Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So E3 was expected to finally come back this year, but seemed to be canceled at the last minute. Reports are saying that E3 2024 and 2025 are canceled as well (Though the ESA claims nothing has been officially confirmed yet, they could just be doing damage control).

So is this it? E3 may have had its flaws, but it was still something to look forward to every year, imo. Yeah, we have Geoff Keighly's Summer Game Fest, but that's left a lot to be desired. Having game announcements spread out of weeks/months dilute much of what made E3 exciting in the first place. Also, there's no centralized location for industry people and media to meet up at. One aspect of E3 that's underrated is its ability to get people to network easily. That was one of the things I always looked forward to, and actually led to job opportunities.

I understand why publishers might want to opt out, given that renting floor space and building booths can be ridiculously expensive at the L.A. Convention Center, while they can still generate equivalent amounts of hype just uploading a trailer to youtube and calling it a day. So I don't blame them, but it's also true that publishers were still doing all that all the way up until the pandemic. I doubt that a single person at these large corps didn't bother pointing out that they could be saving potentially millions of dollars every year by simply not going. So there must have still been a reason they still bothered to show up.

Is there any chance it could come back or is just a relic of a bygone era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is just no point in bringing it back. Geoff Keighley Has created a superior product with summer gamefest that is way more accessible to the public, and designed around gamers, instead of business types like E3 was. And all of the reveals and information are spread out over a month, instead of three days. I think overall more people like this format way more, and game developers both large and small agree.

We still get the UBISoft disaster conferences and that is what I believe everyone really cares about.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

E3 wasn't really coming back this year, the ESA had little to no support from publishers and the platform owners. They desperately wanted to keep their role as the middleman for a huge, focused event with their E3 branding but the publishers have realized they don't need the ESA for this - they can market direct to consumers (as Nintendo proved with their Directs). And Keighly's TGA and the other showcases simply offer a more convenient alternative for those that want to advertise their stuff to certain audiences. Sony and Microsoft didn't need E3 to advertise and launch their new consoles, there was still record demand and they kept selling out.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
read my lips : nay

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Yeah, it's probably dead. On the one hand SGF and the separate Directs/Showcases fill the same role now, so the experience of E3 hasn't really changed much for us. On the other hand though, the physical E3 event let media get hands on with game previews and let us know if the actual game behind that flashy trailer we watched was absolute guff, and it's a bit concerning that we're losing that. I'm sure the big game publishers love it though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rest in piss

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You all made fun of Konami's floor show too much and now boring nonstop trailers are all we get. I hope you're happy with yourselves.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vizBWaNdSgQ

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Good riddance to a doxxing dinosaur.

Mind, I still have fond memories of watching the XCOM:EU trailer on Spike. :smith:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

You all made fun of Konami's floor show too much and now boring nonstop trailers are all we get. I hope you're happy with yourselves.

The worst thing is now I'm always having to chase away displaced booth babes from the garbage cans in the alley behind my house.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's possible the concept of a game show could become relevant again, but not with the current state of AAA gaming. They were always mostly trash, but now there's likely only 1-2 titles at most worth showing and being hyped about.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

how am i just realizing joel McHale was at that presentation?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

in a cemetery on a dark and stormy night a ghoulish, rotting hand explodes from the ground. it thrusts it's dirty claws at the moon with crooked fingers. it's e3

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

StratGoatCom posted:

As one of the people who got doxxed, I have to admit that I'm not sorry to see E3 go.

The management of the show had some real indecision about what they wanted the convention to be, particularly once rival cons like PAX started getting big.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

Wanderer posted:

As one of the people who got doxxed, I have to admit that I'm not sorry to see E3 go.

speaking of, how much did the whole data leak contribute to people/companies not wanting to work with the ESA anymore?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
as we've learned from other trends in the game industry, no. we can expect it to come back in 5-10 years as E3 Remastered

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FZeroRacer posted:

as we've learned from other trends in the game industry, no. we can expect it to come back in 5-10 years as E3 Remastered

E3 HD Remaster will be a disaster though, so in a few years more it will be handed to Bloober Team for production under the title E3. I'm...I'm sure it will work out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What a time to be alive