Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jets vs Browns Thursday after next, get hyped folks!

HoF Class:

Ronde Barber
Don Coryell
Chuck Howley
Joe Klecko
Darrelle Revis
Ken Riley
Joe Thomas
Zach Thomas
Demarcus Ware

Already opened camp: Browns, Lions, Chiefs, Jets
Everyone opens camp Tuesday except for the Steelers who do it Wednesday *shrug*
August 8th: Last day for drafted rookies to sign
August 29th: Cut day* There's no multiple cut days, this is the only day you have to get down to 53 players.
August 30th: Waiver day, Practice squad day.

All team joint practices:

August 8-9
Dolphins to host Falcons
Lions to host Giants
Bengals to host Packers

Panthers to host Jets (Aug. 9-10)
Raiders to host 49ers (Aug. 10-11)
Eagles to host Browns (Aug. 14-15)
Commanders to host Ravens (Aug. 15-16)

August 16-17
Colts to host Bears
Jets to host Buccaneers
Lions to host Jaguars
Packers to host Patriots
Texans to host Dolphins
Titans to host Vikings
Rams to host Raiders

Chargers to host Saints (Aug. 17-18)
Broncos to host Rams (Aug. 21)
Titans to host Patriots (Aug. 22-23)
Vikings to host Cardinals (Aug. 23-24)
Saints to host Texans (Aug. 24-25)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Lucky news:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1683523272946733056

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Probation incoming

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Getting them on the WR tag won't do anything except get them released and have to accept lesser FA contracts

If they'd have to accept lesser FA contracts they wouldn't be franchising them. It makes 0 sense for the best RB's in their prime years to be cheaper then WR's like Michael Gallup or Corey Davis

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

stuker posted:

i'm convinced the 20% kicker must have gotten included in the new deal because i don't believe anyone can be so blind as to negotiate a contract without realizing you're giving up a likely $2m for that

Every tag has that requirement, by raising his salary to the FT number this year, tagging him next year would still require the 20% bump.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aaron Hernandez's older brother arrested after planning school shootings.

This is after he got arrested for throwing a brick at ESPN's campus awhile back.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

stuker posted:

i'm not a lawyer so i'm sure there's something i'm missing, but i thought that the 20% kicker only applies for two consecutive franchise tags? if next year's deal is his first agreement to the traditional franchise tag, NYG doesn't have any obligation to provide him with a 20% raise from this deal because he did not play the 23-24 season under a franchise tag (even if it's effectively the same)

Nah, the way the franchise tag works is it's the calculated number based on existing contracts or 120% of the previous year's salary, whichever is greater. It's just that since virtually every NFL contract has signing bonus / roster bonus numbers all over the place, the salary is rarely high enough for that to come into play outside of if they were just franchised.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The gently caress? He didn't play last year.

He's 37

He had 14 catches 2 years ago.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

I'm saying if the franchise tag number on RB was higher than it is now, no one is ever going to franchise tag a RB and they will just let them go and draft a new guy. RB free agent contracts already are not high, if more of them flood the market it isn't going to go up

RB free agent contracts aren't high because they die in their mid-upper 20's which you can hold onto them through a rookie contract + 2 franchise tags if needed. If you make it so they effectively can't be franchised, then you'll see RB's get your typical extensions after year 3 to lock them up until their late 20's and then they're toast, and in the process the best ones would start seeing contracts approaching mid-2nd tier WR contracts instead of 3rd-4th tier ones like they're reduced to now.

Teams do value RB's, two just got drafted highly, a hella expensive one was traded for roughly the value of a 1st last year and 3 were franchised this offseason. Teams value young, productive running backs.

It's just the rest of the FA market for RB's is trash because the good ones are dead by the time they hit FA.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feels like a sick joke

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1683876914862391297

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The largest WR contract handed out this offseason was Hopkins for 1 year $13m

Because the good ones weren't on the market, just like RB's.

If Josh Jacobs was just available as a FA this offseason, you really don't think a team would offer him say, 2 years $30m? That's less then Hunter Renfrow money.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 25, 2023

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Puppy Bowl posted:

How soon we forget OBJ getting plucked from the couch for $15 Million (up to $18 with incentives.)

.... gently caress

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

General Dog posted:

I don't think anybody is saying it's a good or just outcome, but what's the answer for buoying RB salaries other than eliminating the salary cap or eliminating the rookie pay scale? (Not that either of those would be bad things, but I doubt either outcome is realistically on the table)

Combining RB + TE + WR into 1 cap number like OL means they don't get tagged anymore effectively, and would let Josh Jacobs / Saquon set the market.

Which, like with guards, causes their market to rise a bit at the top end, and gives a bunch of room for the 2nd - 3rd tier RB's to slot in under them.

It doesn't do much of anything for a 28+ year old RB's but they're cooked regardless, ain't nothing fixing that. Best you can do is let them have a real free agency when they're 25 and get a shot at a real 2nd payday.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

If you draft a back, play him for three or four years then decline the 5th year and cut him who is going to be lining up to give him a 3+ year contract for real money

I mean what would Josh Jacobs be worth on the open market right now? That's basically what we're looking at.

Dude put up 1653 / 12 at a 4.9 average in year 4. I'd say it makes sense to throw a ~3 year contract at him with the guarantees in the first two years at say, probably above Diontae Johnson or Hunter Renfrow money.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The rams roster is something absurd with like 40 rookies going into their camp.

They're basically Stafford / Kupp / Donald, a pair of tackles and basically everyone else is a day 3 draft pick from the last few drafts. It's wild.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh that says $50m and not $20m like I speed read it as.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In a slight defense, Tight ends take years upon years to get going typically. Most of them don't break out into stars until year like 4-5 and put up years 1-3 like Cole Kmet there.

That said, a whole bunch don't and you might've just made a Jonnu Smith level mistake.

This is mostly just an argument for not drafting TE's that highly and an argument for overpaying them in free agency

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Speaking of WR's lighting things up

https://twitter.com/DeAndreHopkins/status/1684383096261562368

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Boys have a... reasonably comparable roster, but just imagine having faith in McCarthy.

Also Giants or Football Team? Lol, nah.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PFF "math" of how good Ben projects each team's pass blocking to be. Which man, lmao if the Pats are projected to have the 8th best.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1684228663343022081

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just wanna know what Jordan Roos did to deserve a 1 pass block rating.

He played 200 offensive snaps last year and is credited by PFF with no penalties or sacks allowed.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Joe Burrow down and grabbing his calf, being looked at by trainers.

They're bringing out the horse execution screens, RIP.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man I was shitposting because they're not even in pads or anything, but that probably looks like the season

https://twitter.com/Trags/status/1684654836736839680

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's down for awhile before they call a cart out.

I mean it's possible it's a cramp, but c'mon, not even Paul Pierce would....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who's the Bengals backup QB?

Team Trevor

Siemian.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

BY THE TIME YOU FINISH READING THIS I WILL BE DANCING IN THE ENDZONE

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1684984752770560019

They signed him 3 days ago.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I presume the trade comp would be a 2nd, as it is a situation where multiple teams have shown they extremely value RB's pick wise (Falcons, Lions, 49ers) and 3 think they have ones worth a Franchise tag, and there's a few others still making real money (Chubb, Henry) so there are teams that value good young RB's out there, which Taylor is.

... so I will be unsurprised by anything between a 1st and nobody wants to trade for him because he wants an actual contract.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He remembers when he had Marshall Faulk paired with Peyton Manning as a rookie and it went terribly, obviously it was the smart thing to get rid of Marshall Faulk. <Turns and stares directly at the camera>

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Sando's QB Tiers article is up: https://archive.ph/tFwYF

Tier 1:
1) Patrick Mahomes
2) Joe Burrow
3) Josh Allen
4) Aaron Rodgers
5) Justin Herbert

Tier 2:

6) Jalen Hurts
7) Lamar Jackson
8) Trevor Lawrence
9) Dak Prescott
10) Matthew Stafford
11) Deshaun Watson
12) Kirk Cousins

Tier 3

13) Kyler Murray
14) Derek Carr
15) Jared Goff
16) Russell Wilson
17) Tua Tagovailoa
18) Jimmy Garoppollo
19) Daniel Jones
20) Geno Smith
21) Justin Fields
22) Ryan Tannehill
23) Mac Jones

Tier 4:

24) Brock Purdy
25) Kenny Pickett
26) Jordan Love
26) Baker Mayfield
28) Sam Howell
29) Desmond Ridder
30) Gardner Minshew

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

The Colts can play as hardball with Taylor as they want it seems. He really has no recourse.

Yep. Even if Taylor's great this year? They just franchise him and offer him an insulting deal that's just the FT + garbage.

He's got no leverage, the Colts will control him until he's almost certainly busted and lucky to get $4m a year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's see....

Probably fired with a bad year:

Staley
Stefanski
Rivera
Saleh
Bowles
Allen
McDaniels
Arthur Smith

Less likely to be fired, but still could be:

Vrabel
Campbell
Eberflus

Could see a world where they retire:

Carroll, Belichick

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I bet the Cardinals fire Peewee Herman if they only win 1 game and have the top pick the following year.

Yeah, I didn't list out any of the first year guys, because they should be safe... but yeah, if anyone's 1 and done it's probably Gannon.

Hizawk posted:

Campbell and Holmes are completely safe no matter how bad the Lions are this year, short of committing actual crimes.

I don't think it's likely at all, but if the Lions really faceplant this year, I could see him going. Same with Eberflus if Fields doesn't turn into anything and Vrabel if they just completely melted down. I don't think it's necessarily the smart thing to do, it's just hard to keep a guy into year 4 or beyond if they put up like 4 wins.

fartknocker posted:

Belichick isn’t retiring until he passes Shula.

Grittybeard posted:

Andy Reid is getting up there a bit in years so that's a theoretical possibility I suppose.

He's also having the most fun he's ever had coaching so, you know, probably not, but I could imagine it happening.

For both Carroll & Belichick I just look at how, in a job full of curmudgeonly old fucks who worked until they died... nobody's ever started a season as an NFL head coach over age 72. Just really hard for me to get past that. Andy's "only" 65, so while I doubt he'll make it to 2030, I don't see him going while life's this good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Belichick coaching 3-4 more years just to break a record probably doesn’t align with Kraft’s timeline if they’re a .500 team the next couple years.

I think that whole thing is nonsense sports radio fluff and Kraft has no timeline beyond scheduling when his dick gets sucked.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh I do only expect like 5-6 vacancies, I just figured when they rattled off like 10 guys, like yeah there's probably about 10 guys who could realistically be fired each year. Just a bunch of them don't crash and burn.

Like Dorsey... theoretically could be fired, but it's hard to imagine the Bills sucking that bad without Josh Allen getting injured, and if he gets injured, Dorsey's probably safe due to that injury. Just hard to see them failing to get to at least like 8 wins otherwise.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All of humanity dies because they need some earth but they're stuck on field turf.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the XFL kickoff might need a few tweaks, but they absolutely should switch to it. It makes the kickoff into a for real football play again, without the car crash aspect

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pretty sure BroBible is what gave us the leaked Patriots Johnny Manziel draft file, which had enough real touches that I suspect it was actually real.

Outlaw Bloodlines :vince:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Judon was having a quiet hold-in and it worked, got a raise this year. He was making ~$12.5 so probably got a little more raw money and some incentives to make up that $18m I guess.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1687596216819785728

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I want to taser anyone who reports training camp stats.