Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

i found an iphone 14 pro about 15 feet down in a lake this weekend. i have no idea how long it was there but it powered on after charging. it’s locked, no siri, no emergency contacts, no medical id.

called apple they said turn it into the police (nah). dropped by the apple store and the person there said officially that’s what they’re supposed to say but he doesn’t trust cops either. went to my carrier and they couldn’t do anything.

i’m out of ideas but some goon out there must have some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Supposedly 26% of iphones can be opened with one of these passwords

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

it only lets you try so many. i’ve got 2 tries left before it might erase.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Can you post on local facebook or reddit groups? Say the location and model, get them to tell you the wallpaper

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

oh that’s mine you can send it to me ty

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Power cycle it and see what cell company shows up in the top of the screen when it connects to the network. Take it to one of their shops or call their customer service line and see if they'll do anything with it besides refer you to police.

Now that it's out of the water and can see GPS and cell networks the owner may hit Find My iPhone, which will ring it and display contact information on the screen so keep an eye on it.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Dang was it in a case, or are Iphones legit waterproof now? Either way good on you for trying to do the right thing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
iPhone 14 Pros are rated IP68 and Apple says that they should be fine in up to six meters of water for at least 30 minutes. If it were something particularly valuable like a wedding ring, you can try contacting the lake management / ranger office, or even local dive shops (they often have bounty boards). However, since the owner probably wrote off their phone when they dropped it, they probably aren't looking for it and that won't be helpful. It's possible that finding out the phone name by connecting it to a computer might be helpful, but most likely it's just going to be called "iPhone" or "John's phone" and not leave you with much. If you take it to Apple or an electronics depot they'll recycle it, and if you take it to the police they'll compare it to a list of reported lost / stolen items and then probably auction it for reuse.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Way too much effort but hey if you want to really go down the rabbit hole.

I haven't done this with an iPhone but if you know a computer forensics or data recovery person have them rip an image and then grep/search using a hex editor through the (even encrypted) rips for personally identifiable information.

I've done this on MacBooks/MacOS and pulled personal information out of the EncryptedRoot.plist.wipekey file which contained <string>owner's name</string> and a few other places. I'm assuming it might, might work on an iPhone but haven't played with one.

Getting the phone image may require special kit or a lot of time on weird tech forums and Linux distros.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

i abandoned this thread once i got the serial number by factory resetting it and apple still refused to do anything.

this morning a guy shows up to the door and says his daughter’s phone has been showing up here for the last 2 weeks. i connected the dots and we put in the key code proving it was theirs.

he was about in tears because not only did they not have it insured, but the case’s pop socket was somehow related to his daughter’s deceased friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Faustian Bargain posted:

i abandoned this thread once i got the serial number by factory resetting it and apple still refused to do anything.

this morning a guy shows up to the door and says his daughter’s phone has been showing up here for the last 2 weeks. i connected the dots and we put in the key code proving it was theirs.

he was about in tears because not only did they not have it insured, but the case’s pop socket was somehow related to his daughter’s deceased friend.

What a wonderful ending to this story! Congrats, I’m so glad it worked out.