Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Smugworth posted:

I run OnlyGoons.com

Gonna dust off an old chestnut here but...

Ew. That's gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
I'm a certified emergency veterinary technician

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I really wanted to be a vet when I was younger.

I just don't have the stomach for it.

I took a few classes in high-school, but I'm so grateful for everyone who can deal with an actual emergency.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I tell people that making games isn't as fun as playing games but I suppose since you paid $30,000 to the university I'll teach you how to do it I guess (sighing, rolling eyes, etc)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Time thief

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mst4k posted:

Time thief

Bureaucrat?

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

mst4k posted:

Time thief

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I was thinking

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

if you son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cause he’s hungry and the only way to feed him is sleep with a man for a little bit of money and his daddy’s gone somewhere smoking rock now in and outta lock down I ain’t got a job now so for you this is just a good time but for me this is what I call life mmm

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I sing, dance and do some other unimportant things in a small, off-broadway show called the aristocrats. Goons are welcome and encouraged to come audition to work with our troop!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

cGDP/cGMP are a motherfucker and people who've never worked with them have no comprehension of what it is

Just to add, biggest tell in this line of work...

FAX IT TO ME!

People always ask why fax is still a thing, because OMG encrypted emails are the worst thing in the world.

I have a dedicate fax line to a dedicated fax machine in my home office that I installed during COVID and just keep because OMG gently caress encrypted emails!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Three Olives posted:

Just to add, biggest tell in this line of work...

FAX IT TO ME!

People always ask why fax is still a thing, because OMG encrypted emails are the worst thing in the world.

I have a dedicate fax line to a dedicated fax machine in my home office that I installed during COVID and just keep because OMG gently caress encrypted emails!

One time someone took autoclaved paperwork, stamped with a lot number and approved by the customer and multiple national regulatory agencies, that had already been written on with indelible ink with cleanroom pens out of an aseptic cleanroom on accident. They were supposed to take one sheet out with them but they took 4, 3 of which were critical paperwork for the cleanroom.
They justified putting it in an autoclave bag and spraying it in with IPA and 6% peroxide and waiting for contact times because nobody handled it with bare hands.
The person who sprayed it in took it out of the autoclave bag and sprayed it with alcohol and peroxide, then 6 hours later on the next shift the customer and regulatory agencies decided to go ahead and print + stamp a page XX (2), authorized the stamp on the phone watching QA on the cameras and everything. Really critical stuff is still very much done in an oldschool way, because it has to be that way.
6 months later I had to work on reconciling that batch record because, "[Qwerty] you know all their handwriting, decode whatever the hell that thing is that has your name as the most legible signature."

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Solid 32% here. :hmmyes:

Before I got into show biz I sluiced like over 19,000 tons of gold, bought a bank that is actively paying reparations, opened a brokerage, started a small country.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I am a software engineer/dev ops.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 26, 2023

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mst4k posted:

Time thief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Zr_C74DQU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Still picking stuff up and putting them down.

Also sorting things to make sure night crews jobs go easier (they probably still won't do it)

A lot of shelves need to be cleaned, and if I can find the time, I'll do that. Nasty rear end people leaving thier Starbucks everywhere making a big sticky mess.

I like the manual labor tho, who needs a gym membership.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Still killin’ bugs for money. Year 20, goddamn.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

Still killin’ bugs for money. Year 20, goddamn.

What's the weirdest bug you ever killed

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Smugworth posted:

Ooo, good question.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Smugworth posted:

A scorpion the size of a crawdad in an apartment, which was cool and I should have captured it instead of blasting it with FastCap. I tend to let the weird ones live, since they aren’t the household pests that actually cause problems.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Some 4 in monster cockroach in North Carolina.

I honestly have no idea what it actually was, I'd just moved there.

But it scared the poo poo out of me when I went to get a glass of water.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Basically this.

And a little bit of this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Systems engineer. It's kind of like engineering minus the engineering. Current job is cool because I'm typically looking at 4-8 systems at any given time, and a lot of them are some pretty neat stuff. On the other hand a project rarely lasts more than a year or so, so I kind of miss getting to be a real expert on something like I was at my previous job.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Systems engineer. It's kind of like engineering minus the engineering. Current job is cool because I'm typically looking at 4-8 systems at any given time, and a lot of them are some pretty neat stuff. On the other hand a project rarely lasts more than a year or so, so I kind of miss getting to be a real expert on something like I was at my previous job.

What's the weirdest system you ever killed

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
i investigate financial crimes, run BSA scans, and monitor for money-laundering for a fintech. it's easily the best job i've ever had

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Smugworth posted:

What's the weirdest system you ever killed

Whoever designed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARINC_429 made some strange choices.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
By day I buy up all the affordable housing in your neighborhood and jack up the rents. By night I basically do the same thing but for airbnbs where you like to go on vacation. I don’t really need the money so it’s more like a hobby I guess.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Treecko posted:

Some 4 in monster cockroach in North Carolina.

I honestly have no idea what it actually was, I'd just moved there.

But it scared the poo poo out of me when I went to get a glass of water.

That’s just a palmetto bug.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
I do DevOps for a cloud service provider, though it's much more Ops than Dev. And a lot of hand holding of Devs on how to make their services Op better, so as to make my life easier.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

almost1337 posted:

I do DevOps for a cloud service provider, though it's much more Ops than Dev. And a lot of hand holding of Devs on how to make their services Op better, so as to make my life easier.

I joined a DevOps org as more of a Dev than an Ops and far as I can tell all you Ops people are just as moronic as the Devs.

I call myself a platform engineer to distinguish myself from you cretins :hehe:

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Computer toucher. I work regionally now, so I travel around almost every weekday, but I am usually home by noon and finish my day as wfh. It pays well and I am much happier than when I was sitting in an office all day every day at our main site for more than a decade.

It also affords me the ability to get my daughter off of the school bus every day and skip after school care, so that rules.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Panic, mostly

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
i test pharmaceuticals and other related things at a third party certification company for regulatory purposes

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I am on disability because my endocrine system has been trying to kill me for years. Before that I was a systems analyst in the insurance field. I have also been a ski instructor, a chairlift operator, a model, a professional musician, a music teacher, a florist, and a girl Friday at a High Sierra fishing camp. Nowadays I don’t do much because it hurts to be upright for extended periods. I crochet and make a lot of awesome soups. I’m getting a shoulder replacement next Friday so I might be able to do more stuff.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I smoke weed and watch the birds mostly.

During the less fun hours, I clean HVAC ducting for commercial and residential.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm an SDET, which stands for "software development engineer in test", which basically feels like QA engineering with a fancier title.

Toxic Mental posted:

if you son was at home, crying all alone on the bedroom floor cause he’s hungry and the only way to feed him is sleep with a man for a little bit of money and his daddy’s gone somewhere smoking rock now in and outta lock down I ain’t got a job now so for you this is just a good time but for me this is what I call life mmm

That's "would", not "do", nerd :colbert:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I write business proposals for a megacorp. I actually like it a lot, just hate all of the bureaucracy inherent with large companies.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'm a software architect in silicon valley :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

remigious posted:

I write business proposals for a megacorp. I actually like it a lot, just hate all of the bureaucracy inherent with large companies.

Internal or external?