Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Crikey, that's New World levels of busted! But I guess this time the line about a small indie studio is at least unironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gets
Mar 11, 2009

Meeko posted:

For anyone still playing this, be careful. People figured out this game has either no or essentially no anticheat, and they can grant themselves full permissions to just take all your poo poo out of your housing plot (which is separate from the other issue where other people's plots can spawn overlayed on yours and you can just grab their plants. This lets them take your furniture and stuff out of your storage and processors too).

Between this and resources being absurdly difficult to get now I think i'm uh. Done with this game!

What resources are you trying to find? If it's the high-tier stuff like Heat Root, Dari Cloves and Flow Trees I could gift you some Dousing Rods which marks them on the nav-map for you. Or we could go snatch them up together if you don't have those as a Request option yet.

I have zero problems finding resources. Just bought the iron chest because I figured it would still take too long to process my overflowing storage if I invested in more crafters. Rather amass a stockpile today and passively churn things out on the weekend.

From what I gathered if you switch your plot to your secondary preferably empty slot they can't snatch anything. Got a lot of furnishing from leveling up I don't care about I could put down in a decoy house and see what happens.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
code:
HOTFIX 0.166.1 HAS BEEN DEPLOYED
Palia has now returned to live service. Thank you for your patience!  

This hotfix includes:
> Adjustments to overall game lighting to improve experience of eyestrain
> Re-introduction of unofficial work-in-progress controller support
> The return of unopened oysters
> Fixed a flickering floorboard in the Medium Room add-on
> Fixed Y binding to open inventory instead of most recently opened P menu
> Included fixes for two crash incidents
> Updated menu UI to fix typos
> Some players were able to equip a pet without owning it
> Players who owned their Palcats will still have them equipped. For any related issues, please reach out to player support. https://support.palia.com/

As a reminder, we are aware of the merging housing plot issues and related missing items issues. 
This is being actively investigated, and we are still looking for more reports and information.

Gets fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 18, 2023

genovefa fedelmid
Sep 28, 2016

I'd like to see the "Cat bus" do THIS

Hra Mormo posted:

Crikey, that's New World levels of busted! But I guess this time the line about a small indie studio is at least unironic.

The studio isn't small, and while its technically correct that they're indie, I feel like they're not quite so indie in spirit.
$50 million budget and close to 200 staff and over five years they've barely scraped together a typical one-person-dev-team 'cozy' steam game
Bit of a disappointment all-around tbh, the fact you make furniture that you can't even sit on is kind of a dealbreaker for a ~cozy~ life sim "MMO" game for me (they've loving murdered the word 'cozy' for all time as well)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

getting cozy in my $30 digital t-shirt

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

genovefa fedelmid posted:

The studio isn't small, and while its technically correct that they're indie, I feel like they're not quite so indie in spirit.
$50 million budget and close to 200 staff and over five years they've barely scraped together a typical one-person-dev-team 'cozy' steam game
Bit of a disappointment all-around tbh, the fact you make furniture that you can't even sit on is kind of a dealbreaker for a ~cozy~ life sim "MMO" game for me (they've loving murdered the word 'cozy' for all time as well)
I will say, as someone who doesn't know all that background and for who this game basically came out of the blue last week, while I have been absolutely loving what is there, it is absolutely inexplicable that you cannot sit on the furniture.

Surely that's the first piece of feedback everyone has given, right?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
The team for Palia isn't the entire studio, they have two other projects active right now at least. But yeah, it's definitely a "technically" indie game. The lack of being able to use furniture is pretty drat odd though.
Also just hit my first two level 10 skills; farming and furniture crafting. About half a level for mining and foraging to hit weeklies on them.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I'm more concerned that there is no way to craft multiple stacks of things like ammo, repair kits, etc. Or the utter mess the furniture crafting tab becomes after you learn a couple of styles. The UI could use some serious reworking in general.

Also, why can't I romance Snu-Snu Sifuu? I can clank a robot but not a muscle mommy? Or muscle daddy Hodari if that is your preference. Jani is like an a-dorkable little sister, Kenyatta and N'aio are already hooked up, is Tish dating Jel (maybe ?), and Tamala is sus as hell.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
Weekly bribes to gain friends this week:

Ashura - Sweet Leaf; Acorn; Flow-Infused Plank; Trout Dinner
Auni - Unopened Oyster; Garden Mantis; Stripeshell Snail; Apple Pie
Badruu - Carrot; Loaded Potato Soup; Azure Stonehopper
Caleri - Sundrop Lilly; Glass Bulb; Blueberry Jam; Dari Cloves
Dick Chayne - Carrot Seeds; Apple Jam; Heat Root; Palian Onion Soup
Delaila - Rainbow Trout; QualityUp; Blueberries; Giant Goldfish
Einar - Bahari Crab; Spineshell Crab(not Vampire); Fathead Minnow; Stormray
Elouisa - Unopened Oyster; Proudhorn Stag Beetle; Scarlet Koi; Cloudfish;
Eshe - Grilled Oyster; Samara; Silver Bar; Akwinduu Chapaa
Hassian - Plant Fiber; Brightshroom; Azure Chapaa Tail; Dispell Arrow
Hekla - Brightshroom; Brightshroom; Enchanted Pupfish; Black Sea Bass;
Hodari - Paper Lantern Bug; Elder Sernuk Antlers; Proudhorn too; Steak Dinner
Jel - Umbran Carp; Freshwater Eel; Pearl; Green Pearl
Jina - Flint; Cotton Seed; Cream of Mushroom Soup; Radiant Sunfish
Kenli - Grilled Oyster; Striped Chapaa Tail; Steak Dinner; Meaty Stir Fry.
Kenyatta - Wild Garlic; Elder Sernuk Antler; Brighteye Butterfly; Crimson Fangtooth
Nai'o - Stone Brick; QualityUp; Steak Dinner; Stalking Catfish
Najuma - Knapweed; Copper Bar; Iron Ore; Silver Bar
Reth - Creamy Carrot Soup; Yellow Perch; Cream of Tomato Soup
Sifuu - Stone Brick; Elder Sernuk Antlers; Silver Ore; Fireworks Arrow.
Tamala - Kilima Night Moth; Garden Millipede; Shimmerfin; Long Nosed Unicorn Fish(!)
Tish - Shell; Heartwood Plank; Silk Thread;
Zeki - Unopened Oyster; Fish Stew; Dari Cloves;

https://palianpc.com/ once it's updated.

Gets fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 21, 2023

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

MH Knights posted:

Also, why can't I romance Snu-Snu Sifuu? I can clank a robot but not a muscle mommy? Or muscle daddy Hodari if that is your preference. Jani is like an a-dorkable little sister, Kenyatta and N'aio are already hooked up, is Tish dating Jel (maybe ?), and Tamala is sus as hell.
It's definitely a conscious choice to not make any of the parents romancable. Which sucks, I'd romance Badruu in a beat. Hodari kind of makes sense since his whole thing "Dead wife" and "spirited child."
Sifuu is just too much for anyone one person to handle. I respect that.

IMO
Jana definitely feels like a little sister. It'd be wierd to romance her. Especially with Hak following her everywhere.

Jel isn't super in to romance, dude is focused on becoming a name brand. Tish just really really likes talking about the creative process. I don't think those two are a thing in that way. They both feel married to thier work.

Kenyatta though? She likes to watch. Not sure if they're like officially a thing or if she's trying to piss off her mom. But eye candy is eye candy.

Tamala had a very physical romance-thing with another romancable character and that didn't go anywhere. But the lady is like at least 180 so that'll be problematic in most cases. She's got quite the fanbase.

I don't know anything about the robot. I hate fishing.
He odes have a wonderful voice though.

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
Palia - We Have Come For The Froggy Bucket

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Fishing robot for life!!

The only one in the game worth it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

To be honest I went from "that looks pretty interesting" to smashing the download button when I learned you could romance the ancient mossy fishing robot.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

im the botw stamina meter

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im finding this game scratches itches well.

Gather system is simple and works. You can drop in/drop out.
Once you get stuff sorted money comes in fairly easily, but not so easy that its trivial.

And the fishing robot looks forward to experiencing joy when i return, though he did have to move the pebble i gave him away from his other pebbles because it was being bit of a trouble maker!

FelixNC
Jul 14, 2022
I developed an autohotkey script so that cooking minigames wouldn't completely ruin what's left of my wrists.

Other than that the game is great. Not having a relentless focus on combat for a change is really pleasant.

Gonna date that robot.

FelixNC
Jul 14, 2022

Gets posted:

Tish's Friendship 4 quest is bugged. Can't place the thing you're supposed to place.

This got fixed in the 0.167 update, if you haven't checked back since (or for anyone else reading and wondering).

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender

FelixNC posted:

Gonna date that robot.

https://www.tumblr.com/shinypurplepebble

FelixNC
Jul 14, 2022

Best thing I've seen all day! :syoon:

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

quote:

Surely that's the first piece of feedback everyone has given, right?

As a longtime member of the official Discord: yes, yes it is. That and crafting things in bulk. Maybe someday.

We did recently get a /sit emote. We can only sit cross-legged for now, but sitting in chairs has been stated to be in the works.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has this game progressed at all or is it still kinda the same as the past few months?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Has this game progressed at all or is it still kinda the same as the past few months?

Hodari is now romanceable. They added in sort functions to the crafting table and added multi crafting as well (not for cooking though).

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Obligatory referral code:
https://accounts.palia.com/sign-up?referral=cf8f8efa-b4d5-40d0-8ded-94664e553eb7

I started playing this two weeks ago, and it hooked me hard. I was prepared to try this out for one weekend tops and move on, but the ˜”*°•♥ cozy ♥•°*”˜ vibes were actually pretty spot on? I thought the villagers were charming, if a little one-note, but they slowly got more development as I reached higher relationship levels. It's very much not ready for release "by the end of the year" like they seem to be targeting, but if their Discord community is any indication, a good amount of people are willing to put up with a lot of jank, predatory prices and missing key features.

One of the most disappointing aspects for me is that there's very little meaningful multiplayer interaction. I'm baffled that I can't share a plot or neighborhood with my girlfriend, a community or even other random people. Players can set up permissions that allow their friends to do things in their plot, but they can only enter said plot when the owner is online and inside the housing instance. Seeing people running around is nice, but with 25 players tops per instance, especially in Bahari Bay, one can go a long time without seeing a soul. There are cooking parties that are supposedly big money, but require a level of min-maxing and coordination that I'm not sure are very compatible with the ˜”*°•♥ cozy ♥•°*”˜ farming sim motif... and yet besides that, the best we can hope for currently is coordinating cutting down Flow trees and mining Palium nodes... something that becomes downright tedious very quickly.

I also have to say, the more I deal with my crops, the more the harvesting burns me out. It's kind of ludicrous, now that I'm no longer in the honeymoon phase, that the game demands me to be online potentially multiple times a day, just to weed and water my crops, forcefully gating growth. I don't mind waiting for the timer, but the weeding and watering means it instead turns into an artificial player engagement device, especially as some crops will let me harvest them multiple times and/or have very long growth periods.

There's a lot to love, but oh so many glaring faults to match. All that being said, I'm sticking with it for now, albeit playing a lot less than I did for the first week. I see so much heart in this despite all my misgivings, and I often catch glimpses of something truly fantastic here and there. It just needs some more polish, (The climbing is really bad, and the lack of swimming animation is a big question mark.) quite a bit more of QoL, and more reasons to play with others.

Oh right, and a lot more content. Like holy moly I really hope they aren't planning to release this with only two zones.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 28, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ruby Prism posted:

I also have to say, the more I deal with my crops, the more the harvesting burns me out. It's kind of ludicrous, now that I'm no longer in the honeymoon phase, that the game demands me to be online potentially multiple times a day, just to weed and water my crops, forcefully gating growth. I don't mind waiting for the timer, but the weeding and watering means it instead turns into an artificial player engagement device, especially as some crops will let me harvest them multiple times and/or have very long growth periods.
Good news- you can pattern your crops so that weeds won't grow and you won't need to re-water them. It's not even super complicated if that's your only goal. A row of carrots/onions for weeding and then a row of potatoes/tomatoes for watering. Unfortunately your crops just won't grow unless you check in every hour so yeah, you have to check in all the time. With that in mind I figured weeding wasn't a huge problem and just planted rows of tomatoes/potatoes so everything stayed watered and when I logged in to progress things I just weeded the odd weed.

I played a lot and got my money's worth out of the game (free), but the progression didn't end up being all that fun.

Gathering copper and iron was fine, but once I had to get the magic metal and the magic trees the fact that the game was an MMO felt terrible. People just gathered all the resources before I could. Sometimes people helped with the magic wood, but the top tier metal? I just never got to see it. So I figured I was at the end of the game and just stopped. I might revisit it if there's a huge update eventually.

The game would be so much better if it weren't an MMO. I really enjoyed playing it coop with a friend, to the frustratingly limited extent that I could, but strangers only made my experience worse.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'm currently doing a checkerboard of tomatoes and wheat. The tomatoes give me quite a bit of money when I pickle them, and the wheat I turn into seeds, saving enough for the next cycle and keeping 10 each day to make Steak Dinner. It's very good money and keeps my Focus bar filled, but what kills me is checking my crops multiple times a day.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
If that's where Palia's at, I'm a little nervous just because that's pretty much exactly how I left it two months ago, perhaps with a few more individual quests and such.

I do recall that people were getting better about harvesting Palium as a communal project, where people were mapping out spawn locations and would call out whether a node was up, but even then you could certainly have times where people on a particular server just didn't want to share and it was everyone for themselves. Maybe that's fully deteriorated since then.

Farming was (and remains) incredibly obsessive, though as someone who had made it to "endgame", I really did love farming a metric ton of blueberries and going to cooking parties, even if some of those gatherings were incredibly regimented for maximum profit/output.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ruby Prism posted:

Like holy moly I really hope they aren't planning to release this with only two zones.

Let's be honest here, this game has been released. The "Beta" tag is just there to deflect criticism.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Ruby Prism posted:

One of the most disappointing aspects for me is that there's very little meaningful multiplayer interaction

Yeah, this is ultimately what made me drop it after a few weeks. There are much better single player cozy farm sims, Palia's whole appeal was being multiplayer... But it didn't do a great job of it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I had someone try to play together with.

It just doesnt work :/

but it is chill enough to play solo and talk to people.

As for the magic rocks, there is a geyser with metal spawns about it. Just need to hang around and break everything you dont want while you wait for it to respawn.

Trees, you need a group of like 5+ people just chopping every tree in a small area and then wait for the magic wood.

i havent logged in in a while

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

MH Knights posted:

Let's be honest here, this game has been released. The "Beta" tag is just there to deflect criticism.

with the amount of promotion that nintendo has been giving the game, i think it's possible that the switch launch is the real launch. but we shall see, maybe the switch version will be the exact same but with joy-con support taped on...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i tried opening this game a few days ago, and the updater or some other part of the game did something that makes the game unlaunchable for me. i click "play" and after a few seconds an Unreal Engine crash reporter window comes up

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

There is a Switch launch date for Palia! December 14.

In other news, it looks like they have started to add/fix controller support to the PC version. I haven't tried it out but the last few patch notes talk about several additions and revisions to how controllers work. This has been kind of a key feature for me personally ever since I learned they were going to add it, so I have held off playing a bit until I saw this news.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Same, actually. Hopefully the Switch performance isn’t terrible

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Switch performance is kinda rough and the text in handheld isn't great but cross-progression is nice.

I like the game quite a bit so far. I was hoping for some light combat like Rune Factory but it's no biggie.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, the Switch performance aint great but it's good enough to play. Anyone want to create a community thing? I'll do it after work tonight if no one else does

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I made a Goon Squad community but socials seem buggy right now.
There are friend requests I can't reject. Just approve or leave there.

Is it still buggy where people visiting your plot can steal poo poo? I'd love to have people over but I'm nervous.

Otherwise I'm loving this game. It's so loving chill.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Oh, I made one too with the same name.

It's fun but the timers on crafting seem outrageous

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

omg chael crash posted:

Oh, I made one too with the same name.

It's fun but the timers on crafting seem outrageous

Once you get your first upgrade (like for smelters or whatever), crafting times go WAY down.
Don't smelt iron in basic refineries. The next step up is less than half the time, I think.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Oh, that’s great. I wasn’t sure how much of an improvement they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I highly recommend that folks don't spend Renown on writs to expand your plot beyond a couple squares at first.
It's gonna be a while before you start filling it out and Renown is better spent upping your focus max (water dragon shrine) or focus bonus (phoenix shrine, where you first emerged.)

Focus bonus is better until 50% (?) but then you get pretty steep diminishing returns.
Focus total should be what you can reasonably fill with whatever you can cook.

I'm at 53% and 450 cap and it's a very comfortable amount. I have a huge stockpile of ramen bowls, so running out is never a worry.

Don't forget that, along with animals and bugs, you can use star food as props! It really helps a house feel like a home.