Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Freaquency posted:

I am here for the NFL trading card game

Oh Training Camp nvm

thnx for reminding me of mlb showdown, a game I played with my brother prolly over twenty years ago and haven’t thought of since

e: keeping coryell out til now would’ve been like keeping marino out until recently. But, but, supers bowlsss

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The ~inspiring narrative~ is just too strong tho

good for herbie

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

One of the starkest differences between how us and the other .0001% lives—I wouldn’t touch a cruise for us plebs if you paid me (well, to a certain amount) but farting around the Mediterranean on your private yacht for weeks sounds pretty drat nice to my non filthy rich self. Never facing any consequences is probably p good too

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Bird in a Blender posted:

Wtf is this tweet? He did not need to list every single denomination.

It’s like a graph! With only the X axis

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagine Devin Hester with this rule

Good, let’s get more Hesters (and put him in the hall)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh drat wasn’t even thinking politics until i just looked em up and welp i stand corrected

The post you quoted literally has the Overton Window in it and you weren’t thinking politics?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

BlindSite posted:

Not everyone thinks about politics at all times. Besides. Hatred for Cordon has bipartisan support. Its something we can all come together on, everyone of every nation, race, creed and religion can all agree he sucks.

Sure, but the post the was essentially “they were successful in America because of their poo poo politics” but (Overton window) framed as a (good) joke. Guess not everyone has reading comprehension at all times

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Forrest on Fire posted:

Same way James Corden and Ricky Gervais did, through the Overton Window

This was the post they were responding to when they said they didn’t realize it was about the brits’ politics, but the whole joke is based on the Overton window so it’s pretty explicitly about politics. Maybe the Overton window is more obscure than I thought? My parenthetical comments were just to contrast Forrest on Fire’s good joke as opposed to my stupid Overton window frame pun

Anyways, apologies, it’s been a day; back to our regularly scheduled football chat

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Wasn’t a political take at all? And I post in one d&d/c-spam thread, if c-spam even currently exists, idk, but sure

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It wasn’t even a joke originally! I was just throwing shade at someone for not really comprehending Forrest on fire’s original Overton window joke. I’ll drop it now.

Semi football related: anyone here read A Fan’s Notes? I’ve heard mixed opinions

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Silly Burrito posted:

Don’t be jealous

If only we all had it so Easy

(tho he’s looking most like fassbender to me, who sadly survives iirc)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cavauro posted:

"look over there. quickly, look over there." - albert einstein

"...a paradox upon which I had already hit at the age of sixteen: If I pursue a football with the velocity c (velocity of light in a vacuum), I should observe such a football as an electromagnetic field at rest though spatially oscillating. There seems to be no such thing, however, neither on the basis of experience nor according to Madden’s equations. From the very beginning it appeared to me intuitively clear that, judged from the standpoint of such a player, everything would have to happen according to the same laws as for a defender who, relative to the earth, was at rest. For how should the first player know or be able to determine, that he is in a state of fast uniform motion? One sees in this paradox the germ of the S2 cognitive test is already contained."

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

mcmagic posted:

I feel like the vikings should retire 28? no?

Maybe they wait five years after retirement or something? Makes no sense otherwise

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fartknocker posted:

They need to retire 84 first.

Well now I’m really confused. Here’s the list of their retired numbers:

Fran Tarkenton #10.
Mick Tinglehoff #53
Jim Marshall #70
Korey Stringer #77
Alan Page #88
Cris Carter #80

So Cris Carter is the most recent, and he retired 21 years ago. Did they get new ownership that is morally opposed to retiring numbers or something

e: Zygi took over in 2005, so maybe? Quickly someone alert Jon bois so he can include this pressing issue before the last video is finished

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 7, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grittybeard posted:

Retiring numbers in the NFL for very old franchises is oddly kinda hard I think, with the NFL's numbering system. Until...well at least somewhat recently compared to history (it's been a good while) you could only wear 80s if you were a WR. So you could suck up a number that you'd never use again and if you do that too often no matter how much it's deserved eventually you run out of numbers.

At least I think that's the explanation for why some teams don't retire numbers at all and just have their ring of honor for the players.

I figured that was part of it, but the 20s are wide open, and as you mentioned it’s not as relevant anymore with the new numbering system

e: Here’s who’s in the ring of honor excluding non-players:
Jared Allen
Matt Blair
Bill Brown
Joey Browner
Cris Carter
Chris Doleman
Carl Eller
Chuck Foreman
Steve Jordan
Paul Krause
Jim Marshall
Randall McDaniel
Randy Moss
Alan Page
John Randle
Korey Stringer
Scott Studwell
Ahmad Rashad
Fran Tarkenton
Mick Tinglehoff
Kevin Williams
Ron Yary

So assume in Peterson’s case it is a five year wait or something. Has any team ever unretired a number? OJ maybe?

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 7, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Cavauro posted:

the broncos had retired 18 until peyton came along

Had forgotten that, but then it was subsequently re-retired and the previous player gave him permission, which I think has happened before, or maybe I’m just thinking of Namath offering 12 up to rodgers

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Eh, the arrowhead plus the name is clearly meant to evoke indigenous folks and that’s Weird in 2023. Not to mention that chant, but I suppose that’s not technically uniform chat. Odd how the crowd does that chant instead of a political cheer for that mayor tho, wonder where they got that idea from

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 7, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ehud posted:

you know what's really offensive is the bucs as the fifth best unis in the NFL

Creamsicles doing a lot of heavy lifting

To add more fuel to the fire, mcmagic’s uni list is good besides the chargers not being #1, which I think we can all agree upon

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Not really that, but reminds me of when Kliff to Kyler was like “you think it’s so easy to call plays?! Why don’t you loving try it!” and then they scored in like three plays. Those two really deserved each other

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

LiquidFriend posted:

gently caress I totally forgot about that racist billboard Sonic in Belton did.

https://www.eater.com/2013/12/9/6317481/sonic-apologizes-for-racist-chiefs-redskins-sign

“allowed passion to override good judgement”

uh huh so that’s what we’re calling it now

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Players shouldn’t be allowed to have the same last name as franchise cities

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Mega64 posted:

If he starts gyrating his hips I will send some angry letters.

That is a disgusting act by Justin Herbert and it’s unfortunate that we have that on the air

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

lol thought it’d be a movie about slavery or something but no it’s that movie

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Bip Roberts posted:

It's like how Rambo 2 was based on the myth that there were tens of thousands of POWs in Vietnam that Washington knew about but wasn't willing to get.

All those POW and MIA flags I saw as a kid took on a different meaning when I learned the history of it. One of my “favorite” bits was Nixon using it to drag along peace talks and the north Vietnamese being like 1) that’s not real and 2) even if it were, that’s not how war works. You get prisoners after the war is over (unless it’s a prisoner exchange of course)

My aunt is in Switzerland and apparently all the cows are required to wear bells—running backs just can’t catch a break

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

fartknocker posted:

When RedZone isn’t on, they should just randomly replay old weeks of it. They’ve been doing it since 2009, so I’d be okay with turning it on to randomly see like Week 12 of 2011 or whatever for shits and giggles.

That’d be fun, plus old classic games, documentaries, and they can have one talking head show I guess

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
It’s funny because he claims he would’ve had the most catches ever in a super bowl and beat Rice’s super bowl yardage record by 40 yards, if only he hadn’t been injured (and his injury was transferred to kupp)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Gatts posted:

Will there perchance be a gaming thread tonight for Friday Night Football so as we may discuss pre-season foobaw and make projections on the regular season from it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039134&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

It’s the preseason so go ahead and just make one if you’re feelin it. Forgot to include GDT in the title; it’s the preseason for all of us

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
For all the degenerates here’s today’s “game” day thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039181&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
How can you hate the best streak in sports

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Is there a clip of that west wing scene? Thought it’d be easier to find if it’s as cringey as it sounds

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Forgot Warner spent a year as a giant before heading off to the cardinals. Must have been a depressing year for Faulk, Bruce, and Holt

holt should be in the hall

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

Weren't these the Marc Bulger years? He was decent for a couple years before the concussions did him in, I thought.

Ya, and Warner was dealing with injuries and some rough games. It made sense at the time, just really didn’t work out in the long term

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

whos that broooown posted:

Now do concession staff wages

Doubt more expensive concessions is going into the pockets of the workers. At least some people besides billionaires benefit from this (obv ideally pay them well and have concessions be cheap but america/capitalism/hellscape/etc)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Grittybeard posted:

Feel like there's a citation needed on that one.

But if they're leaning into it that's all pretty cheap stuff to make, it's just foreign to about every other stadium as far as I can tell.

Haven’t personally verified but do know the owner makes a point of having concessions be relatively cheap. Comes up in the jon bois falcon series maybe? idk where else i’d learn mercedes benz stadium concession pricing

whos that broooown posted:

Maybe not directly but I doubt the prices would be that low if concession workers in Georgia weren't making on average 5 dollars less per hour than workers in California. It's only fair if dumbass fans are comparing it to dodger dogs or whatever the gently caress.

Should those fans also factor in cost of living of LA vs Georgia? And other low minimum wage poo poo states will still have expensive concessions, just give the falcons a slight w on this one, they need it

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 20, 2023

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Believe he’s the slightly less lovely one and sometimes poo poo people can do something non-poo poo. Every owner is terrible because they are billionaires, but at least this is a bone thrown to us unwashed masses

packers super bowl for the revolution

Anyone got some ~bold~ predictions before this season kicks off? I’m gonna wish a chargers-lions super bowl into existence (lol this’ll never happen)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
nooooooooo

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Reasons why one is a bootlicker, as according to tff:

Not masturbating at work

Not booing a player protecting his health

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

MakaVillian posted:

I finally finished Quarterback and gosh darn it I think I like Kirk Cousins, terrible opinions notwithstanding.

It made me like him more, mahomes less, and still have no opinion on mariota

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

kiimo posted:

we have like MAYBE 24 hours before Boltman is ran into the ground and cringe but in the meantime I'm still laughing at these

https://twitter.com/seanplemons/status/1696344545502621874

Put Boltman in the hall of fame and the art institute imo. That way it’s a timeless classic and not a meme ran into the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Because they have nobody else good to spend the money on and your project rookie QB needs the loving help.

Especially now that even more money is freed up after that whale died