Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Alternate title: Palia: You Can gently caress the Robot

Palia is a free-to-play MMO heavily inspired by life sim games like Stardew Valley and My Time at Portia. Instead of raiding dungeons and fighting monsters, you’ll be growing crops, building your house, and making friends with NPCs. “Cozy” is used several dozen times in every official news post.

After being announced back in 2021 and several closed Alphas, Palia will finally be launching into a Closed Beta on August 2nd, followed by an Open Beta on August 10th. There will be no progress wipes between Closed, Open, and official launch, meaning the game is essentially soft-launching on August 2nd.

Palia will be free-to-play and has such will be supported through cosmetic microtransactions. The devs outlined their business model here.

Stream VOD that’s the first proper look at the gameplay.

Beta Trailer

Also it’ll be coming to the Switch sometime in the holiday season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Also revealing my actual reason for creating this thread: posting my referral link.

Maxed out, thank you!

Any one use who uses a referral link gets a little fruit bowl item and referrers will receive a item per account that uses their link up to five new accounts. So I encourage everyone to share.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 2, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I can't say much because of the NDA except that the fanbase for this is the horniest I have ever seen in an MMO and that includes FFXIV.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Looks pretty neat!

Is there any combat or similar mechanics at all, or is it all building/crafting?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Noise Complaint posted:

I can't say much because of the NDA except that the fanbase for this is the horniest I have ever seen in an MMO and that includes FFXIV.

Ditto.

For the record - yes you can romance villagers in this game, and everyone is bisexual.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Noise Complaint posted:

drat thats impressive

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Comrade Koba posted:

Looks pretty neat!

Is there any combat or similar mechanics at all, or is it all building/crafting?

There is a Hunting skill that sounds like it's used to get materials from animals, but I haven't seen anything about fighting orcs and such. But I also never got into any of the alphas and the NDA is in place until the 2nd, so we'll have to wait till then to find out if there's actually a secret plot about stopping the Hellstorm or whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This probably isn't something people can answer yet but in the off chance it's been mentioned in promo material or something, what's the emphasis between solo and group stuff? Like can you have a big guild house that everyone decorates, or have group projects/crafts/expeditions/whatever? Or is it more like, everyone is playing solo but in the same space? The trailer sorta implied the latter which isn't really what I'm playing online games for though I know a lot of people basically exclusively want that sort of experience.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
my hands-on testing has been pretty limited and it's between phases right now so i can't check, but i get the impression that it's the latter. everybody gets their own personal plot of land to build on, and communities (guilds) i think are just kind of chat channels. you can group up for tasks but im not sure if theres really any incentive in doing so, or any kind of shared goals beyond what you set for yourselves.

no monster fighting that i saw, hunting is the closest you get. you just shoot an animal with your bow a few times while it tries to run away, it goes poof, then you collect its materials.

game's pretty charming, the characters are cute and they're absolutely chasing after the ~~cozy~~ trend, but it's also just pretty well put together so far. don't think i'd call it an MMO though, i'm pretty sure that the largest shard size is 25 players. but i guess the definition of 'MMO' has gotten stretched all kinds of weird ways now anyway.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Wish I'd thought of making this thread first! I'm an Alpha tester but I lost my computer almost a year ago and haven't been able to participate since August or thereabouts. I will say that I thought highly enough of the game to :10bux: even that early into the whole process.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Been tentatively interested in this, but had problems installing the game so I missed the first big stress test. Gonna at least give it another try when the next one comes out, just to see if it's as ~cozy~ as advertised.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Is this actually an MMO? Over the years they backed away heavily from ever using the term, and the more I see the more it seems like just individual multiplayer servers for like, 10-20 folks. I haven’t seen any sort of persistent public world but I also don’t think there’s much info out there in the first place. Do we know?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Pryce posted:

Is this actually an MMO? Over the years they backed away heavily from ever using the term, and the more I see the more it seems like just individual multiplayer servers for like, 10-20 folks. I haven’t seen any sort of persistent public world but I also don’t think there’s much info out there in the first place. Do we know?

i dont know where this comes from this is not the case, i keep seeing this posted on reddit too, i think theres sharding and instancing but its most certainly not a join someone's dedicated server type thing

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Noise Complaint posted:

i dont know where this comes from this is not the case, i keep seeing this posted on reddit too, i think theres sharding and instancing but its most certainly not a join someone's dedicated server type thing

I mean for me, their complete scrub of their site a few years ago to specifically remove the term “MMO” was quite odd.

But then everything they show constantly says “play with your friends” and never ever shows anything that might be you in a world with randoms.

I’m hoping I’m just flat out wrong here, to be clear!

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
its an MMO in the way Guild Wars or Neverwinter is an MMO. yes you can end up in a shard with random players, but they all have low player caps. 25 is the highest number of players that can be in one instanced zone at a time.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I guess the question is if it's more of an MMO than Animal Crossing, or is it literally just Animal Crossing with with scummier monetization?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Hra Mormo posted:

I guess the question is if it's more of an MMO than Animal Crossing, or is it literally just Animal Crossing with with scummier monetization?

Closer to Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. I don't think the monetization is scummy? Just some cosmetics. Not all cosmetics.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Stress test today, from 2 PM - 6 PM PST. Gaze in amazement as the server once again crumples like a wet paper bag under half a million players.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 25, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm watching my friend attempt to create a character and failing. Stress test proceeding as planned.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Looks like invites for the closed beta will start sending out today and the NDA is lifted from closed beta onwards.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Well, NDAs are lifted from Beta. They're still requesting we don't talk about features specifically from alpha. Which kinda makes sense but even they admit they cannot really stop anyone.

I will say the outfit pricing still feels really high.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont think I got into the closed beta :(

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I said come in! posted:

I didn't get an explicit email, but I was able to log in after updating my installer, having already played the stress test. Have you tried that, or did the game just say "you're not in the beta at this time?"

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Initial codes are being sent out largely to streamers & content creators, they're sending out another batch later today and additional ones daily until it opens to everyone.

If you have access you'll have the download link here: https://accounts.palia.com/account/download

gay devil fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 2, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

gay devil posted:

Initial codes are being sent out largely to streamers & content creators, they're sending out another batch later today and additional ones daily until it opens to everyone.

If you have access you'll have the download link here: https://accounts.palia.com/account/download

Nothing, even after I exploited this forum to max out my referrals. :mad:

Looks like there's about 5k viewers on Twitch right now. They also released a cinematic trailer.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 2, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I managed to make it in (somehow), and was having a blast, although in the last couple of minutes the servers turned into a buggy mess and crashed. Still a better MMO day one than most I've had.

Well, unless my plot progress has been reset entirely, I should still have the first room of my house built by tomorrow, though!

Here's my favorite spot so far, in the middle of some random roomy cave in Bahari Bay (the zone just adjacent to that of the starting village). It's so flourescent!

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
They're hot fixing a save issue right now with plots not working correctly. Basically if you do anything in your plot the game won't save what you while in the plot. It's also having issues with saving between the two overworld zones.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i got into the beta for this, so i guess i will see what it is about lol

edit: very boring... welp. no thanks!

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm enjoying my time so far. It's funny that there's a whole tab for eye makeup but no facial hair in the character creator.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dang not even lovely painted-on stuff? weird

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I wanted to love this game but man. It's rough right now. Some scattershot thoughts below after like six hours of playing.

It has some really good polish in some areas (graphically it's all competent if a bit generic, a lot of things seem to just work), but atrocious in many others (player models turn unnaturally, animations are stilted in general, there's micro pauses all over for gathering and looting, some animations end just a bit early, animals run at crazy speeds but bugs barely move, you can't climb on houses, stone walls or trees, mirrors are horribly hosed, no swimming...)

The social aspects are also very...lacking? There's barely anything you can do co-op (mine/cut faster and that's about it), no trading (beyond a very simple mat gifting system), not a ton of customization options, few emotes, no musical instruments, no eating emotes, no sitting in chairs, no sleeping in beds, no pets...

Housing seems to be the major goal/gameplay loop right now but there's. No neighborhoods. No easy way to show off your houses. Only some really basic building controls (you can rotate things left to right or move them and that's it, no size or z axis controls or dying or anything fancy) with Less Than Ideal placement rules. And crafting furniture is all in one big list with no easy way to sort or search. Placing furniture is barely any better, but at least it has a search function, albeit a basic 'search for name' one.

The NPCs are atrocious. Boring. Horribly boring. Animal Crossing New Horizons villagers are incredibly indepth compared to them. And all the quests you get with them are either 3 lines of dialog per ingame day, or quests which thus far are very short and provide no insights, just a small amount of extra banal dialogue.

Some systems are just completely pointless right now. For example: cooking is a series of items which all have no animations when eaten, can't be placed, and the only distinguishing factor to them is how many points of extra XP they give you.

The game's kind of disrespectful of your time in a farmville type way. Things are on timers, but on levels of timers - like for example, farming requires checking in once per ingame day (once per two with certain fertilizer) and watering every plant, which can take four or more ingame days, and with each ingame day taking a hour that's multiple times throughout the course of several hours you need to boot up the game JUST to water plants, which itself is a process that takes at least a few seconds to minutes depending on how many plants you've got (and your watering can quality). Then you need to wait on a timer for the game to do something with that plant - want to turn cotton into fabric? That's eight minutes per silk! Only then can you finally make furniture with it. And then there's timers on making your house after the timers of crafting all the poo poo, you can't talk to NPCs if they're asleep so you have to wait for that if you go to town at the wrong time, and since it's a mmo you can't just speed up time...

Most damning of all there's like, a few days worth of content in the game right now tops. My only guess for it is they have an aggressively large amount of content ready to be patched in, because right now there's only 6 kinds of bug, 6 kinds of fish (yes there are technically more than that but so many of them are recolors), 6 kinds of animal, 9 types of crops, and then only about ten series of furniture? It's like, week 1 indie game early access levels of content right now. And like, yeah this isn't the sort of game that needs dozens upon dozens of hours at launch for people to hypersink time into but it's a pretty lacking amount of stuff to do even with that in mind.

Also the monetization just. Sucks. Sucks so hard. 30$ for three colors of one outfit, 50$ for all nine colors, you have to buy items for points packages which of course are just quite not enough for a outfit or leave you with leftover currency, and of course each currency bundle gives a larger bonus and its a large part of why I'm aggressively judging this game so hard in this post because drat. Sure is funny though that if you go to the outfiter ingame it just opens up the cash shop.

anyway in conclusion this game banks way too hard on its 'cozy vibes' aspect and it's going to be the love child of dumb reviewers who've never touched story of seasons or a game with proper housing in their lives for a week.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Aug 4, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that seems pretty dire, geeze

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I remain fundamentally unconvinced that this game stands to gain anything from being an MMO instead of just a farm game with an over-the-shoulder perspective.

M2tt
Dec 23, 2000
Forum Veteran
I agree with everything Meeko said, but there are a lot of things they could have done to make the mmo aspect interesting. Cooking competitions, foraging events, even an auction house would add some incentive to do poo poo...they just didn't add any of it. Given they don't even seem to have a test environment based on backtracking their fixes mid-maintenance though, I don't have a ton of faith that they'll capitalize on any of those opportunities and just try to coast on vibes instead.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

yeah after playing a bit more this just feels like an early access farming sim but they slapped on barebones multiplayer functionality to sell turbo expensive outfits.

probably worth a download for the low price of free if that's your jam, and I think it has potential overall, but it's pretty rough right now so it might be worth just checking back in on this in a few months and see where they go with it.

i think i have at least some faith in them? like they spam the word cozy a bunch but this game overall feels like it's made by people who wanted to actually make a game. it's just. Really Not Ready Yet.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah these are all valid complaints.

As of right now there's approximately a month worth of story content via quests and townsfolk interactions. This was assuming a few hours a day at most game play.

Furniture customization for colors is planned, thank goodness. I know there's a limited amount with the modification tool which you need 4 levels in Furniture Crafting to get.

No one is happy about the cosmetic pricing. Early in alpha we were told they weren't going to be expensive, the price point was suppose to be within "impulse buy" range. Kinda feel fibbed to on that one.
There's two more regions they haven't released that's currently in development per thier development team on Twitter and more characters. There are somewhat involved quests that have dialog selections that give a lot more information about relationships and the history of the town. But those start at 4 or higher relationship levels.

Animation team is currently working on fixing a bunch of the issues you listed.

Honestly this is a game they want to succeed and make. It's rough but has a lot of heart behind it. I think the biggest issue is they are soft launching as a "Beta" but folks are seeing it as a launch. Closed Beta so far has had 4 server maintences in less than 3 days. Good sign, but sucks for players.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm really liking it, but I acknowledge that all of the complaints are valid and it's mostly brainworms on my part.

Have some more photos, the house one is a bit outdated because I've filled it up with more junk/cooking stations, but I still need to get started on a second room. Today's gonna be a pretty big grinding for money day to afford both one of those and the second tier of backpack upgrades (each of which being in the thousands of coins).

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Just started today! Really excited to finally get to play this, I got into a few Alpha sessions but got about five minutes total playtime due to server issues + being on an off timezone.

Maxed out! Thank you friends <3 If anyone has yet to create an account I'd love it if you could use my referrer code, I need one more to get that cute glider! https://accounts.palia.com/sign-up?referral=xxxxx

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 6, 2023

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I remain fundamentally unconvinced that this game stands to gain anything from being an MMO instead of just a farm game with an over-the-shoulder perspective.

yeah my impression so far is that they didn't go anywhere near far enough pushing the multiplayer aspect. if you actually felt like part of a community of players instead of feeling like you're playing harvest moon on your own but occasionally seeing someone else it would be a lot more appealing.

like even off the top of my head I can imagine "events", make things happen around the world and NPCs run around calling out for help for something like clearing a collapsed tunnel or removing a fallen tree where players can all pitch in and earn resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

yeah my impression so far is that they didn't go anywhere near far enough pushing the multiplayer aspect. if you actually felt like part of a community of players instead of feeling like you're playing harvest moon on your own but occasionally seeing someone else it would be a lot more appealing.

like even off the top of my head I can imagine "events", make things happen around the world and NPCs run around calling out for help for something like clearing a collapsed tunnel or removing a fallen tree where players can all pitch in and earn resources.

To make scale multiplayer feel meaningful in a game like this you probably would have to have world events that give immediate rewards based on collective + individual performance in the event, those events giving reputations rewards for various towns or factions which give longer term rewards, and bigger events that all the little events progress too. All this unlocks various cosmetics, new crops, furniture items and recipes, etc.

Basically farm rpg but 3d with more multiplayer events.

Seriously though someone should make a mmo like this that is just 3d farm rpg with exploration and other activities actually done by the player. Would be a hit.