Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edit for forum rotation: This is an instalment in a semi-regular competition in Goons With Spoons, where we invite competitors from SomethingAwful to cook for us. The rules are fairly straightforward:

• Anyone with an SA account can participate (definitely not just GWS regulars)
  • You need to cook some dishes using the theme ingredient and document what you did
  • Then post a thread in GWS, linking to it in this thread
  • The entries are voted on and the winner wins a small prize!

The ICSA thread can be found here. This has links to many of the previous competitions, if you’re looking for examples of how these things usually play out.

It's time once again to do battle in the kitchen, with one of the most summery of secret ingredients: COURGETTES

Technically a berry, the humble courgette is a type of squash, usually green, sometimes golden, always delicious. Sometimes known as zucchini, this is actually a plural, a single courgette should be called a zuchinno, or if you are being really, really stricly accurate, because they are produced by the female part of the plant, zucchina. I will refer to them as courgettes, because I have the honour of being British.

Easy to grow, delightful ground coverage and they thrive in raised beds, a much better phorographer than I am snapped this image that looks very similar to the siutation in my garden…

I have a glut of courgettes, because they are easy to grow, I have an unending supply of chicken poo poo fertiliser, and my kids love them. I spent the better part of June fertilising flowers with a paint brush, and now I have more courgettes than I can fit in the fridge. I am struggling to come up with creative ways to use them up, and everyone is starting to get bored of delicious roasted courgettes with garlic and herbes de provence.

So goons, I come to you with a challenge. I want you to present to me at least three dishes, one of which must be a dessert, utilising courgettes and showing them to their fullest. Because I am also a horrible lush, I would also like a drink, but that is optional…

You can use any part of the courgette plant you wish, but do not play fast and loose with what is and is not a courgette: I will accept golden yellow courgettes, I will even accept marrows, but this is no place for other squash, only the fruits of the courgette will satisfy me and my need to cook and eat my crop.

The winners will be decided by popular vote:

1st prize will be a $50 voucher for the online store of your choice
2nd prize will be a $20 voucher

Chairman’s prize for the best drink will be the forum’s upgrade of your choice

*These prizes may go up if some charitable person(s) wants to contribute to the pot

I am going to be in France drinking pastis for a large part of August, so I will give everyone until midnight (UK time) on the 31st of August to get their entries in…

So now SomethingAwful, with an open heart and empty stomach, I say unto you in the words of my uncle: Allez cuisine!

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Way to mock my pest ridden vines, dude. I had to pull one out just this morning.

On the other hand we are hitting high season in Kentucky and we are about to be in-couragette-able with the harvest. Game on.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

loving just realised I misspelt courgette every time I wrote it, I’ve corrected the OP but the title remains a monument to my idiocy

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I will vote for whoever posts a recipe for squash bugs. Preferably involving fire.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress it i might actually do something for this cuz we eat squash pretty much weekly because it's so cheap

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Scientastic posted:

loving just realised I misspelt courgette every time I wrote it, I’ve corrected the OP but the title remains a monument to my idiocy

Fixed :)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I might give this a go, but honestly I'll probably cook ahead a lot of it. The kid is often active in the afternoon so I can't really dedicate myself to cooking for a few hours.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Eeyo posted:

I might give this a go, but honestly I'll probably cook ahead a lot of it. The kid is often active in the afternoon so I can't really dedicate myself to cooking for a few hours.

That’s fine, I always do that when I’m participating, and prepare huge amounts of it in advance.

You don’t even need to serve it all in one meal (although I always do, because it’s an excuse to have friends round, this is also why I do so much in advance, so I can spend time chatting and drinking instead of cooking), just as long as you document it and it holds together coherently

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 20, 2023

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My father-in-law picked a bad summer to stop growing zucchini! Dammit!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Awesome theme! Unfortunately I'm not exactly swimming in zucchini in India (I've never seen one for sale outside of fancy expensive shops that sell specialty stuff) so I'll have to sit this one out, but I'm excited to see what people come up with.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My father-in-law picked a bad summer to stop growing zucchini! Dammit!

Hell, same. Decided to go with cucumbers this year in my zucchini space just as a change of pace.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Awesome theme! Unfortunately I'm not exactly swimming in zucchini in India (I've never seen one for sale outside of fancy expensive shops that sell specialty stuff) so I'll have to sit this one out, but I'm excited to see what people come up with.

See if you can get an exemption to use bitter gourd.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

See if you can get an exemption to use bitter gourd.
There's definitely a lot of that around! Just in the past few weeks I've made it stuffed, in a dal, and sautéd.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I also picked the wrong year to stop growing zucchini. Wanted to double dig my garden, and managed to do a whole square yard out of roughly 36 before giving up. Now I have a bare garden. I'll try to do something anyways. I'm sure I know someone who has too many of the drat things, as we all do.

Cour blimey.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Dammit, I'm in the wrong hemisphere for this one!

My Facebook is full of northerners posting incipient-zucchini-apocalypse pictures and my patch here in Australia is an abandoned wasteland of brown rotting things and frozen birdbaths (full of possum poo poo. which freezes solid).

Still, I'm bookmarking this thread for the excellent recipes that will be posted here for me to hoard and apply to my own expected crop to be measured in fractions of a tonne.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
If anyone want to steal my ideas, zucchini goes well in both dip and cake (2/3)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I went shopping yesterday and discovered the local price of zucchini mid-winter: $3.50/kg.

I'm in! Count me in on this one.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Gonna try for this one. Not sure where I'm going to get ideas now that foodgawker is down, though

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Can we use pattypan squash? It’s also cucurbita pepo. Looking forward to seeing what people come up with in the thread!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

do not play fast and loose with what is and is not a courgette: I will accept golden yellow courgettes, I will even accept marrows, but this is no place for other squash, only the fruits of the courgette will satisfy me and my need to cook and eat my crop.

Do as you will, but know that I will judge you

And you might not get as many votes

Or you might get more, because your food might be better, who knows

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Ah, well in that case I say porque no los dos.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with how this works, when you have your picture diary of preparing and serving your food, you need to write a post describing what you did etc., make a thread and link it here. Don’t post your recipes here!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I love Zucchini so thread bookmarked! :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Incredibly, my courgette plant has just started producing a second batch, so I was back out in my garden with my paintbrush this morning, to helping these sex-starved berries to do their thing.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Hello Games! The Goons With Spoons Iron Chef Battle 73: Courgette thread is going around the forums to drum up interest. You're our first stop! Got too many courgettes/zucchinis? Come and cook them with us, and maybe win a prize!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I am a miserable cook but an alright mixologist so if nothing else I might take a stab at some sort of zucchini cocktail for the fun of it!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Mode 7 posted:

I am a miserable cook but an alright mixologist so if nothing else I might take a stab at some sort of zucchini cocktail for the fun of it!

This sounds frightening but tomato juice works so :shrug:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
A cocktail made of a sumac lemonade with zucchini essence would be very nice, maybe.

Blueberry zucchini bread is a thing, deconstruct that and have a blueberry zucchini cocktail with a spiced rum or something.

Take the things that already work and make them into a drink.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i look forward to tasting the results of your hard work

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
First, you need to catch a courgette/zucchini, so we're stopping in TFR to learn how to hunt!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I was going to follow this because I have too much zucchini that I also need something to do with, and somehow came up with a great dessert idea so I might try for it if I can come up with a drink.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh gently caress I have so many goddamned zucchini in my garden/fridge. Cucumbers too, do those count?

Also one of the zucchini got way too goddamned big and it probably tastes like mush, but it's also the size of my goddamned arm so I'm tempted to do something dumb with it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
sliced zucchini coated with a mixture of olive oil and butter and seared on a hot grill make an outstanding accompaniment for grilled meats of all types. It's not gourmet, but it is damned good eats.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh gently caress I have so many goddamned zucchini in my garden/fridge. Cucumbers too, do those count?

Also one of the zucchini got way too goddamned big and it probably tastes like mush, but it's also the size of my goddamned arm so I'm tempted to do something dumb with it.

We had one that was hiding under a leaf that was legit the size of my thigh when we found it. Got 3 zuch breads and a cake out of it iirc.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You should all cook your courgettes and post in GWS, it doesn’t need to be “gourmet”, we appreciate good eating!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

sliced zucchini coated with a mixture of olive oil and butter and seared on a hot grill make an outstanding accompaniment for grilled meats of all types. It's not gourmet, but it is damned good eats.

Yeah this is the most basic rear end grill veggie ever but staples are staples for a reason. Good eats.

My family and I are have been loving nomads all summer due to major renovations on our house but I would love to participate in this if I can find a day to blow on it before deadline. Have a menu in mind. Appreciate you hosting, Scientastic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

One of our favorites right now is zucchini fries. Basically cut that poo poo into spears, do something with salt to pull some moisture out (? - I'll ask my wife, this is her dish) then you do the egg wash / flour / panko thing (flavor panko with old bay or oregano or whatever floats your boat) and toss it in the oven or air frier if you have one.

Basically makes something close enough to a french fry that people who want fries will eat them, but it's its own cool thing and tasty as gently caress on its own right. Dip in ketchup or ranch or whatever.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

One of our favorites right now is zucchini fries. Basically cut that poo poo into spears, do something with salt to pull some moisture out (? - I'll ask my wife, this is her dish) then you do the egg wash / flour / panko thing (flavor panko with old bay or oregano or whatever floats your boat) and toss it in the oven or air frier if you have one.

Basically makes something close enough to a french fry that people who want fries will eat them, but it's its own cool thing and tasty as gently caress on its own right. Dip in ketchup or ranch or whatever.

We basically do this, the kids love them

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Good evening GBS, I know a lot of you will have gardens and it is zucchini o'clock in August, so Goons With Spoons is inviting you to use those berries (allegedly) to create a feast for the eyes and also the stomach! Everyone is welcome to enter this competition! There may be special prizes :nyan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Recipe testing is going well, Dinner Party invites sent out. I am excited!