Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

holy hell that permaban

Driven insane by an intense love for scryed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

For a small sample;

The old man antagonist, Martin Zigmar or however that was spelled reveals that, actually, that was all a lie and actually he's...

And also remember that weird living alter crystal guy? That's actually his alter.

I stole these images from a wiki because I'm lazy, but poo poo gets weird. Real weird.

Also of note, the manga's take on watermelon guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

birdie wing has some scryed references which was really funny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think that is the straw that will finally make me watch that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

birdie wing is a love letter to forgotten early 2000s anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
madlax, of all things.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So this is like an author reading Jojo and going "I could do that".

I remember Scryed from my days watching anime dvds where it was sometimes advertised. I never saw it though.

Other anime I remember from advertising that i never watched: Zone of the Enders, some show about the wild west where a spiky haired kid shoot a pterodactyl, Betterman, SoulTaker, uh.... thats all I remember.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nuebot posted:

For a small sample;

The old man antagonist, Martin Zigmar or however that was spelled reveals that, actually, that was all a lie and actually he's...

And also remember that weird living alter crystal guy? That's actually his alter.

I stole these images from a wiki because I'm lazy, but poo poo gets weird. Real weird.

Not more than a few panels after that, Zigmar tells Ryuho that Ryuho's mom wasn't killed in some freak accident with an Alter - instead, Zigmar convinced her to abandon Ryuho and fake her death. Oh, he also mentions that she was a MILF and he totally did her. The manga is absolutely crazy and actually finishes off the story with a complete time-travel loop.

And that's to say nothing of the Super HOLY Alters, who have the most basic-rear end Alters but are so hideously over-tuned that they loop around to being completely overpowered. Kazuma's actual brother (Cougar becomes a surrogate older brother in the manga) has an Alter that's just... a magnifying glass. There's a titty monster whose Alter is a radio. And there's a dude who's basically the distillation of every 'training' eroge character that just applies 'knowledge' to destroy his opponent's willpower/turn Scheris into an S&M puppet (Yes, that is A Thing that happens and it is just as skeevy as you think it is).

(He's pretty drat stupid though. He keeps shouting 'Viva Knowledge!' to use his Alter but doesn't even know that Viva is Italian and Knowledge is English. Which is exactly what Ryuho tells him off with before sending him into the shadow realm.)

Anyways, manga aside I love the anime to death and:

Super Jay Mann posted:

This anime gets my eternal respect for ending the main story 2 episodes early so we could spend the remainder focusing on what everyone REALLY wanted to see, Kazuma and Ryuho beating the crap out of each other.

Also Kazuma definitely won.

This is absolutely correct. It's amazing that they never dropped Kazuma's relentless desire to make Ryuho eat dirt as being his entire motivation for becoming powerful enough to punch holes through the planet, and they allowed that conclusion to breathe for a solid two episodes after they showed the big bad how much of a jobber he actually was.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 24, 2023

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Ccs posted:

So this is like an author reading Jojo and going "I could do that".

I remember Scryed from my days watching anime dvds where it was sometimes advertised. I never saw it though.

Other anime I remember from advertising that i never watched: Zone of the Enders, some show about the wild west where a spiky haired kid shoot a pterodactyl, Betterman, SoulTaker, uh.... thats all I remember.

Wild Arms TV. A reader of Newtype USA, I take it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

This anime gets my eternal respect for ending the main story 2 episodes early so we could spend the remainder focusing on what everyone REALLY wanted to see, Kazuma and Ryuho beating the crap out of each other.

Also Kazuma definitely won.
I don't remember a lot of the show. But two rivals beating the poo poo out of each other in a desert after losing their powers is forever seared into my memories.

Good soup! posted:

Crest of the Stars was on TechTV and I'm still stunned they ever bothered putting it on TV because the English dub is one of those things that is so bad I wondered how it even got made
I was going to say the dub wasn't that bad. Then I popped one of my DVDs in and yeah. It's absolutely garbage-tier

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

S-cry-ed is also the first anime that made me realize that subtitles were a real thing and I should definitely try to appreciate the original Japanese VAs more. One of the bonus features on the DVD included dramatic readings of manga chapters by the VAs for Ryuho and Kazuma which was not dubbed.

Although I appreciated Steve Blum's work on the dub, Ryuho's dub actor (Jason Spisak)... Let's be real here. There's no way his whiny, nasally voice holds a candle to Ryuho's original VA, Hikaru Midorikawa.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

This is absolutely correct. It's amazing that they never dropped Kazuma's relentless desire to make Ryuho eat dirt as being his entire motivation for becoming powerful enough to punch holes through the planet, and they allowed that conclusion to breathe for a solid two episodes after they showed the big bad how much of a jobber he actually was.

One of my favorite things is the two of them get to fightin and all the major characters who are still standing and have already had their "where are they now?" moments are just off in the distance doing watching it happen while doing their own thing and are all just like "oh cool, I guess they're doing this now :v: " as if it were the most natural thing in the world. Like patrons watching a game in a sports bar, it just owns so much :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

I was going to say the dub wasn't that bad. Then I popped one of my DVDs in and yeah. It's absolutely garbage-tier

It's baffling how it's so legitimately terrible, not even in a So Bad It's Good way. I'm assuming it was some part of how they were able to release it in the first place?? "Oh we are required to produce a dub, but gently caress it, no one will watch it anyway, just get whoever you know into a recording booth"