Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Manoueverable posted:

Most of the appeal of training camp news is about seeing what shakes out from the sheer attrition of all the season ending injuries in the first week. And maybe some holdout drama.

Training camp dreamboats are fun. Sure they just about never work out, but if one does and you were in early you get the right to claim you were believing in them from the start.

I knew this guy was going to be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

After Coryell this is a pretty mediocre class but the loving de facto inventor of the spread offense should've been in within 3 years of eligibility, so it evens out

Revis and at least one and a half or maybe more than that Thomases I'm a fan of at least.

The cool Barber should have been in before this point I think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

RB free agent contracts aren't high because they die in their mid-upper 20's which you can hold onto them through a rookie contract + 2 franchise tags if needed. If you make it so they effectively can't be franchised, then you'll see RB's get your typical extensions after year 3 to lock them up until their late 20's and then they're toast, and in the process the best ones would start seeing contracts approaching mid-2nd tier WR contracts instead of 3rd-4th tier ones like they're reduced to now.

Teams do value RB's, two just got drafted highly, a hella expensive one was traded for roughly the value of a 1st last year and 3 were franchised this offseason. Teams value young, productive running backs.

It's just the rest of the FA market for RB's is trash because the good ones are dead by the time they hit FA.

I hope Frank Gore realizes his boxing career isn't going anywhere and comes back to keep gaining three+ yards a carry just to do his part helping out proving old RBs are at least somewhat useful. Depending on circumstances.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Ravens signed something called Arthur Manlet and are supposedly sniffing around Chase Young.

This made me think I'd missed Chase Young becoming a free agent for a second.

I don't know what you'd trade for the guy after the last couple of years, he's someone I'd like to have on my team but, uh....yeah we've already got the Kadarius Toney jokes going on over here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Mahomes is now the 8th highest paid QB and still has 9 years left on his deal.

gently caress I hate the KC front office

kiimo posted:

They will redo it for sure.

Yeah there's no way that holds unless the Chiefs have gotten into the paying Tom Brady under the table game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

The Northwestern hazing poo poo is unreal

Yeah we've been talking about it in the NCAA thread.

It's wild to think that...well first off they thought they could get away with a two week suspension in June. But also wild that there was apparently some real thought as to hiring Pat Fitzgerald as an NFL coach a couple of years ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

6 years 6 million

I always look at the inflation calculators for these things and...well it's about 18 million in today's money.

So if it were a one year contract he's in the middle of the pack or a bit below for a starting QB today. For a 6 year contract, yeah...prices have gone up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
In happier or at least more amusing news NFL people are noticing that Deuce Vaughn looks like someone put an 8 year old on a field with NFL players.

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1684648359322341376

I think the huge training camp helmets don't help him out here any, but there's only so much help to be done when you're that little but can still ball.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--e:fb

fsif posted:

I'm not even necessarily completely sure that Daniel Jones is even definitively better than, like, Baker Mayfield.

He's...faster than Baker for sure? He can still move his body in all the ways he could before?

Playing the position is up in the air, although I'm still not as down as most are on Mayfield. I think there could be something there that died for a while because both he and the Browns were idiots. For Jones he, uh, maybe hasn't had the most help, but I'd like to remember him for something other than falling down at the 10 yard line for no reason on a big run. Like if your biggest highlight is something that everyone laughs at that seems not ideal.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

I think that had more to do with his 14-52-1 record as a head coach.

I hope someone hires Hue Jackson again and he just keeps...existing wherever losing all of the games but playing politics so well no one thinks to fire him.

His best season in Cleveland by far was his last, 2-5-1 before you fire the guy? 2 and a half more wins than his first 2 years. He was on the upswing man.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He said Payton needed to “keep Hacketts name out his mouth” because Aaron “I Think People in This Society Have a Hard Time Hearing the Truth Sometimes” Rodgers is his friend.

And then Payton apologized like a coward after speaking the goddamned truth.

e: that doesn't explain the thing I guess. Payton said Hackett was awful, which he was...pretty demonstrably. Rodgers called him out on doing that since he's buddies with Hackett. Then Payton apologized the next day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Hackett was in way over his head and everyone on the offense looked terrible.

Everyone's to blame, but the scheme was what got to me. Even if everyone's playing at an all pro level that offense wasn't going to be more than middle of the pack.

And...of course since everyone will never play at an all pro level on a team it ended up being a complete disaster, but I do think it started with the scheme.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Isentropy posted:

Like being a QB is being “team leader” and you’re acting like some anonymous faceless CEO, canned inspiration speeches and all

This reminded me of the video where Russ is trying to high five everyone walking into the locker room and pump them up. It was so sad, the people who engaged were like 'meh, sure' and some just walked right by.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Could see a world where they retire:

Carroll, Belichick

Andy Reid is getting up there a bit in years so that's a theoretical possibility I suppose.

He's also having the most fun he's ever had coaching so, you know, probably not, but I could imagine it happening.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Bois's Vikings thing drops tonight at 9 Eastern. Or at least the first part of it. I am sure there are many more parts involved.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

We're 2 days away from seeing Jets starting QB Zach Wilson in action!

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1686445094105137153?s=20

I like that Josh Dobbs is important enough to keep away from the Hall of Fame game.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I still can't believe Hyatt lasted until the third just on tools.

Yeah all he did for the most part was run screens and go routes in college, but he did those things really goddamned well and you can imagine the player he might become.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Who was that RB that was taking swigs of Grey Goose during practice? Clarett?

If I wasn't too lazy I'd find the video of Maurice Clarett lying under a table in the shade in training camp just kinda picking at the tablecloth from underneath while the press was trying to talk to him.

To be fair there were a lot of other issues going on in that guy's head, it wasn't all just being drunk.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Now here's a guy who likes Dan Snyder that I'm sure all Washington fans remember kindly and want to know the real scoop:

Albert Haynesworth on Dan Snyder

quote:

"Everybody's like, 'Dan's an a-hole, whatever, but he's not. Everyone's like, 'He ruined Washington, D.C. He ruined the [Commanders]. This guy, who he was ... he loved [Washington]. He's like watching every practice, he's doing all that stuff."

He also whines about Deangelo Hall, Clinton Portis, and Chris Cooley.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Well now I’m really confused. Here’s the list of their retired numbers:

Fran Tarkenton #10.
Mick Tinglehoff #53
Jim Marshall #70
Korey Stringer #77
Alan Page #88
Cris Carter #80

So Cris Carter is the most recent, and he retired 21 years ago. Did they get new ownership that is morally opposed to retiring numbers or something

e: Zygi took over in 2005, so maybe? Quickly someone alert Jon bois so he can include this pressing issue before the last video is finished

Retiring numbers in the NFL for very old franchises is oddly kinda hard I think, with the NFL's numbering system. Until...well at least somewhat recently compared to history (it's been a good while) you could only wear 80s if you were a WR. So you could suck up a number that you'd never use again and if you do that too often no matter how much it's deserved eventually you run out of numbers.

At least I think that's the explanation for why some teams don't retire numbers at all and just have their ring of honor for the players.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What is the throwing motion against air going on there anyway aside from everything else wrong about Carson? I guess you practice throwing off platform but from the last couple of years I'd just like to see him step into a throw.

And have it be on target.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nodoze posted:

Who would have ever believed that it wouldn't be Wentz that was out of the league

I mean over Goff in 2020? Maybe you just say both, but Goff's comeback even if he falls off hard now is something no one predicted.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1688544071613038592

I am not a Kareem Hunt fan, but it's crazy to me he's just a 3 game fill in guy now. I guess his yards per carry were way down last year, but it's only one year, and it was the Browns just trying to put pieces together. And he isn't 30.

No market for big money for him I understand and there shouldn't be one. No offers other than possibly this I don't.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I don't believe he's Kareem Hunt anymore though, he was pretty non-existent last year, and while the Browns did have that whole thing going on, Nick Chubb was still Nick Chubb.

Chubb was down too!

Um...just his being down still meant 5 yards a carry.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

This is neat. Vrabel's letting the assistant HC coach the first preseason game. Dunno if this is something that happens often in preseason, but seems like a cool way to help develop your coaches.

I think Andy Reid does this fairly regularly? I seem to remember reading about it at some point.

And...well he's produced a fair amount of head coaches.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

The rape and assault allegations maybe?

He didn't do any sexual assaults that we know of I don't think? He just looked the other way during that incident (probably under the advice of Gary Barnett who is a...whole deal). Which certainly is not ideal either way. Assaults happened while he was in college as a player. I think there was a DUI and some other traffic stuff.

But when you have been actively employed as a coach all along and these things happened between 20 and 30 years ago I find it hard to believe anyone in a front office truly cares about that unless it's an excuse.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wandler20 posted:

So Ruggs got 3 to 10 years today. That seems like a large window, how exactly does that happen?

It appears 3 years until he can ask for parole, 10 years if the board doesn't agree to it when he's allowed to ask--which would happen yearly I believe?--and then he's out either way. Not a lawyer, but that's how I understand it.

So like, 3 years for sure, maybe up to 10.

e: oh maybe I misunderstood your question. The gap might be a sop to both the defense and prosecution by the judge I guess? Both were asking for way less and way more.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 9, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MrLogan posted:

I know TFF doesn't actually watch football, but this is dumb even by McMagic standards.

Your gimmick just...isn't fun man. Telling a football forum they don't watch football because they also look at stats is idiotic, and I'll bet a kidney I watch more football than you do. It's also amusing that you're using a stats based argument here.

It is not an unreasonable take to think that Ruggs will not be signed or see the field again if he does get out in 3 years, which is not guaranteed. Sometimes people are messy, Justin Blackmon was on pace (if he had played a full 16 game season) to hit 1600 yards in his second season and never saw the field again if you want to play that game. He didn't kill anyone in a particularly horrible fashion to his credit, he was just unemployable.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 9, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Guess who finished 2nd in the Heisman that year who the media also didn't do a lot of research on

Collin Klein's bloody elbows were robbed that year I tell you! (3rd, but a respectable 3rd in voting)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So, uh, anyway. Preseason proper starts tonight.

Is anyone in the league playing any starters or high draft picks worth checking out this weekend?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Melvin Gordon did some light poo poo talking last year (just jokes mainly to his credit).

He never played a down for the Chiefs but he did get a ring.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

Yeah the pick was really bad. It looked to me (as a moron) like he just stared the receiver down the whole time and then threw it late.

It's...slightly better on a wider view? Maybe? It's awful either way of course.

You can see he just completely missed the safety sitting there as a robber waiting to jump the route, the guy he was throwing to looked open when he started to throw. So it's not like he just threw to the wrong jersey which is what it looks like in highlights. Yeah, that's...one bad rep for sure. But it's one out of four attempts, he's got time to get better or even worse.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MaximilianK posted:

Are we going to get a Hot Seat Watch thread? Definitely my favorite reoccurring seasonal thread here.

Benne will get one going in October or so I'm sure unless there is an amazing disaster that happens before that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

I can't believe the guy who played worse than a guy who literally couldn't throw might be bad.

Well he got hurt too, it's not like they just took him out. Also he'd only been there like a week or something right? Rough gig.

I will say one thing for Josh Johnson, the man has to absolutely love football to still be around. He hasn't been around the block in this game, he's been around about 18 blocks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Wait, he was this guy?

https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1691250926185861120

Jesus Christ, too young.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

Don't loving drive motorcycles. They are bad.

quote:

They are also loud and obnoxious.

Well they're death machines, but they aren't all bad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I feel as though that family claims a lot of things of variable truth for some reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
And then Lance when they were trying to give him snaps last year played in a monsoon and then got immediately hurt in week two.

Just kind of a cursed career so far.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Prediction: he sucks and then gets a mysterious injury and DTR never gives the starting job back to him.

edit: but then the Browns trade him and go with Deshaun again next season because it's the Browns

On Watson: They didn't give themselves any outs on that contract, he's just there one way or the other for a while. If he's bad enough to bench, then you bench him and pay him. And play someone on a rookie contract as far as I can tell.

And if he somehow ends up good enough that anyone would trade for him he'll be good enough to keep I guess.

e: other option: Josh Dobbs to the rescue!

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ya, and Warner was dealing with injuries and some rough games. It made sense at the time, just really didn’t work out in the long term

Kurt Warner really did benefit from some amazing receiving corps in his career, but my argument at the time that any QB who could make the NFL would do ok with the guys he was playing with died instantly the moment he retired.