Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i made love to audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

mildly spicy take: schiit audio makes garbage products and you should avoid them. if you want a us assembled dac look at jds labs or geshelli

well thats why they call it poo poo audio

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

youtubers were getting demonetized when doing reviews of their stuff so now they beep it out

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I bought a new receiver with a 20 years newer DAC, which prompted me to order an aliexpress knockoff optical out hat for my Pi because my current USB sound card won't do 24/192 optical out

I know everything past CD resolution is a complete waste for playback, but I just can't help myself

u need dsd

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Share Bear posted:

in other stuff, i'm sort of looking for new receivers. did all the hdmi crap get ironed out? is there something specific i should look for? who's a good brand now?

harman kardon lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

drugs do change the perception of music. even something kinda mundane like gabapentin does it

it's even better with good equipment though

have you ever listened to high res audio... on alcohol?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

I can absolutely tell the difference between $20 headphones and $100 headphones, ive never really tried anything more expensive though

form factor is king. ive tried $1000 in ears that dont sound as good as $99 over ears

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

you know i just realized this, its a little strange that some weirdo didn't buy NEC's last laserdisc fab or whatever and there's probably no way to pay somebody $995 to press a custom oneoff dubplate laserdisc

sounds like a goon project

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

what is the right amount of "acoustic treatment" in a room with speakers?

a lot more than in a room without speakers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but srsly, as much as you can get away with. by the time your spending low-mid 3 figgies on speakers then your room acoustics start being the weak link for basically every room

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

have you ever had sex with audio

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

roon was just bought by Harman, a wholly owned subsidiary of Samsung. rip to the one poster who uses it

lol, this must be why i was just asked to spec Roon Ready into my new speakers a month ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

there is essentially 0 chance of me working on roon itself tho. not my section of the company

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Elder Postsman posted:

wait, so are they saying that the conversion from AC -> DC has such a terrible effect on their precious sound quality that they need to spend $9000 on a cable?

are you new here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think it's reasonable to spend $800 on headphones if you have the money, but you're already way into diminishing returns up there

i got $1000 in ear headphones from work for free and, i think due to the form factor, they sound only barely better than $50 in ears imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

giant over ear cans is where the sound quality is at

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

I do not understand the iem industry where hundreds of tiny companies compete to make the most baroque arrangement of drivers in a tiny liver shaped capsule covered in glitter. I think they're like mobile gaming where they try to find "whales" who like the brand and will pay two thousand dollars for something like this.

I also know this is halo gear to sell more of the sub-$50 stuff [of which there's people who buy 1-3 pairs a month]

thats some lazy rear end bump mapping on that product render

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

president beep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

if it follows the red book spec (and the cd has the flag), then yes? idgi

imo the real question is whether your receiver (or the cd player, i guess) would interpret it correctly and apply de-emphasis

this guy wants to make love to audio. lol