Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Saltpowered posted:

To make scale multiplayer feel meaningful in a game like this you probably would have to have world events that give immediate rewards based on collective + individual performance in the event, those events giving reputations rewards for various towns or factions which give longer term rewards, and bigger events that all the little events progress too. All this unlocks various cosmetics, new crops, furniture items and recipes, etc.

Basically farm rpg but 3d with more multiplayer events.

Seriously though someone should make a mmo like this that is just 3d farm rpg with exploration and other activities actually done by the player. Would be a hit.

and fishing, hunting, and bug catching are all extremely good premises for contests!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

yeah my impression so far is that they didn't go anywhere near far enough pushing the multiplayer aspect. if you actually felt like part of a community of players instead of feeling like you're playing harvest moon on your own but occasionally seeing someone else it would be a lot more appealing.

Yeah... I was really hype for this game initially, because it was pitched as a housing focused chill MMO. Then I got to be incredibly disappointed when they announced the housing was instanced. It's still neat and I'm glad it exists, but I really just want a modern MMO that does housing UO style with all of the housing out in the same game world everyone sees and participates in.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

super nailgun posted:

Yeah... I was really hype for this game initially, because it was pitched as a housing focused chill MMO. Then I got to be incredibly disappointed when they announced the housing was instanced. It's still neat and I'm glad it exists, but I really just want a modern MMO that does housing UO style with all of the housing out in the same game world everyone sees and participates in.

Yeah I agree, the closest really is FFXIV and that's not the same, but I do have cool neighbors in that

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i've been playing this since early early alpha and telling people i know to temper their hype for it, yeah.

like, it's functional, but it doesn't do anything new or interesting in the life sim genre, and the MMO aspect really doesn't add much at all.

also i have a lot of misgivings about the cash shop/their approach to monetization in general

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 5, 2023

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I feel like the pseudo-clans in the game "communities" are just begging for some kind of neighborhood system to be added with competitions

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

someone awful. posted:

also i have a lot of misgivings about the cash shop/their approach to monetization in general

I'd rather just pay a sub but I don't really mind cash shop cosmetics. Half the subscription based games also do that anyway. That said in a game that's focused on social and housing stuff as the major draw, cash shop cosmetics are a little more insidious than they are in games where the pretty dress up aspect is more of an aside.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I don't mind cash shop cosmetics at all but they do the thing where you can't buy the exact amount of the premium currency so an item will be like $25 and then you need to buy $35 of currency to cover the purchase. Having the tailor shop seemingly exist just as a portal to the premium shop with no unlockable free cosmetics seems bad. Also they're all so goddamn expensive!!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ok in most games i don't mind cosmetic only cash shops all that much no. but this is, specifically, a social """MMO""" about expressing yourself through your design choices and stuff, and if your only options to customize your character's look are the boring-rear end standard clothes for free, or like... the nice clothes with accessories like backpacks and wings or whatever, real fashion that has personality and expression to it, that adds a degree of pressure that i feel doesn't exist in a lot of games where self-expression isn't the primary goal of the thing. it rubs me the wrong way

gay devil posted:

I don't mind cash shop cosmetics at all but they do the thing where you can't buy the exact amount of the premium currency so an item will be like $25 and then you need to buy $35 of currency to cover the purchase. Having the tailor shop seemingly exist just as a portal to the premium shop with no unlockable free cosmetics seems bad. Also they're all so goddamn expensive!!

also this part super sucks yeah.

i tossed a tenner at them in early alpha because hey, i was having fun, i wanted a cute outfit they'd added, i wanted the game to succeed. and then in a later alpha version they adjusted the prices, so the $10 in shop currency i had couldn't afford the outfit i'd liked anymore. it just sits there in my account, being pointless

e: here's my referral code to throw on the pile https://accounts.palia.com/sign-up?referral=6eead8bb-b20f-44fd-a07b-aa9ca01109cc

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 5, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on this game but as it stands I'm skeptical. They need a lot of polish and need to think hard about their intended direction for the game and approach to the multiplayer community aspect.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

Used this and here's mine...

https://accounts.palia.com/sign-up?referral=ceeee013-771a-4790-a001-236950f364b5

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
And me! https://accounts.palia.com/sign-up?referral=001f47b6-3a93-4c41-9f36-bbeab3c32310

I'm not entirely hooked yet. Something chill to do and explore in would be nice right now, however 25 players per instance doesn't sound very MMOish.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Just found this thread and I appreciate the first hand accounts you all have provided. I was excited about Palia ever since it was announced. Not sure why per se as it didn't really look to do much new, but I dunno I guess just felt like the vibe appeared right. The longer they went with both not really showing much as well as making it so basically everything was under an NDA didn't seem promising. Hearing the general disappointment in the game is both unsurprising but also disappointing. I still intend to try the game out when it comes to Switch, but it sounds like the game is needing a pretty significant content update at the very least.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honestly, I'm surprised at how negative folks are about this. It's a fantastic game for the price.

It's also the first free to play game that doesn't have lovely monetization that makes the game feel bad to play for free.

It's a shame it's got some jank, and maybe some balance issues with some late game systems, but it's really amazing that it exists at all.

I've been playing it nonstop for the past couple days and can't get enough.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Are resource nodes per player or am I being a jerk if I take all the ore nodes I see? I would hope they're per player since they're pushing cooperative vs competitive.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
They mostly aren't. The only ones that each player gets their own of is the ground forage, like flowers and garlic. Don't feel bad about taking ore nodes though, the seem to respawn fast enough, and the servers are splintered enough you aren't really "taking" them from others. If someone's in the same area with their pickaxe out though, you can mine together. As long as each player taps it once, it'll drop the lootable bit for everyone. Alternatively, if the area looks busy and you aren't finding nodes, you can just log out and back in and it'll drop you into a different server.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009

Eiba posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised at how negative folks are about this. It's a fantastic game for the price.

It's also the first free to play game that doesn't have lovely monetization that makes the game feel bad to play for free.

It's a shame it's got some jank, and maybe some balance issues with some late game systems, but it's really amazing that it exists at all.

I agree completely and also been playing. A pretty solid beta as well. Game is good for what it sets out to be. Nothing spectacular or new, but they've put work into the villagers and it's neat how conversations are dependent on your actions, where the NPCs are at the time and even what time of day it is. Best I'm hoping for is they expand on the darker themes going on in the background for later events in the story.

Just caught my first Giant Goldfish :unsmith:

Also in-game name is "Gets" if anyone needs help with anything.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Why do I keep letting Goons drag me into MMOs? At least this isn't another KMMO. https://accounts.palia.com/sign-up?referral=a15865c6-a0d3-461d-833d-073b4b83bf98

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MajorBonnet posted:

Are resource nodes per player or am I being a jerk if I take all the ore nodes I see? I would hope they're per player since they're pushing cooperative vs competitive.
While I think the game is lovely, this is the biggest issue I've run into so far. It's not per player. If you mine something, it's gone for everyone until it respawns.

This is unfortunate for two very non-cozy reasons. Maybe you're going somewhere to stock up on a resource and there's just nothing there because someone took it five minutes ago, which sucks. And on the other hand, when there are plentiful resources it feels bad to mine them all because you know someone else might come along and encounter the first scenario eventually. But that's just what you gotta do.

They should really tweak something about how that works.

The game does support coop though- if you gather a thing people have a few minutes to go over and gather it too before it disappears for everyone. If you're mining or cutting trees you both get the resources if you hit it once- even with strangers, so you can help random people mine and you all profit. If you even vaguely shot an arrow at a critter or threw a ball at a bug, you get the loot, even if someone else takes it out.

If you're coordinated the finite resources/resource sharing works fine and is satisfying. But that's just not how things work most of the time.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
You also kind of need to get used to cooperating for other reasons.

Post-level 10 you get weekly missions where at least one of them can require you to cooperate with other players on the non-solo skills (which as far as I understand can include everything except Gardening and Furniture Making, though Foraging didn't have a co-op mission this week). So at some point, for at least part of your weekly grind, you need to learn to play nice with others in order to ensure maximum medals.

Also, here's my kitchen rework in advance of hopefully making some high end food later tonight.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
Gifts this week:

Ashura - Silver Salmon; Stickleback; Fish Stew
Auni - Waterlogged Boot; Garden Snail; Hairy Millipede
Badruu - Tomato; Ramen
Caleri - Shell; Silk; Bahari Glowbug
Chayne - Carrot Seeds (Says Pearl, but maybe bugged)
Dalila - Channel Catfish; QualityUp; Scarlet Koi
Einar - Silver Salmon; Yellow Perch
Elouisa - Calico Koi; Cerulean Cicada; Beluga Sturgeon
Eshe - Chapaa Fur; Silk
Hassian - Leather; Brightshroom; Iron Bar
Hekla - Ship Fragments; Grilled Mushroom; Painted Perch; Trout Dinner
Hodari - Stone Brick; Sernuk Noodle Stew
Jel - Eyeless Minnow; Striped Chapaa Tail; Pearl
Jina - Wagon Wheel; Cotton; Radiant Sunfish
Kenli - Chapaa Meat; Garden Ladybug; Azure Chapaa Tail
Kenyatta - Crystal Lake Lotus; Inky Dragonfly; Alligator Gar
Nai'o - Wagon Wheel; HydratePro; Blueberry Jam
Najuma - Copper Ore; Copper Bar; Honey Loach
Reth - Sernuk; Creamy Carrot Soup; Raspberry Beetle
Sifuu - Grilled Meat; Iron Ore; Silver Ore
Tamala - Emerald Carpet Moss; Brightshroom; Radiant Sunfish
Tish - Sundrop Lily; Heartwood Plank; Pearl
Zeki - Grilled Fish; Golden Salmon; Fried Catfish Dinner

Edit: Use https://www.palianpc.com to keep track of them

Gets fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 15, 2023

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Very helpful list, thank you! I sent you a friend invite out of the blue earlier, but for anyone else playing, I am Princess Carolyn in-game.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Alright, so I don't think the weekly missions changed, so here's the Post-Level 10 Weekly Missions for the Foreseeable Future:

Bug Catching

- Catch 30 Bugs
- Catch 10 Uncommon Bugs
- Catch 10 Bugs Together

Cooking

- Cook 10 Meals
- Cook 3 Star Quality Meals
- Cook 3 Meals Together

Fishing

- Catch 30 Fish
- Catch 10 Star Quality Fish
- Catch 10 Fish Together

Foraging

- Collect 30 Forage (as in, non-tree related)
- Chop 10 Trees
- Chop 5 Magical Trees

Furniture Making

- Craft 5 Common Furniture
- Craft 3 Uncommon Furniture
- Craft 1 Rare Furniture

(Note, this only counts intra-tier rarity, not inter-tier rarity. A Dragontide Armchair is a Common. A Log Cabin Chandelier is a Rare.)

Gardening

- Harvest 30 Crops
- Harvest 10 Star Quality Crops
- Use 30 Fertilizer

(I might have the non-Fertilizer ones wrong here, the first thing I do when I get up is check my Gardening plot, so I tend to autocomplete most of these missions.)

Hunting

- Hunt 30 Creatures
- Hunt 5 Magical Creatures
- Hunt 10 Creatures Together

Mining

- Mine 20 Nodes
- Loot 10 Precious Metals (Gold and Silver Ore, counts even if you get it from another source besides mining them.)
- Mine 5 Nodes Together

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

They had nodes as instanced per-player for awhile in the alpha and it was so much nicer but people whined about it ~"not reinforcing community"~

personally I thought the lovely behavior in chat towards people who solo gathered/didn't shout out rare nodes and wait 5 minutes for everyone to gather and get a hit was way worse, but what do I know (but this seems to have died out mostly or not be a thing anymore? I haven't been going hard at the beta yet, thanks to bg3, but this stuff took a lot of the joy out of early alpha for me)

the game is perfectly fine as a farm-em-up though, yeah. especially for the price of free

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

only time i saw people get mad over stolen nodes was hunting

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
If you get paralyzed and are unable to move right after beginning to cook something press "H" and move the crafting station. You will become unstuck.

Also /unstuck is a useful command for other such occasions.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Gets posted:

If you get paralyzed and are unable to move right after beginning to cook something press "H" and move the crafting station. You will become unstuck.

Also /unstuck is a useful command for other such occasions.

I got stuck once after falling in the water.

What is the best way to make money early game? Capture and sell bugs?

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
I tried Palium mining in Bahari by login hopping and doing circles around the nodes with the geyser in the center. With a Fine Pickaxe I got about 5500g from one hour after selling all the rocks, plants and mushrooms. Helps if you know the spots where plants are clipped under the map so you only know they are there from the sound they make.

Farming I think is the best money since you get to actually play the game. Invest in some plots and seed collectors and read Arenvanya's complete guide.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Very early game (beyond the point where you're just picking up Sundrop Lilies off the ground), Hunting's supposed to be the big money maker, moving to eventually Mining, then Gardening/Cooking/Fishing as the end game depending on how many friends you have for cooking/how much time you want to spend processing crops or food into Glow Worms and then go fishing. Some people swear by just making a garden exclusively full of Tomatoes and turning them all into seeds though, especially if you have a lot of harvest boost fertilizer and are committed to solo play.

Furniture Making is obviously only a money sink. Foraging is useful for supplementing stuff but doesn't make great money on its own. Bug Catching is sort of like Foraging in that respect, but you only really care about Silk Thread from Rare bugs, so it's less overall useful.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 15, 2023

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
Tish's Friendship 4 quest is bugged. Can't place the thing you're supposed to place.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jossar posted:

Very early game (beyond the point where you're just picking up Sundrop Lilies off the ground), Hunting's supposed to be the big money maker, moving to eventually Mining, then Gardening/Cooking/Fishing as the end game depending on how many friends you have for cooking/how much time you want to spend processing crops or food into Glow Worms and then go fishing. Some people swear by just making a garden exclusively full of Tomatoes and turning them all into seeds though, especially if you have a lot of harvest boost fertilizer and are committed to solo play.
Really? That's a very different progression than I took. I only started playing last Thursday when the open beta started. Hunting was not an easy or casual activity to start. Killing those deer was a huge pain since they take two shots and run away. I was actually playing with a friend and even then it took a lot of coordination to take them out without them running. I guess I could have gone after the little squirrel guys more, but playing primarily coop they also felt bad to hunt 'cause my friend couldn't get the loot when I one-shot them.

I can't imagine ever using mining to make money. Copper was so hard to get with everyone running around the town area. Even now it's something I'm struggling with. Moving on to iron was a relief because no one hangs out in the second area and you can always get at least get some iron nodes.

No, I started out making money with fishing and gardening, which may not be optimal. It took a while to make money fishing without bait, but at least it was reliable. I farmed a lot of rice and carrots to start so I'd get some profits in a relatively short time.

I've made a ton of money farming ever since. At first I came up with complicated patterns to make sure everything had weed protection and water retention to save labor, but eventually I realized that it's a lot more labor to remember and replant that obnoxious pattern and weeding plants wasn't that hard. So now I just have stripes of tomatoes, potatoes, and wheat because watering is more effort than I want to put in.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
Kenli's tiny garden pond that gave glow worm tier fish with no worms got patched after a day of getting public.

Also there's pets now and new cosmetics. Was quite surprised when someone ran toward me in a pirate outfit followed by a cat.

In sad news: You ain't catching a Star Ancient Fish without buffs. Just learned that the hard way :smith:

Gets fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 16, 2023

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Full patch notes here:

https://palia.com/news/patch-166

The pets are premium only, at least for now. I'm hoping that's not permanent so those of us who are averse to premium currencies in games can have them. The current setup is you get a cat with any premium currency purchase, and after a high enough amount of currency purchased you get a fancy cat. This is also retroactive so you get a cat if you purchased premium currency prior to this patch.

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

Eiba posted:

Pets as premium only is pretty lovely IMO

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Well, it's the LoL business model. Free game, only cosmetics for mtx. As long as the game is good, it's best to just think of the cosmetics as a pay-what-you-want sort of thing.

That said they didn't have to go straight for the Blizzard school of cosmetics pricing, I feel like they're really shooting themselves in the foot there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This is a cozy home sim/creativity platform. Unlike League or Diablo or whatever other game has cosmetic DLC, making things look nice and interesting is the gameplay end-goal in Palia, unless you're legitimately trying to say that you're here for mining rocks, which I guess power to you then.

Obvious you're not going to get any kind of advantage by paying since that doesn't even seem possible in a game like this (since it's barely multiplayer at all, much less an MMO), but when the point of the game is making a cool looking house or living the farm life, locking most of the interesting options behind expensive "cosmetic" store content sucks a little more than usual.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 16, 2023

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
You get an advantage when you have friends. Where can I buy one of those? :shobon:

code:
	Known Issues Report
We are aware of, and working to resolve, the following Known Issues:

*Lighting appearing washed out, causing eyestrain
 *Missing oysters in Bahari Bay
I was beginning to go crazy trying to get a Pearl this morning.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

genovefa fedelmid posted:

Pets as premium only is pretty lovely IMO
In my defense, that wasn't the case when I made that post!

I do hope they add some way to get some other pets from quests or something eventually.

I actually was enjoying the game so much I felt like it was worthwhile to spend some money on a nice outfit literally the day before the pet thing. So from my perspective I just was unexpectedly given a cat, and it felt real good 'cause it's adorable and I love it and I decided to name mine Peanut and we're best friends now.

If I hadn't been in that position and I wanted a pet I can imagine being a bit rankled, and I don't blame anyone who's not happy with how this is being done.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
If you have a Smoke Bomb in your hand while harvesting you dab heh

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im here for the rock mining !

Problem with the game is, if you are a horder, you never have money..

I think i need to sort that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

For anyone still playing this, be careful. People figured out this game has either no or essentially no anticheat, and they can grant themselves full permissions to just take all your poo poo out of your housing plot (which is separate from the other issue where other people's plots can spawn overlayed on yours and you can just grab their plants. This lets them take your furniture and stuff out of your storage and processors too).

Between this and resources being absurdly difficult to get now I think i'm uh. Done with this game!