Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Let's face it - every gamer has had the experience of reading a great novel or watching a kick-butt action movie, and saying to themselves, "This would make a great game!" What are some pieces of media that you think would make a great video game? To kick it off:

24 (Television Show)

24 is the action/espionage show starring Keifer Sutherland as an agent for the counterterrorist unit of the U.S. government. One minute on the show equals one minute in real life, and an entire season is one 24 hour day. In those three seasons, agent Jack Bauer has stopped a presidential assassin, a nuclear terrorist, and a biological blackmailer -- all in one day!

Think about what a great gameplay idea that would be. You begin a game of 24 and you have exactly 24 hours in real-time to fend off some kind of terrorist attack. You can control any one of the show's main characters, but you can't stop the clock and you can't go back. If you start the game at 12 a.m. game time and save at 1:45 game time, that's it, the actions you've take are the ones you've taken and you've only got 24 hours to stop the bad guys. In order to avoid boredom, the game could have some type of a centralized control interface where you could track the progress of each of your agents in real-time as they follow the orders you're given them -- jumping in when you feel like they need your help, such as in the middle of a firefight

The Matrix:

If there was ever a film series made with video games in mind, it would have to be The Matrix. Heck, every aspect of the movie, from Neo's kung fu to the ability to fly to the spectacular car chases was a nerdy wish fulfillment plot in which the misunderstood hacker is the only one who can save the world.

Stargate SG-1(TV Show)

Stargate SG-1 follows the adventures of a special team of military commandos as they travel through the Stargate to different planets around the universe in search of weapons, technology, and allies to fend off a possible invasion of Earth by the Alien Go'a'uld. Stargate SG-1 is more than just an action show, though; it manages to sandwich plenty of allegory, human interest, and political maneuvering in between the flying ships and laser battles.

The rich setting of Stargate SG-1 would make an extraordinary setting for a game. I could definitely picture a tactical shooter along the lines of a Rainbow 6 in which you have to choose you SG team's loadout and plan strategic tactical strikes against various targets. Stargate SG-1 is loaded with stories that could be easily converted into exciting missions including hostage rescues, infiltration mission, planting explosive, sabotage, or even out-and-out firefights. Even better, though, might be an open-ended game along the lines of Deus Ex in which the player must negotiate his or her way through the Byzantine complexities of intergalactic politics in order to put together a coalition that can fight off the Go'a'uld.

Cowboy Bebop:

Cowboy Bebop is one of the most acclaimed anime series around -- particularly in the United States, where it has developed quite a vocal following. In fact, the story of Spike and Jet, futuristic bounty hunters who pursue scum across the solar system in the year 2071 is so popular, it's remarkable it hasn't been turned into a video game before now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I can't think of any. Sorry Wizard Master

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Bump

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Stars My Destination. The end of the book has: all of the important characters in the same bar to pitch their vision of what the protagonist should use their power/atomic bombs for. The main character listens to the robot bartender's idea. And if that isn't a video game rear end ending...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do you mean the comic, one of the songs, one of the movies, or one of the TV shows

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

a Beowulf beat 'em up or action game would kind of kick-rear end, though it'd be hard to make it come across differently from God of War I guess.

Back in the heyday of Telltale games, I would've loved an episodic Scooby Doo game. A medium-budget, narrative-driven Scooby Doo game could be fun in general honestly.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Bump

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Armor: basically EDF Also the missing link between Starship Troopers [the movie] and Live Die Repeat [the movie]

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Almost forgot: Sector General

A major conceit is that practicing physicians in a multi species hospital have to host the personalities of alien doctors. Particularly high ranking doctors host multiples of such tapes. Since the Disco Elysium chaps are, uh, not currently working on that franchise... It would be a great fit, you can get better at treating Kelgians... but you had better do all your prevaricating first.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ghost trick, but it's final destination so the puzzles are you as death possessing different objects to rube goldberg'd people to death

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i think they should make a Castlevania game, it would sell gangbusters

shame no one wants to make a game from that IP

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i want 24 the first person shooter you have to play for 24 hours straight to stop the terrorist attack

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Bump

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

The Mario Movie

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
thundercats any genre thx