Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
Have you considered behavioral interventions or psychotherapy OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Das Boo posted:

I mean.
Sometimes your brain chemistry just really is the problem. Not your dad.
The problem is neurochemistry and brain structure cannot be separated from how the brain is used. The brain is plastic and our internal and external activities play a huge role in how we think and feel. Everyone has room to improve on healthier habitual activities, avoidant or pleasure-seeking behavior, attitude towards distress, boredom, etc. because the modern world is extremely unhealthy for the human nervous system. Things don't physically change quickly in the brain and some stressors are intractable, so it can be very difficult to start seeing real changes.

People are not very different from chimpanzees in terms of CNS functioning, and higher order brain functions like complex desires or sense of self can obscure that. Addictive behavior and avoidance of the painful, unpleasant, and ego-dystonic are also extremely normalized. So even if someone has persistent problems with depression since childhood it isn't necessarily an immutable chemical imbalance. Although that can certainly be the case. Medication is helpful to me, but in my case there was far more complex stuff going on than simply modulating a brain chemical or talking about my dad, and I think that's typical.

Also most decent therapists don't want to accept their own limitations, so if they do talk therapy they focus on that instead of somatic stuff and so on. And most therapists are not that good at their jobs period.