Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

I will not stand for this Columbo slander lol.

Just one more thing, Angela Lansbury rules, Columbo drools!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

You see, I can also say Angela Lansbury rules. And Columbo! It's not a zero sum game!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Ever think about the logistics of Murder, She Wrote? That small town was the most dangerous place on Earth

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Ever think about the logistics of Murder, She Wrote? That small town was the most dangerous place on Earth

Was it in Maine? If so, makes sense.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Gambling in 7th grade on n64 mario kart. Kevin knew he needed the ?blocks to compete

Toad crew we did it efficient

My Dad Nintendo fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 24, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Was it in Maine? If so, makes sense.

oh, hell I didn't even think of that. It was taking place around the same time as all those Steven King novels. Dear god, do not go to Maine in the late 20th century

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

oh, hell I didn't even think of that. It was taking place around the same time as all those Steven King novels. Dear god, do not go to Maine in the late 20th century

Maine was made to train the faithful.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Maine was made to train the faithful.

They all float down here

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

You see, I can also say Angela Lansbury rules. And Columbo! It's not a zero sum game!

I think you'll find that in detective work it is. There is by law only one good detective in the world at any one time.

That's why there's so much crime about.

And yeah Maine back in the day, well it was a wild place, a place you didn't live in, just temporary survival. There was talk of just cordoning the whole thing off Escape from New york style. Alas stupider heads prevailed.

drat Regan.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Your parents had no clue where the hell you were once you left the house and I don't think they cared

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I say we just give Maine back to Canada. We can lobster from Boston

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What makes you think they'd want it back. They have enough trouble defending against feral Alaskans on their western boarder and the occasional viking hordes on their eastern.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Born in 1977, Ireland.
My grandmothers place was so rural it only got toilets in the 80s. We pissed and poo poo in the cow shed.
Every summer, one wall of her house would be covered in butterfly pupas.
If we were up at the right time, there would be dozens of them opening at once, all white, was amazing.
Nowadays you are lucky to see just one of them a summer.

There were insects everywhere.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What if instead Maine absorbed all of Atlantic Canada?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

What makes you think they'd want it back. They have enough trouble defending against feral Alaskans on their western boarder and the occasional viking hordes on their eastern.

thought they wanted it, Had no idea that viking were still a thing and even less of one that Alaskans made it that far

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Born in 1977, Ireland.
My grandmothers place was so rural it only got toilets in the 80s. We pissed and poo poo in the cow shed.
Every summer, one wall of her house would be covered in butterfly pupas.
If we were up at the right time, there would be dozens of them opening at once, all white, was amazing.
Nowadays you are lucky to see just one of them a summer.

There were insects everywhere.

What the gently caress? Ireland has toilets?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

What the gently caress? Ireland has toilets?

In Dublin!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

thought they wanted it, Had no idea that viking were still a thing and even less of one that Alaskans made it that far

They never really stopped. You give a Swede a wooden boat and they go out pillaging.

What are you gonna do. :shrug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

They never really stopped. You give a Swede a wooden boat and they go out pillaging.

What are you gonna do. :shrug:

What do they pillage from Maine, tho?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Oh gosh I don't know maybe we'll sail up the Potomac.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Monster hides and lobsters obviously.

What else is there?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Monster hides and lobsters obviously.

What else is there?

but they have all those back in Denmark. It just doesn't seem like a sound idea

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Triangles and squiggles were thrown up everywhere, and they're still mopping up the mess from random chains.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

but they have all those back in Denmark. It just doesn't seem like a sound idea

But Maine lobsters and monsters plead for life in Maine accents when you boil them alive.

Not my thing, but some people think that's worth paying more for.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

But Maine lobsters and monsters plead for life in Maine accents when you boil them alive.

Not my thing, but some people think that's worth paying more for.

The terror makes them taste better.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I wanted to make a simpsons joke but somehow got to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pp-X3_ZQT0

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
> did you use a "telephone" to "call" people?

yes

> did watch a "television"?

yes

> when you first saw a computer, did the blinking lights and strange noises scare you?

no

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

no, it does the complete opposite of that. you wanna chill them out with some aqui-s or something if you want a better tasting sea bug

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
For one thing, there was less narcissism, because people didn't feel the need to film themselves and post it online 24/7. They didn't carry cell phones so they only talked on the phone when they were at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTsw--3X5g4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN4ATDfCYmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZVZVMIG7g
(While the song in the video is an 80's song, the people at the club would have likely never heard of it or the French band playing it, it looks like it was probably a "new wave night" at the Ohio dance club where it was filmed in 1986... yes, dance clubs in the 1980's had "punk/new wave night", and it was usually on a weekday as the weekends were reserved for larger crowds, but sometimes it might be on a Friday if it attracted enough people.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bula Vinaka posted:

> when you first saw a computer, did the blinking lights and strange noises scare you?
no

To be fair computers started up in the 80's with a whirring sound roughly equivalent to the sound of a jet taking off today. Also pretty sure the in built pc speakers beeps could be heard from several houses over. What the noises it could make lacked in variety they made up for in volume.

This is why when you see photos of people using computers before 2001 they are normally wearing industrial safety ear muffs.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

no, it does the complete opposite of that. you wanna chill them out with some aqui-s or something if you want a better tasting sea bug

he was just making a joke. you didn't have to bring science and knowledge into it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

he was just making a joke. you didn't have to bring science and knowledge into it

I legit love science and knowledge.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

loving nerd
:wink:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Also, check out the Vampire Robot channel on YouTube, it appears to be from a camera man who shot a lot of B-roll from the 1970's and onwards for news stations, and has the rights to post it on his YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVKCvnj4zI

Only a news guy shooting B-roll would have this sort of thing, as stores were (and still are) absolutely notorious for throwing out anyone attempting to film inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsebX5Gd2Ao

News guy shooting B-Roll, 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96wWKzkp4s

Normie customer shooting, managed to record about 1 minute before being asked to leave.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Didn't you learn anything from books!

Science and knowledge will only ever lead to everyone you love being killed by a science monster.

Sometimes I feel like the 20th century forgot all the lessons hard learnt by the 19th century. :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Science and knowledge will only ever lead to everyone you love being killed by a science monster.

Sometimes I feel like the 20th century forgot all the lessons hard learnt by the 19th century. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxSIX3fmmo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

We'll have to pass through The Great Filter

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Apparently you could just kill people and there were no laws? hosed up if you ask me

I dunno that's just what I saw on Boardwalk Empire

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.
Early seventies, I was 10. My dad would send me down to the grocery store with a note and a fiver to buy him a carton of cigs.

They’d actually sell them to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

Apparently you could just kill people and there were no laws? hosed up if you ask me

I dunno that's just what I saw on Boardwalk Empire

Atlantic City has never reflected kindly on the general populous