Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

All Schitt DAC's will 100% die in some stupid short timeframe (a couple of years) because the IC package they use had some issues.

There is a million posts online about it. People have figured out you can attach little tiny USB powered heaters onto the IC to "solve" it

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/please-help-schiit-modi-2-not-being-recognized-anymore-by-windows.5943/page-5

The company refuses to acknowledge the problem publicly despite having written 40,000 words online about how great they are and the big guys are meanies. Screw them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

anyway. it me. im the audiophile idiot.

I built a Bottlehead Crack headphone amp a few years ago and have played around with swapping various tubes around in it that I picked up for cheap at flea markets.

The local guy at the Hi-Fi shop made fun of me when i told him i had one but whatever. I think it’s neat.

https://bottlehead.com/product/crack-1-1-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

Stained the wood black and it came out pretty nice

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

best thing about audiophile stuff locally is we still have a vibrant college radio scene.

by comparison I kinda hate streaming services. much rather listen to a DJ that knows how to pick stuff and introduce me to interesting music.

spotify’s algo is terrible compared to the real life DJ’s

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

modern headphones are really really good though. you don't even need to spend a lot to get a good pair these days

I have a set of these Beyerdynamic's which seem to hit a decent sweet spot for quality vs. value.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-990-pro.html

Seem fine to me. Use them every day and they are comfy.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

speaking of turntable stuff. the furthest I took it into audiophile territory was buying this record

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/35532/Analogue_Productions-The_Ultimate_Analogue_Test_LP-Turntable_Set_Up_Tools

and hooking up my oscilloscope to my speakers output after jamming some cheap 8ohm 100watt resistors into the
amp

The record comes with some instructions on what you should be seeing on the scopes output and has some advice on how to troubleshoot and fix issues.

It surprisingly caught a couple of issues with my setup that I otherwise couldn’t hear. afterwards playing records was noticeably nicer experience.

Other lessons I learned. There are a lot of self described audiophile/HiFi enthusiasts out there. But hardly any of them bother to do this. Another issue I had was because so few people bother with this type of record. Figuring out what to look for and how to troubleshoot it was a lot of trial and error. There wasn’t much on the net that I could crib from. I guess your sophisticated enough to know or your never going to bother in the first place.

would recommend it tho. its a fiddly way to get familiar with your setup. seems to pay dividends if you stick with it and get everything just right. way better value than buying nicer equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

for whatever reason it never occurs to these people that you could in-fact just run your hi-fi system off a couple of car batteries and be 100% DC power throughout the system and remove about 50% of the things they like to complain about.

but nope. gotta buy more expensive power supplies and conditioners