog purists refuse to use it [it’s still selling pretty well to non-idiots]

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my turntable from 1974 sounds great thru my amp from 1976, neither being recapped. true audio bliss is not caring

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

true audio bliss is not caring

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
audio peeps need to listen to more music they enjoy instead of trying to make hotel california sound good imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one thing that feels a bit embarassing to mention but gently caress it, is that I tend to listen to the same music I always have rather than seeking out new music. I mean I do sometimes but I know some people pretty much always listening to new and different music whereas I usually listen to stuff I know quite well.

which idk some might judge me and say I don’t love music as much as them idk

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
its fine op. it came in phases to me, personally, with my teenagehood listening to like the same three albums and cutting out singles from albums, then i got into the Age Of Discovery and made monthly top 10 lists of albums, and now after that i kinda settled on the nest egg of various artists i already know i like

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
music is kinda like god or gender in that your relationship with it is personal and not to be judged and you can also opt out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:hmmyes:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
id really like to get a turntable back up & running but ive got an old B&O that take crazy cartridges and all the music i listen to was all recorded on a lovely 4 track anyway so idk its sorta a pointless expense for me, but i do think nice audio setups are nice.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

one thing that feels a bit embarassing to mention but gently caress it, is that I tend to listen to the same music I always have rather than seeking out new music. I mean I do sometimes but I know some people pretty much always listening to new and different music whereas I usually listen to stuff I know quite well.

Apple Music’s new music playlist has actually been sporadically good at expanding my horizons. I’ve picked up Roosevelt, Yumi Zouma and Kainalu among others, some of my favorite music in there now

I don’t tend to seek out new stuff very often though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I also stopped caring about full albums and just stick the songs I like in one big playlist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

echinopsis posted:

yeah i still listen to new stuff but i usually fall back to what's familiar. as i've aged i figure who cares, enjoy what you like

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

echinopsis posted:

like what you like, its fine, being hip with music is a full time job

but if you wanna expand your range

youtube's recommends are usually REALLY good these days, i'd prob listen via that if i really wanted to find stuff tangential

you can also seek out whatever college or college style radio stuff is around you (https://www.wfmu.org is online if you dont have that and really wanna spin the wheel on new music)

i remember when pandora was fresh and new, that was good times cause it did stuff by taxonomy (incl musical styles and arrangement) rather than listening patterns (which is what everyone else does i think, or is manually curated)

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

goblin week posted:

audio peeps need to listen to more music they enjoy instead of trying to make hotel california sound good imo

sorry what now? I can't hear you over aja

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

goblin week posted:

dark side of the moon

it's always dark side of the moon

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

spotify’s automatic album/artist radio has been real good for discovering new music for me in the past, but it seems to have taken a nosedive in quality in recent months which i suspect is related to whatever ai shenanigans they’re up to

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

gnatalie posted:

sorry what now? I can't hear you over aja

i runnn toooo youuuuuuuuu~~uuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

isn’t the general consensus nowadays that the $10 apple usb-c dac is 99% as good as every other standalone dac if you just need output