Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

haljordan posted:

I swear to god I'll probe the next person that posts about hot dogs

Welcome to The Wurst Thread, where we talk about tubed meats

Toxic Mental posted:

Hot Dog Day 2023 on the SA forums

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

What is a tubed meat? I don't really know! i think it's any meat thrown into a blender and pushed into a 'casing'
What is a casing? I'm not sure I want to find out!
but first, let's talk about the taste! I'm sure most of us have had some bad dogs. I once got some for a campfire that weren't precooked! The outcome wasn't good!
But that's when I was young and dumb. I've since come around to much better products, specifically bratwurst. I'm not sure if it's just a midwest thing, but we have some nice variety out here. Off the top of my head, recently i've had chili cheese flavor, blueberry and wild rice, chicken bacon ranch, and a root beer baked bean & bacon flavor. If you don't have specialty stuff in your area or just haven't checked out your local butcher, you probably know about the beer brats on your shelves, and there's a few different kinds (if its open ended you have to soak it), but the midwest brats are good to grill with no prep! There is so much variety out there and it extends beyond the world of brats!!

Let's talk about all tubed meats. Next step down for me would be 'classic wieners'. They have a thicker skin and are skinnier than a normal hot dog but taste much better! Who here loves beef sticks?! I'll take mine mixed with some spicy cheese please. tubed or slim jim style, all talk is welcome here!

Now for the big one.... CONDIMENTS.
Ketchup is for dogs, Mustard is for brats. Both is for burgin'. Got it? good.

Grey Cat posted:

I want to experiment is all, call me condiment curious.
E: wait that message wasn't there before I sent!

Jelly posted:

"Better"? I'm a fan of fancy mustard as much as the next guy but when it comes to hot dogs I'm all about French's yellow.

It's not weird, tons of people do it. What it is, is uncivilized.

The mustard that comes shaped like a barrel in indeed superior, somehow,
however this

Hazo posted:

I think hot dogs are good and you should put on them whatever makes you happy and tastes good :)

is totally allowed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratwurst
Here's a link to the wiki. upon a quick skim they're old and german, and there are different kinds or some poo poo. I don't really care about the science, i want to hear from you, the people.

Why is this thread here? because im bored and the trump thread just made me lol with a string of hilarious probes and I somehow squeeked by without one, even though I made an obvious reference to ketchup and bratwurst!
To talk about tubed meats! Their arrangement, and condiment combinations!

given what has already happened tonight, I think we need to lay down some rules:
What is allowed?

-Any talk of tubed meat, it's derivatives, how it's made, if it's good or bad for you, what to put on it, where to get it, how to get it.
-You are allowed to talk about the manufacture and sale of bread as much as you want.
-You are allowed to talk about cannabis, and the rolling of.
-trump talk is strangely allowed (even though all trump users are on probation)
-references to macho man or wrestling shoes
-grapes. i'm gonna allow it.

kazil posted:

got any grapes?

What talk is not allowed?

-Any bun speech regarding whether a taco is a hot dog/vice versa. Posting the image might result in further action, idk, i didn't consult anyone i'm just posting, so mod discretion I guess. This is about tubed meats, not human constructs about buns or their placement/arrangement.
-Any talk of tubed meat purveyors that have previously been crowdfunded by this site.
-No talk regarding canines, or speculation regarding what the smile is
-Anyone who just posts "HAMBURGER" apparently

Devils Affricate posted:

hamburger

acronyms are definitely allowed here though

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Holy cow, can you believe that
On January 6 2021
The ex-president,
Donald Trump,
Openly committed treason but the
GOP still fellates his
Scrotum

So lets hear it goons, tell us about your local butcher! is bratwurst too exclusive? Can a pickle be a bun? Sour cream? Can you stuff a cheesesteak into a tube? When's the last time you glizzy?

Oscar Wild posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Cat, may, ame che
Optional: bac, jap

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I want a liver wurst sandwich

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I want a liver wurst sandwich

Liver is the worst!
Just kidding it's gizzards

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

careful op, processed meats which includes most tubed meats are a class 1 carcinogens, the highest classification, and share the category with alcohol, tobacco, vinyl chloride, and plutonium

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prevention/understanding-cancer-risk/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Smugworth posted:

Liver is the worst!
Just kidding it's gizzards

Gotta get that gizzy glizzy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bad Purchase posted:

careful op, processed meats which includes most tubed meats are a class 1 carcinogens, the highest classification, and share the category with alcohol, tobacco, vinyl chloride, and plutonium

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prevention/understanding-cancer-risk/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html

I'm gonna eat a liverwurst sandwich

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm gonna eat some coal-tar pitch

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Bad Purchase posted:

so if i'm only on 4 out of 5 do they cancel eachother out? While eating wurst I like to smoke and drink while melting all the old PVC pipes i inherited in the campfire

(this is good infomation thank you)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm gonna eat a liverwurst sandwich

Why are you lashing out like this
How about some mesquite smoked turkey

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Hamburger

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

Why are you lashing out like this

I'm hungry as hell, about to hard boil some eggs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is this the place for Sauerkraut talk too or should I start a new thread?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HAMBURGER;!!!!;; 🍔

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

redshirt posted:

Love sauerkraut. I want a Reuben sandwich

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DER BURGER

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

all out of Reubens, but we have plenty of Teubens left

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Love sauerkraut. I want a Reuben sandwich

I've been making all these incredible sauerkraut things.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Have you tried Jongga (the one with two "g"s) kimchi? It's far superior

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Have you tried Jongga (the one with two "g"s) kimchi? It's far superior

I have not but I am down for anything like this, so I will.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
me and the boys like to make some real experimental sausages from time to time, we call it a sausage party and everybody always has a good time

this weekend we did a french onion soup sausage and a buffalo wing sausage. the french onion soup was a runaway success, we did a bunch of beef and caramelized onions and gruyere and stuffed it all into a casing. the buffalo wing sausage was excellent in concept but something broke and it came out all grainy, plus I had to settle for blue cheese on the side because I married a ranch person.

other successful sausages we have made include most of em from the ruhlman book and also a cuban sandwich sausage we did one time where we threw a bunch of pork and ham and pickles and mustard and cheese into a casing

Mayor Poopenmeyer
Aug 17, 2006
Garbage ball, ah? That sound serious.
I really like sausages but bloody hell there are a lot of rules in that first post.

We bought a beef cattle from a farmer and had the local butcher cut it up and process it into steaks and sausages and sausage meat and what not. It was pretty tasty. We split it between a few friends because one cattle can easily fill the chest freezer all by itself.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
ketchup is for pasta not hot dogs

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stalizard posted:

me and the boys like to make some real experimental sausages from time to time, we call it a sausage party and everybody always has a good time

this weekend we did a french onion soup sausage and a buffalo wing sausage. the french onion soup was a runaway success, we did a bunch of beef and caramelized onions and gruyere and stuffed it all into a casing. the buffalo wing sausage was excellent in concept but something broke and it came out all grainy, plus I had to settle for blue cheese on the side because I married a ranch person.

other successful sausages we have made include most of em from the ruhlman book and also a cuban sandwich sausage we did one time where we threw a bunch of pork and ham and pickles and mustard and cheese into a casing

Do you think it would be possible to make a kratom + kimchi sausage

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

von Braun posted:

ketchup is for pasta not hot dogs

Love ketchup on a hot dog

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im an engineer and the company i work for designs and builds primarily sausage making automated machinery. following this thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sweet relish and mustard with the celery salt and banana peppers n some onions que Bella

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im an engineer and the company i work for designs and builds primarily sausage making automated machinery. following this thread

guess it's true that to be a mod you have to be willing to see how the sausage is made

ExtraQuiet
Apr 25, 2016

by Shine

Stalizard posted:

this weekend we did a french onion soup sausage and a buffalo wing sausage.

This sounds amazing and delicious.

Can you elaborate on your casing operation? homebrew equipment, passed down, commercial or what? i've always had the impression it's a difficult and fast moving operation. Whenever our butcher loses a person the casing seems to suffer the most

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Stalizard posted:

i also like sausage partys. we should hang out sometime

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I love a good beer brat sauted in apples and sour kraut.

Then I slather it in mustard.

Buns are optional.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm hungry

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
there's nothing to it really, we use an old timey hand crank grinder and it's all pretty straightforward. you run like a 4 foot casing onto a 4 inch tube, make a bunch of jokes, push a lil meat out so you don't get any air bubbles, make a lot more jokes and then go by feel. get real fuckin homoerotic with it, that's my only real advice. one person cranks as hard as that can and one person guides the meat with their hands. it's impossible to get tired of the jokes.

if you have a KitchenAid get the metal one, not the plastic one, and you can do it almost by yourself. the plastic one isn't like a build quality issue, it's something with the stuffer and it grinds just fine but is absolute dog poo poo at stuffing

e: I get casings at academy or cabela's these days, used to buy them from the meat case at whole foods until they went from charging me the same price per pound as sausage to wanting like ten bucks for just a few feet. your experience may vary but dried is fine if you soak it

Stalizard fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 20, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Treecko posted:

I love a good beer brat sauted in apples and sour kraut.

Then I slather it in mustard.

Buns are optional.

I've been making a sauer kraut salsa and adding it to a salad. I love it. I keep changing it up.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys just wanted to share my store-bought bratwurst lifehack:

• Buy a bunch of brats when they go on sale.
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put all the brats in the freezer until they become separate meat popsicles
  • throw all the brats into a gallon ziploc bag, since you froze them separated now they will not stick/freeze together
  • when you want a quick bratdog, take one and throw it from the freezer into the air fryer
  • 250F for 10 mins
  • Flip
  • 400 for 10 more minutes
  • Throw it on a bun and top with cheese and put it back into the air fryer while its turned off and let the residual heat lightly toast the bun and melt the cheese
  • make sure to like my comment and subscribe for more bratwurst lifehacks and meat strats

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
So this is how I do it.

Step one, find a bratwurst. Either prepackaged Jhonsonviles or the ones at the grocery counter. They come in on a big freezer pallet so no need to do the freezing yourself, they're probably still half frozen when you buy them.

Buy a Guiness or 2 while you're there.

Poke a couple of holes in the brats and get a pot ready. While you bring the beer up to a boil, dice or slice your apple. Maybe some onion too.

Remove the brat, and sear it off really well in a skillet with some sort of oil. Add the veggies you cut in with them and let them get golden.

Add some of the warm beer back, add the kraut and any other seasonings you might want, and let it simmer.

Serve with your mustard of choice.

It sounds weird but it's delicious and I might make it for dinner tomorrow.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Hey guys just wanted to share my store-bought bratwurst lifehack:

• Buy a bunch of brats when they go on sale.
  • Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put all the brats in the freezer until they become separate meat popsicles
  • throw all the brats into a gallon ziploc bag, since you froze them separated now they will not stick/freeze together
  • when you want a quick bratdog, take one and throw it from the freezer into the air fryer
  • 250F for 10 mins
  • Flip
  • 400 for 10 more minutes
  • Throw it on a bun and top with cheese and put it back into the air fryer while its turned off and let the residual heat lightly toast the bun and melt the cheese
  • make sure to like my comment and subscribe for more bratwurst lifehacks and meat strats

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
this time of year Johnsonville does those firecracker sausages and in addition to being tasty they open a lot of doors for jokes about your own personal wiener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Bad Purchase posted:

Willard Mitt 'throating glizzies' Romney posted:

The hot dog company is not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep eating that garbage