Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

MuadDib Atreides posted:

have an appointment set up but wondering about if anyone on SA has experience with depression drugs. A long shot to be sure

just quoting in appreciation

as for me i've been on prozac for six months and it's been very nice having all the life draining thoughts suddenly become boring. i cannot even give a poo poo because i'm actually having a good time. haven't had a drop of booze since january either. bumpin up the dose to 40mg a day next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

20 Blunts posted:

Sometimes I wonder if weed bad

username/post

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'm on mirtazapine OP and it's been pretty good for me, apart from a bit of weight gain. i'm hungry all the fuckin time i swear to god.

i tried sertraline and citalopram before this one and they both sucked. one made me more depressed and the other one killed my sex drive.

names might be different for the USA i dunno

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

oh yeah weed too but i know you ain't 'bout that

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

oh yeah weed too but i know you ain't 'bout that

Does the NHS give adderall or is it a fail land

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
How about modanafil?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Does the NHS give adderall or is it a fail land

it's called something else here, but in scotland at least all prescriptions are completely free unlike for the english who have to pay like £10 or something.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

it's called something else here, but in scotland at least all prescriptions are completely free unlike for the english who have to pay like £10 or something.

But do they like basically never give it?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Modanafil? thoughts? opinions? in combo with adderall? experiences?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

apparently the usa calls my medication remeron and it would cost $209 for a months supply

lol how does anyone get by in that terrible place

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

MuadDib Atreides posted:

But do they like basically never give it?

no idea i'm afraid, i've never had a need for it. but if the dr thinks you need something they'll give you a prescription for it

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

DemonDarkhorse posted:

just started buproprion pre-menstrual, so i dont feel like bursting into tears at random for the ~week before my period. normal regimen of venlafaxine+buspiron doesnt have an effect on horniness, but adding buproprion absolutely murdered my libido.

i have anxiety and they tried lexapro on me first and it made me feel like I was having a horrible trip on acid, but also made me feel like an empty shell devoid of emotions besides "AHHH", i almost never tried anything again after that it was so bad

buspar is chill, i still feel like me, and it keeps my brain from "circling the drain" but the grapefruit restriction sucks because I swear every citrus/tropical IPA adds grapefruit

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

20 Blunts posted:

Sometimes I wonder if weed bad

For depression? Prolly ain’t good! It does help me forget what a loser I am and focus on GTAV, though. So who can say!?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Modanifil in compbo with adderall? win or fail?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i know someone who was on wellbutrin for a while and went off it because the side effects weren't worth the small amount of help it provided. also it was a constant battle with insurance getting it covered because it cost hundreds per month and they would just randomly reject it.

i think with antidepressants you just have to try a bunch and find one that helps you while also not causing too many unwanted effects, because it's different for everyone. and just hope that none of the side effects become permanent even when you stop taking it.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Wellbutrin is generic now and doesn't have a problem with insurance.... However now im speculating on Modanafil aka Provigil......

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Just smoke DMT in the Walmart parking lot. Who gives a gently caress

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Sertraline did weird things to my sex drive that bupropion didn’t but god drat did sertraline make me feel bulletproof.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

drat everyone is on meds.

I guess that explains a lot.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

try ketamine op, it's actually promising and it worked better than any antidepressant for the person i mentioned above

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

try ketamine op, it's actually promising and it worked better than any antidepressant for the person i mentioned above

How does ketamine work for depression. Do you like take it every day? obviously that will make you feel good to take a freaking anesthesia for the win every day? I thought they like infuse you with it in an effort to break your brain during therapy and rebuild it better so you only get ketamine like a couple times then you're fixed????

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Too much weed'll make ya puke

Take a break and have some Zoloft

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

anyone have any experience with using magic mushrooms to treat depression? microdosing or otherwise? been thinking about it a bit lately

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saalkin posted:

drat everyone is on meds.

I guess that explains a lot.

You're unmedicated? That explains a lot

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Have you considered behavioral interventions or psychotherapy OP?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MuadDib Atreides posted:

How does ketamine work for depression. Do you like take it every day? obviously that will make you feel good to take a freaking anesthesia for the win every day? I thought they like infuse you with it in an effort to break your brain during therapy and rebuild it better so you only get ketamine like a couple times then you're fixed????

it's not an every day thing. i think it was like a month or two of weekly sessions in a clinic where they give it through an IV, and then after that you can schedule them as-needed. the person i know gets it maybe 3 times per year, something like that, it's not often. (i know because i volunteer to drop them off and pick them up since they can't drive afterward)

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

anyone have any experience with using magic mushrooms to treat depression? microdosing or otherwise? been thinking about it a bit lately

I had depression pretty bad in my early 20s and took Ayahusca. It helped a bit. In perspective, drugs can help, but you need to do in the spiritual work as well.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

it's not an every day thing. i think it was like a month or two of weekly sessions in a clinic where they give it through an IV, and then after that you can schedule them as-needed. the person i know gets it maybe 3 times per year, something like that, it's not often. (i know because i volunteer to drop them off and pick them up since they can't drive afterward)

Lmao thinking that I would be booking PRETTY regularly for freaking IV anesthesia "therapy" as needed OP

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

If you're serious there's options but fr do not self medicate get a therapist

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Lmao thinking that I would be booking PRETTY regularly for freaking IV anesthesia "therapy" as needed OP

all i know is that it helped someone i know personally, and the turnaround was fast and lasting (for several years now, they started the therapy before the pandemic) after over a decade of struggling with depression and a ton of different prescribed antidepressants

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I think Wellbutrin sucks, doctors prescribe it like crazy because there are low side effects. Adderall always works but it will burn you out pretty quickly. Monafadil might not do much (but easier to tolerate than adderall). If you want an anti-depressant, usually the doctor makes you try a bunch of them over a couple years; and find one that works best for you personally. Cymbalta works great for me.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hairy Right Hook posted:

If you're serious there's options but fr do not self medicate get a therapist

i am serious but i do have a therapist. the therapy hasn't done much for me tbh, i think my issues are all brain chemical poo poo and not from life experiences or anything. might just have a poo poo therapist though, who knows.

the mirtazapine helps take the edge off my anxiety and let's me sleep well enough that i can get out of bed every day now at least but i'm always looking for new options.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

i'm on mirtazapine OP and it's been pretty good for me, apart from a bit of weight gain. i'm hungry all the fuckin time i swear to god
It's used as an appetite stimulant in cats and dogs, so this checks out.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Slugworth posted:

It's used as an appetite stimulant in cats and dogs, so this checks out.

i just googled this and lmao it's true. i'm a fat cat babee

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
need modanafil/provigil opinions folks

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
surprised no one in this thread has brought up guided psychotherapy (lsd, mdma, psilocybin or mescaline)

e: actually I think ketamine can be used for this too

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm on an SSRI for OCD as well as HRT and I still gently caress like a god, so skill issue sorry folks :smug:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
if you want to sleep for 15 hours and eat everything you can get your hands on get on the quetiapine train folks. i had to stop taking it because it sucks rear end actually

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

MuadDib Atreides posted:

have an appointment set up but wondering about if anyone on SA has experience with depression drugs. A long shot to be sure

I've tried Wellbutrin, Effexor and about 4 or 5 various SSRIs. Lexapro has helped my anxiety a lil, but I'm a loving mess. I can't manage my life. Motivation is hard. Once I get past that, everything still feels like a dreadful chore(not just chores but stuff like practicing guitar and gaming, socializing with loved ones, etc). I rarely even feel good about doing it afterward because it's more like "that sucked, so if I fix my life, it'll just be full of doing these lovely things" I managed to workout consistently for a couple years. It made like maybe a 10% difference. I want to start again, but knowing it barely did poo poo, plus needing to organize and clean all my equipment is making it hard.

Doc and I think I likely have ADHD, which explains why the depression drugs haven't helped. Doc doesn't treat ADHD so I have to go through all the trouble of dealing with another doctor and hoping they aren't one of the lovely out of date doctors who will think ADHD is only for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My therapist veered hard into self help so she is completely interchangable with watching PBS Kids shows. I highly recommend Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood if you need to learn important mental health lessons like "before you do something new, let's talk about what it is you're going to do" while you're on meds.