Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Every oldest sibling I know regularly thought about "what am I gonna do if our parents die and I gotta be the sole breadwinner?" while they were growing up.

So: what was your plan? How were you gonna make it work? Did you think "well we'll probably be with extended family so maybe we won't starve" or "goddamn I'm gonna have to drop out of school and start working at Dairy Queen?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

As an eldest sibling myself the thought never crossed my mind, so there goes your theory OP.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Stealin'

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I also never once thought about this as a kid.

I did put some thought into what would happen if I I magically won millions of dollars, though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
had 3 younger siblings and never thought this once op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

aunts, uncles, grandparents op

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
so what I'm hearing is that y'all were bad siblings or my friends were anxiety-ridden disasters

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I too, like many in this here thread, did not think about this.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

pretty weird thread op

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

Peggy Edson posted:

pretty weird thread op

yep. not enough to gas for psycho posting or vote 1 in but howevre deeply revealing about ops inner psyche

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

aunts, uncles, grandparents op

Yeah unless OP and his friends had zero extended family this would be the natural assumption if you ever even thought about this as a kid.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Hey OP I'm curious where in the world you are from? Not the eldest sibling here but I always thought relatives or the government would step in to help in case children were orphaned.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Hey OP I'm curious where in the world you are from? Not the eldest sibling here but I always thought relatives or the government would step in to help in case children were orphaned.

Yeah, this would be interesting to hear.

My family was pretty poor growing up and then eventually hit lower-middle class, but I was never imagining a world where I'd be an underage fry cook or something to keep the lights on. And I read a bunch of The Boxcar Children books growing up, too.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Who the hell were you hanging out with

Sounds like you or your friends had lovely parents.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I’d get my rear end to the ho stroll and grind that poo poo for dimes

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I gave up my aspirations for journalism and started touching computers.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PkDHuaXi8

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I figured I would have no choice but to work for "the company" hunting down the renegade assassin who slew my parents OP

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
In my family my parents had set up a system of godparents who would take over raising me and my siblings in case they kicked the bucket. Did anyone else have the same thing?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am the oldest of my siblings, my cousins, my step siblings, everyone.

In more ancient times I would get to inherit everything.

Now? My plan is to flee to Mexico and change my name.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I always worried I'd have to take care of my disabled brother

Now I am

:shrug:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Between both sides of the tree, I have ten sets of aunts and uncles, so I was just going to call them (in ascending order of how far away they were) until someone answered.

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

In my family my parents had set up a system of godparents who would take over raising me and my siblings in case they kicked the bucket. Did anyone else have the same thing?

I am godfather to my friend's kid. When she was 13 I told her that meant if her parents died, I would become her legal guardian and that I would change her name to Pnurtis.

She now answers to "Pnurt" but I don't even have to take care of her. Win/win.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 18, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m an only child op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

But real talk I have been thinking of what will happen with my Mom and despite all my reasoning against it, I suspect she will end up moving in with me up here. I'm gonna hate it, but I am also a dutiful and honor bound son.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Yeah I think about that kind of thing now but I sure didn't as a small child.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

redshirt posted:

But real talk I have been thinking of what will happen with my Mom and despite all my reasoning against it, I suspect she will end up moving in with me up here. I'm gonna hate it, but I am also a dutiful and honor bound son.

I like you

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m an only child op

that explains it

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm the eldest, and this thought never once occurred to me. Were you raised on a steady diet of Charles Dickens and Greek tragedies or something?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

kntfkr posted:

that explains it

lol. yep.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

AcidCat posted:

As an eldest sibling myself the thought never crossed my mind, so there goes your theory OP.

:emptyquote:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

an only child is still the eldest sibling

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
there's a pretty good blueprint of how to handle it, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KM_8jebQ8

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm the eldest, and this thought never once occurred to me. Were you raised on a steady diet of Charles Dickens and Greek tragedies or something?

Do you plan for the future?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

an only child is still the eldest sibling

But they are also the youngest sibling. Makes you think.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

But they are also the youngest sibling. Makes you think.

Got no rules.

Yet also has all the rules....

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

An only child can't be a sibling, "each of two or more children or offspring having one or both parents in common".
Sorry you solo acts, but you're in sibling limbo. Unless you're hiding some parasitic fetus inside your liver or something.

Really though I never made a plan, wouldn't be the worst if my parents dropped. All my siblings are over 20 and living on their own now so I don't have to make a contingency plan anyways.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If only I could have been born rich, or royalty. I'd be Lording it up right now.

Alas, I got a back scratcher when my last grandparent died.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
My grandparents gave everything to my parents and they're gonna blow it all on Viking River Cruises if I don't act fast!~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

My grandparents gave everything to my parents and they're gonna blow it all on Viking River Cruises if I don't act fast!~

Go on a Viking River Cruise with them. The rest of the story writes itself....