Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

‘Barbie’ Review: Beyond Her Ken posted:

By Kyle Smith

In “Barbie,” Will Ferrell plays the CEO of Mattel, who muses, “Remember Proust Barbie? That did not sell well.” It’s the film’s second reference to the French modernist novelist, and its makers would have been well advised to heed their own joke and question the wisdom of stuffing this fantasy-comedy with references to the mastectomy and IRS troubles of the doll’s creator, gynecology, the mass devastation of indigenous people by smallpox, and (this comes up many times) “irrepressible thoughts of death.”

Amid many multicultural iterations of Barbie, there’s also one who uses a wheelchair and another who is overweight, plus many accomplished career women—scientists, politicians and so on. The central Barbie, played by Margot Robbie in a role that was seemingly waiting for her, is “Stereotypical Barbie”—the sparkly but brainless basic version who exists mainly to look pretty.

Feminist enlightenment follows, but while Barbie is discovering herself, Ken learns that real society is male-dominated and uses the lesson to turn Barbieland into the Kendom—a bro paradise of brewskis and weight lifting. In his ideal state, “Everything exists to expand and elevate the presence of men.” Spot the joke? I don’t. “Barbie” contains more swipes at “the patriarchy” than a year’s worth of Ms. magazine.

Directed by Greta Gerwig, who wrote the script with her romantic partner, Noah Baumbach, “Barbie” is a template for how not to write a crowd-pleasing Hollywood feature. Ms. Gerwig and Mr. Baumbach are accomplished indie filmmakers (she made “Lady Bird,” he “The Squid and the Whale”; both are wonderful) who make poor choices to flesh out these characters. Try to imagine “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” as written by someone who not only hated Mario and Luigi but blamed them for highway fatalities, climate change and gorilla abuse while tossing in some Proust references.

As bubbly as the film appears, its script is like a grumpier-than-average women’s studies seminar. At one point, nearing the climax, “Barbie” stops cold so a Mattel doll designer (America Ferrera) with depressive inclinations can deliver a long monologue on how miserable it is to be female. For instance, she feels pressured to have lots of money but also pressured to not appear to seek it. Hearing characters issue denunciations such as “You fascist!” while Barbie muses that the fate of women is “Either you’re brainwashed or you’re weird and ugly—there is no in-between” is like going to the cotton-candy factory to find it producing lead pipes. Don’t we go to a movie like “Barbie” to escape the harrumphing tone of the most aggrieved Twitter users?

Those who have no particular reason to think women are powerless in American society will be put off by the script’s many broadsides. “Women hate women and men hate women. It’s the one thing we can all agree on,” we are told by an adolescent (Ariana Greenblatt) presented as attuned to the damage Barbie dolls supposedly do to girls’ psyches. Is misogyny actually universally shared, though? Ms. Gerwig and Mr. Baumbach try to sell the audience on a tired “Mad Men” conception of reality where men in suits beckon and timid women simply do whatever they’re told..

Our guide to the supposedly bitter reality underlying the Mattel dolls is “Weird Barbie,” played by Kate McKinnon as a deliberately uglified version with chopped-up hair and punk clothes. Her character’s name could have served as the title of the movie, which is bound to puzzle moviegoers who thought they were buying a ticket to “Fun Barbie.”

WOW, I am so disappointed to hear that they took this movie to such a dark place. The leftist media has brainwashed us all into thinking that The Barbie Movie would be a fun, not like Oscar worthy, but a fun, lighthearted romp about a plastic doll but it turns out it is full of disgusting suggestions that women are, and this is ridiculous, treated unfairly by our society writ large and constantly takes swipes at men, who clearly are universally awesome.

Look at this leftist propaganda, this film is clearly awful and I, for one, am glad that I wasn't tricked into seeing this evil and grossly unfair depiction of men when I am just trying to enjoy a fun movie about a doll marketed at children. I mean, a FAT BARBIE!?!? They have gone too far.

0/5 stars, I'm so glad I didn't accidentally see this dreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I honestly can't wait to see this.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Not goth barbie=no ticket

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I liked the movie

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Smugworth posted:

I liked the movie

That is only because you have been brainwashed by feminists to hate men.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i've already got my outfit picked out for opening night. it's v pink.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Does GI Joe exist in the Barbie Cinematic Universe?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I've got tickets to Oppenheimer on Thursday. On the IMAX big screen too.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bahbie

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Reviewer seems a little touchy about Proust references. It’s a movie, dude. Relax.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

redshirt posted:

I honestly can't wait to see this.

Seriously, between this, MI7, Indiana Jones and Oppenheimer it is a great summer for movies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Proust was a baby bitch

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

major spoilers in that review, DO NOT READ IT

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I will watch and enjoy the Barbie movie anyway and I won't even read the op

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Thanks for the heads up OP, I’ve cancelled my barbie tickets and also put my vintage barbie collection up for sale. This won’t stand.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

It was very long and probably bad

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
more like Bar-bra burning session

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I'll take my money elsewhere (Poopenheimer)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

satanic splash-back posted:

Smugworth posted:

It was very long and probably bad

Sorry I meant the op, the Barbie movie was great

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I never expected the Barbie movie to have a wickerman ending. wow, what a shocker.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Chuds angry? Me watch.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I stand with the South China Sea

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Barbie had Jem assassinated.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
To think the Barbie movie might be feminist...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Gaht dangit Barbie

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Grey Cat posted:

Chuds angry? Me watch.

Yeah, it’s breaking chud brains and I’m all for it.

Not that there’s much brains left to break.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Theres like 5000 episodes of plain old brainless horse, unicorn, mermaid, and princess barbie on Netflix. My nieces watch it every weekend.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I want to see this poo poo but I'm also a grown man so no.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Overdog posted:

Yes, that sounds very mature and "manly" of you, cowboy

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

maybealabia posted:

Yes, that sounds very mature and "manly" of you, cowboy

GO PLAY WITH YOUR DOLLS! :mad:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Watch movies you want to without stigma it's really that simple.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Overdog posted:

As a grown man you can actually go and see whatever the hell you want. Serious.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

"Overdog" is the Scott Adams style posting buddy of "Three Olives" who just bolsters the troll.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just want to know if my GI Joe dolls are recognized.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Poohs Packin posted:

They hate this one simple trick.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

Poohs Packin posted:

I only watch poo poo with titties in it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Overdog posted:

I only watch poo poo with titties in it.

Well the you'll fit right in here at SA, the "internet forum for straights"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

Sorry, that became impossible when Greta Gerwig made a woke Barbie movie with her romantic partner.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Oh cool if you do a barbie related google search the page goes all sparkley and turns pink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Three Olives posted:

romantic partner

sick poo poo