Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't read the books but in the show, there are 3 guys from castle black who go through the wall to do something with some wildlings. 2 of them get killed by the white walker/zombies and the third ends up around winterfell where he gets his head lopped off for being a deserter. Before that happens, he says he never went back to castle black.

So how did he get through the wall? If he was so terrified, wouldn't he go straight back to the castle? He's not going to spend days, with no supplies and no horse walking the length of the wall and then swimming around it or whatever.

It makes no sense. In the book does he go back to the castle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I read all the books, and watched all the shows, and I have no idea. Sorry OP.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't read the books but in the show, there are 3 guys from castle black who go through the wall to do something with some wildlings. 2 of them get killed by the white walker/zombies and the third ends up around winterfell where he gets his head lopped off for being a deserter. Before that happens, he says he never went back to castle black.

So how did he get through the wall? If he was so terrified, wouldn't he go straight back to the castle? He's not going to spend days, with no supplies and no horse walking the length of the wall and then swimming around it or whatever.

It makes no sense. In the book does he go back to the castle?

he had magical powers that Eddard Stark got when he cut his head off. So, I guess the headsman that doesn't have a tongue has them now.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Probably went through one of the other castles on the wall.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

No only Castle Black has a way through the wall. Ignore the other 14 or so fortresses on the wall.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

No only Castle Black has a way through the wall. Ignore the other 14 or so fortresses on the wall.

What about Shadow Tower and Eastwatch? :colbert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

What about Shadow Tower and Eastwatch? :colbert:

You know what happened to the last commander of Eastwatch?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sophy Wackles posted:

Even if this is doable, why would he do it when castle black was a short ways away from him?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Even if this is doable, why would he do it when castle black was a short ways away from him?

Because it was closer.
Look George Martin managed the Beatles then wrote these books. Neil Gaiman said he doesn't have to answer your questions

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He probably went back through castle black and then just kept running because he didn't wanna be near the wall

I dunno dude who cares, just enjoy it. Or don't, whatever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He farted

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
winter is a time not a place, OP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Isn't this the same series where on 15 year old becomes a king, another becomes the commander of the oldest thing in existence, an 8 year old becomes an assassin, and a 7 year old becomes a tree-god

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

winter is a time not a place, OP

Oh yeah?! Well how do you explain this!?

*Waves vaguely in the direction of pretty much every open world videogame*

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Isn't this the same series where on 15 year old becomes a king, another becomes the commander of the oldest thing in existence, an 8 year old becomes an assassin, and a 7 year old becomes a tree-god

In the books, they get older from book to book.

But GRRM is committed to letting that happen only in real time, and that's why the next one is taking so long.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Specifically he flew there on a ballistic trajectory, propelled by his farts. The TV show rejected this scene because it would have cost too much to do it justice.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Why are they called white walkers?

Because when you see one you do a 360 and walk away!!!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

, OP

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

In the books, they get older from book to book.

But GRRM is committed to letting that happen only in real time, and that's why the next one is taking so long.

they do not in the books. Armys move across continents, but Robb was only barely 16 for the red wedding. Martin has no idea how time or scale works. The Wall is 800 feet of ice? Ok buddy

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
George R. R. Fartin

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the white walkers were on the winterfell side of the wall, so the guy never had to cross it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The white walkers is what I call the audience

:stat: :wal:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Knowing grrs writing he sexual assault/incested his way there

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Send me to The Wall, I'll go willingly for a fair wage.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Crazypoops posted:

Knowing grrs writing he sexual assault/incested his way there

it's also possible they innocently enjoyed a great banquet on the way

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

it's also possible they innocently enjoyed a great banquet on the way

"Pigeon Pie"

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Terrified from his encounter behind the wall Sexevil Grimfucks traveled rapely to Winterfell

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
This question is answered in the book to be released after "The winds of winter".. which will start to be written as soon as the elderly obsess man finishes the current book thats been "worked on" for over ten years with no progress shown.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The :fart: of Winter

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Presumably he just went through Castle Black and then stole a horse and bailed?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ive somehow managed to avoid ever even seeing a scene from game of thrones. i don't even really know any spoilers. i was gonna get around to seeing it eventually but then when it was done everyone said the ending was mega shite.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
It's a method in fiction to disable your bullshit sense. In short they feed you, right off the bat, something that doesn't make sense and if you accept it with the excuse that it's fiction, you're set up to eat the even bigger turds they serve you later in the series.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

ive somehow managed to avoid ever even seeing a scene from game of thrones. i don't even really know any spoilers. i was gonna get around to seeing it eventually but then when it was done everyone said the ending was mega shite.

Several years back I watched almost the entirety of GOT in the space of a few months. Moving house, setting up internet, etc. I needed something to do for the month until college started so I bought the first four seasons on DVD and the next 3 on Prime. I have heard the stories about season 8 and I honestly don't think I am missing out by not watching it. Season 7 was getting pretty rocky anyway.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
*Me, staring at a bunch of weird ice elves with glowing blue eyes and the power to animate the dead*

I think the two most memorable qualities here is that they're white, and they can walk. That's what I'm gonna call these guys.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If he had been to winterfell before he had a fast travel marker on his map op

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The ending was good actually.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

The ending was good actually.

yes everyone was very happy with the ending of HBO's Game of Thrones

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

yes everyone was very happy with the ending of HBO's Game of Thrones

That’s what i’ve been saying. Everyone got what they deserved in the end.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

That’s what i’ve been saying. Everyone got what they deserved in the end.

especially Bran. He of all people earned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the first 3 or 4 seasons are decent as are the first three books or so, and then it loses focus and spirals badly

not missing that much if you give ‘em a pass though