Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

Do they realize that they are being exploited by the very system they champion to act as free advertising for these things that offend/outrage them?

I don't think they do. They buy things to destroy them in protest. I don't think they are very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Marxist in me is still pretty cynical about packaging a feminist message into a Barbie doll movie but it's not like I was ever a very good Marxist

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The Marxist in me is still pretty cynical about packaging a feminist message into a Barbie doll movie but it's not like I was ever a very good Marxist

its ok npr has you covered:

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/14/1187805008/the-spectacular-femininity-of-bimbos-and-barbie

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

to its credit i dont think it really wants to present a coherent feminist argument or theory, more a sense of cathartic frustration at the idea of being a good feminist and how that itself is a sort of asymmetrical concept that men dont have imposed upon them.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

to its credit i dont think it really wants to present a coherent feminist argument or theory, more a sense of cathartic frustration at the idea of being a good feminist and how that itself is a sort of asymmetrical concept that men dont have imposed upon them.

its almost as if people have been to film school and had something to say about it. Maybe even women.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
ngl really want a fur coat like the one's Gosling's rocking.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

its almost as if people have been to film school and had something to say about it. Maybe even women.

:hmmyes:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The Boobie Movie

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Private Cumshoe posted:

The Boobie Movie

That came out in 1979 and was not as progressive

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm sure it's difficult. You've got fourth wave these days and I think that's just third wave feminism with ska music?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I'm sure it's difficult. You've got fourth wave these days and I think that's just third wave feminism with ska music?

all they wanted was a pepsi, just one pepsi

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I think it's pretty much this generation's Zoolander.

Honestly, the movie it reminded me of a lot was the Last Action Hero. I can see Zoolander too, though mostly in the visual and design elements, 90s Super Mario not so much.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

Honestly, the movie it reminded me of a lot was the Last Action Hero. I can see Zoolander too, though mostly in the visual and design elements, 90s Super Mario not so much.

yeah, no latinos in it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This is more" woke" nonsense from the Woke Brigade with, women and their oppressment of the historically malined White Male. Fellas, when i think about Margo Robby's cruel spiked High heeled shoe stomping ddown upon the stoic, muscular frame of the white man, I get hot under the Collar with rage. Just that shoe on his face and body which, he endures in silent endurement.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I really dig these two references.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

of course the once-arthouse filmmakers making their first big budget blockbuster project that’s also a brand marketing vehicle evangelizing individualist self-actualization are the ones saying “why aren’t bad feminists okay :confused:

there’s no fuckin reflexivity to its analysis. the self-awareness is skin deep.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Vegetable posted:

of course the once-arthouse filmmakers making their first big budget blockbuster project that’s also a brand marketing vehicle evangelizing individualist self-actualization are the ones saying “why aren’t bad feminists okay :confused:

there’s no fuckin reflexivity to its analysis. the self-awareness is skin deep.

i think watching movies through this transformative lens is a profoundly debilitating method of consumption and you absolutely
would be happier reading a book instead

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

zaepg posted:

Film needed more gay fags sucking each other off

They don't have dicks (or vaginas), Zaepg.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

temple posted:

I won't be seeing barbie. for my health

1:12:54

Oh hey! That's that same guy youtube will never stop recommending you if you ever watch a video with swords in it. The one who's got strong views on boob armor and wrote a fantasy book about a heroic rapist.

I guess he didn't like this movie for some reason.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Treecko posted:

Hey Alexa, play 'Barbie girl' by Aqua

gently caress yeah this is my jam

I read this in my head and now that drat song is playing. never shoulda got that drat datajack installed <:mad:>

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I already put it in another thread, but since it's relevant--

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

Treecko posted:

I haven't seen it yet, do they have a part where you pull apart and reattach limbs to the other dolls?

Cuz that's how I played with Barbies.

Not specifically but there's something in it along those lines.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just watched this and it loving owned. Can't emphasize enough just how utterly insane it all is. And the extended Ken musical battle scene will remain with me forever.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

lol

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Barbie is a fantasy film about elevating one gender and suppressing the other. Why would you be entertained by that? Sounds like a nightmare.
-100% sincere review

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Have you seen it? Honk honk.

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008
Gosh dang it, Barbie

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

Have you seen it? Honk honk.

I have not, but the reviews are great. Might go tomorrow night

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Samovar posted:

Do they realize that they are being exploited by the very system they champion to act as free advertising for these things that offend/outrage them?
I want to buy this movie just to have it on display on my shelf in the off-chance a chud might see it and have a stroke (double entendre?)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jelly posted:

I want to buy this movie just to have it on display on my shelf in the off-chance a chud might see it and have a stroke (double entendre?)

your pretty cool Jelly

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You'd think these genius analytic minds that review movies would have like an ounce of self reflection. Actually, no, why would anyone think that lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I been listening to the rewatchables from bill simmons. They always do a Roger Ebert thing, but get real mad when Ebert does a double take. That is the entire point of the series you are doing Bill.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 23 days!)

i might have to go see this poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

roomtone posted:

i might have to go see this poo poo

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Watching the right-wing chuds' incredibly predictable reaction to all this is like an animal-cruelty-free version of those cats-startled-by-cucumbers videos from a few years back.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Watching the right-wing chuds' incredibly predictable reaction to all this is like an animal-cruelty-free version of those cats-startled-by-cucumbers videos from a few years back.

whoever would have guessed that idiots would become enraged because of a movie based on a childrens toy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vIBijzg4w

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Has Ron Desantis suggested legal action against the movie yet?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The whole movie is one long set up for one joke that lands hilariously. Movie was fantastic absolutely hysterical at times. Laughed the whole time and it was great. Real feel good great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nice Tuckpointing! posted: