Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Gimme the Nuggets, let’s hope I don’t embarrass myself like last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
ok it wasn't just that I was a complete moron who didn't heed warnings not to overspend early. I wanted to do a scientific experiment to see how a team of literally "jokic and g-leaguers" would do. The answer is about 50% regular season win

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

I need to remind myself not to look at the ratings of players (because aneurysms sound scary) and to also assume that the simulation is kinder than reality w/r/t injuries.

iirc injuries are turned off??

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Still need lists from:

The Ninth Layer
rivetz
kingcobweb
ScooterMcTiny
kalensc

Only an hour left!!

I thought I pm’d you oh god who did I send it to instead

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Huge congrats to kalensc for winning that coin toss.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
gently caress sorry I’ve been traveling for UAW all day, didn’t submit bids. Hopefully none of the good players go for absurdly low prices

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Holy poo poo I won someone

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Naz Reid is a backup center who played 17 minutes a game last year what the Christ

Naz Reid

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

kalensc has signed Quentin Grimes for $53.

(The next highest bid was $51.)

Two loving dollars god drat it

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

kingcobweb has signed Walker Kessler for $130.

(The next highest bid was $61.)

Ok I bid more than double the next person but y’all crazy for not going over 61 for him! He’s good!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

xbilkis has signed Giannis Antetokounmpo for $556.

(The next highest bid was $555.)

Lmao

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kalensc posted:

NOOOOOO I HAS 557 AND SWITCHED IT TO 555

Let this be a lesson: increase your bids everyone.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Mr. F! has signed Cody Zeller for $89.

(The next highest bid was $5.)

Omfg

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

a new study bible! has signed Bones Hyland for $7.

(This was won via coin toss versus kalensc.)
Hey I bid $69

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Lol someone thought it was Terrence Mann

Nah I thought $30 for a 22 year-old backup is a decent bet that he could improve to "good bench player"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

This mfer stole my bones

You never HAD bones!!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

kingcobweb has signed Zion Williamson for $335.

(The next highest bid was $286.)

gently caress YEAHHHHHHH also outstanding image, lol

my strategy of underbidding on every superstar until everyone disagreed with me about one of them paid off

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

kingcobweb has signed Cam Johnson for $102.

(The next highest bid was $101.)

Oh hell yeah

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Idk if any of you play TFT/Auto Chess but playing this game really makes me wish that the NBA had an auto battler. There’s a lot of fun potential in that.

I play a shitload of tft!! Got masters in a couple previous sets when I had a lot of time to devote to ~studying~ the game.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

You also have to consider how you are playing. Like Aaron Gordon is rated really highly in the sim, but I think most fans probably wouldn’t rate him as one of the 25 best players in the league or whatever.

Maybe not top 25 but he's not that far off, y'all are underrating him. He legitimately guards 1-5 for the Nuggets, and their strategy of saving playing him at the 5 when Jokic was on the bench turned their biggest regular-season weakness into something of a strength. His finishing around the rim is great, and that's a legitimate skill; if it was as simple as "get the ball from Jokic" then the Nuggets would have been able to find someone else to do what he does.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I always think about what the traits would be for an NBA themed set.

Hmm, good question. The instant instinct is to make skills like "ball handler" into a trait, but that doesn't work because five PGs or five rim-protecting bigs definitely don't have synergy with one another.

You could either do "origins" as either the team they play for or something related to how they got to the NBA, like Euros, one and done, G League, second round picks. Then for the other trait you could have what their style is, like a "fundamentals" trait with John Stockton (4-cost) and Tim Duncan (5-cost) or "streetball" with Jason Williams and idk who else I just want Jason Williams to be in the game

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I’m not trying to hate on him. He’s clearly a perfect fit for Denver. I just agree with whoever said it above that if you remove him from that condition he’s not nearly as good. We’ll have to see Paul’s final team to make that judgement, but I think the number in Griggs sheet is generally high for him. It might differ in DBDs sim though, since I know those numbers are variable.

There are a lot of guys rated too high in the sim though imo.

Keep in mind the sim stats are just one simulation of it, and don't necessarily correspond 1:1 with the sim DBD is going to run. There's some randomness to represent how players can change from year-to-year, especially young ones. Like in one sim I made, the top 5 players by rating are Jokic (with a 73), Shai, Giannis, Luka, Embiid, and in another it's Giannis, Luka, KD, LeBron, Tatum.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Brandin Podziemski (G)

no loving way

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Paul Zuvella has signed Taurean Prince for $7.

(The next highest bid was $4.)

That's a good deal

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

G-Hawk has signed Ja Morant for $352.

(The next highest bid was $351.)

Lol it keeps happening

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

kingcobweb has signed Jrue Holiday for $235.

(The next highest bid was $186.)

I’ve been sending out super lowball bids on every good PG for like five days now. Finally got my guy.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Giggs has signed Corey Kispert for $4.

(The next highest bid was $3.)

gently caress!!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Ninth Layer has signed Josh Giddey for $33.

(The next highest bid was $32.)

gently caress ME

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Your BYOGM Denver Nuggets!!

The star player, I will not make obvious jokes about him, please fill in your own

PF - Zion Williamson

With Zion, the offensive plan is pretty clear: pair him with a good playmaker, shooting, and defense. Dunk the ball and shoot threes when he's triple-teamed.

PG - Jrue Holiday

Even after people repeat ad nauseam how good he is, I still think he's one of the most underrated players in the league. He's the lockdown defensive presence people delude themselves into thinking Marcus Smart is, while also putting up 19/7/5.

Okay, we have our offensive one-two punch. Let's spread the floor.

SF - Cameron Johnson

SG - Royce O'Neal

Both playing down a position relative to their irl roles, Cam Johnson adds a tertiary scoring punch while Royce is there for Grit and other buzzwords about roleplayers.

With Zion at the 4, we'll need a defensive-minded big next to him. We have a good one.

C - Walker Kessler

I won't be winning the simulation with this, because BBGM thinks a rookie who put up 14 pts 13 rebounds 3.7 blocks per 36 is going to be a replacement-level player in his second year. Dear reader, I know you know better. Kessler had a reasonable argument for getting ROTY, as his actual court impact was better than any other rookie's. And this roster has a lot more talent than irl Utah.

Sixth man - Bones Hyland

His stock has fallen since the real Nuggets made him fly commercial, but no matter where he is, Bones will come into the game and get Buckets. He'll spend a lot of time as the bench ballhandler, giving the team a more offense-first look, subbing in for Royce. Running the break, throwing to Zion for lob dunks, is going to be incredibly fun.

Other notable bench players:
SG - Josh Green - bench shooter.
PG - Tre Mann - pure backup PG, young guy with potential.
SF - Svi Mykhailiuk - bench shooter.

Also on the roster i guess, I got a bunch of bad centers:
Aaron Nesmith
JT Thor
Sandro Mamukelashvili
Kai Jones
IP Freely
Day'Ron Sharpe
Chuma Okeke

Team strengths:
  • Zion. He's really good, and he'll have space to operate.
  • Shooting. Look at the 3P% on the roster, and think about how these numbers will get better as they're spreading the floor for one another:
    • Jrue: 38.4%
    • O'Neal: 38.9%
    • Johnson: 40.4% (higher in Phoenix with less focus on him, which this team will provide)
    • Bones: 37.1% (but will let it fly from 35)
    • Green: 40.2%
    • Mykhailiuk: 40.4%
  • Solid-to-great defense, with Jrue and Kessler providing all-defense level protection at both point of attack and at the rim. Bones and Zion are the only two questionable parts of that. This roster has a lot of length, with O'Neal and Johnson at the 2 and 3.
  • Ability to play small-ball with Zion at the 5 and take a zillion threes, with Zion putting the misses back for dunks.

Team weaknesses:
  • Secondary ball-handling
  • Bench depth (basically only 7 guys who I feel good about being on the floor)
  • You may not be as big a believer as me in Zion (health-wise), Kessler (nerd talk about how he'll be great in a bigger role), or Bones (a team gave him away and won the championship)

Let me know what you think!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

About an hour and 20 minutes left to get votes in for the BYOGM '23 Goon Voting!

Ahhhhhh loving poo poo gently caress I forgot

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Brutal analysis from DBD

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Haha yeah so I’m fine with a bench of Bones Hyland and Tre Mann right

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
No loving way

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

Does coaching rating impact performance?

The BBGM setting? Only affects player progression

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Heat gonna win the finals. I believe in cyber-Curry and injury-proof JJJ.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
With injuries off, Utah's main strategy against my Nuggets of having Draymond hunt ballsacks and take out Zion won't work. 4-2.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

All chalk for round 1. Utah made it interesting going up 3-1 on Denver but they clawed their way back! Resilient team.
lmfao the sim is too real

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Red Rox posted:

lol we’ll that’s a huge bummer - hardly any goon votes AND a terrible sim season.

I was way happier with how I did this year but last year my lovely team somehow made it into the second round of the playoffs.

So confused.

I'm a moron who didn't get my vote in in time, but I think your team was rad and I'd love to watch a Fox/Jarrett Allen team irl, especially with Herb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
DBD could you post the year-end summary page that has all-league teams, finals mvp, 6moty, etc?