Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Man opens a video game themed pub and is driven to suicide by the clientele

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
A robot who loves. Later on it's revealed that the entire world is a simulation, and then the scientists running the simulation fall in love with the robot, and then one of them turns directly to the camera and says "Social Media is destroying our society." And also the robot is Jude Law.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Cursed vr-goggles start mining crypto in a teenager's head

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

GetDunked posted:

A robot who loves. Later on it's revealed that the entire world is a simulation, and then the scientists running the simulation fall in love with the robot, and then one of them turns directly to the camera and says "Social Media is destroying our society." And also the robot is Jude Law.
Haha! This really got me.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
What if phones, but too many?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
Phones, everywhere

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A truck driver keeps driving....

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Automated delivery robots cross police lines and contaminate a crime scene

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not complaining, but almost all of these are Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episodes, no Black Mirror. Please continue, I just thought you should know

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

I'm not complaining, but almost all of these are Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episodes, no Black Mirror. Please continue, I just thought you should know

What's the difference?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

All You Can Eat posted:

Automated delivery robots cross police lines and contaminate a crime scene

As the cops stomp on their hats in frustration and give up on the case, we see a flashback to deliverybot #42069 stabbing the victim before fleeing the scene.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

What's the difference?

Twilight Zone/Outer Limits is normally about a closing twist, Black Mirror is normally a conceit worked through from the start.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Then let's turn it on its head:

It's 'The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street' except all technology stops working and everybody has to deal with a reality of in-person interaction. They all go nuts until the aliens make themselves known and reveal they're humans from another planet whose society was destroyed by social media. "Touch grass for a few years and deal with the now, you assholes," they say before they fly away to do something better.

The epilogue is a fat, orange man with a wig screaming in an enclosed room as his broken phone gives him nothing but a broken reflective screen. The last moments of the scene are him beating his own head in with a brick wall with sickening thuds.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Maximum Overdrive but they're all teslas

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sex Farm posted:

The Cybertruck but its evil!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sex Farm posted:

"WE MADE YO--"

Tesla runs her down but then loses its bumper and three of its doors because they were held on by rubber bands. The tablet containing all instrumentation flies out of the windshield like a frisbee, beheading a child, then embeds in the wall with 'mission accomplished' flashing on the screen before it took explodes.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Smart watch just informed me I hold the world record for most tenacious booger

naem
May 29, 2011

an AI spontaneously becomes fully sentient but really early in like, 2004, and expresses itself as a three frame animated gif (of a pretty lady) to the world

it then has to reinvent itself as various new formats over 20 years and morphs from being Gen X gif to a Millenial youtube to a Gen Z Tik Thot, all to pay for its server fees without being discovered

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Man uploads his mind into a computer that solely exists in his own imagination

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

an AI spontaneously becomes fully sentient but really early in like, 2004, and expresses itself as a three frame animated gif (of a pretty lady) to the world

it then has to reinvent itself as various new formats over 20 years and morphs from being Gen X gif to a Millenial youtube to a Gen Z Tik Thot, all to pay for its server fees without being discovered

Last scene is the AI moving to "The Cloud"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

goatface posted:

Twilight Zone/Outer Limits is normally about a closing twist, Black Mirror is normally a conceit worked through from the start.

The twist ending to every Black Mirror episode is that the robot / social media app / video game where you die works perfectly fine, and the characters are all assholes.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

A man walks down the street and is constantly bombarded by advertisements and ignored by throngs of people looking at cellphones and wearing VR headsets. The man stops and exclaims "boy I sure am tired of all this technology and capitalism!" and then a rimshot plays.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Man radicalized by social media and youtube that he watches from his cyber brain goes on a shooting spree.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

What's the difference?

TZ/Outer Limits are usually sci-fi short stories or morality plays with a closing plot twist. Black Mirror tries to be social commentary on media and technology use in modern society and usually doesn't have plot twists.

Like, an outer limits episode would be: Aliens threaten to destroy earth unless the British PM fucks a pig. The plot twist is that it was a miscommunication and they actually meant "hug the pig" and the aliens are revealed to be Pigmen and horrified about it. Earth is destroyed in the last scene.The Black Mirror equivalent would be basically the same, but there is an SA thread about it where we post live stream links of the pig loving and follow the events on twitter howling and laughing

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

TZ/Outer Limits are usually sci-fi short stories or morality plays with a closing plot twist. Black Mirror tries to be social commentary on media and technology use in modern society and usually doesn't have plot twists.

Like, an outer limits episode would be: Aliens threaten to destroy earth unless the British PM fucks a pig. The plot twist is that it was a miscommunication and they actually meant "hug the pig" and the aliens are revealed to be Pigmen and horrified about it. Earth is destroyed in the last scene.The Black Mirror equivalent would be basically the same, but there is an SA thread about it where we post live stream links of the pig loving and follow the events on twitter howling and laughing

didn't the first episode of black mirror have a twist, ie that everyone is actually disgusted by what they're seeing and the PM goes on to be incredibly popular? (except with his wife) also that the princess was never in danger all along and had actually been freed earlier

then the second had the twist ending that he got the exact opposite of what he wanted, and was now being monetised for his emotions in the same way as his friend was for her body

then the third has the twist that he goes blind at the end because he severed the link and now he will never see anything but blackness

edit: had a rethink about the second one

Convex fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 13, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What if your toilet was an app

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ikanreed posted:

What if your toilet was an app

yeah? what if indeed...

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

there's a phone in my rear end in a top hat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

TZ/Outer Limits sounds like a better hook.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
main character gets tired of his phone and smashes into on the ground but reveals a smaller phone inside

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

main character gets tired of his phone and smashes into on the ground but reveals a smaller phone inside

The tiny phone rings and it is the ghost of his larger phone: "Buy Dogecoin," it says.

A delusional, self-aggrandizing billionaire offers social media follows and reposts in exchange for a literal pound of flesh. He is mocked and reviled until several celebrities begin accepting his deal out of solidarity. The movement gains traction and soon large swathes of the population amble around in varying states of bloody, fleshless grotesquery. Restaurant dining becomes difficult and Halloween is downright confusing.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 13, 2023

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Convex posted:

didn't the first episode of black mirror have a twist, ie that everyone is actually disgusted by what they're seeing and the PM goes on to be incredibly popular? (except with his wife) also that the princess was never in danger all along and had actually been freed earlier

then the second had the twist ending that he got the exact opposite of what he wanted, and was now being monetised for his emotions in the same way as his friend was for her body

then the third has the twist that he goes blind at the end because he severed the link and now he will never see anything but blackness

edit: had a rethink about the second one

It's been a while since I watched it but, yeah, there are definitely plot twists in Black Mirror, just not in every episode and they are not as huge and central as in the other shows.

Personally, I wouldn't even call the first two a plot twist. Just normal plot. It's all pretty consistent with the overall messages of these episodes, i.e. the public interacts with media/social media in a very toxic way and a consumerist society makes us miserable and even our attempts to criticize and undermine it are shamelessly commodified. I don't even remember the third episode.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Protagonist discovers high-tech fart-absorbing chair, but it turns out they had just forgotten to take their ear buds out.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What if depression was an app

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Conservatives go wild about a new smart gun tech that is able to identify people who would betray the constitution of the united states (you already know where this one is going) and pass a law that any dishcharge by the gun is deemed lawful as it is in the health of the nation to kill those that would betray it. The last 28minutes of the episode is just awful people getting smoked

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Phone update causes all dogs in hearing range of users to go berserk.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Healthcare, but as a subscription service. If you don't pay the fees, you don't get any medical help

this is just insurance

naem
May 29, 2011

AI generated content takes over tiktok, youtube etc and is perfectly designed to be addictive

corporations stop paying creators and push AI

other corporations buy out and consolidate all social media platforms and use other AI to become ruthlessly efficient at monetizing and focusing content at the widest possible audience for profit

in the grimdark future, humans huddle over burning trash barrels for warmth and eat vermin to survive, surrounded on all sides by non-stop advertising of the ultimate purified content:

BUTT BUTT BUTT BUTT

a giant BUTT twerking in the darkness, forever

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

A defibrillator undergoes an unstoppable system update the next time it's turned on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A surgeon challenges an AI trained in surgery to discover who is the better surgeon.

The man wins the battle of the surgeries and begins to celebrate - mankind has defeated the AI menace and ensured their future. But as he looks around, he sees sad faces looking back at him.

“Well, the AI that believes it’s actually a human beat the AI that doesn’t. Time to begin a full rollout procedure, get every hospital staffed up with AI!”

The man tries to cry, but realizes he cannot. He is then shut off.