Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

"Point toward enemy"

rear end towards enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
The greatest generation were a pack of drunken wifebeating child molesters.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

Carlos Lantana posted:

The greatest generation were a pack of drunken wifebeating child molesters.

just as many as this generation, but they did annoy Hitler enough so he would kill himself

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Get this: extra charges for long distance phone calls.

The Elite Crew here may even remember a time when you couldn’t buy a phone, you had to rent them from the phone company.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We didn't really have any novel designer drugs or research chemicals back then, so we just did a shitton of heroin, lsd, mushrooms, weed, cocaine, molly, ketamine and amphetamines and that's all we really had. Sometimes you couldn't even get those.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Get this: extra charges for long distance phone calls.

The Elite Crew here may even remember a time when you couldn’t buy a phone, you had to rent them from the phone company.

and collect calls.
Ihadabayitsaboy

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

the Internet was better because the only social media was livejournal and forums

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

Silhouette posted:

the Internet was better because the only social media was livejournal and forums

or it was AOL and nothing else.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Silhouette posted:

GenX had the summer vacation of internet when the colleges let out and nobody but the learned used the internet for BBS, MUDs and newsgroups (I was of the ruiner-class that came after)

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

GABA ghoul posted:

We didn't really have any novel designer drugs or research chemicals back then, so we just did a shitton of heroin, lsd, mushrooms, weed, cocaine, molly, ketamine and amphetamines and that's all we really had. Sometimes you couldn't even get those.

We didnt get shittons till the 90s
80s drugs were adulterated disappointments,70s drugs moreso.
There were also numerous and powerful squares who would destroy you on principle. Entire industries. For weed, for simple possession.
It's like the whole world was Texas.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost
I am honestly still confused about whether I'm a Gen-xer or a Millennial

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

multiplayer gaming was like you'd call up a friend and set up a time to play some doom deathmatch and get it set up and going and then five minutes in you get kicked off because your brother picked up the phone to make a call

Silhouette posted:

and IRC!

i used to be a "builder" for a few MUDS. just writing basic room and item descriptions. it was tedious but also sort of relaxing, i kind of miss it.

also livejournal was founded in 1999. it like, just barely existed in the 20th century.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This may sound like an "Ok, Boomer" moment but hear me out.

TV was better when there were three networks (plus PBS.) Saturday morning cartoons, Monday Night Football being a real event, so many shows you wanted to watch you'd flip channels during commercials to catch a part of the other show you wanted to watch but couldn't because there was a show on you wanted to watch more on at the same time. Hiding at the top of the stairs to watch Johnny Carson's monologue at the beginning of the Tonight Show. Jacque Cousteau specials, the Dean Martin Roasts and old (and made for TV) movies. The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat introducing an hour of weird sports on Saturday afternoons. Go look in an old TV guide. It's true.

I almost feel like I need to apologize for the endless episodes of NCIS and reality TV on now. At least there's Youtube if you want to find something a little less mind numbing.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

A Microsoft Certified Professional cert got you six figures but you had to deal with forests and trusted relationships before search engines

Edit: you didnt have wireshark - you were hard up and skilled to the gills to troubleshoot a network (I only became competent in 2009 to do work like this - I'm not stealing valor)

My Dad Nintendo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 23, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

TV was better when there were three networks (plus PBS.) Saturday morning cartoons, Monday Night Football being a real event, so many shows you wanted to watch you'd flip channels during commercials to catch a part of the other show you wanted to watch but couldn't because there was a show on you wanted to watch more on at the same time. Hiding at the top of the stairs to watch Johnny Carson's monologue at the beginning of the Tonight Show. Jacque Cousteau specials, the Dean Martin Roasts and old (and made for TV) movies. The Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat introducing an hour of weird sports on Saturday afternoons. Go look in an old TV guide. It's true.

lol no. ive seen a lot of the stuff you mention and none of it is even a tiny bit close to as good as the era of tv that kicked off with shows like the sopranos, the wire, deadwood, etc. there are many things in media that have gotten worse since the 20th century but tv has improved dramatically. and streaming is a lot nicer than flipping channels.

also youtube has helped a lot. like if i want to watch weird sports or whatever else, there's no need to wait for it to be on one specific channel on saturday afternoon, i can simply watch a near infinite supply of videos of people doing weird sports all over the world on my phone any time i want.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 23, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

Darth Brooks posted:

This may sound like an "Ok, Boomer" moment but hear me out.

I almost feel like I need to apologize for the endless episodes of NCIS and reality TV on now. At least there's Youtube if you want to find something a little less mind numbing.

I was talking to my mom not that long ago and she told me that she never really liked Seinfeld or Friends. Had to watch it anyway, because that is all anyone was talking about on friday morning. The mono-culture is gone. Guess we have to grow up and deal with that

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
it was like this op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nF92mu8X0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOK6BpYX7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwwXrgvzIc4

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 23, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'll do you one better on the Hulkster, with a movie co-starring Sherman Hemsley and David Johansen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7CTLheaNc

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Pinnies everywhere.Cool ones with great art.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

I'll do you one better on the Hulkster, with a movie co-starring Sherman Hemsley

lol

also i forgot this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7gsUL9Xkk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

I'll do you one better on the Hulkster, with a movie co-starring Sherman Hemsley and David Johansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POYGZAIQl2o

The guy who plays Zeus literally has two lines in the whole movie, the rest is just grunting and yelling.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

I saw that one in a drive in movie theater. Double feature with Clueless

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Before David Attenborough there was Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.

Goons of a certain age now have Mutual's jingle playing in their head.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Presto posted:

All you Trekkie's and TV addicts
Don't mean to diss, don't mean to bring static
All you Klingon's in the fuckin' house
Grab your backstreet friend and get loud
Blowin' doors off hinges
I'll grab you with the pinchers
And no, I didn't retire
I'll snatch you up with the needle nose pliers

Like Mutual of Omaha got the ill boat
You've never seen before glidin' in the glades

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I saw that one in a drive in movie theater. Double feature with Clueless

the Mortal Kombat movie is still sick as gently caress to this day and it gave the director enough clout to make Event Horizon

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

Presto posted:

missed the boat on that one but I do remember Ghost Writer and Are You Being Served

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

the Mortal Kombat movie is still sick as gently caress to this day and it gave the director enough clout to make Event Horizon

I love Event Horizon.
Where we're going you won't need eyes

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

i wiggled out a loose tooth during that movie. then my little gang of pals decided it would be hilarious if one of them kicked me in the face while i spit said tooth out in the lobby—which it was but the theater staff didn’t seem to agree

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Doctor Who was great, it had proper wobbly sets and Daleks and the Doctor had a big floppy hat and a scarf, but it was surrounded by shows with people dancing in blackface and pop songs introduced by a man who hosed corpses in his spare time. A mixed bag.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Dick Fontaine posted:

i wiggled out a loose tooth during that movie. then my little gang of pals decided it would be hilarious if one of them kicked me in the face while i spit said tooth out in the lobby—which it was but the theater staff didn’t seem to agree

That's great - creative fuckers

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Nap Ghost

Unkempt posted:

Doctor Who was great, it had proper wobbly sets and Daleks and the Doctor had a big floppy hat and a scarf, but it was surrounded by shows with people dancing in blackface and pop songs introduced by a man who hosed corpses in his spare time. A mixed bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_62lUMlknaY

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Earwicker posted:

lol no. ive seen a lot of the stuff you mention and none of it is even a tiny bit close to as good as the era of tv that kicked off with shows like the sopranos, the wire, deadwood, etc. there are many things in media that have gotten worse since the 20th century but tv has improved dramatically. and streaming is a lot nicer than flipping channels.

also youtube has helped a lot. like if i want to watch weird sports or whatever else, there's no need to wait for it to be on one specific channel on saturday afternoon, i can simply watch a near infinite supply of videos of people doing weird sports all over the world on my phone any time i want.

There are higher highs now and it may also have been better to say Network TV was better than broadcast TV now. But at the same point you mentioned three programs. It used to be that every single night had something that would grab your attention. Just picking 1975 at random. The schedule got moved around a bit and I'm not listing everything, just some that still stand out.

Sunday The Wonderful World of Disney followed by The Six Million Dollar Man followed by Columbo or Kojak or the ABC Sunday night movie

Monday Monday Night Football or a movie on ABC or NBC. Before VCR's a movie being shown on TV might be your only chance to see it.

Tuesday Happy Days followed by Laverne & Shirley or Good Times followed by One Day at a Time.

Wednesday The Bionic Woman or Little House on the Prairie followed by Beretta or Sanford and Son & Chico and The Man followed by Starsky & Hutch

Thursday Barney Miller and What's Happening or The Waltons followed by The Streets of San Fransisco or Hawaii Five-O

Friday The Rockford Files, MASH

Saturday The Jeffersons or Emergency, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show and the Carol Burnett Show.

I do agree that streaming has changed the game and internet use has driven down viewer numbers fantastically. It's also true that you may consider every single show listed as dreck. Everybody has an opinion.

It's going to be interesting to see how Youtube erodes even streaming numbers more as people unaffiliated with any studio create content.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

If your music rewinding device wasn't working, you could use a pencil.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Darth Brooks posted:

There are higher highs now and it may also have been better to say Network TV was better than broadcast TV now. But at the same point you mentioned three programs. It used to be that every single night had something that would grab your attention. Just picking 1975 at random. The schedule got moved around a bit and I'm not listing everything, just some that still stand out.

Sunday The Wonderful World of Disney followed by The Six Million Dollar Man followed by Columbo or Kojak or the ABC Sunday night movie

Monday Monday Night Football or a movie on ABC or NBC. Before VCR's a movie being shown on TV might be your only chance to see it.

Tuesday Happy Days followed by Laverne & Shirley or Good Times followed by One Day at a Time.

Wednesday The Bionic Woman or Little House on the Prairie followed by Beretta or Sanford and Son & Chico and The Man followed by Starsky & Hutch

Thursday Barney Miller and What's Happening or The Waltons followed by The Streets of San Fransisco or Hawaii Five-O

Friday The Rockford Files, MASH

Saturday The Jeffersons or Emergency, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show and the Carol Burnett Show.

I do agree that streaming has changed the game and internet use has driven down viewer numbers fantastically. It's also true that you may consider every single show listed as dreck. Everybody has an opinion.

It's going to be interesting to see how Youtube erodes even streaming numbers more as people unaffiliated with any studio create content.

Does Columbo leaves the room, them comes back in for one more question....

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Does Columbo leaves the room, them comes back in for one more question....

Columbo very clearly had memory issues, possibly onset dementia.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Rows of houses that are all the same
And no one seems to care

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Columbo very clearly had memory issues, possibly onset dementia.

He could still solve a case!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Testikles posted:

If you scheduled a date you had to arrive at the right time and place. You couldn't text to say you were running late, after a certain point you had to trust you'd arrive. If you didn't, you had no idea why and the whole thing could fall apart.

So you're saying nothing has changed?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

He could still solve a case!

His evidence submitting was poor and most were let off, if they were ever actually guilty in the first place.

I think most just went along with it because they felt sorry for him. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

His evidence submitting was poor and most were let off, if they were ever actually guilty in the first place.

I think most just went along with it because they felt sorry for him. :(

I will not stand for this Columbo slander lol.