Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT has been in a rough place since the pandemic, not bouncing back nearly as well as the other big Japanese companies. It certainly didn't help that Tetsuya Endo got concussed by NOAH's Katsuhiko Nakajima at CyberFight Festival and had to vacate the title and has since lost a bit of the support he once had. Kazusada Higuchi's title reign was incredibly entertaining but didn't translate into tickets sold, plus it was a big blow when he and Yoshimura had to vacate their tag titles back in November (the team that won the vacant belts, 37KAMIINA, would also have to vacate the belts due to injury because DDT is cursed). Now I love Yuji Hino, he's one of my favourite wrestlers and i'm very happy he won the title from Higuchi in an amazing match. But the company haven't exactly been positioning him as the top guy, his only defences being against guys like Naya and Iino who aren't exactly main eventers. This could all change with this challenge by Chris Brookes, who's combination of comedy stylings and wrestling skill (and well as having both English and Japanese proficiency) could turn the tide and help DDT regain some of the momentum the company has lost, both at home and abroad.

There are a suite of guest wrestlers coming in and also a mascot battle, so read the Dramatic DDT writeup to get a good handle on what's been going on. The show is also being broadcast with English commentary but unfortunately it's not nearly at the level of TJPW's. Unless they manage to wrangle some combination of Akki/Drew/Haku/Shota it'll probably be best to stick with Japanese commentary and check out the English twitter page for promo translations.

All this is not to say I'm not still super excited for the show, outside of Phermones and DTA every single match should be rad. I'm looking forward to seeing how guys like TAKA, Despy, Cardona and TAKESHITA mix it up with the incrdibly talented roster, and i'm hoping that Sumo Hall won't be as depressingly empty as some of the other big shows DDT have run recently were

quote:

23rd July
2pm JST/3pm AEST/6am BST/1am EST/10pm PST
DDT Wrestle Peter Pan
Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo

Kazuma Sumi vs Takeshi Masada
Masahiro Takanashi, Rukiya & Toi Kojima vs Sanshiro Takagi, Shinichiro Kawamatsu & Yuni
Akito, Soma Takao & Yoshitomo Shimohigashi vs Pheromones (Danshoku Dieno, Yuki Iino & Yumehito Imanari)
Burning (Kotaro Suzuki, Yusuke Okada & Yuya Koroku) vs Damnation TA (KANON, Minoru Fujita & MJ Paul) vs Disaster Box (Kazuki Hirata & Toru Owashi) & Naruki Doi
Andreza Giant Panda & Super Sasadango Machine vs Chiitan☆ & Pokotan
HARASHIMA & Yukio Naya vs Jun Akiyama & Shigehiro Irie
MAO vs TAKA Michinoku
KONOSUKE TAKESHITA vs Yuki Ueno
KO-D 6 Man Tag Team Titles: Harimao (Kazusada Higuchi, Ryota Nakatsu & Yuki Ishida)(c) vs Eruption (Hideki Okatani, Saki Akai & Yukio Sakaguchi
Daisuke Sasaki vs El Desperado
DDT Universal Title: Tetsuya Endo(c) vs Matt Cardona
KO-D Openweight Title: Yuji Hino(c) vs Chris Brookes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There's so much wrestling. So much. :f5:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

https://twitter.com/DramaticDDT/status/1682688866203975682

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Reading the translations from the press conference, I'm even more sure that Takeshita is losing. Ueno really needs something after failure after failure and beating his partner who hosed off to the other side of the world and came back a raging dickhead is a good first step. And Hino is really leaning heel for the Chris match, it'll be hard not cheering for that big beefy bastard but our lanky British lad needs all the support he can get

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
drat, i'm gonna have to catch up on this in the morning. hope it's a fun time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hope you are right about Ueno winning.

Honestly don't love this show on paper. Takeshita vs Ueno will be great, main event will rule, and I love that we get one more Eruption KO-D 6 Man challenge before Akai retires and have high hopes for that match too. And the mascots will be entertainingly stupid I'm sure. But a lot of the outside talent they've brought in just doesn't do much for me: TAKA is washed, Sasaki Despy is a match that could easily be good or deeply underwhelming, as is the Sasaki way these days, Cardona is a guy I've negative interest in watching

Naya back is nice though. But yeah, the DDT roster isn't in a great place right now between losing their top star and a rake of injuries. DDT must be the only company who I was more excited to watch in 2020 than I am today

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stream is live, Kris Statlander is doing an add for the AEW video game

English comms is Arai, Ciari and Ash (who runs the twitter account). Not fantastic but better than just Arai and Ciari would have been

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
At least the seating is flattering in terms of making it look like there's a crowd

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

High hopes for Chris Brookes even if he is fighting a mountain

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

High hopes for Chris Brookes even if he is fighting a mountain

Hino did mention he stopped training a couple of weeks ago so he doesn't completely steamroll Chris and his bad shoulder, so there's hope yet

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Sumi is so little, Masada is going to squash him

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Masada is so cool, outside of not liking his pants he's all upside

e: Really enjoyed that, great way to start the show

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Good to see Rukiya back after his injury, next step is getting Yoshimura back

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Politician first in the ring

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kayfabe on the suit not being his usual politician suit, brother brother!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Kayfabe on the suit not being his usual politician suit, brother brother!

next you'll be telling me OC isn't really wearing jeans!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hot tag to the workhorse of the team, a 15 year old child

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kawamatsu STRONG

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

next you'll be telling me OC isn't really wearing jeans!

:mods:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lol at the Toryumon Generation coming out to TOKYOOOOOO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The looks on his teammates' faces :lol:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hirata :allears:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

:laffo: Owashi you dambass

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teamwork!

Kinda....

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That was better than most Damnation matches

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh cool, Phermones. See you in 20 minutes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn this English commentary team needs to stop talking over each other

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Oh cool, Phermones. See you in 20 minutes

You only dislike them because they're awful and a blight on every single show they appear on that just make everything worse :colbert:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I have been OOTL with this

When the hell did the GM become a phermone, dude absolutely hated the phermones

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dancing Peasant posted:

I have been OOTL with this

When the hell did the GM become a phermone, dude absolutely hated the phermones

It's more that he hates teh carefree lifestyle the comedian on team Akito gets to have, while Imabayashi himself has to work several part time jobs to make ends meet.

And since he is no longer full time with the company having moved back to his hometown to look after his parents he no longer feels like it's his problem to police Pheromones

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Glad that's over with

Now, it's time for MASCOT BATTLE

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Super Sasadango Seed

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Time for SSD to give us the Keys to Victory

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goofy times are over, time for the insatiable bloodlust of the mascots.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I never realised that Andre was such a tragic figure :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pokotan! :stare:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chitan just telling Matsui to look away so she can use the Kendo :lol: