Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

What the hell is this?

Harvestella is a 2022 farming sim/action RPG developed by Square Enix with the same team that works on Final Fantasy. It mixes a Final Fantasy-worthy gonzo fantasy plot with compelling characters, elaborate farm sim elements, and frankly excellent music.

Oh, that sounds nice. So why haven’t I heard of it?

It has a 74 on Metacritic and deserves it.

… How?

Harvestella is a baffling little creature. Its plot is amazing, a deep exploration of major philosophical themes driven organically by great characters, but you could be forgiven for missing that under deeply flawed writing and terrible pacing. The combat ties in elegantly with story progression and offers you a lot of neat options on the surface, but it’s simplistic in practice, badly explained, and too easy when it isn’t suddenly too hard. The farming seems interesting and extensive, until you find out just how repetitive it is and accidentally screw yourself because the game didn’t explain you needed something. The visual design shines and the soundtrack slaps, which only goes so far given just how tedious navigating these environments gets under the time restrictions the game saddles you with.

So it’s bad? Good to know, I can –

Hold your horses. There’s a wonderful game buried under here, it just needs some careful excavation to bring it to the surface. And that’s exactly what I plan to do! This will be a narrative screenshot LP; I’ll be punching up the dialogue and expanding on the characters (because the game desperately needs it sometimes) without touching the parts that make it great. In-game dialogue, actions, and descriptive text will be in plaintext, while added dialogue, actions, and commentary will be in italics. I’ll also post a soundtrack link every time the music changes, and I strongly suggest you click on the enough to get an idea of what track indicates which mood because while not every song is amazing, the game is a masterclass in moodsetting and leifmotif use. I will also be holding the occasional vote! Harvestella uses a Persona-style affection system for your party members (and a couple other characters), so from time to time I’ll be polling the thread on which characters to focus on. Remember to bold your answers so I see them.

Why do you repeat the text after screenshots? It’s annoying.

It’s accessible. I have a vested interest in promoting digital accessibility, and while Something Awful doesn’t have the right features enabled to go whole hog on it (and I also have a full-time job to handle in the background), I won’t be able to bring things up to proper standards. However, I’ll be using a variety of little tricks like that through the LP to make it a bit more readable for everyone. If there’s anything I can do to improve your reading experience (or if you spot any weird spelling or word choice, I use dictation software and it’s far from perfect), let me know and I’ll do everything I can.

Did you forget to put a spoiler policy in the OP before you posted it?

Yes :negative:. :siren: No spoilers, not even in spoiler tags! :siren: Spoiler tags are just an invitation to click them. Don’t bother being coy or vague about future events either. I’m just filling plot holes and adding characterization, not rewriting the plot, so anything that would count as a spoiler still counts as a spoiler here. I’m not too uptight about spoilers in general so I won’t be bringing down the fist of God on people who forget to think their posts through or whatever, but I will ask you to take things down if I feel they give away too much. I don’t care quite so much about mechanics spoilers, but since so much gameplay is tied up with plot progression that you’d probably best avoid them too. I’d like readers to be able to experience the game as it comes.

Speaking of which, :siren: we need to start off with a vote! :siren:

Unusually, this game completely decouples gender from customization options. Your pronouns, body, and voice can all be chosen however you like. On the plus side, nobody in the game’s entire extensive cast cares if you walk up to them presenting female and ask them in a masculine voice to call you they/them; they’ll always treat you with the proper reverence for a charismatic JRPG protagonist without missing a beat. No discrimination here. On the minus side, the game has zero interest in exploring any relevant themes, so the choice is purely cosmetic. I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go with the story, but I figure it’s best to start things off right with some thread participation!

Pick one option from each of the following choices:
  • Male, female, or non-binary
  • One of the 8 bodies in the screenshot above
  • Masculine or feminine voice
Format it like “non-binary, 7, masculine” and please bold your vote so I can see it quickly. I’ll select whichever options get the most votes, picking between them if necessary. :siren: Voting lasts for approximately 24 hours! :siren:

Update 1: There may be casualties at the scene
Update 2: You put yourself on the line too much.
Update 3: Let us reconvene
Update 4: Look, I don’t plan to stick around.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've been interested in this game but hesitated to buy it for the reasons you've described it being not great, so I'm definitely here for this.

My vote is Female, 7, Feminine

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I bought this game and burned out a bit on it maybe about halfway through, watched some streams of it and it seemed interesting what they did with the ending.

Female, 3, Feminine

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I've passively had my eyes on this game but never went through on getting it. This seems like it'll be an interesting LP to watch.

Non-binary, 4, Feminine.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 1: There may be casualties at the scene

Vows between Man and Star

We start off strong with a wistful theme featuring pianos, violins, harps, and a quiet bass backing. I know not everyone can will listen to the music while reading this LP and I don’t think skipping the music will ruin the experience or anything, but I strongly recommend you at least listen to the first minute of this track to get an idea of the sort of thing you’re always hearing in the background.

Character creation is simple and entirely cosmetic; no character classes or anything here. Still, I really do appreciate the flexibility the game takes towards how you design your character, even if most of its options are explicitly masculine and feminine (you just choose which ones you want to apply).

I’ll be going with a completely default character for this first update since I’m writing it before the initial vote closes; expect the force of democracy to kick in once we hit update 2. We’ll be keeping the default name, though.

(Ethereal Whispering)

???: Ein… Ein… Rise and shine, sleepyhead. It’s time to wake up.

Quietus

Floating Girl: You should be all better now. Come on, let’s go…

This game features some excellent and very varied portrait work for every major character, but I can’t find the portraits online and there’s no way I know of to extract them from the game files. To get these portraits for the LP I have to rip them directly from screenshots, which is a nightmare for somebody without Photoshop skills like me. If anyone can get me those portraits and maybe a game transcript if you’re generous, I’ll work them into the LP and credit you.

EI: I remember… A diamond.

We start off in this quiet village with a brief, unobtrusive tutorial on movement. We also learn something that’s… Well, I know this is petty, but it makes me froth at the mouth. I’m using an Xbox controller on the PC version, and for some godforsaken reason they mapped the confirm button to B and the cancel button to A. You know, the opposite of like 80% of games that make sense? You can change which controller buttons do what in the key input screen, except for those two. You actually have to leave the game, find the Xbox controller settings specifically for Harvestella in Steam, and change the button mapping there to get things to work right, and by the time I figured that out I’d already built up enough muscle memory to make the switch pointless. Why? Why would you do that?

Whatever, I need to move past this.

Anyway, we don’t have far to go before we find our new friend again.

Floating Girl: I think you can do it... I think you can be the one to save her…

Most dialogues give us a chance to pick between a few options every once in a while, enough that for a silent protagonist Ein actually comes across as rather chatty. The vast majority of dialogue choices at most change the next couple lines, though, so don’t get too excited about player choice. We’ll run into a few very important exceptions eventually, but that’s a long, long way away.

Ein: Where am I?

Floating Girl: Well… I can’t tell you yet. There will come a time when you will have to choose… Between this world and the one that existed until now… But… Always remember… That this is the story of your world. And as long as you love it, you will find a way. So… No matter how hard it gets… No matter how hopeless it may feel at times…

The screen flashes.

Floating Girl: Don’t turn away from it.

Bird’s Eye Brae - Day

Doctor Takemi, what are you doing here?

Cres: Oh, you’re awake. Somehow. Good.

Ein: Where am I?

Cres: We call this hill Bird’s Eye Brae. At the bottom is a village called Lethe. And I’m Cres, the village doctor. Now it’s my turn. I’ve never seen you before, and I’ve never met anyone dumb enough to wander around during Quietus.

Ein: What’s Quietus?

Cres: … Either you’re from a very long way away or something’s up with your memory. Quietus will do that to you. Look, I can’t even begin to imagine how, but I didn’t see anything particularly unusual in my scan. You’re not in any immediate danger, but I really should look you over more thoroughly when I don’t have other people to check on. Come to my clinic in Lethe when you’re a bit more with it.

We get a moment to walk around, but we can’t exactly go anywhere interesting.

Whenever the game wants to seal off part of the game world (usually for boss fights), it throws up a little blue hex barrier like this. We’ll be spending quite a bit of time in this area, but we have plot to attend to for now.

Lethe Village - Day

Young Boy: Hey, are you okay? You look kind of out of it. Ohhh, I know. You’re the one Cres was talking about. You were found collapsed on the hill, right? Anyway, I’m Van. This is Lethe Village. If you’re looking for Cres, she’s probably in her clinic.

Ein: don’t know where that is. Any chance I could get directions?

Van: Hey, I'm on to you. You want me to take you to the clinic, don’t you? Sorry, no can do. I may not look at, but I’m super busy right now! I’m right in the middle of a game of Princess and the Omen! And after this, I’m gonna play Conellu Catch with Vent and everyone. It’s not hard to find, though. It’s at the top of the hill in the square, you can’t miss it.

Van: It’s really easy to get there! Just follow this street and then climb the steps from the Village Square. Well, see ya later! I gotta get back to my game!

Lethe’s a pleasant little burg with plenty of people and lots to do. Most of it’s off limits to us right now, though.

Middle Aged Man: Haven’t seen you before. Are you a traveler? Your timing is spot on! With Quietus over, Lethe has got a nice season to look forward to. But Quietus is no laughing matter. Visiting every time the season changes could be dangerous…

Harvestella’s towns tend to be rich in NPCs with plenty to say. Unfortunately, most of what they say is boring and they take too long to say it; this guy went through four screens just to get his dialogue out and he’s hardly exceptional. Add a text speed that’s just a little bit too slow and no way to skip dialogue and now you understand why I don’t talk to background NPCs in this game if I can avoid it.

Anyway, the clinic really isn’t that far away.

Ripples of Tranquility

Cres: Dim, you’re back? Now that you’re here, would you mind mixing up the Mayor’s medicine?

Ein: Um…

Cres: Oh, it’s you! You didn’t die!

Ein: Sh-should I have?

Cres: Doctor’s sense of humor, don’t worry about it. How are you feeling? Remembering anything yet?

Ein: I remember… A diamond. Not like the stone, a diamond shape. And I remember movement and, and anxiety, I think. And how to walk and talk and breath and everything. But I don’t remember anything else.

Cres: Well, you were outside during Quietus. That’s not that unusual as far as symptoms go.

Ein: Will my memories come back?

Cres: I really can’t tell you. We don’t understand Quietus very well yet, even after years of study.

Cres: Quietus is the season of death, when dust from the Seaslight is abnormally emitted into the atmosphere. It happens mostly during seasonal transitions, though you do see a rare surge mid-season if you’re very, very unlucky. The dust is highly toxic if inhaled, but the symptoms it causes are extremely unpredictable and attack the brain, making it a nightmare to treat. Fortunately, the dust particles are large enough you can avoid a dangerous dose just by staying in a well-built house and closing all the windows. Which is what you should’ve been doing last night. Now, move. Why are you just standing there? I’m about to give you a medical exam.

Cres gives you a medical exam.

Harvestella, understandably, isn’t too keen on animating elaborate sequences without much plot relevance. If you see a plaintext scene summary like this in the middle of an update, it’s because the game wanted something to happen, didn’t have the budget to animate it, and threw some text up on the screen instead.

Cres: For now, your body seems to be in working order. There’s a little Quietus dust still in your system, but aside from the amnesia I’m not seeing any symptoms. I couldn’t begin telling you how you’re still alive given how much exposure you must have had last night, let alone in good health, but I won’t turn my nose up at a medical anomaly that helps the patient for a change. This works out for me, too. I was just running out of beds, so it’s a good thing you’re better now. So, now, regarding your next –

(No Music, Rumbling)

The screen shakes briefly.

Cres: … Was that an earthquake? It’s so dark out…

Gale Force Shadow

Dim: Cres!!! It’s an emergency!

Cres: Dim! What was that shaking just now?

Dim: The Seaslight is acting weird! Come, quick!

An echoing, hollow rumbling begins, almost drowning out the music.

Old Man: Ohh… This is divine retribution. Our time has come!

Cres: The Seaslight is intensifying… But why… Quietus is meant to be over already…

Dim: Look!

Old Woman: What was that!?

Old Man: Did you see that? I told you it’s divine punishment!

Van: D-did it… Land in the North square?

Vent: I-I’m scared…

Milika: Look at you two scaredy-cats! Our town is in peril! We’ve got to go and find out what’s happening!

Van: W-wait!

Dim: Hey! Don’t run off like that!

Cres: Dim, let’s go too. There may be casualties at the scene.

(No Music, Crackling Sounds)

Middle-Aged Woman: I can’t believe it… How could something so massive fall out of the sky?

Middle-Aged Man: Imagine if the Order were here today. Imagine how many people would’ve been injured…

Young Man: I hope everyone’s all right…

Cres: … On the bright side it looks like no one got hurt. Step away from the crystal, everyone! It could have harmful effects on the body. Can someone inform the mayor? He should be back in town by now.

Milika: We will! Vent, Van, come on! It’s our time to shine! Let’s go.

Dim: All right everyone, show’s over. We’ll take it from here, so the rest of you can go home.

Dim: Oh, you must be the traveler my sister told me about. You better go home, too…

The crystal starts glowing and pulsing.

Cres: Wait, is this…

Dim: … An entrance?

(Please let me know if anything looks wrong, especially around the music links; I’ve had trouble with them before. Also, I promise future updates will be shorter and less picture-heavy.)

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 27, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well, this is already going places.

Female, 8, Feminine

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

…I can see this is going to be quite an unusual farming sim, then.

Non-binary, 1, masculine voice.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Seems like a decent start. I'll put my vote in for Female, 8, Feminine.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Fajita Queen posted:

I'll double up on this vote.

Been interested in this game since it was announced, but not nearly enough to fork out money for it. Heard a lot of varying opinions on it, so I'm interested to see what where this game shines and where it doesn't. I know this game got halfway caught in the crossfire of Rune Factory 5 being put out.

I'll be reading along, though I'll probably be slow to keep up and thus might not comment all that often. But I'll be reading!

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

I've been interested in this game but hesitated to buy it for the reasons you've described it being not great, so I'm definitely here for this.

The game is fine! I liked it despite its obvious budget constraints. It's a perfectly okay Harvest Moon-type combat farmer. And not one iota more than that.

Anyway, RNG gave me Female, 3, Masculine

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oh, Harvestella! I liked this game. A definite 7/10 experience, all told, though I never went back and 100%'d everything after beating it.

Best of luck running through the game, and I'll say NB, 8, Feminine for my votes.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Why do you repeat the text after screenshots? It’s annoying.

It’s accessible.

That is a really good point that hadn't occurred to me! I find it a little annoying as well so it's good to know there's an important reason behind it, thanks for pointing it out!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This looks interesting, I don't remember hearing anything about this game.

I'm voting for Non-Binary, 7, Masculine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I vote for the default.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

That is a really good point that hadn't occurred to me! I find it a little annoying as well so it's good to know there's an important reason behind it, thanks for pointing it out!

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but it’s honestly chump change. As bizarre as it sounds , it is entirely possible to make a screenshot LP fully readable to screenreaders and readable by blind users. However, that would require alt-text, and neither SA nor LPix really support it at present. I understand accessibility features are somewhere along the pipeline, but they aren’t here yet, so the best I can do is make life a little easier for low-vision users.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 24, 2023

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 2: You put yourself on the line too much.

As of the moment I decided to call this vote, female, 7, and feminine seemed to be in the lead. I took the chance to customize our new friend a little bit to make her a bit more visually distinct. So, where were we?

(Silence)

Dim: … An entrance?

Right.

Cres: You mean… You can go inside?

Dim: Hey!

Cres: No one told you you can go in!

Ein: Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.

Cres: I’m not letting somebody who just walked out of my office run into danger again!

Quietus

Figure in Armor: Ugh… uhh…

Ein: Are you all right? Come on, stay with me.

They’re in pain but still breathing.

Figure in Armor: Red… Een… On this…

Cres: Hey, are you okay? What’s going on in there?

Ein: Uh, we have injured in here.

Cres: Injured people? As in, human people?

Cres: What is this… That’s – traveler, get away from it now!

Ein: Why? We have to get them treated.

Cres: Are you crazy? Treat an Omen? Oh, right. That probably doesn’t mean much to you. Well, long story short, Omens are trouble. They might be the ones behind Quietus.

Ein: ”Might”? Look, this one’s injured right now. Aren’t you a doctor?

Cres: Well, yes… You’re right, I can’t pretend I didn’t see it.

Cres: Come on. Let’s carry it outside

Doubt in the Darkness

Dim: Cres!!!, That’s –

Cres: It’s a survivor. It’s wounded, but still alive.

Dim: That’s not what I meant!

Cres: I know. I’m not going to leave anyone I can help behind. You know this, Dim.

???: Cres, Dim. Have you found anything out about the flying object?

Cres: Mayor!

Mayor: My goodness, I’m astounded. This is the crystal that crashed-landed here? It’s enormous.

Cres: Mayor… There was an Omen inside it.

Mayor: Oh? Yes… It does look like one…

Dim: Mayor, please tell her! We’re not helping any Omens. This was clearly all their doing anyway.

Ein: You can tell me that, but there’s someone on the ground lying in pain in front of you.

Dim: … And? How does that concern you?

Mayor: Excuse me. Are you the traveler I’ve been hearing about? I hear rumors that you came from afar during Quietus…

Cres: Yes, this is the person from the rumors… Mayor, all my beds are still full from last week’s incident. But I can’t just leave this wounded Omen here either.

Mayor: Indeed. But we cannot provide refuge to an Omen in our town.

Cres: I thought so. But as a doctor, I can’t leave behind the injured under any circumstances.

Mayor: Calm down, Cres. I just said we cannot keep the Omen inside Lethe Village. There’s spare shed in Bird’s Eye Brae, isn’t there? No one would notice if you took it there. I grant you permission to treat it there until it regains consciousness.

Cres: Glad to have your “permission”, Mayor.

Mayor: Now to carry this Omen over to Bird’s Eye Brae. Could you lend me a hand, traveler?

Bird’s Eye Brae - Day

Cres: Hm… I won’t be able to treat this Omen if I can’t get under its armor. What is this thing made of? It just won’t come off.

Dim: That’s why it’s pointless even trying to treat an Omen.

Mayor: I suppose all you can do for now is let it rest.

Mayor: Now, as for you. What brought you to our town?

Cres: Mayor… Her memory was affected by Quietus.

Mayor: I see… You were incredibly lucky to make it this far out during Quietus.

Ein: There was… You have to understand my memory is fuzzy for what are apparently obvious reasons, but there was this girl.

Mayor: A girl?

Ein: Short, blonde, very long hair. I don’t remember much before, but I do remember her waking me up in the middle of the village very clearly. I think she did something, something that kept me alive.

Mayor: Hmm… None of the villagers should have been out at the time.

Cres: Her body was in a weakened state at the time. It’s not unlikely that she may have experienced hallucinations.

Mayor: Hm, perhaps. In any case, she could probably do with some rest. This shed has been vacant ever since the last owner left. You may use it as you please. Now excuse me, but I must be on my way to a village meeting. We have to decide on a plan of action regarding the crystal that landed here. Cres, Dim, I’m leaving the rest with you.

Dim: Cres… Are you sure you want to take in this Omen?

Cres: … Yes.

Dim: … There you go, getting too involved again. You put yourself on the line too much.

Cres:

Dim: I’m going back to finish the rounds.

Cres: Sorry. I’ve been so preoccupied with everything going on at the moment… I was a little harsh on you, I think. I do that too much. You’ve been through much more than I have.

Ein: Eh, not really. You stood up for somebody in need. I can respect that.

Cres: Take it easy for the rest of the day. Your vitals may look fine, but I’ve never run into a case like yours before and I don’t know whether your health might suddenly go south. I don’t THINK it will, Quietus isn’t subtle, but I really should come back tomorrow for a follow-up.

Ein: I’m not going to complain. See you then?

Ein: :shrug:

You are suddenly overcome with the feeling of tiredness. Time to get some rest…

Spring Zephyr Day 2

Harvestella uses an abbreviated month system familiar to anyone who’s ever touched a farm sim. Four seasons, each with a slightly whimsical adjective attached to the regular name to liven things up, each lasting 30 days before a sudden switch. Quietus has as its own mini-season, too, but we'll get to that when we hit that point in the calendar.

Chapter 1: The One from Beyond

Somebody’s here…

Cres: How are you feeling?

Ein: I’m alive.

Cres: Well, that’s what we hope for. I never got your name. Do you remember what it is?

Ein: I actually do know that. It’s Ein.

Cres: It’s good you remember that much, at least. You going to give you a quick once-over. Hold still, please.

Cres: Hm, okay. Still nothing out of the ordinary. Oh, that’s right. The mayor asked me to give you something. Would you mind coming outside?

Cres: It’s not the most conventional gift… But, here you go.

You received 3 Carrop Seeds and 3 Stellar Wheat Seeds!

Cres: It looks like everyone in Lethe Village pitched in.

Cres: You’ve got a good plot of land here. I guess he’s hoping you’ll put it to use while you get back on your feet. Which, I must say, makes perfect sense from a doctor’s perspective. It’ll keep you busy, since it is easy to feel gloomy or despondent when you don’t have something to work towards. And when the mind suffers, so does the body. No point in dillydallying. Let’s get to work. Don’t worry, I’ll teach you what to do. I’m not an expert, but I do know the basics.

What, did you forget this was a farming sim?

The basic mechanics of farming are relatively straightforward. You need a hoe and a watering can (both of which you get for free) as well as seeds (which you can buy at a store, find in a dungeon, or get from completing the quest). You hit the soil a couple times to prepare for planting, then scatter the seeds by selecting them in your inventory and getting them into the Y slot there.

You then water every unripened crop once a day until it matures. Simple enough.

Beside Sunlight through the Trees

Cres: Hm, sure. Not half bad. You seem pretty good with your hands. Keep it up and I’m sure you have no problem.

Ein: Yeah, that wasn’t so hard.

Cres: You pick things up pretty quick, huh? … This farm has seen better days. I’m sure those rocks are going to get in the way if you leave them there. If you had a hammer or something, you could break down those rocks and have more space on your farm. You wouldn’t happen to have one?

Ein: How?

Cres: Didn’t think so. In that case, you’ll just have to make one. I’ll show you how to make it but you’ve got to gather the materials first. You should be able to find the materials you need at the Njord Steppe.

Cres: You’ll find the Njord Steppe if you get off this hill from that gate over there and follow the road keys. There are monsters around there, though, so be careful. And… What else… Oh, you can have this.

You received a sandwich from Cres.

Cres: You must be hungry after all that farm work, right? Here’s something for you to eat. It’s a good idea to fill your stomach before you head out on any journeys… Because if you wait until you’re weak and passed out to eat, then it’s already too late! So you’re to eat that and restore the energy you spent. Understood?

Ein: Don’t mind if I do!

Cres: Well then. I’ll be heading back to the clinic. If that Omen opens their eyes after I’ve left, then let me know right away.

With that, most of the game’s major mechanics unobtrusively kick in, but I want to draw your attention to one in particular. See that yellow bar in the farming screenshots, the one under the white bar in the lower left? That is your stamina bar and it is your new god. Hoeing, planting, and watering all cost stamina. Every attack costs stamina (and special attacks cost extra). Fishing takes stamina. Dodging takes stamina. Even running takes stamina, and in fact it devours stamina like a starving man. If your bar ever runs out, you can’t do anything other than walking and talking until you eat prepared food to replenish it – which means you absolutely can end up defenseless in the middle of a fight because you fatfingered the inventory interaction button and ate your last burger earlier. Boss fights often hinge on how well you prepared your rations beforehand, which can be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view.

And speaking of combat…

To Eternity!

We’re quickly shuffled off to our next destination, the first dungeon in the game (despite the open sky). In my first playthrough, I actually spent some time wandering around the rest of the currently-accessible game world looking for a weapon before venturing into combat. If I didn’t have a hammer, why would I expect to have a sword?

Turns out one comes pre-installed. Combat is standard light action RPG fare for the most part; you go up against small knots of hostiles and hit them with combos and the occasional special attack until they fall over. These early monsters are absolutely no threat to anybody, so I don’t have to worry about tactics here.

They do, however, drop goodies. Monsters will occasionally drop things like seeds or rare crafting materials, but they usually drop the sort of things you pick up through resource gathering in the area. This berry, for instance, restores a whopping 50 HP in a game where a starting character has 600. It is also far more useful than it appears, but for now we just have to squirrel it away until opportunity strikes.

Speaking of common materials, every dungeon has two kinds of resource deposits: organic deposits that give you things like food and leaves, and mineral deposits like this one which give you mostly crafting materials. You want to hit these deposits as much as possible, especially because interacting with them marks them on your map when they respawn during future visits. Just keep in mind that they, like everything else, costs stamina to harvest.

Of course, no JRPG is complete without inexplicable chests, usually also containing seeds or rare crafting materials. This game never provides you with potions, weapons, or sophisticated equipment directly; instead, you have to use a crafting system which won’t kick in for another couple updates. I know I keep saying “I won’t tell you anything about this mechanic until later”, but Harvestella really does try to keep the flow of new mechanics well-controlled. It can feel restricting, but never overwhelming.

But this first area is only so long. We have a pair of mysterious figures blocking our way.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 24, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
So add XCOM to whatever this game is inspired by, I guess? Certainly feels like we're dragging a Muton out of a crash-landed crystal UFO.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
I always thought the only thing missing from most farming sims is the ability to dethrone and kill god.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Lethe is an appropriate place to have amnesia.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

idhrendur posted:

Lethe is an appropriate place to have amnesia.

I cannot believe I played the entire game and missed that :negative:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
"Vows between Man and Star" sounds a lot like "Kiss from a Rose".

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 3: Let us reconvene

Doubt in the Darkness

Omen: … Have you found it?

Other Omen: Yes. It has been spotted at the Spring Seaslight.

Omen: The Planetary Nightmare?

Other Omen: Most likely, yes.

Omen: Ah. I have an idea. Let us reconvene with Dianthus and the others.

Now doesn’t look like a good time to talk to them. It’s probably best to stay out of their way.

Fortunately, these two are too busy dropping Capitalized Plot Terms to notice us back here, but they also won’t budge. They’ll be blocking our way further into the area for a while, so it’s best we avoid them and their bafflingly high-heeled armor for now.

Follow that Cloud

As we leave the area, we head onto the main map – but before I explain how that works, I need to point out that clock in the upper right. If the stamina bar is God, that clock up there probably weighs in at about Holy Spirit level. Barring plot interference or defeat in combat, you wake up at 6 AM every day and have until evening to complete your chores for the day; while technically you can actually keep going forever, starting at 6 PM actions take more and more stamina to complete until you hit midnight, after which you can still run around but that’s basically it. It’s a lot less punishing than, say, Stardew Valley, but it puts a pretty strong damper on staying out late. Time passes at the same rate everywhere except the world map, where it only progresses as you move move, so in theory you could leave town and stare at the mountains for days on end if you were particularly dedicated. While 18 hours sounds like a long time, time passes a lot faster than it maybe should so you have a pretty hard limit on how much you can accomplish during the day – especially considering how rare save points are in dungeons. And yes, this game does use save points despite a 2022 release date.

We really don’t have much to do on the main map right now; we’ve already done the planting tutorial and completely exhausted the Njord Steppe for the day, so we may as well hit up the only other place open to us.

Lethe Village - Day

Harvestella isn’t the kind of enterprise to waste a good town design. Despite the village title, Lethe is one of the largest settlements around and easily the one with the most services; you’ll never stop returning here until you beat the game. Speaking of which!

Every town has a general store that sells a mixture of seeds, ingredients, recipes, entry-level equipment, and extremely simple items, the kind of thing we’ll be able to forge in a couple updates. Lethe’s store sticks out because it’s the only place you can buy inventory size upgrades. Tragically, Harvestella starts you out with a fat 0 in your bank account, so we won’t be buying things for a little while.

Just down the hill from the clinic lies the local blacksmith. If you’ve ever played a Suikoden title, you know the deal here: every character comes with their own weapon and instead of buying new ones, you pay the nice lady to spiff the old ones up. You do need raw materials from mining nodes in dungeons, though, so here’s another thing we’ll be coming back to later.

You can also find the renovator deeper in town, where he might as well be twirling his mustache given how villainous his prices are. This guy upgrades your farm, increasing your crafting capabilities, letting you raise animals, and expanding the area you can farm in if you’re willing to pay out the nose. It’s ultimately worth the investment, but the prices never cease to be ridiculous :argh:

It’s worth noting that both the renovator and the smith have their own unique models and introductory cutscenes. It’s also worth noting the game loving wastes them, this is the last time we’ll ever hear anything from them other than “please pay me for my services”. These could have been interesting characters, too! We can only mourn that which never was :arghfist::(

Bird’s Eye Brae - Day

We can’t do anything in the village without money yet, so it’s back to the farm for now. Your nice little cottage comes with a free mailbox; usually the letters let you know some new quest stage is avaiable or give you some seeds to help your income, but occasionally you get something plot related like this news bulletin. Note that “plot related” does not mean “helpful”.

“Brae”, by the way, is an old Scottish word for the side of a steep hill, and Bird’s Eye Brae live up to its name; it has surprisingly little arable land for a farm, instead featuring cliffsides and hidden areas. The game doesn’t tell you where any of these hidden areas are, or even that they exist, but the sheer size of the minimap kind of encourages you to explore by default. Right from the start you can find a little clearing to the southeast where you farm resources once a day.

Unfortunately, most of the good stuff is gated off behind plot developments or crafting requirements at the start. Sometimes it’s barely worth the effort – this rockslide conceals a chest with crafting materials, for instance – but sometimes you unlock entirely new farming techniques.

There are two colored boxes sitting right in front of the stairway that leads to your front door: the blue shipping and yellow storage box. The storage box (seen here) will take anything you toss in it and autocategorize it in its infinite depths – while, crucially, letting you access anything inside from any crafting or purchasing menus, even beyond the farm. You don’t have to haul raw materials around, just dump them in the box and craft or order away. Like… This game is bizarrely short on quality-of-life features. You know how I’ve been skipping between scenes so far? This game is so allergic to inter-scene teleportation that exactly one of those transitions happened automatically. I had walk to the next cutscene every other time even if there was nowhere else to go, and I wish I could say that doesn’t become a pattern. That would be an annoying design flaw if you weren’t almost always on a tight timetable, and since you are it goes past annoying to infuriating. Harvestella has countless terrible little design decisions like that tucked away in the corners, which is why it’s so weird some developer seems to have woken up from their drunken stupor to implement a QoL improvement you rarely see anywhere.

The shipping box, on the other hand, is pretty standard: put anything in there that isn’t plot necessary and the capitalism fairy will come by in the night to tuck appropriate monetary compensation under your pillow. You may be tempted, as I was, to dump everything you find into the box to get enough money to buy seeds or something. If so, as I did, you will come to regret it. Everything is craftable in this game. Everything. Doesn’t matter what it is, you can make it into a meal or tool or weapon and you will find yourself cursing your stupidity later when you have to waste time farming materials in dungeons that last mattered 10 hours ago. You don’t even get good money; the only things that sell worth a drat are crops. In time, there will be no end to the crops we can sell, but that’s a ways away yet.

I still put a few of the less valuable items in today because I need money for seeds that badly.

Our new house is actually quite nice, very rustic. We’ll do all our crafting here eventually, but you have to buy the right tools at the renovator’s and that takes time.

Time that we don’t have. We’re out of stamina and even if we weren’t, we wouldn’t have anything useful to do. Time to hit the hay.

(No Music, Hollow Roaring)

EVENING

Especially early on, the game likes to interrupt our sleep with cutscenes like this.

There’s a sound coming from the other bed…

Synthetic Voice: ERROR. ERROR. Abnormality detected in life support system. May cause irreversible effects to the body. Operator conscious level… Low. Cognizant judgment… Impossible. Checking atmosphere composition… Small amount of Gaia Dust detected. Body affected by Gaia Dust density. Rectifying… Discarding protective equipment.

The girl is sleeping peacefully. Better go and call Cres right away.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I was thinking about buying this but I'm definitely glad that I held off. Three updates is enough to convince me that would've been money wasted.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Very funny to me to see the Blue Beads of Zone Crossing from FFXIV.

It's boggling my mind to see the storage system. Stardew's is so restrictive, comparatively. (Though I think you can cook out of your fridge?)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Storage limits are man's inhumanity to man. Change my mind.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Falconier111 posted:

You may be tempted, as I was, to dump everything you find into the box to get enough money to buy seeds or something. If so, as I did, you will come to regret it. Everything is craftable in this game. Everything. Doesn’t matter what it is, you can make it into a meal or tool or weapon and you will find yourself cursing your stupidity later when you have to waste time farming materials in dungeons that last mattered 10 hours ago. You don’t even get good money; the only things that sell worth a drat are crops. In time, there will be no end to the crops we can sell, but that’s a ways away yet.

This is not entirely accurate, one of the nice things about the game is that if you can't use it for anything, it'll say 'put it in the shipping box to make money' in the item description. In all other cases, it tells you what it can be used in.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Oh man, Harvestella. I think the intro is the weakest part of the game, but it picks up after the first dungeon. Which is where the demo ends, so they kinda shot themselves in the foot on that one.

What’s really interesting (to me, anyway) is that despite the obvious budget crunch, there’s not an obvious “welp, we just ran out of money” point. The whole game gets more-or-less the same level of detail throughout, and I don’t recall anything that seemed obviously cut. Though it has been a bit since my last playthrough, so I may be forgetting something.

It’s a shame it hasn’t sold very well. I’d love to see a sequel or director’s cut with a proper budget.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 4: Look, I don’t plan to stick around.

Doubt in the Darkness

Dim: You’re trying to tell me there was a human inside that Omen armor this whole time?!

Cres: Ein. Are you sure this girl was inside the Omen armor?

Ein: The armor just… Vanished. And she was there. It’s not like it happened when I was asleep.

Cres: The proportions match, at least. The fabric of her clothing isn’t anything I’ve seen before either. I wonder where she’s from…

Dim: I bet she works for them. You shouldn’t let your guard down just because she looks like us, Cres. A human wearing Omen armor is pretty suspicious…

Cres: No one’s seen an Omen under their armor, for all we know they all look like this!

Dim: It doesn’t matter what they look like, we don’t know what she’ll do when she wakes up, especially when she landed in something that could’ve –

Mayor: Enough, Dim. There’s no point jumping to conclusions. What would you like to do with her, Cres?

Cres: What indeed. She’s still unconscious, so we’ll just need to wait and see for now.

Dim: But, Cres!

Cres: “But”, what? We can’t just abandon her, can we?

Dim: We can. We absolutely can get rid of something dangerous instead of keeping it in walking distance of the village.

Cres: And I won’t abandon someone who’s done nothing wrong. Ein, you don’t mind, do you?

Ein: Right now, far as I can tell the biggest difference between the two of us is she came in a wrapper. I’ll look after her.

Cres: I knew you’d see it that way too. I leave her in your care until then.

Mayor: Very good… It’s quite late, so let’s head back to the village.

Dim:

Ein: :raise:

Dim: Don’t let your guard down. No excuses.

Cres: I’ll come back in the morning to see how things are going.

Mayor: Goodbye for now, Ein.

The girl from the armor is sleeping peacefully… It might be a good idea to get some sleep too.

(No Music)

???: What the hell? Where am I? I was investigating the… Red … Een… Then… Ah! What happened to my gear!? Argh, this sucks! Seriously, what is this place?

(Rustling Noises)

She went outside…

Main Theme Acoustic

Girl: Is that…? No, it can’t be. A new Red Queen?

Ein: Looks like you’re up.

Girl: You… Weren’t you asleep in the other bed? What’s with the getup…?

Cres: Morning, Ein.

Cres: You’re up early – she’s awake?! I’ll go get the Mayor!

Girl: Her outfit… And did she say Mayor? I have a bad feeling about this…

(No Music)

The girl sneezes.

Girl: Ugh, it’s chilly out here. … Or maybe my clothes are too thin? Whatever. I’m going back inside before I catch a cold out here.

Bird’s Eye Brae - Day

Mayor: So… Can you tell us where you’re from, Miss?

Girl: Can you tell me what year it is, first? Like, what calendar do you use? Lunar…? Gregorian…?

Cres: I’m not sure how it will help, but we use the Horean calendar, making it the year 855.

Girl: Horean? I’ve never heard of it… Though I don’t get the impression any of you are making light of the situation… We speak the same language, so at least I got that going for me.

Dim: What are you? And what do you have to do with the Omens?

Girl: Omens? I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Dim: Playing coy, huh?

Cres: Dim, that’s enough! Let’s listen to what she has to say.

Girl: Thank you.

Mayor: We still don’t know where you’re from.

Girl: I haven’t figured that out, myself.

(No Music)

Girl: I’m looking at the clothes you’re wearing and the structure of this house… And I can’t say I’ve ever seen any of it in the history books I’ve read. Although… I guess they do resemble artifacts of what we’d call the “Middle Ages” where I’m from. Which leads me to draw only one reasonable conclusion.

Girl: I think I came here from the future…

Doubt in the Darkness

Dim: Huh?

Girl: Trust me, I want to believe this is all a bad dream. But I might have to accept that this is reality. It’s safer to laugh with the lunatics, after all.

Ein: Eager to catch a cold out there?

Girl: I appreciate the concern. If my theory is correct and I am, in fact, from another time… Then I have to find a way back. I need to come up with a plan. Not only that, but I need to figure out why that stone has appeared in this time as well. There’s a lot that needs to be done… And were already out of time.

(No Music)

Cres: What do you think she meant by that?

Dim: Beats me…

Cres: No point dwelling on it now.

Dim: I should head back to work. Do you need me here?

Cres: No, you go on ahead. There’s still something I want to do here.

Dim: Got it.

Cres: So, Ein. Those vegetables you planted yesterday should be ready now. Let’s go and harvest them.

Ein: … In under 24 hours?

Cres: Those particular seeds grow pretty quick.

Mayor: Anyway, you don’t mind if I take a look since I’m here already?

Cres: Come on, let’s go outside.

The game takes a moment to start tutorializing at us again, but I’ll bottom line for you. As you might expect, all your crops have different growing times, but most of them mature in less than a week. Those that take longer than four days or so usually bear multiple harvests or have some special property that makes the wait worth it. Today the carrops (all the crops have stupid names, roll with it) I planted yesterday are ready to pull, and tomorrow I’ll be able to harvest the dress lettuce and stellar wheat as well. For the first couple days on the farm I’ll dump everything in the shipping box just to get a healthy cash flow, but before long I’ll start setting aside large numbers of crops for the cooking mechanics. You always want to set aside some of your produce for cooking, especially crops that only grow in spring given how long it takes for the year to loop back around.

We also get the chance to use a little exploit. During tutorials or while the game’s waiting for you to run to the next cutscene, time doesn’t pass and stamina isn’t spent. Usually the game disables interactions with anything that isn’t whatever it wants you to do (though it does effectively give you infinite sprint for the duration), but it doesn’t always remember and sometimes you can squeeze some free work out. Since we’re going through a farming tutorial right now, I took the opportunity to replant and water everything I could; it doesn’t take that much time or stamina right now, but once you start farming on an industrial scale you can sometimes save several hours and half your stamina bar like this.

We also are formally introduced to that sewing machine in our house. Anything you make that is isn’t food comes from the crafting table: utility items, attack items, farm equipment, even area openers that undo things like that rockslide from last update. You unlock recipes gradually over the course of the game, but for now we can only make return bells (universal escape items) and that hammer Cres mentioned earlier.

We can use the hammer three times on any of the smaller rocks to break them up, but it hoovers up your stamina and we can’t break the big rocks yet. Fortunately, the hammer doesn’t drain stamina until a rock breaks, so you can find out those boulders are invincible by spending half the day hitting them without knocking you on your rear end for the rest of the day. Don’t ask me how I know this.

And that’s basically all we have available to us today. This game starts out VERY slow paced; we collect crap from the rest of the farm, beat up some monsters, clear all the small rocks, and run out of things to do before dinner time.

(Silence)

EVENING

???: I’m coming in.

Doubt in the Darkness

Girl: Sleeping outside is out of the question, so I’ll be staying in here for now. Just… Go about your business as though I’m not even here.

Ein: I did kind of agree to take you on here. We may as well try to get along, right?

Girl: Look, I don’t plan to stick around. I already have an idea on what to do next… More or less. … Anyway, good night.

Every night, on top of whatever money you brought in, the game totals your experience from the day and levels you up if you fought enough. Level up stat increases are pretty modest, but you level up relatively quickly (usually every day while clearing the dungeon) and your starting stats are low enough anyway every little bit counts. Our current enemies are so pathetic we can cut through them no matter what our stats are; I’ll cover what they mean when we start hitting actual roadblocks. Hopefully, that will be next update.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 29, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

quote:

[]beside

Something seems to be missing here.

quote:

[img]https://lpix.org/4561889/harvest 04 015.jpg

Broken img tags here though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

On that note...

quote:

Girl: Trust me, I want to believe this is all a bad dream. But I might have to accept that this is reality. It’s safer to left with the lunatics, after all.

Should be "laugh with the lunatics".

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Something seems to be missing here.

Broken img tags here though.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

On that note...

Should be "laugh with the lunatics".

Thanks for the assist, fixed. I need to proofread this thing more thoroughly, I should have caught the error about sell-only items too :negative:.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

If it makes you feel any better, I'd beaten the game before I realized it myself. :shepface:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 5: This diary is all the proof I have that I am who I am.

Bird’s Eye Brae - Day

It looks like the girl has already left…

(Knocking)

Cres: Ein? I’m coming in.

Ripples of Tranquility

Cres: Oh, you’re awake. Good morning. Are you all right? Let me know if you’re feeling off anywhere.

Ein: Nope.

Cres: Oh. Well, good. I take it that girl has already left, then? As a doctor, I do wish she would’ve stayed and rested… But I doubt she would’ve listened to me anyway. In any case, let me know right away if anything happens to her, all right?

Ein: :hai:

Cres: Well, that’s all for me for today. I’ll see you later.

And with that, Cres releases us to yet another short day. We spend a little time exploring the farm, but while there stuff to find, the only thing worth noting is a chest with 4 wheat seeds behind our house. We blow all our cash on seeds and we wouldn’t’ve even have enough to fill the land we’ve already tilled if we didn’t find those seeds.

EVENING

There’s a sound coming from the other bed…

Main Theme Acoustic

Girl: Did I wake you? Sorry about that.

Ein: Is that a book?

Girl: My mom always told me to keep a handwritten record of daily events. I always thought it was silly… But here I am, getting some use out of it after all.

Ein: You keeping a research log?

Girl: I’m confirming who I am and how I lived my life. My diary is probably the only way I can do that now. I must’ve been pulled here by a rip in the fabric of space-time… Or something along those lines… If the course of history has changed, then there’s a good chance that the future I know no longer exists… But, if I have memories of what’s written in here, then I’m reaffirming that what I remember is still real. It’s a small comfort knowing I haven’t completely altered my memories, or vanished due to some time paradox. But all that aside… This diary is all the proof I have that I am who I am.

Ein: I don’t know, I feel like you can measure your impact on the world in other ways.

Girl: You’re assuming I want to make an impact. I don’t. I just want to figure out what went wrong and fix it so I can go back to where I need to be. All you need to know is that this diary is something like a compass that’ll help me get back to my own time. You DO have compasses in this time, right?

Ein: :shrug:

Girl: I want to go home, but if I have no recollection of where home is, then how would I know which way to go? Anyway, that’s enough lecturing for one day. I’m tired. Good night.

MORNING

I’ve been wanting to show you what Harvestella’s writing looks like outside of major plot beats, so I’ve preserved the dialogue in the following sequence more or less as is.

Bird’s Eye Brae - Day

???: All riiiight! It’s your turn to be the Omen this time!

???: The what? Wait, how come you get to decide? Who are you, anyway?!

A Gentle Chat

Girl: What’s an Omen? I’ve heard people talking about those.

Van: Are you serious?! You don’t know Princess and the Omen? Whaat?! You’re so behind the times!

Vent: How can you not know Princess and the Omen? It’s so popular!

Girl:

Van: Oh hey, Stumblebum!

Milika: How are you doing, Stumblebum?

Ein: I beg your pardon?

Van: We’re here to play!

Girl: Why would they call you Stumblebum?… Actually now that you’re here, this is a good chance for me to sneak off unnoticed.

Vent: Wait, where are you going?

Girl: I just remembered, I have something to do. But don’t mind me. Your friend here has candy!

Van: CANDY?!

Vent: There she goes…

Milika: She was so pretty.

Vent: What now? Still wanna play Princess and the Omen, Van?

Van: Forget Princess and the Omen! We’re already at Bird’s Eye Brae! Let’s go to our secret hideout!

Milika: Oh yeah! Good idea!

Vent: Are you sure about this? It’s our secret place. We’re not supposed to tell anyone.

Van: Well, Stumblebum is our junior, so we’ve got to be nice and show her around!

Milika: How is Stumblebum our junior in any way?

Van: Well, we came to Bird’s Eye Brae first. Doesn’t that make us higher-ranking?

Vent: You’re right!

Van: You’re just bursting to see our secret hideout, aren’t you, Stumblebum?

Ein: … Yes. I totally am.

Van: Next stop! The secret hideout!!! Follow me!

(No Music)

Van: Check this out! Here’s our secret hideout…

Take Up Arms

Milika: Oh no!

Vent: Whaaa!

Van: Monsters destroyed our secret hideout!

Vent: But what about our treasure?! We left it in there!

Van: Stumblebum?

By this point, we’ve been killing these slime-plant-things for days in the Fjord. This shouldn’t take you more than a few seconds.

(No music)

Van: You did it! Those monsters are toast!

Vent: Now to check the treasure…

Milika: W-wait!

Take Up Arms

Vent: More of them?!

Milika: That one looks big enough to be their parent!

Van: I don’t care who they are. Stumblebum! Get theeem!

The game takes the opportunity of this not-actually-very-serious battle to introduce us to the job and skill system. Your character can equip up to three jobs at a time, each of which gives them a different stat spread and attack list when active. As you use a job in combat, you gain job points that unlock panels along that job’s skill tree, activating or enhancing skills (each job has three and one end-of-super attack) or giving you a utility boost like less stamina consumed while sprinting or faster job changes. Fighter here is Ein’s default job, but the rest are connected to party members, letting you echo their combat abilities and locking the top of the skill tree until you get so far into their storylines.

The fighter job is fast and flexible, best suited for quickly killing knots of weaker enemies but useful any time you need to pump out melee damage without getting hit, and its skills (like Blaze here) complement that. They do burn through stamina, but that’s true for every job.

Ripples of Tranquility

Milika: I hope you didn’t get hurt. Are you okay?

Ein: I’m okay.

Milika: Phew, that’s good.

Vent: You know, when the parent showed up, I thought we were done for.

Van: You’re so strong, Stumblebum.

Vent: Look! Over there!

Van: That’s our treasure!

Milika: It’s still in one piece!

Ein: You should probably make a new hideout.

Van: Thank you, Stumblebum. We owe you one!

You headed back home with Van and the others.

???: Ein!

Van: Yikes!!! Cres!?

Cres: Van?… And is that you, Vent? Milika? What are you doing here?

Vent: We were, uh…

Milika: Ah… The jig is up…

You explain the situation to Cres.

Cres: I see… A secret hideout. Kids, eh? Look what they dragged you into. You only came to check up on them and you ended up fighting monsters!

Van: I know, Stumblebum was sooo cool! She took down those monsters like it was a piece of cake!

Cres: Van. Her name is not Stumblebum, now is it? This person has a name, and it’s Ein.

Van: Oh… It is? Well, Ein! Thank you so much!

Vent: Thank you!

Milika: You go around traveling, you’re strong… You’re just so cool, Ein!

Cres: Anyway, I’m glad you’re all okay. … But you know…

Cres: … I’m still going to have to march you all home and tell your parents about the hideout you made it Bird’s Eye Brae.

Van: NOOO! Please, Cres! I’m begging you!

Milika: Beg all you want, it won’t help you now. You’d best get your apologies ready.

Vent: Wahaaa! Mom’s gonna be so mad again…

Cres: I’ll take the kids the rest of the way. See you around, Ein. Keep me updated about the girl as well.

Van: Wait, Cres! Ein was gonna give us some candy before we go home.

Ein: Sorry, I don’t have any.

Van: Aww, shucks!

And that’s the end of that.

Edward_Tohr posted:

Oh man, Harvestella. I think the intro is the weakest part of the game, but it picks up after the first dungeon. Which is where the demo ends, so they kinda shot themselves in the foot on that one.

What’s really interesting (to me, anyway) is that despite the obvious budget crunch, there’s not an obvious “welp, we just ran out of money” point. The whole game gets more-or-less the same level of detail throughout, and I don’t recall anything that seemed obviously cut. Though it has been a bit since my last playthrough, so I may be forgetting something.

It’s a shame it hasn’t sold very well. I’d love to see a sequel or director’s cut with a proper budget.

I’m pretty sure the cuts hit in the translation budget. As you can maybe tell from that directly-translated kohai and whatever pun didn’t survive the transition to Stumblebum, Harvestella suffers from too literal translation sometimes, especially with everything outside the main plot – which is unfortunate, because Harvestella is an incredibly wordy game, featuring long, elaborate sidequests with sprawling conversations. Some of those sidequests definitely deserve a look, but the rest of them… Well, they’re about as exciting as that sequence.

After we rescued the kids, the game frees us up for another uneventful day. Well, except for one thing. Sometimes when collecting food items, you get a gold version like this berry. Gold items give a little extra HP if consumed and sell for a little extra, but they’re most valuable in the kitchen. Unfortunately, our kitchen isn’t active yet and cool berries aren’t much use in there anyway, so this one goes straight in the shipping box. But also get a bunch of seeds in the mail from the Mayor, which was nice of him.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 31, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some typos and coding issues:

Falconier111 posted:

]]no

You’re assume make I want to make an impact.

an incredibly word game

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think you forgot to put some of Ein's lines in italics towards the end. Unless those are actually lines you say in the game. Hard to tell I'll admit.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Some typos and coding issues:

Fixed, thanks much.

Cooked Auto posted:

I think you forgot to put some of Ein's lines in italics towards the end. Unless those are actually lines you say in the game. Hard to tell I'll admit.

That’s intentional; all of Ein’s non-italicized lines are dialogue from the game. I usually skip over them because they can get insipid and pointless, but this time I was including it to give readers a better view of what unedited passages look like. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t confusing, though. You think this is something I should clarify or change up to make it work better?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, probably not. It just caught me by surprise in this case as I assumed we were dealing with a silent protag.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Harvestella is definitely a 6-7/10 game I spent a lot of time playing and enjoying but its writing is unfortunately the equivalent of gargling sawdust.

Which is a shame because there's a lot of fun stuff here, but so much of the stuff is either paint by numbers or hostile in the way having no QoL is hostile to an experience.

I think my 'favorite' thing that isn't mentioned is that if you choose to play with Japanese voices (which you can), most, if not all non-cutscene dialogue in dungeons/battle is unsubtitled. Which is kind of an important thing to be missing!

I really enjoy the soundtrack in individual pieces, but drat if they don't overuse some tracks to the point where they lost all impact for me. The soundtrack could have done with being like 50% bigger just so there was some variation in the score.

Also, I didn't know that you could craft from the box for approximately 60% of the game.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 31, 2023

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
the too-literal translations almost have a nostalgic feel, to me, but yeah. undeniably rough.

it is impinging on my hatred of time bullshit™️ plot though. if you can travel through time, you pretty much by definition can't run out of time. what does that even mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

theamazingchris posted:

the too-literal translations almost have a nostalgic feel, to me, but yeah. undeniably rough.

it is impinging on my hatred of time bullshit™️ plot though. if you can travel through time, you pretty much by definition can't run out of time. what does that even mean.

Well, she doesn't really seem to control the time travel, so it's probably difficult and requires specific circumstances to replicate. Although a bigger thing is that she might be completely wrong about where and when she is- unless the mention of the Gregorian calendar is a translation thing, she seems to think she's in the middle ages of Earth, which, between the giant crystal, the monsters, and the people in space suits, this pretty clearly isn't.