Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

nine-gear crow posted:

My mother's working her way through the audiobooks now that the show's over for another year+ now and she's about a quarter of the way through The Shadow Rising and so far her main takeaway has been "Holy gently caress, this guy needs to shut the hell up about carpets and curtains and just get on with the story!" :v:

I recall my dad saying something like this when we were watching S1, but that was also him going "huh, I didn't picture those characters as non-white. Then again, the books described many things in GREAT detail, but not the colour of skin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Aces High posted:

I recall my dad saying something like this when we were watching S1, but that was also him going "huh, I didn't picture those characters as non-white. Then again, the books described many things in GREAT detail, but not the colour of skin"

Yeah it's very rare to have someones skin color actually talked about. It does happen sometimes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah it's very rare to have someones skin color actually talked about. It does happen sometimes.

Yeah, I think Padan Fain is described as being extremely, sickly pale, and depicted in official art like a gross Shylock-looking Jewish caricature motherfucker, but Johann Myers has been rocking it so much that my brain is now overriding the books and I just go "That's Padan Fain!" whenever he shows up.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

DTurtle posted:

Without going into any book spoiler territory, I disagree on this. At least for early books Lanfear. Maybe later books Lanfear is a lot more … rounded … of a character, I can’t remember all the details of the latter half of the series. In the first half of the books she felt a lot more like a caricature of a character.

But your mileage might vary. I know that she is a favorite character of a decently sized part of the fandom.

And that’s all that I’m willing to say, considering this is the „No Book Spoilers“ thread.

If you are willing to read/listen to a long, epic fantasy book series, then the Wheel of Time is worth your time. It is a looooooooong series, but has a lot of very good characterization, character arcs, is complete, and basically everything set up has a payoff. However, the focus of the books themselves is more on the main characters of the „good“ side, with mostly glimpses of the other side. Those glimpses however are really, really good.

One of the main attractions to the books is that there are 148 pov characters.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Dysgenesis posted:

One of the main problems with the books is that there are 148 pov characters.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
I'm only into Ep 4 of S2 and so far I kinda like that the characters seem to have much more in screen chemistry with each other. Especially Rand seems much less of a wet blanket than in S1. It just has been good television so far.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzWq_e1iz2y/

Closeup video by one of the costume designers of Lanfear's throne outfit.

Also there's some early concept work of the outfit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Here's a neat little behind the scenes look at some VFX for Tar Valon:

https://twitter.com/outpostvfx/status/1734217412050833561

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Neat! I have to say though that Czech forrest somehow didn’t fit with the rest of the locations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It looks like a bunch of cast interviews are dropping now. I'm unsure why exactly.

https://x.com/AranTalk/status/1736781942308122840?s=20

https://x.com/decider/status/1736787006653399077?s=20

https://x.com/carlylane/status/1736780953513603481?s=20

wotseries.com released seven interviews yesterday!

https://www.wotseries.com/

https://www.looper.com/1473320/wheel-of-time-season-3-lanfear-evolution-natasha-okeeffe-interview/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 19, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://gizmodo.com/wheel-of-time-2-prime-video-madeleine-madden-interview-1851097078

Here's another Madeleine Madden did with Gizmodo.

Looks like now that the actors strike is over, the floodgates are open and the cast is catching up on all the promotional blitz material they were supposed to do for the show back in August and September.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It might just be that they did a bunch of interviews but they were embargoed until the strike ended. I thought that lifted a lot earlier though. Not like today.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
We've got bloopers!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud54mD58dLM

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Someone is going to kill someone" lmaooo

And them stepping on High Lady Suroth's cape

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just learned Season 2 came out months ago. How the time flies I guess.

I only just watched Ep1 last night, I guess I must've forgotten a lot of S1 (have read the books once) -- am I supposed to know who is the little girl with... is that Ishmael in the nice suit? And who is Perrin & Loial traveling with? I don't recall Bayle Domon being in Season 1, was he?

The problem with having read the books is I get a lot of that, "Oh I know him... but do I know him from having been on screen already, or just because I read it" 🙃

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

They didn't explain them in S1. You're not missing anything iirc

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Sab669 posted:

I just learned Season 2 came out months ago. How the time flies I guess.

I only just watched Ep1 last night, I guess I must've forgotten a lot of S1 (have read the books once) -- am I supposed to know who is the little girl with... is that Ishmael in the nice suit? And who is Perrin & Loial traveling with? I don't recall Bayle Domon being in Season 1, was he?

The problem with having read the books is I get a lot of that, "Oh I know him... but do I know him from having been on screen already, or just because I read it" 🙃

The girl is just a girl, but it is Ishmael.

Which guy? They are with the Shinarans, but instead of Hurin it's Elyas leading then.

And no Bayle Domon (or the Spray) in season 1.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Loved the first meeting of Elayne / Egwene lmao. "Oh yea, your room is full of old poo poo too?"

The Seanchan palanquin looks cool at least, not sure what I think of the golden pacifiers lol.

I forgot how good all the costumes & settings looked in this show. Love the casting for Liandrin; she's like a female Anthony Starr

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 30, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Loved the first meeting of Elayne / Egwene lmao. "Oh yea, your room is full of old poo poo too?"

The Seanchan palanquin looks cool at least, not sure what I think of the golden pacifiers lol.

I forgot how good all the costumes & settings looked in this show. Love the casting for Liandrin; she's like a female Anthony Starr

They kind of explain the golden pacifiers later in the season, it's a shame/domination thing. Proof that the Damane are so utterly broken and under control that they won't even dare spit out a humiliating mouth thing for fear of punishment so they keep it in out of their own will.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It was just a collar in the books, wasn't it? The prop design just looks goofy is all.

Also, drat Lanfear is a fox

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sab669 posted:

It was just a collar in the books, wasn't it? The prop design just looks goofy is all.

Yeah, the collar's still there, again, also will be explained on the show. But yeah, right now it's all just little details that add up to "the Seanchan are weird and gross and awful".

Lanfear is the highlight of the season, you are in for a real treat.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Give me a spin off show just about Lanfear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Hell yeah.

Whatever she wants it’s right and I’m down for it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Hell yeah.

Whatever she wants it’s right and I’m down for it.

Like 90% of Rand's dumb choices this season are because Lanfear is insanely hot.

...Also I guess the same is true of Lanfear, 90% of her dumb choices are because Rand is insanely hot as well.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Book was a small collar and bracelet connected by chain.

In the show it is a neck/shoulder collar and an arm bracer connected magically and sometimes augmented by a physical chain and/or pacifier.

Also: Lanfear is the highlight of the season, so enjoy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

There's something you should know, Rand. I'm a monster too.

:supaburn: gently caress haha.

I'm so disappointed I missed the weekly discussion when S2 aired, that was such a fun part of Season 1! I gotta go read the discussions from when this episode came out...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hopefully the showrunners are paying attention to the internet and bring us more Leather Mistress Lanfear next season.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the collar's still there, again, also will be explained on the show. But yeah, right now it's all just little details that add up to "the Seanchan are weird and gross and awful".

What's weird, is that the Seanchan are a very thin rehashing of the effete and decadent stereotypes classical westerners had about about the Persians and their culture. I mean, poo poo, the slave-drivers are basically wearing Scythian riding garb, right down the the pointed toed equestrian boots.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

What's weird, is that the Seanchan are a very thin rehashing of the effete and decadent stereotypes classical westerners had about about the Persians and their culture. I mean, poo poo, the slave-drivers are basically wearing Scythian riding garb, right down the the pointed toed equestrian boots.

I honestly don't know if they should have leaned more or less into the in the fact that the Seanchan were all clearly Americans or a post-apocalyptic pastiche of Americans embodying the various stereotypes and bigotries they hold against other races and cultures in the real world, only themselves this time. "What if Texas and Florida were Persia and China" is certainly a take that hasn't been done elsewhere in mainstream worldbuilding, to say the least.

withak posted:

Hopefully the showrunners are paying attention to the internet and bring us more Leather Mistress Lanfear next season.

I think Season 3 is mostly already in the can because they filmed as much of it as they could over the strike with the non-SAG-AFTRA cast members, or so I've heard, so we'll have to see if they get a fourth season. But I have a sneaking suspicion that they knew full well the internet was gonna got nuts for Lady Gaga Lanfear.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I assumed the addition of the mouth guards and upper torso coverings to the a'dams was to make it a little LESS kinky as opposed to just leash and collar. By adding more to it they distract from the straight up bondage aspect.

If they're described with the elaborate transformation in the books I super don't remember.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think they are just a plain silver-colored metal collar and chain in the books, there isn't any indication of what they are for until Egwene gets one put on her.

In the costuming meeting:
"So we are in agreement that the a'dams need to be less kinky to keep audience horniness levels manageable. Next item on the agenda is Lanfear's dreamworld costume."

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think RJ would be mostly happy with the Horny Levels of the show so far. Very attractive people, bdsm undertones, old women being sexually voracious. It's everything he dreamed of (except the spanking, there's never enough spanking)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainsDescendant posted:

I think RJ would be mostly happy with the Horny Levels of the show so far. Very attractive people, bdsm undertones, old women being sexually voracious. It's everything he dreamed of (except the spanking, there's never enough spanking)

My mother is currently going through the books for the first time all the way through and every time we discuss them her main takeaway on Robert Jordan is "This guy is a loving pervert, how did Harriet let him get away with even half of this poo poo?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope they find a way to work in a gratuitous spanking incident next season.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I'll say it again: it's somewhat refreshing for all the middle aged character to be the ones with the weird sexual triangles and hang ups while the younger characters can stick to adventuring and getting tortured. Everybody wins!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Jordan may have been a pervert but it was pretty mild for fantasy writers.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

withak posted:

I think they are just a plain silver-colored metal collar and chain in the books, there isn't any indication of what they are for until Egwene gets one put on her.

In the costuming meeting:
"So we are in agreement that the a'dams need to be less kinky to keep audience horniness levels manageable. Next item on the agenda is Lanfear's dreamworld costume."

Realistically the show runners realized they needed a distinctive costume piece to show who was who then a small collar that could be seen on screen when you didn't have an inner-monologue of "Nynaeve saw the sul'dam and damane walking down the street"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

My mother is currently going through the books for the first time all the way through and every time we discuss them her main takeaway on Robert Jordan is "This guy is a loving pervert, how did Harriet let him get away with even half of this poo poo?"
the likely answer is that she was also into it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The books are as long as they are because he needed to squeeze her kinks into it too :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Finally we know who liked a well tuned calf