Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

serious question: what's the least effort way to tell if a given piece of broken audio equipment is garbage consumer e-waste, or somehow desirable for parts or repairs?

bathroom scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Share Bear posted:

in other stuff, i'm sort of looking for new receivers. did all the hdmi crap get ironed out? is there something specific i should look for? who's a good brand now?

hdmi is fine, some streaming providers lock down poo poo on 1.4 but idk anything about that

my aventage is very nice but even the regular yamahas are good. There's not one particularly good or bad major brand, pick what you know. i stick with yamaha stuff bc i have a bunch already

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah man like, fight the power

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whoa....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ehhhh not really. theres lots of 2.4ghz flying around but its all built to kind of run through each other and inverse cube means that signal strength is super flea powered more than a few feet away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c audiophile s: Picked up a time capsule from ebay.

These are not 'accurate' headphones. They can arguably be uncomfortable headphones. but

quote:

Sony MDR-V700 Over-Ear DJ Headphones - Silver.

Bought it but never used and just stored in closet.

these are the headphones you used in 1998 when playing your records

Countered with an offer that i considered a little low and they accepted, so hell yeah.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

if sony remade them with metal post holders I'd buy new ones but I will not fall prey to that nostalgia. besides I still have a working pair of 7506

if they'd been popular like 10-15 years later i bet we'd have some dude CNC'ing replacement hinge assemblies out of aluminum or something and it'd be amazing

they're a bit vintagey for people to get that sweaty over though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have an early 80s 2.0 setup and a 2022 7.1.2 setup. both are good for their tasks but yeah a good stereo rig is just fine. surround is nice for when i smoke a bowl or w/e but you gotta have the right room placement. i basically can't rearrange my living room ever because there's only one way that poo poo will work right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you know i just realized this, its a little strange that some weirdo didn't buy NEC's last laserdisc fab or whatever and there's probably no way to pay somebody $995 to press a custom oneoff dubplate laserdisc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
fancy dacs are absolute snake oil meant to thin wallets when people run out of turntables and speakers to buy. dont worry about it your scarlett is up to the task

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

what the gently caress

it's true and if this wasn't the internet i'd blind a/b prove it till your ears fell off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'll show you some diorama-like three-dimensionality

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You guys do know that we ran a prolific poster out of here like 10 years ago for doing this poo poo,, right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i suppose its fine as long as you're not like carrying this stuff around on the bus or w/e

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

git apologist posted:

isn’t the general consensus nowadays that the $10 apple usb-c dac is 99% as good as every other standalone dac if you just need output

it's extremely competent and i would do a big show of putting it on my oscilloscope etc except i dont care. but yeah the dongle is Fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but i turn on subtitles too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol got dat wmd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that article is extremely electronically wrong, but this in particular

> The sudden demand for instantaneous current from the power supply can exceed the capacity of the power line to deliver current efficiently…”

These motherfuckers are all running Class A amps with like 30% efficiency, shut uuuuuuuppppppppp

it's not an instantaneous demand for 120 volts! the capacitors are (if properly sized) already just a volt or two under the peak and just taking current for a little bit! thats why we use them - they smooth out the ripples!!!! auuuugh