Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

"Wall Street Journal" posted:

Try to imagine “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” as written by someone who not only hated Mario and Luigi but blamed them for highway fatalities, climate change and gorilla abuse while tossing in some Proust references.

This sounds amazing and better than what we got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I think I probably misread/misunderstood, hence my followup post

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

What's an MH and why do you hate toys?

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Imagine seeing some Hollywood tripe in a theater of all places. Think I'll stick with my boutique Blu ray collection in my home cinema.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Monster High is what if we combined anime monster girls and Barbie, but apparently more kid-friendly than either.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Unless that was a sincere suggestion to watch those things if you like Barbie, rather than a sassy note that similar content is already free to watch. In which case I apologize.

You pay $4 to watch Jem (2015) on streaming or you don't watch it. (edit: I could pirate Jem. But the problem is that I respect Jem too much as an artist and performer and want to make sure she's fairly compensated for her work by paying for her work. It's cool, though: As Jerrica, she's also in charge of Staright Records, so she'll get the money, regardless.)

Also, Jem should have been a live-action TV series if they were going for an adaptation.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 21, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I won't be seeing barbie. for my health

1:12:54

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I was expecting the movie to be about the very short lived "B.A.R.B.I.E: Battle-Armed Response Brigade: Intelligence end Espionage" line of toys, where she fought communists and terrorists in the 80s with the big guns and Western free-market capitalism-fueled fashions.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1682468998607171584

Wow, the bad reviews just keep coming.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

haha I didnt actually want to go haha I wasnt taking notes

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Three Olives posted:

Wow, the bad reviews just keep coming.
Looks like a lot of ringing endorsements to me
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1681839484982247425

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There really isn't any controversy surrounding Barbie among people who don't write for the Wall Street Journal

Several people itt have said they will see the movie to “make the chuds mad”. I have a hard time believing chuds have ever cared about Barbie but now that it’s apparently a “cultural issue” people the likes of ben shapiro are doing movie reviews. Somewhere a marketing executive is smiling.

edit: and ted cruz lol

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 21, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1682483190861287424

:stare:

Fobby
Jun 28, 2023

Between the "my [parents] dragged me," the grumpy face, and the small physical size this fella is giving off some serious overtired toddler tantrum energy.

If they do choose to play up the "woke"/"makes chuds mad" marketing angle for Barbie I'm happy that it's at least allegedly a decent movie. It's a bit annoying when they do it for films that many people may legitimately dislike on their own merits.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

sitting there in the theatre intellectually scribbling every wokery offence He Observed

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sophy Wackles posted:

Several people itt have said they will see the movie to “make the chuds mad”. I have a hard time believing chuds have ever cared about Barbie but now that it’s apparently a “cultural issue” people the likes of ben shapiro are doing movie reviews. Somewhere a marketing executive is smiling.

a not insignificant amount of ppl Ive met irl expressed surprise when they found out that both Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling do not, in fact, make normal movies and I cant fathom this kind of person suddenly being exposed to the idea of Greta Gerwig

Im just finding out today that this movie is some lame culture war thing lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love the Barbie movie in theory and will no doubt one day watch it, but going to a movie theater??? No thanks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
"Barbie entered the room before Ken, defying Judeo-Christian beliefs."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
They are also very, very, very angry that the LGBTQ agenda is being pushed on them because one of the Barbies is played by a trans woman. The Barbie isn't trans, Barbies are, of course, sexless plastic dolls, the Barbie is not a Ken doll that has transitioned to Barbie, no, she is just a regular Barbie. But the actress that plays the Barbie is a trans woman in real life.

This is her:

No, simply knowing the actress cast as the Barbie happens to be trans in real life, something they had to research, is part of the woke trans agenda and they are VERY UPSET.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 21, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

redshirt posted:

I love the Barbie movie in theory and will no doubt one day watch it, but going to a movie theater??? No thanks.

gently caress that, Ive been an essential worker the whole time, I am not afraid of a little Covid19

Im gonna see it high on the biggest screen I can pay for

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wizard2 posted:

gently caress that, Ive been an essential worker the whole time, I am not afraid of a little Covid19

Im gonna see it high on the biggest screen I can pay for

The nearest theater to me is a 1.5 hour drive. It's a commitment.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Movie has great reviews AND angers ben shapiro

sounds like a win

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Didn't that twerp also claim the last Star Wars film was good?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

i must compose posted:

Imagine seeing some Hollywood tripe in a theater of all places. Think I'll stick with my boutique Blu ray collection in my home cinema.

Laserdisc or nothing, philistine :colbert:

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Like 10% of the women in LA are wearing pink now. WHERE IS THE KEN STORE? :argh:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i havnt seen barbie or oppenheimer yet

but does anyone want to talk about the movie The Thinning? i lot of reviewers seem to review bomb it because paul logan is in the movie but i dont know who he is besides some stuff that some people dont like. he seems like a perfectly good B movie actor imo. I though the movie was good. I'm really not sure where i even heard about it, but there it was on youtube so i watched all 1 hour and 20 minutes of it. its just another low budget concept scifi, plenty more are better, like The Food Elevator, but this one gets the job done. and just on time like an M Night movie theres the twist.

but please no spoilers because the best news i heard all day after watching this movie for free on youtube is that there is actually a sequel.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Saw a full cinema of people flooding out of Barbie yesterday when I went to Mission Impossible. There was a group of about 15 women in their mid 30s all wearing full pink outfits and gushing about it, seems like a great movie and has ushered in a real return to going to the cinemas for people which is nice.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The men who feel the need to defend privilege hate the ending but I think they missed the point...if I interpret correctly...I think that's where they were going? Groups in power will hold on to it whether fair or not.

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club
Did late night show of Barbie last night. Dressed up with partner for it, had a good time, raucous crowd during funny bits. It was a fun night out.

Doing Oppenheimer in 7mm Imax tonight with another group. Yes I know it's probably some counterprogramming psyop by Mattel and Lockheed Martin or whatever, but it has been fun to have a reason to go to the movies.

I am Kenough.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

does ken have low t because he has no dick and balls or does Ken have no dick and balls because he has low t?

gently caress man this woke poo poo is confusing as hell!!!!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Barbie movie - no
Barbie teaming up with GI Joe... hell yes.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

you'd think that republicans would love klaus

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Internetjack posted:

Barbie movie - no
Barbie teaming up with GI Joe... hell yes.

Pink camo is go. :hai: Chillin in the bust down barbie bunker.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Isn't there already GI Joe Movies? With The Rock?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I peeped it. Gosling is a king .

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

redshirt posted:

Isn't there already GI Joe Movies? With The Rock?

Yup. I forget which one.

Barbie and The Rock team-up would be awesomely fun to see.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"I'm a barbie girl, in a woke rear end world
Ben just posted, not sarcastic"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Grown men getting pissed that the Barbie doll movie isn't about how men are actually oppressed by hot blonde women

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Jem is part of the GI Joe universe in fandom. Pretty sure the Stan Lee cameo for all the Hasbro series was an appearance by a not Geraldo Rivera reporter.

Something I read about Barbie years ago was they didn't really suffer rivals in their space. So, Jem comes out and is huge, so Mattel releases a Barbie and the Rockers to take back the audience. When Disney had a hugely successful Little Mermaid figure, they released a special Mermaid Barbie. Even when Bratz got big they tried a hip urban Barbie line that didn't get anything over on the new rival, so they just sued the Bratz company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
PG-13? I'm gonna have to ask my parents if I can see it first. :(