Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think less than $3M is easy money to secure one of the best kickers in the league when your QB is gonna be cheap as poo poo for the next few years, but I'll concede that might have been a slightly harder decision this summer than it seems like today.

Like after the QB, the kicker is the next most important position on the team for scoring points and you gotta score points to win games. Adding $3M a year to win one more game a season is a discount. And here we have a perfect example where a better kicker probably wins us a game we instead lost.

They never even made Gould an offer. There was no attempt to restructure his contract. He's still a free agent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not his fault, but Conner got his shot in Pittsburgh when noted adherent to The Run Mr. Le'Veon Bell held out for a whole year, completely torpedoing his career because lol you can run your amazingly good RB into the ground and not pay him in the NFL, that's just how things are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pretty obvious cmc was playing hurt but mitchell didn't get anything going on his uh, what, two carries either? Purdy was fine except for interceptions. At least one, I think Jennings was cut off when he was making his break in towards the center of the field and the refs didn't call it even though they were on the niners secondary for illegal contact all game.

Frankly it was near miraculous how few penalties the vikings drew.

This is part of kirk cousins though. He has amazing games and terrible games. And halves. You just can't count on him being bad, although he's definitely capable of being bad. He was pressured several times, just no sacks, he got the ball out just in time every time.

all that said, obviously this is it, end of the niners season, end of brock purdy's career, he is a fraud, all is dust etc. etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Poor tackling was a standout feature of the niners defense last night. Also that lost wrestle for nearly an interception that was a TD instead, was a case of trying for the ball instead of taking the tackle. High risk/high reward. The niners are normally very good against the run and last night the vikings effectively ran the ball: again, I saw a lot of missed tackles.

e. Hufanga got 7 tackles and was on fire, he was an exception, but even he couldn't get to kirk cousins on at least two blitzes that I recall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am very very calm.

On one of Purdy's picks I'm pretty sure Jennings was no-call held or at least an illegal contact that prevented him from being where Purdy expected him to get to as he released the ball, but I haven't seen an angle on it that shows his whole route on the youtube recaps.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's the bengals, maybe sam darnold can beat them anyway

weirder things have happened

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if they just run the ball the whole game it'll be fine right

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Regardless of Purdy's play and the bad defensive playcalling, I also continue to see way too many missed tackles, including by normally reliable superhumans such as fred warner.

Hufanga's an exception. 8 tackles and 2 assists. Ask why the safety is getting so goddamn many tackles, it's because the opponent's offense is consistently getting past the linemen and linebackers and deep into the secondary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if everyone on the cards is trying their hardest and they still only win one or two games all season, doesn't that suggest that getting the first overall pick mayyyy not be enough to turn them into a competitive team?

Like that's always the cloud around which the silver lining of top pick is wrapped. Lots and lots of bad teams have stayed bad after drafting first overall.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leonard Williams is a 29 year old nine-year vet with 39.5 sacks and 239 tackles in 132 games. He's fine, not a pro bowl guy but certainly not a liability either.

e. actually he was pro bowl 2016-17 season, so that's not bad but a long time ago.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 30, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

he's a 2020 2nd overall draft pick who spend half of 2021 and almost all of 2022 on IR or working back from injury. Rookie stats look reasonable, with 7.5 sacks 32 tackles and 10 assists. This season he has five sacks in seven games (he did not play in week 1). Seems like a guy with a ton of upside if he can stay healthy, well worth a 3rd round pick, and coming in before the bye so he'll have some time to integrate.

However I would be a lot more excited if the 49ers did something to shore up the OL ahead of the trade deadline.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I believe in them, in that I do not think their existence is mythical.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol that's like an obviously made up on the spot name

<sweating profusely> oh yeah we absolutely have a fourth string QB... His name? Uh... uh... desk, no no, rug, trash can, oh! Yeah I got it, his name is Chesterfield... Victory, yeah. Good ol Chesty V. Scrappy. Good hands. Solid. Very real.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's often scheme, e.g. on the DC. Warner's probably in his assigned zone. I'm not saying you're wrong, exactly, but it may be that what you're asking for is Warner to ignore the play call.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if Achane gets healthy the Dolphins are also a monster running game (because of ex-49 staff and RBs, plus Achane)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

They also have Mostert.

yeah, s'what I meant - they have ex-niners RBs including Mostert and Wilson, plus Mike McDaniel.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Welcome,,,,,,, Carson Wentz

Toaster Beef posted:

(thx to leperflesh for inspiring a piece of this)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think popularity really does matter for HOF votes, especially for non-QBs, and being an unlikeable weirdo does hurt any player's chances.

DBs honored by the HOF:
https://futurefootballlegends.com/PositionGroup/Defensive_Backs/
"Since 1980, there have been 24 Modern-Era Defensive Backs honored by the Hall of Fame" so a little more than one every two years. In addition to Sherm on the 2027 list, the 2026 list has Tramon Williams (way down at the bottom, doubt he gets a nod) and the 2028 list has Devin McCourty and Byron Jones, but the list is super short so more DBs could go on it.

I think Sherm has a shot at a first or more likely second ballot HOF spot during that three year period and I doubt Earl Thomas gets any shot at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Nah, he was and is absolutely correct for doing that. They wouldn't pay him or trade him, told him to play if he wanted to earn one, and the leg break came on game 4 https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/01/earl-thomas-middle-finger-seattle-seahawks-nfl-leg-fracture

It was maybe the last understandable thing he did, but it was understandable nonetheless. It's almost 2024, the "management is in the right on all contract holdouts always" mentality needs to die a long-overdue death

yeah that broken leg cost him many millions of dollars because he didn't get to hit free agency healthy and coming off a pro bowl season like he might otherwise have, and that's the risk that the team forced on him

what was wrong though was flipping off his teammates, the whole bench, everyone though, it came off like he was mad at the whole group. Maybe he was, I dunno. But it's team management to blame there, not the other players.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's supposed to rain tonight through into saturday but be clear sunday, I have concerns over the state of the field.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat, Hufanga has been flying all over the field, blitzing, making tackles and being cool as heck. Really really sucks to lose him.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 21, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.49ers.com/news/brock-purdy-perfect-passer-rating-stats-and-facts-tbvssf-buccaneers

quote:

• Quarterback Brock Purdy completed 21 of his 25 passing attempts for 333 yards and three touchdowns with a career-high passer rating of 158.3, the highest attainable mark.
  • Purdy's 158.3 passer rating on 25 passing attempts make him the first 49ers quarterback to reach that mark (minimum 20 pass attempts) since Hall of Famer Joe Montana in 1989.
  • With a passer rating of 158.3, Purdy (23-years-old) joins Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson and Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff as the only quarterbacks under the age of 24 in NFL history to attain a passer rating of 158.3.
  • With a passer rating of 148.9 in Week 10 versus the Jacksonville Jaguars and a passer rating of 158.3 vs. Tampa Bay, Purdy became the youngest player in NFL history to post a passer rating of 145.0-or-higher in consecutive starts and the first NFL quarterback to post a passer rating of 145.0-or-higher in consecutive starts since former quarterback Drew Brees in 2018.
  • Purdy also became the first 49ers quarterback to post a passer rating of 140.0-or-higher in consecutive games since quarterback Alex Smith in 2012.
  • Purdy's three touchdown passes give him 18 on the season and 31 in his career. His 76-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk marked the longest touchdown pass of his career and the longest touchdown pass by an NFL quarterback this season.
  • Purdy has registered four career games with three-or-more touchdown passes and a passer rating of 140.0-or-higher, which are the most such games by a player in his first two seasons in NFL history (HOF QB Kurt Warner, three games – 1999).
  • Purdy (15 starts) also became the sixth quarterback in NFL history to post a passer rating of 100-or-higher in 10 of his first 15 career starts (HOF QB Kurt Warner – 11 starts; HOF QB Dan Marino – 10 starts; QB Ben Roethlisberger – 10 starts; Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes – 11 starts; Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott – 11 starts).
  • With 365 passing yards versus the Cincinnati Bengals and 333 passing yards versus the Buccaneers, Purdy became the first 49ers quarterback to throw for 300-or-more yards in consecutive home games since Steve Young in 1998.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

$36 a pound for whole alaskan salmon is a ripoff and I suddenly really appreciate chris collinsworth for throwing shade at seattle, talkin' about buying two fish and it cost him $800

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

So that $800 price tag Collinsworth was talking about was pretty accurate?

at $36 a pound that's 22 pounds of fish, and he said he bought two fish. Alaskan King salmon, head off but otherwise whole, are easily 11lbs each and actually can get twice that at the high end. So that's totally believable that he bought two fish for $800.

So

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

is that some kind of football invocation of the gambler's fallacy?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nervous posted:

2023 is the year of the schedule we deserve, not the schedule we want. So many primetime Jets games :(

Everyone is excited to see the jets piloted by noted superhero a a ron rodgers, we need to schedule all these prime time games with him now that previous chosen golden boy the goat tom brady is retired (probably for real this time)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Somehow get through four quarters and overtime at 0-0. Technically a tie, but we all know they both lost.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

shirts and skins posted:

losing Charbonnet at that exact moment was brutal. DeeJay Dallas is really bad and of course dropped his pass.

untimely injuries and dumb mistakes all season. sometimes the luck just isn't there.

in all fairness it was a very rushed and bad pass

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While watching the cowboys lose in the playoffs is fun, I would prefer the last years of jerry jones' legacy to be a bunch of severely losing records instead. Like two wins a season kinda poo poo.

You know. Like the cards.

e. jerry jones is 81 so if he pulls a kissinger, my comment above stands. 20 years of godawful seasons for dallas would be swell.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was glad to see the forty-niners defeat the eagles in that football game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

1 year ago today: Brock Purdy took over for an injured Jimmy G.

Crazy that it's only been a year. At that time, his ceiling seemed fairly low. He's obviously blown through that at this point. So what is his ceiling now? HOFer? All-pro? Cover boy of Madden?

replacing tom brady as the GOAT after our upcoming seven straight championships

people will talk about brady compared to purdy the way they talk about jordan compared to lebron

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-brock-purdy-not-mvp-trent-williams-18540273.php

"Vote 49ers' Trent Williams for MVP or go to hell," by Drew Magary

as enthusiastically as I join the rest of this thread in supporting and advocating for The Run, I hope we can also rally around the cause of the dominant left tackle. This is tackle football, who is more football than a tackle, I ask you? Nobody, that's who. And Magary makes a compelling case that the niners are only winning when Trent Williams is there. Which is supported by the numbers. I think the tackles are obviously required in order to Establish the Run, too. Where else is the run best, than through a gap in the line forced open by the OL? Nowhere, that's where.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In 2012, Kaep was playing his first starts. He started 7 games that year. He had earned the starting position due to his running ability and arm strength, but he was still very, very raw.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yes indeed seven time pro bowler (five time first team all pro!) motherfucking patrick willis, one of the all time greats

is he in the HOF yet?

and vernon davis at his prime, and navarro bowman whose career was cut short by the perfidious seahawks, and aldon smith in his best season, and five time pro bowler justin smith
the WR core was vernon davis and delanie walker as pass catching TEs and then had michael crabtree... and then... kyle williams, mario manningham, and ted ginn jr.

oh poo poo and randy moss came out of retirement to play one year with the niners in 2012, I totally forgot about that

yeah that team had a lot of talent!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I cannot bring myself to hate the Denver Broncos because they got Vernon his ring.

he deserved one
I wonder how much Kelce studied Vernon Davis.

I remember Vernon Davis going to the olympics to support the US curling team, that just made me love the guy
he's still involved, honorary captain of the mens & womens curling teams
https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/beijing-2022-winter-olympics/heres-how-former-49ers-star-vernon-davis-is-diversifying-curling/1173015/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

Gotta play longer than 5 seasons to get in the hall

indeed

Patrick Willis played seven and a half

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think receivers weren't allowed to wear gloves until some time in the late 80s or early 90s, and they make a huge difference in catching rates. Especially when the ball is wet or cold or both.

Back in the 70s I don't think they had instant replay yet, either. Refs called what they saw, and that was that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I actually thought drew lock looked decent. He was hard to pin down by the pass rush and usually made good decisions with the ball while under pressure. His int at the end of the game was from getting hit while throwing. He felt a bit more decisive than geno smith. I think there's a few teams around the league where lock would actually be an upgrade over their starter.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it wasn't the prettiest or most on target throw but it was the right decision and IMO that's a more important quality in a QB than godlike accuracy. Make fast and decisive good decisions under pressure.

I'm not saying he's a good QB, mind you. But like, if he played a couple more games like that he'd be making his case that he's good enough to not be relegated to permanent third string status in the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I enjoy football games. I don't need there to be a future superbowl in order to enjoy a good game.