Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I did something very dumb and I'm trying to untangle it.

Problem description: I recently upgraded from Mojave to Ventura. When I was doing so I was having trouble finding the disk space for the new OS so in a move that I was somehow permitted to do, I initially installed it on an external HD. (Obviously this created a boot disk that was so slow as to be effectively unusable so I fixed that as soon as I could.)

At first I thought this had wiped out all the data I'd stored there, but no, that's all there on a separate volume, that's called "My Passport for Mac- Data" that doesn't show up in Finder unless I use a Disk Utility and is apparently nonwritable.

Attempted fixes: This struck me as a bad solution so I migrated the data from there to the new volume that installing the OS created. Unfortunately this doubles the size, leaving me with very little room for anything new, so I thought "well I'll port everything over and erase the data volume." (After making backups of the stuff I absolutely could not afford to lose under any circumstances, of course.)

But I can't erase that volume! I can't even unmount it because it's in use by some core processes (securityd is the one it's pointing to now and that's related to the kernel stuff which keeps the CPU from exploding.)

I also likely wasted 50 bucks on an HD recovery thing because I thought I'd erased it and restored things that way, but that didn't even port everything so I used the DIsk Utility to open the Data volume in Finder and ported the rest manually. (With some exceptions because some apps were too dang big and I can redownload apps anyway.)

Recent changes: As I said this began with an upgrade from Mojave to Ventura, and it's because I made the incredible decision to install the new OS on the external HD because my internal HD did not have enough drive space. This is entirely me being a fuckup.

--

Operating system: Mac OS Ventura 13.4.1, 64 bit

System specs: MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3. Total GB for storage is 121 GB, 60 GB free since I deleted the Windows partition. External HD is a My Passport with 1.4 TB of capacity, currently 1.37 in use. (Some of this is devoted to a WindowsBoot for when I had/have a Win partition.)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I have googled many things but I am not sure what FAQ or Google would apply because this error is... unique.

So yeah my goal is to either be able to delete the Data volume, having moved what I need to the other "My Passport" volume, or keep the Data volume and have it writable so I don't need to have stuff on the other volume, and I would like to be able to do this without deleting data. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: Followed the template this time.

EDIT: I mean obviously the solution is to buy another external drive and transfer data from one to the other and yeah that's what I should do but that does cost money

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but could you connect that external HD to another machine and just completely wipe it?

Or maybe you don't have enough space to temporarily store all your data on the laptop itself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but could you connect that external HD to another machine and just completely wipe it?

Or maybe you don't have enough space to temporarily store all your data on the laptop itself.

Yeah the laptop has a tiny HD which is why I have so much on the external drive to start with. Getting another drive would also probably be a good idea, more backups and all.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
It only has to cost money temporarily if you keep the receipt! It is the solution though, yes. Pester a techish friend we have so many drives laying around. poo poo even a bare drive and a usb to sata adapter would work for this.

There may be some corestorage commands or hfs poo poo we can attempt but all your eggs are in this basket.