Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Joseph Biden is the best president in the last 50 years

Who's with me??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ i think i've posted this before a couple times, but i believe that's true just because he ended one war and didn't start another, which i think means he's the best president in my lifetime

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
My therapist put me on welbutrin years ago. I felt like i was going to burn my house down to the ground.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

MuadDib Atreides posted:

need modanafil/provigil opinions folks

My brother was prescribed it, I dont think he noticed it doing anything. Google "modafinil experience reddit" will give you good info. It's prescribed like an adderall alternative with very little side effects. Adderall is not sustainable to take imho

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I've been taking anti-depressants for depression and anxiety for fifteen years. I can't remember all of the things I've tried, but the mixture I'm on right now and have generally used for the longest is Wellbutrin and Prozac. I'm functional enough in the real world but I can't really say I'm happy because everything's such a loving chore. Going off the meds and switching to other things has only made me feel worse and so I always end up back with this concoction. It's not ideal but my therapist and I can't really think of where to go next because we've tried so much in general in the last two years and still haven't found a solution.

And the libido issues suck.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've tried Wellbutrin, Effexor and about 4 or 5 various SSRIs. Lexapro has helped my anxiety a lil, but I'm a loving mess. I can't manage my life. Motivation is hard. Once I get past that, everything still feels like a dreadful chore(not just chores but stuff like practicing guitar and gaming, socializing with loved ones, etc). I rarely even feel good about doing it afterward because it's more like "that sucked, so if I fix my life, it'll just be full of doing these lovely things" I managed to workout consistently for a couple years. It made like maybe a 10% difference. I want to start again, but knowing it barely did poo poo, plus needing to organize and clean all my equipment is making it hard.

This post especially feels familiar to what it's like for me. It's hard to put into words, but it's just loving tiring.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Toxic Mental posted:

Who's with me??

Joe Biden

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

The Grimace posted:

I've been taking anti-depressants for depression and anxiety for fifteen years. I can't remember all of the things I've tried, but the mixture I'm on right now and have generally used for the longest is Wellbutrin and Prozac. I'm functional enough in the real world but I can't really say I'm happy because everything's such a loving chore. Going off the meds and switching to other things has only made me feel worse and so I always end up back with this concoction. It's not ideal but my therapist and I can't really think of where to go next because we've tried so much in general in the last two years and still haven't found a solution.

And the libido issues suck.

This post especially feels familiar to what it's like for me. It's hard to put into words, but it's just loving tiring.

same. i havent been "happy" in so long i don't think id know what itd feel like if i was. never had a problem with libido until the buproprion thankfully, but when i was on zoloft, i gained a poo poo ton of weight. the prescribing doctor never told me about that side effect. so now im heavy as hell with not a whole lot of motivation to change.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Toxic Mental posted:

Who's with me??
sure, if only because Reagan knocked the bar so far down and no one else has really raised it since

Bad Purchase posted:

^ i think i've posted this before a couple times, but i believe that's true just because he ended one war and didn't start another, which i think means he's the best president in my lifetime
oh yeah, basically this

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

zaepg posted:

Just smoke DMT in the Walmart parking lot. Who gives a gently caress

I was going to suggest taking a load of shrooms and telling your boss to go gently caress themselves but the op is probably American so that's out.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I mean it's still an option if you really dislike OP, but probably unkind to deliberately give bad advice

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
im depressed so I need to take meds

*lists paragraphs of symptoms from their current list of meds*

should i take more meds?

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

when’s the last time you exercised, op?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Try CBT op, the real CBT with the Balls

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol @ how many people on hella meds on this forum just don't go to a therapist

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

US insurance sucks op

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
My main hobby or passion or whatever is music I guess. I reckon I've impulsively spent about 10k dollars in straight up purchases or even sometimes pay over time (Affirm is a curse for a mentally ill person with decent credit), on several guitars, recording equipment ,etc. I loving love the idea of noodling around and just recording some of the riffs I come up with. A lot of people are making great sounding stuff with at home gear these days. I have all the stuff I need. I haven't written, recorded or mixed a single thing to show for it(I do have some half way songs transcribed out at least but thats it). I do get some sort of happiness out of just dicking around with my guitars I guess, but it's happiness more based on the idea of eventually doing all the cool recording and writing stuff. Which I won't do. Unless I start taking some of these adderall I've squirrelled away whenever people have given some to me. I'm going to take the adderall next weekend and record some music.

e: I would like to do therapy but it's another giant pain in the rear end. I work like 60 hours a week, so it would have to be scheduled around, then I think finding one who accepts insurance or insurance will pay for is a bitch like the last poster said. I know people say poo poo like this all the time, but I'm not 100% sold. I think therapy will help, but just only a little. I would try it tho if it can be worked out. Whenever I take my rear end to an ADHD doctor they will probably have some resources to check on

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 23, 2023

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
turns out it was OB who was lifted off the beans, all along...

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

MrQwerty posted:

white men are incapable of believing that they don't know best for themselves

my dad finally got on drugs to control his temper after fifty years but refuses to go to therapy so he's still a stupid boomer rear end in a top hat, he's just more calm about it

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Wellbutrin helped me in the beginning and then I was having panic attacks by the end. For my cognitive issues I take guanfacine ER and it works well enough and the side effects are actually enjoyable (i.e., I don't feel quite as hungry, sleep feels more restful). I also take lamictal, a mood stabilizer, for my depression mood problems and it helps my anxiety too. You won't want to take my other med though because it's an antipsychotic, since I was blessed with a psychotic disorder

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I go to therapy. Lol if you think it is definitive with a brain this unraveled.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://youtu.be/77ypidl0B4Y

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
"Go to therapy" is advice from someone who doesn't know anything about therapy, has never been to therapy, and has no actual advice to give

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lexapro helps me care less about things I should not care at all about.

The real problem is that I got endometriosis and my estrogen is so high that normal birth control makes me go loving bonkers. The progesterone injections just make me bleed for 3 months straight, not ideal.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Pontificating rear end posted:

"Go to therapy" is advice from someone who doesn't know anything about therapy, has never been to therapy, and has no actual advice to give

there are some people that desperately need therapy though and should be told that

but yeah I guess it's horrible advice to give without explaining why, especially when they're the types not amenable to therapy

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I mean.
Sometimes your brain chemistry just really is the problem. Not your dad.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Been there done that. It just makes you more edgy than usual and makes cocaine and smoking cigarettes way less fun.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Toxic Mental posted:

Who's with me??

Me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
When I was on Wellbutrin I didn’t sleep for the first two days and I was completely fine with that, it was real fuckin weird.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Das Boo posted:

I mean.
But your brain chemistry comes in part from your dad. Does that upset you? Let's talk about that resentment.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Wellbutrin + therapy and it’s been the best combo. Shame it took me getting a doctor who is a woman to finally have it re-prescribed to me here.

Past male doctors loving ignored “this is making me feel sadder because my sex drive is a mess”, “I’m sleeping all the time”, “I was prescribed this for years in the US, and I know it exists in Sweden, don’t loving lie to me”. I talked to my current doctor for five min and explained and she had absolutely ZERO hesitation in prescribing it to me and I felt that I was actually listened to. Somehow this is difficult for some.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Das Boo posted:

I mean.
The problem is neurochemistry and brain structure cannot be separated from how the brain is used. The brain is plastic and our internal and external activities play a huge role in how we think and feel. Everyone has room to improve on healthier habitual activities, avoidant or pleasure-seeking behavior, attitude towards distress, boredom, etc. because the modern world is extremely unhealthy for the human nervous system. Things don't physically change quickly in the brain and some stressors are intractable, so it can be very difficult to start seeing real changes.

People are not very different from chimpanzees in terms of CNS functioning, and higher order brain functions like complex desires or sense of self can obscure that. Addictive behavior and avoidance of the painful, unpleasant, and ego-dystonic are also extremely normalized. So even if someone has persistent problems with depression since childhood it isn't necessarily an immutable chemical imbalance. Although that can certainly be the case. Medication is helpful to me, but in my case there was far more complex stuff going on than simply modulating a brain chemical or talking about my dad, and I think that's typical.

Also most decent therapists don't want to accept their own limitations, so if they do talk therapy they focus on that instead of somatic stuff and so on. And most therapists are not that good at their jobs period.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dopamine? Blow a peen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I might be one of the better examples of Wellbutrin use; I've been taking it for about 8 months now, and my libido is through the roof, like I was 18 again. Also, while slow, I'm losing weight, as the temptation to binge eat or snack is almost entirely gone.

I'm still kind of a wreck because I'm like 100% unmotivated to do what I used to do, which was compose music, but ehhh... I'll get back into it someday I'm sure. I have a paying gig coming up soon and that's fine, I just have zero desire to make music for 'fun' or for myself.

I used to be on escitalopram and I hated how it killed my sex drive. I mean, I kind of hated it from a distance, looking at the bigger picture, because when you're on it, obviously, you don't feel like having sex, so.... you're not missing it. It's just that you also know that it's weird that you don't want that. It's like not liking a food that's good for you and everyone else likes. You want to like it, but you just don't.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of SSRIs for that reason and how they just kind of make me feel blank. Takes the depression away, sure... but also takes away any joy at the same time. Instead of hills and valleys of emotion, you're on a flat, albeit safe, plain.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I had bad luck with brain pills and good luck with ritualistic psychedelics (Ayahuasca) OP. You are more than your levels of neurotransmitters OP. Gotta keep ur soul in good shape imho.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Therapy is important with depression meds for a different reason than therapy advertises itself as because you need an accurate qualitative measure of how your brain doing so you can work with a doctor or psychiatrist in case your dick not working is making things worse. Some people can naturally self interrogate, some people need practice and figure it out with an initial course of therapy, and some people need the therapist along for the ride forever.

Depressive curious people reading the thread should also learn that episodic major depressive disorder is more common than chronic and remains under diagnosed because of the stigma of mental illness. A 6-12 month course of SSRI or SNRI can knock you out of a funk for several years so your broke dick doesn't always need to be permanent.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

kntfkr posted:

I had bad luck with brain pills and good luck with ritualistic psychedelics (Ayahuasca) OP. You are more than your levels of neurotransmitters OP. Gotta keep ur soul in good shape imho.

my soul had to die to so it could provide calories to my mental illness.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I think op should do shrooms and post during the trip

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think op should do shrooms and post during the trip

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted: