Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

one thing that feels a bit embarassing to mention but gently caress it, is that I tend to listen to the same music I always have rather than seeking out new music. I mean I do sometimes but I know some people pretty much always listening to new and different music whereas I usually listen to stuff I know quite well.

which idk some might judge me and say I don’t love music as much as them idk

spotify discover weekly owns imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

git apologist posted:

isn’t the general consensus nowadays that the $10 apple usb-c dac is 99% as good as every other standalone dac if you just need output

it's extremely competent and i would do a big show of putting it on my oscilloscope etc except i dont care. but yeah the dongle is Fine

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just knocked my headphones on the floor and they've stopped working :(

e: for better thread relevance they are some Bowers & Wilkins PX7 I've had for a few years, but disappointing that they've just stopped working.

e2: oh wow I have found the series 2 version half price, gonna get them

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 8, 2023

81523_5
Aug 16, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8kmNEo1i8

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i need deeper earcups for my samson SR850s

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

have you ever had sex with audio

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but i turn on subtitles too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if anyone wants some actual bass the svs sale is on and you can get their entry level model for 350

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

roon was just bought by Harman, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung. rip to the one poster who uses it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah that's me. I'm assuming they bought it because they finally figured out nobody at samsung can actually write working software, unfortunately the roon folks now work there which means they can't, either. the good news is it'll probably take them a couple years to actually ruin it

I'd guess an early order of business is figuring out some way to turn us lifetime license folks back into sources of recurring revenue. at least if it goes totally tits up is plexamp is getting better

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol fart simpson could possibly be in charge of the product now. he works for harman

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
also i was wondering if anyone knows what makes a chromebook audio soc so special?

over the past few days i've been flashing coreboot on mine so i can boot some actually useful OSes and every single time there's a problem with audio (yes, haha lol on linux, but, believe it or not, more so on windows). on linux you just need to rip a firmware image from chromeos (or a recovery tarball), but getting it to work on windows is more of a struggle

so what gives? afaik they are just fairly typical integrated intel audio codecs. they don't even seem to (by default) have any of the value add features i've seen in the various drivers i cobbled together to get it to work on windows

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

roon was just bought by Harman, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung. rip to the one poster who uses it

lol, this must be why i was just asked to spec Roon Ready into my new speakers a month ago

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fart simpson posted:

lol, this must be why i was just asked to spec Roon Ready into my new speakers a month ago

i knew it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there is essentially 0 chance of me working on roon itself tho. not my section of the company

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fart simpson posted:

there is essentially 0 chance of me working on roon itself tho. not my section of the company

well you could always stage a coup. or just get someone to put in an easter egg to specifically annoy qirex

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

You guys do know that we ran a prolific poster out of here like 10 years ago for doing this poo poo,, right

teapot?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol got dat wmd

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

lol got dat wmd

that guy got run out becuse he was a shithead and cop apoligist who happened to get all irate one day about headphones or something. If you're not a dick you're welcome to post whatever you want (except anime of course)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and making fun of palm

rotor fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 30, 2023

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

or anything besides breakfast-related stuff in the breakfast thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

anyway you get the idea

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

rotor posted:

anyway you get the idea

dont forget creeping on people on g+ and elsewhere

also 'my dad's aston' lmao

e: more like got dat ptsd lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

dont forget creeping on people on g+ and elsewhere

also 'my dad's aston' lmao

e: more like got dat ptsd lol

remember how solemn he would get about the boston molasses disaster?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

and how weirdly creepy he'd talk about his sister?

anyway, that dude sucked. everyone who doesnt suck is free to post about whatever ridiculous nerd poo poo they want to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and tbf our standards are extremely low anyway I mean I’m still tolerated

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

rotor posted:

and how weirdly creepy he'd talk about his sister?

anyway, that dude sucked. everyone who doesnt suck is free to post about whatever ridiculous nerd poo poo they want to.

I like my headpones

echinopsis posted:

and tbf our standards are extremely low anyway I mean I’m still tolerated

mate

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
the problem with nice headphones is they keep making nicer headphones

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

the problem with nice headphones is they keep making nicer headphones

by microscopic increments in that case

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
also wrong. the best headphones were made in 1979

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite giant headphones [focal elegia] are down to like three hundo if you can still find them

e: oh if you buy them the stock cable is balls but it's not proprietary so I've been using the 2m version of this one

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 30, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It’s hard to know where to start in describing the technology in Shunyata products, and hard to know where to stop. There is a lot of tech and it is not the same as in other companies’ power cords and conditioners. Typical power conditioners are made up of components that I learned about in school – transformers, capacitors, and inductors. With Shunyata, we get into new stuff, quite a bit of it.

In some cases, the purpose of a particular Shunyata technology is similar to those components that we already know – Shunyata’s QR/BB™ module “possesses the ability to act as an electric charge reservoir”. This sounds like what a capacitor does – indeed the patent for QR/BB technology starts with a description of how a capacitor functions in a power conditioner but also mentions the problem with that application – capacitors are great at delivering voltage, limited at delivering current. This well-known issue even has a name for those in the power business: Power Factor. You’ll see ‘Power Factor Correction’ mentioned here and there – but the methods for doing that (correcting) are limited. Until now. This is how it goes with Shunyata – the founder Caelin Gabriel comes up with real solutions to problems that others leave unsolved. If I understand what QR/BB is doing it solves the power factor problem with a structure that seems pretty similar to a capacitor but manages to store more electrons (needed for current) than a regular capacitor would. In addition, QR/BB performs this function without adding the reactance that a capacitor would. You can think of reactance as frequency-dependent resistance that is inherent in capacitors.

In the patent for QR/BB, there is a brief description of what I think of as “The Problem” – that’s “The” with a long ‘e’. Here is “The Problem”: “In a typical power supply for an electronic device, the power supply draws current from the power line in pulses. Current is only drawn at the positive and negative peaks of the AC voltage waveform. The storage capacitors for the power supply maintain a relatively stable DC voltage, and the rectification diodes only turn on when the AC waveform voltage exceeds the stored voltage level in the capacitor array. When the rectification diodes do turn on there is a high surge of current drawn *directly* from the AC power line. The sudden demand for instantaneous current from the power supply can exceed the capacity of the power line to deliver current efficiently…” It goes on but that is the gist of it. (Note: I added the italics and the “*directly*” in there). So, the notion that the DC power supply is solving all of the issues is not correct. It shouldn’t be surprising that using diodes to rectify AC to DC and then storing a charge with some amount of capacitance is not a perfect process, far from it.

The need to draw directly from the mains supply at certain times is part one of “The Problem”. Part two is what happens when the valves (diodes) close.

Let’s re-word that whole thing in terms of the water pipe analogy that works pretty well for AC power delivery. The basic analogy is there is a big pipe with fresh water from your local municipality. It’s got sufficient pressure behind it to get the water where it needs to go. The more one faucet takes the less is available for others but if the pressure is enough you wouldn’t notice – it all depends on the size of the pipes etc., etc. Okay, what is missing from that analogy is how the small pipes draw from the big pipe. Turning on a faucet for a steady flow does not mimic what is happening with a power supply that is converting AC to DC and using that to drive an audio signal (with its variations). You can come close to what a rectification circuit is doing if you were to modify the high-speed on/off faucet in some clothes washers and make them open and close multiple times in a second – thereby causing tremendous water-hammer and rattling your pipes, bigly. Back in the electronics world: quite simply, as the rectification circuit opens and closes, noise is sent back into the mains, affecting all the other components. This is a widely ignored issue.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

This is a widely ignored issue.

well I'm certainly ignoring it, I'll tell you that much

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if there's one thing audiophile reviewers excel at it's incredibly bullshit metaphors

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

for whatever reason it never occurs to these people that you could in-fact just run your hi-fi system off a couple of car batteries and be 100% DC power throughout the system and remove about 50% of the things they like to complain about.

but nope. gotta buy more expensive power supplies and conditioners

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yummycheese posted:

for whatever reason it never occurs to these people that you could in-fact just run your hi-fi system off a couple of car batteries and be 100% DC power throughout the system and remove about 50% of the things they like to complain about.

but nope. gotta buy more expensive power supplies and conditioners

there are definitely people who do this, and a preference among certain segments to prefer linear power supplies over switching ones

for some reason none of them has ever used an oscilloscope

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

wait, so are they saying that the conversion from AC -> DC has such a terrible effect on their precious sound quality that they need to spend $9000 on a cable?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

wait, so are they saying that the conversion from AC -> DC has such a terrible effect on their precious sound quality that they need to spend $9000 on a cable?

yes.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Omega QR's VTX-Ag conductors are the result of a 20-year design progression steeped in credible science and definitive measurement.

I'm sorry you guys dont trust the science. I guess you're free to "do your own research" if you wont trust experts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that article is extremely electronically wrong, but this in particular

> The sudden demand for instantaneous current from the power supply can exceed the capacity of the power line to deliver current efficiently…”

These motherfuckers are all running Class A amps with like 30% efficiency, shut uuuuuuuppppppppp

it's not an instantaneous demand for 120 volts! the capacitors are (if properly sized) already just a volt or two under the peak and just taking current for a little bit! thats why we use them - they smooth out the ripples!!!! auuuugh