Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Elder Postsman posted:

same and one time they gave me a playlist that was all bangers and i listened to it on repeat for like a month and then i had to reboot for an update or something and could not find it again. it was very sad.

add it to your library as you find a good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i go back and forth with cans and earbuds, i have some er4xr buds i like, a pair of ATH-M50xs, a pair of akgs i need to resolder a connection on, then a few bluetooths, some powerbeats pro i got at auction, my old sennie momentums, etc but

i got some airpods max on sale and i super dig them though the band is a little too small for my unnatural head. i can't really wear corded headphones in the house because i'm constantly getting the cord caught on poo poo so i like the wireless, and the noise cancellation is superb for my needs. big fan, i don't care if it's cool to hate on them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Snuff Melange posted:

I might get run out of this thread for this (justly so), but am I wrong to feel like expensive computer headsets have very quickly diminishing returns for the increased cost? I run a $20 headset and I feel I great fine, even great audio. Several of my friends have $200+ headsets and it feels extremely excessive to me.

I know it's probably a YMMV thing based on what you do and how much you'll appreciate the higher fidelity, but I just find myself skeptical that for an extra $180 you're getting that much appreciably better of audio quality.

idk im skeptical generally of "computer headsets" versus traditional can oems. i will say that you can absolutely tell the difference between a pair of $20 headphones from a trad oem and a pair of their $200 phones. i think it's actually fine to spend that much on a pair of good (corded especially) headphones if it isn't a burden. the diminishing returns thing really kicks in when you go up another level imo tho perhaps some golden eared motherfucker can tell the difference better than i can

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

I'd always had solid $100-200 headphones but then focal discontinued the elegias and was selling them for like 60% off msrp so I took a gamble and they're clearly better, like immediate and obvious superiority. I can not imagine buying fancier ones or ever bringing these into an office but the good news is these will last forever while airpods max and bose stuff will be in a landfill in a couple years

yeah, i'm talking orders of magnitude, like there's $20 phones, $200 phones, and $2000 phones, and just like speakers at some point it's not worth it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i still have a pair of sennies i bought like 12 years ago that use KLEER wireless tech which is a proprietary alternative to bluetooth for sending audio wirelessly. they work pretty flippin great. twitch gamers probably wouldn't want to rely on them but for normal stuff there's basically no lag which is impressive considering their date.

the bonus is that they come with a puck that you can just plug any 3.5mm cable into so you can use them with tons of stuff

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dijkstracula posted:

my family owns a hi-fi and record store so I spent a lot of time in the presence of expensive gear that I couldn't tell the difference between after a certain point, but it did mean that I was exposed to Criterion laserdiscs at a very young age so it's impossible to know if it's bad or not

Once I graduate and start making figgies again, and presumably living somewhere apart from an apartment with thin walls, I'd like to get some sort of setup going again

I am in the market for a small DAC, though: I use Apple Music but my workstation in the lab runs Linux so I've been listening to more music on my phone, but I don't love wearing wireless earbuds for long stretches and I have a decent pair of open-can AKGs that I'd prefer to keep using despite their mini-stereo jack, so if any of yall have a recommendation for something that works in that space I'm all ears

i know linux famously doesn’t have audio but can’t you use the web client if it comes to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this mf account old enough to be president

not in the us at least