Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

I'm a night watchman at a care home for the cognitively disabled. Been doing that for 10 years now. I mostly watch movies on TCM and play videogames. Sometimes I have to clean up poop and pee, then it's back to movies and videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ape Fist posted:

i write legal software

I bet writing illegal software pays a lot better.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

more like what don't i do??

:wink:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

bossy lady posted:

I think this video sums up what most goons (incl. me) do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfQr_FKHkw

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

TK8325 posted:

I'm a night watchman at a care home for the cognitively disabled. Been doing that for 10 years now. I mostly watch movies on TCM and play videogames. Sometimes I have to clean up poop and pee, then it's back to movies and videogames.

Along the same lines, I work at a day center for developmemtally disabled adults. I spend most of my days coloring, watching wrestling, and listening to the Grease soundtrack, while also trying to prevent violence and bloodshed from breaking out at any moment. Also a lot of worrying about how clean these hands are that are constantly grabbing at everything.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I develop quality systems for a payment processing company. Love my job.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Before I left my career I was a chemist working for the USDA testing stuff for pesticides. Mostly for farmers. It was pretty fun, most of the other chemists didn't consider sitting in front of a computer looking at graphs all day fun though, oh well more graphs for me am I right???

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nobody knows, including me. I just pretend to look busy and annoyed for 8 hours and then go home. I'm also way past the point where it would be appropriate to ask so I'm just rolling with it until something gives

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I am paid by a mysterious donor to visit a specific resturant 5 times a week at 11:30, walk in and ask whoever is at table 3 "Hey, aren't you that guy?" That's it. Then I go home and check the money transfer was completed.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

GABA ghoul posted:

Nobody knows, including me. I just pretend to look busy and annoyed for 8 hours and then go home. I'm also way past the point where it would be appropriate to ask so I'm just rolling with it until something gives

More or less this. I've made peace with the fact that I'll one day I'll be called in a meeting with two guys named Bob and one asks what I do here and I'll be shown the door. I'm too old to re-train.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i live in a shoe

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Fiber optic and copper cable splicer for one of the big telcos. It pays very well for someone with no college (thank you, labor unions!) I have been there for 22 years, a few more and I've got a 401k and pension coming to me.

It's a pretty good job as far as jobs go; it's skilled blue collar work I guess you could call it? I get dirty and sweaty jumping into manholes and getting into a bucket truck, but there is a lot of easy work once I start the actual splicing. We use a $10K machine that uses electricity to fuse thinner than hair strands of glass to each other that can transport many hundreds of Gb/s worth of data. It's pretty neat.

I rarely have to talk to customers, I get to work alone, we're fairly autonomous, and I have an air conditioned trailer that I get to use most of the time when I'm outside after the dirty work is done.

When I first hired on with the company I was a central office (think data center) tech and it was completely inside work, but the dot com bust and changing technology meant that I had to find another position. I then became the guy that would come to your house and fix your internet and / or land line. During my five years stint of that; I broke my femur, had a seizure and broke my wrist, got bitten by a dog, stung by multiple wasps and bees, got poison ivy rash multiple times, and was just run ragged working 50+ hours a week, usually six days a week.

I like my current job way more.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

neato burrito posted:

I get dirty and sweaty jumping into manholes

I do this too but in a different way

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Artisanal cheese wrapping. Those rinds to wind themselves

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I've worked at two drug and alcohol rehabs in the past as a clinical technician but recently made the switch to a non profit that focuses more on recovery coaching. A few days a week I'm in a local hospital where I get to chat with people who have been admitted to the ER for doing too much of their drug of choice (after they're stabilized, of course).

I've been sober now for 3 years and it feels good to work in the community and give back :)

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
i sell weed for the government :canada:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i edit tv shows, mostly comedy/(other genre) hybrids, and finding it hard to get jobs on un-hybridized comedy shows so i do short comedy films for free outside of work with people i know.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
ur mom

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

:wave:
Third shift here

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

:wave:
Third shift here

When do we get PTO?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Airline operations so I can afford to travel as much as I want

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
OP I'm sorry you never got to get your revenge on that horse there's nothing quite like suplexing a horse through a table to win a title belt.

I am admin support for social workers in my county - either adults with physical disabilities, the elderly, or people in care homes. I'm learning to drive and once I do I'm going to step up to become a "babby social worker" they call an adult support coordinator. Until then I just answer calls and emails, take messages, collate information and minute meetings but I'll get there one day. :)

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

lotta goons in social work or adjacent fields

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Accounting for a jenkem cartel

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i run a small business doing electronic design and small-scale prototyping. it's small enough that it's just me and 1 other person full-time, and handling stuff like accounting/IT/etc. all kind of falls under the same umbrella. It's not what I thought I would end up doing but it's kind of neat to handle multiple different kinds of tasks on a regular basis, and I get a relatively large amount of personal freedom (if I need to pop over to the supermarket for something and it's not busy at the moment there's nothing stopping me, for example)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Extra row of tits posted:

Ages ago I asked what drove your constant need for attention that led you to make so many stupid threads. I honestly never considered it was actual brain damage. It’s like a far side joke come to life.

Lotta people in this thread really buying that horse kick story. It was actually fetal alcohol syndrome.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I have a "bullshit" job in that I do not produce an actual product but convince and cajole others to do so to a compliant level.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TK8325 posted:

lotta goons in social work or adjacent fields

sounds like poo poo yeah

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Testikles posted:

I have a "bullshit" job in that I do not produce an actual product but convince and cajole others to do so to a compliant level.

reported

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
*hisses in corporate speak*

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I clock in at 8AM then spend the rest of the day browsing YouTube or twitch or something, and going out with my wife to go shopping or to eat or whatever. Rarely I might be required to push a few buttons on my browser (usually done via google chrome remote on my phone while we're out doing stuff).

Which is to say that I work in product support

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I post and play Morrowind and get paid pretty well to do it. My company accidentally hired me ~14 months before my position was really necessary. Maybe I'll have stuff to do in October? :shrug:

Sid Vicious posted:

straight up i was building a snowfort and my mom left me to go do some work inside the barn and some big rear end horse came and reared up and kicked me it caused a contracoup TBI and so i habe really bad impulse control and emotional control problems as well as dyspraxia and aphantasia and probably autism but that might just be comorbid with all the other brain stuff and not because of it

If only your snowfort had been stronger the horse wouldn't have been able to do poo poo to you.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Did nine years of maintenance work for a non-profit. I’d sometimes have to work outside in the AZ summer heat or crawl through some nasty places and get sweaty and filthy, but I enjoyed it. I love working with my hands and repairing/creating things with tools, and I was drat good at it.

Now I sit alone in my own misery and crippling depression at home, unemployed and unwanted. Woot :toot:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
All these years I thought Sid had a carefree and naive posting persona but it turns out he was brain damaged all along. Huh, TIL

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
same old thing - paying off the fuzz, breakin' in the new talent, tryin' to get those stubborn-rear end stains off my suit.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I work in pension support for a big old corporation. Chaching.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How old was the horse, Sid? My mom's horse made it to 36. It could still be out there. Be careful.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ninjoatse.cx posted:

All these years I thought Sid had a carefree and naive posting persona but it turns out he was brain damaged all along. Huh, TIL

things can be two things

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i deal dice. here is the actual optimal way to play dice:

bet the don't pass line and lay max odds. that's it. if you have a lot of money you can bet the don't come and lay max odds behind too. ideally you want a table with a low minimum bet and high max odds, sometimes you can find $15/100X. the house edge on this is about 0.014%. it is very boring, it is a good way to lose all your money very quickly to the sort of swing that happens multiple times a day unless you have an insanely large bankroll, and it will also annoy other players at the table. it will additionally annoy the dealers a lot unless you make your lays proper (and even then on say a $25 game they're gonna be stumped on $24,996 max lay on the 6 or 8. it will slow down the game a ton)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
it's dice to meet you