Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have a pair of airpods pro too. they're okay, i like the microphones. for listening to stuff my $20 kz chinese earbuds are better though, even without an amp. i use a fiio btr-3 for that

you can swap the 2-pin cable with a different one, but they're 3.5mm by default. i have a usb-c cable for them but i've never seen a lightning one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jenny Agutter posted:

nice honeypot op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
removable cables own. i'm not getting another pair without one

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
drugs do change the perception of music. even something kinda mundane like gabapentin does it

it's even better with good equipment though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

have you ever listened to high res audio... on alcohol?

too often

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think at the $20 price point you can absolutely tell the difference. but if you go a little higher and get like $50 chinese iems the difference between them and $100+ earbuds is less obvious. i got some kz ones that were around $60 (both ZS10 and AS10s) and you most likely would not be able to tell the difference between them and $150+ ones

but they're kinda cheap feeling, pretty big and sometimes uncomfortable. i don't mind that, but i think that's really what you're paying for

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean, kz zs7s are my daily drivers, i usually use the aforementioned fiio amp with them so they even work with poo poo without a 3.5mm jack. they were i think $25, sound amazing for the price, and are built like tanks

the problem is that they're built like tanks. they're aluminum, big and relatively heavy for iems but you can throw them in your pocket without worrying that they'll break, and if they do, they were cheap

but they're not perfect so i have better pairs for when i need that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i got a cheap little bluetooth 5.0 receiver to use with my pc (i use toslink but it also just takes any 3.5mm input). works with apt-x lossless so the sound quality is pretty good as is the latency

then i connect it to the fiio btr3 and then my headphones. works great

iirc it was about $20. i'd post it but the amazon link is dead

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it's not a dongle per se. it's a dedicated device that takes audio input, recompresses it on the fly with the requested codec, and broadcasts it over bluetooth. there's only a microusb port for power (it's kinda old though, i imagine newer ones use usb-c)

ime the usb dongles have bad antennas and can pretty easily suffer from interference

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah but the receiver i'm talking about is about the size of a hockey puck. it must have a similarly sized antenna because it worked very well from across a 1200 sq ft apartment

e: lol stupid ipad deleted "must"

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 18, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
modern headphones are really really good though. you don't even need to spend a lot to get a good pair these days

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
check out fiio's btr series

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dijkstracula posted:

I actually didn't know there was a web client :shobon:

i don't think they let you stream the dolby atmos stuff, but it doesn't work on mobile (ios or android) without an external dac anyway, and either way certainly doesn't work with airpods. the only way i've been able to get it to actually give me high quality audio was by using an android device hooked up to my fiio btr3, which also functions as an external dac. it works with linux or windows too, but again i don't know if the web client will give you the stream anyway

so again seconding that recommendation, it's a really capable yet small device. they have a more advanced btr5 and btr1k now too but honestly the btr3 suits my needs very well

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dijkstracula posted:

Nice, checked this one out and looks like it's what I'm after (though lol @ the feature where you can buy two and use them as mono blocks for each channel)

also the other half of things, apropos of nothing, is that I actually like using the Apple Music Classical app a lot and that's currently ios-only

i don't have a sub to it, but for the classical music app you should be able to use the btr stuff with an ipad. for iphone i've never tried using the lightning-usb 3 camera connector kit (you'd need a usb a to c cable also) but i don't see why that wouldn't work

afaik ios devices only send aac (or worse, sbc) over bluetooth so i think that wouldn't work for high quality output

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the btr3 owns, its like the size of a pack of gum and does everything i'd want it to

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

one thing that feels a bit embarassing to mention but gently caress it, is that I tend to listen to the same music I always have rather than seeking out new music. I mean I do sometimes but I know some people pretty much always listening to new and different music whereas I usually listen to stuff I know quite well.

which idk some might judge me and say I don’t love music as much as them idk

yeah i still listen to new stuff but i usually fall back to what's familiar. as i've aged i figure who cares, enjoy what you like

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol fart simpson could possibly be in charge of the product now. he works for harman

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i was wondering if anyone knows what makes a chromebook audio soc so special?

over the past few days i've been flashing coreboot on mine so i can boot some actually useful OSes and every single time there's a problem with audio (yes, haha lol on linux, but, believe it or not, more so on windows). on linux you just need to rip a firmware image from chromeos (or a recovery tarball), but getting it to work on windows is more of a struggle

so what gives? afaik they are just fairly typical integrated intel audio codecs. they don't even seem to (by default) have any of the value add features i've seen in the various drivers i cobbled together to get it to work on windows

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

lol, this must be why i was just asked to spec Roon Ready into my new speakers a month ago

i knew it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

there is essentially 0 chance of me working on roon itself tho. not my section of the company

well you could always stage a coup. or just get someone to put in an easter egg to specifically annoy qirex

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

I do not understand the iem industry where hundreds of tiny companies compete to make the most baroque arrangement of drivers in a tiny liver shaped capsule covered in glitter. I think they're like mobile gaming where they try to find "whales" who like the brand and will pay two thousand dollars for something like this.

I also know this is halo gear to sell more of the sub-$50 stuff [of which there's people who buy 1-3 pairs a month]

yeah this is basically the same as my ~$50 KZ iems, and those were probably marked up by at least 25%

like, the sheer proliferation of them makes me think it's just extremely cheap to make a good sounding set these days. plus, i mean, fart basically said as much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

cd changers are back, baby!

only $550! I also enjoy that in their own publicity shot the feet and finish doesn't match their other stereo gear

while looking around amazon on black friday i saw a ton of no-name chinese ODM amps, tuners and yeah, even some cd changers. all told it seemed like you could get a decent stereo set for about $150, the amps and such were like $45 lol

e: a stereo set of questionable quality, of course, but who knows. i've rolled the dice on poo poo like that (well, ok, mostly camera equipment, flash memory and IEMs) multiple times and it's been far more good than bad

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

If I buy a CD player made in 2023 and play my Japanese 1982 copy of Wish You Were Here, do you think it would set the pre-emphasis flag on the optical out?

if it follows the red book spec (and the cd has the flag), then yes? idgi

imo the real question is whether your receiver (or the cd player, i guess) would interpret it correctly and apply de-emphasis