Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

That’s what i’ve been saying. Everyone got what they deserved in the end.

As the Gods intend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

As the Gods intend!

The faceless, the old, or the 7? Maybe the red one?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Valko posted:

I have heard the stories about season 8 and I honestly don't think I am missing out by not watching it. Season 7 was getting pretty rocky anyway.

It might be because I was mixed on the "good" seasons, but I thought season 8 made the whole slog worth it.

It's like going to this big, beautiful Thanksgiving dinner that everyone's been looking forward to. Just as you sit down, the chef's brothers come in and drunkenly start an argument. Annoying, but you ignore it. Then they start angrily throwing food at each other. Everyone's yelling, but they're pretty big and no one stops them. Then they start breaking furniture. Everyone's screaming. You're kinda in denial now. Is this really happening? Then they grab scraps of wood and dishes and begin tearing at the walls, the floor, each other, not each other. You kinda wanna know how completely they can destroy it all, how far they can possibly go. Are they going to leave the electrical wiring in- oh nope, they're ripping it from the walls. They even tore the little hand turkey apart, and that was only important to Tim's mom. Is someone going to die? Is this going to end in murder? One of them, you're not sure which, appears to be holding a wet rag. You should probably leave, but you have to know if he intends to start cleaning this late in the game, or... is that for lighting?

In the end there is no longer a dining room. Whatever it is, it isn't a part of this house. To mention it brings tears, fury, fighting. Just close the remains of the doors between and deny we ever had a dining room.

And I'm the aunt who at every subsequent Thanksgiving is like, "Haha, they really got everything! :v:"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

It might be because I was mixed on the "good" seasons, but I thought season 8 made the whole slog worth it.

It's like going to this big, beautiful Thanksgiving dinner that everyone's been looking forward to. Just as you sit down, the chef's brothers come in and drunkenly start an argument. Annoying, but you ignore it. Then they start angrily throwing food at each other. Everyone's yelling, but they're pretty big and no one stops them. Then they start breaking furniture. Everyone's screaming. You're kinda in denial now. Is this really happening? Then they grab scraps of wood and dishes and begin tearing at the walls, the floor, each other, not each other. You kinda wanna know how completely they can destroy it all, how far they can possibly go. Are they going to leave the electrical wiring in- oh nope, they're ripping it from the walls. They even tore the little hand turkey apart, and that was only important to Tim's mom. Is someone going to die? Is this going to end in murder? One of them, you're not sure which, appears to be holding a wet rag. You should probably leave, but you have to know if he intends to start cleaning this late in the game, or... is that for lighting?

In the end there is no longer a dining room. Whatever it is, it isn't a part of this house. To mention it brings tears, fury, fighting. Just close the remains of the doors between and deny we ever had a dining room.

And I'm the aunt who at every subsequent Thanksgiving is like, "Haha, they really got everything! :v:"

how did you know how my thanksgivings went? Wasn't totally right, but most of that poo poo has happened before

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Das Boo posted:

It sounds like the ending to FANTASY MISSION FORCE. A Hong Kong comedy action film starring Jackie Chan that turns into a violent bloodbath at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFITuik_iUM&t=1101s

quote:

Nominally set during World War II, the film begins with a Japanese attack on an Allied military camp, which a map reveals to be somewhere in Canada. After four Allied Generals, including one who introduces himself as Abraham Lincoln, are taken hostage by the Japanese troops, Lieutenant Don Wen (Jimmy Wang Yu) is called in to organize a rescue effort (rejected candidates for the job include Roger Moore's James Bond, Snake Plissken, Rocky Balboa and Karl Maka's character from the Hong Kong film Aces Go Places).

The entire wikipedia plot description is worth a read.

You have convinced me. I will get around to season 8... eventually.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Das Boo posted:

No you were watching The Bear's Christmas episode

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

especially Bran. He of all people earned it

“Who has a better story than Bran the broken?”

Every character including the guys killed in the opening scene of episode one.

Imagine if the infinity saga ended in the same style as GoT, right as Cap goes toe to toe with Thanos MJ from Spider-Man pops up out of nowhere having snuck through his entire army and shanks him.

The end (General Ross is voted in as king)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Extra row of tits posted:

“Who has a better story than Bran the broken?”

Every character including the guys killed in the opening scene of episode one.

Imagine if the infinity saga ended in the same style as GoT, right as Cap goes toe to toe with Thanos MJ from Spider-Man pops up out of nowhere having snuck through his entire army and shanks him.

The end (General Ross is voted in as king)

Hbo literally said take as much time as you need. Money is no object. Instead of finishing the show or handing it off to someone who wanted the job, they just said gently caress it. who cares. Then they didn't even get the job with disney

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It’s going to be funny when GRRM writes the final books with a completely different ending and nerds get to argue about what is cannon for the next few decades.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

It’s going to be funny when GRRM writes the final books with a completely different ending and nerds get to argue about what is cannon for the next few decades.

that motherfucker is gonna die before he writes a new book

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
someone should hit him with a van. Give him the Steven King treatment

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

I'll take that bet.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that motherfucker is gonna die before he writes a new book

Yes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ned Stark executes the guy at Castle Black in both the book and show iirc so I don’t know why the guy in the show says he never went back to Castle Black. Looks like a missed early sign of the showrunners being morons.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

I haven't read the books but in the show, there are 3 guys from castle black who go through the wall to do something with some wildlings. 2 of them get killed by the white walker/zombies and the third ends up around winterfell where he gets his head lopped off for being a deserter. Before that happens, he says he never went back to castle black.

So how did he get through the wall? If he was so terrified, wouldn't he go straight back to the castle? He's not going to spend days, with no supplies and no horse walking the length of the wall and then swimming around it or whatever.

It makes no sense. In the book does he go back to the castle?

I don't know, probably elf magic or some poo poo. maybe he had a flying unicorn. that seems to be how these things usually go

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Ned Stark executes the guy at Castle Black in both the book and show iirc so I don’t know why the guy in the show says he never went back to Castle Black. Looks like a missed early sign of the showrunners being morons.

nope. Eddard executes that man off of the road well within his own territory in both the book and show. What made you think they were at Castle Black?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Give me the writing franchise. I will finish your series.

I'll hire that Sanderson guy, and maybe The Expanse team.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

nope. Eddard executes that man off of the road well within his own territory in both the book and show. What made you think they were at Castle Black?

I guess I just assumed it was at Castle Black since they traveled North from Winterfell to get to where the guy was being held? The deserter is strung up on a wall and Ned asks that he be pulled down so he can chop his head off. I assumed the courtyard or wherever they are when that happens was at Castle Black.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I guess I just assumed it was at Castle Black since they traveled North from Winterfell to get to where the guy was being held? The deserter is strung up on a wall and Ned asks that he be pulled down so he can chop his head off. I assumed the courtyard or wherever they are when that happens was at Castle Black.

they have maps in the books. Winterfell is in the center of the north and the wall is miles north of that

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they have maps in the books. Winterfell is in the center of the north and the wall is miles north of that

Yes I know. Ned, Bran, Jon, and Robb all traveled North from Winterfell to execute the deserter. Castle Black is north of Winterfell at the Wall. Since they were traveling north, and the deserter is being held at their destination, it’s not a stretch to assume their destination is Castle Black. After the execution they return south to Winterfell. The execution does not take place at Winterfell.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yes I know. Ned, Bran, Jon, and Robb all traveled North from Winterfell to execute the deserter. Castle Black is north of Winterfell at the Wall. Since they were traveling North, and the deserter is being held at their destination, it’s not a stretch to assume their destination is Castle Black. After the execution they return south to Winterfell. The execution does not take place at Winterfell.
I don't know where they went, to be fair, but the wall is supposed to be like a week's ride from winterfell. I don't think they went there just to cut a guy's head off. Maybe just a small outpost or something?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

I don't know where they went, to be fair, but the wall is supposed to be like a week's ride from winterfell. I don't think they went there just to cut a guy's head off. Maybe just a small outpost or something?

they definitely went there just to cut some guys head off. Bran and Jon have a whole conversation about it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Slugworth posted:

Possibly. I just skimmed an excerpt I found online and the trip back to Winterfell is just described as “long”. It’s been years since I actually read the book or watched that episode though so :shrug:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Possibly. I just skimmed an excerpt I found online and the trip back to Winterfell is just described as “long”. It’s been years since I actually read the book or watched that episode though so :shrug:

it doesn't matter. Gurm has no sense of time or scale

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

they definitely went there just to cut some guys head off. Bran and Jon have a whole conversation about it
No, I mean I don't think they travel all the way to the wall to cut his head off. They definitely go somewhere for the express purpose of removing that dude's head though.

I started googling stuff because goddamnit, I demand answers, and this topic has been talked about in many a reddit thread. Consensus is there's lots of places for individuals to sneak through/around the wall, and several characters do it throughout the books/show. So, he went through one of those places.

And the wiki says he was found near Winterfell. The Game Of Thrones wiki seems like it's run by some pretty smart folks, so I'm trusting them.

I think we're done here, folks.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 24, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it doesn't matter. Gurm has no sense of time or scale

It’s a week by horseback or like 30 seconds by dragonback

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

actually the whole story was a dream the kid had wehn he fall out of the tower, so it doesn't really matter.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
he got a ride from the eagles from the better nerd poo poo this ripped off

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

No, I mean I don't think they travel all the way to the wall to cut his head off. They definitely go somewhere for the express purpose of removing that dude's head though.

they could have tho. Ned had a very severe sense of duty

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

imagine being in a fuckin fantasy magic world and you get named "ned" lmao. owned.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Buce posted:

imagine being in a fuckin fantasy magic world and you get named "ned" lmao. owned.

to be fair his name was Eddard

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Imagine misspelling Edward.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Wait. Which one was winterfell?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't have to it was written down, in a book

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Ring ring hello is your winter felling? Then you bettwr go catch it!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

It was medieval times, so spelling wasn't invented yet. It's actually very realistic that they get all the names wrong.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Season 8 is like someone spent two days getting Thanksgiving dinner ready and then as everyone sits down, grandpa gets up on the table, drops his pants and just Daeneryses all over the turkey, the stuffing, the mashed potatoes and the ambrosia

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!!!

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

redshirt posted:

They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!!!

Can’t have hobbits anymore, Peter Dinklage says they’re racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Popping in only to say watch House of the Dragon because it’s actually real good