Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Oh Benne, a poo poo post tag? :baduk:

Fixed it! :schotty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

After that kind of win, why bother risking a perfect record?

I announce my retirement, undefeated, from video boxing

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lifespan posted:

WR depth seems great

Charbonnet is really fun to watch

Goddamn KING5 is terrible at broadcasting live events

For Whatever Reason, the NFL Gamepass coverage I was watching would flip between the Seahawks and Vikings coverage sometimes from one series to the next. It was weird. No, no option to choose the feed ala MLB/NBA apps.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Al Michaels has definitely checked out though

Al Michaels finally said the thing out loud on TNF though, “how come we play at Levi’s Stadium and all of our bumpers are of 44 miles north?” as a drone shot of the Golden Gate Bridge is on screen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gonz posted:

The Cardinals are the living embodiment of "gently caress the Cowboys", seeing as how they're 7-1 against Dallas in their last 8 games played.

considering how legit decent the Cowboys have been and how...variable...the Cardinals have been, that's hilarious. also karmic retribution for Cowboys fans dominating their stadium for so long.

Waltzing Along posted:

Cowboys/Lakers/Yankees.

The scum of the scum.

as a millennial, these are the bandwagon fans we are honor-bound to harbor nothing but ill will towards.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

I'd pay money to watch a show where Marshawn and Russ are living in the same house and have to find literally anything to talk about outside of football

If y’all haven’t seen yet, the episode of Pablo Torre’s new podcast/show that he did with Nate Tice is predominantly about how weird Russ is

https://youtu.be/AO5EWTs6GyQ

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Bring back the wish bone.

RUN THE drat ‘BONE

algebra testes posted:

The Athletic has an article about Seahawks team meetings

Okay that’s about as good as Saban and his love of “deez nuts” jokes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

in all fairness it was a very rushed and bad pass

Looked like Parsons came in untouched. Unreal.

At least the throwbacks look good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

The wrong loving one :colbert:

:hmmyes:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

We covered the spread, hang that banner :hawksin:

Good teams win, great teams cover :hawksin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coldforge posted:

It’s pretty gd funny, OP.

Watching the Eagles and Chiefs melt down is almost as magical.

Heavens forbid Mahomes may have to play a playoff game on the road at this rate. Unreal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

Never lost faith in my beloved Seattle Football Seahawks

:hawksin:

Drew Lock ain’t been that hyped up since singing along to Jeezy in Denver

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

trilljester posted:

I know the Eagles are a good team but they're kinda having the wheels falling off right now. Hurts definitely wasn't 100% but their defense could not stop Walker at all tonight. Nice win Seahawks, we thank you.

It seems like they aren’t as dominant as last year, yet keep winning.

Well, until December, I guess. Y’all broke ‘em.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/KevG163/status/1738286927747383524

I don't know what's more 80s about this -- the shoulder pads, or the concrete Astroturf, or the giant MARLBORO billboard.

Also shout-out to fullbacks wearing a 40s number. God's football.

Jim Plunkett with a two-bar face mask in TYOOL 1984

trilljester posted:

This was my childhood growing up. I also remember when F1 cars had cigarette sponsors. Yeah, I'm old.

I remember when they couldn’t run the tobacco ads in some countries, which is how I learned what cigarette brands were in other countries.

Also, the bright gently caress-off yellow Camel color scheme is underrated. Rothmans Williams was a decent look too but better on the Group C Porsches. The West McLarens ushered in Ron Dennis’ anodyne sterile corporate look, while the Benson & Hedges Jordans had fun with the look and were also bright yellow.

algebra testes posted:

Sure as gently caress isn't any passing in Modern F1

:vince:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

My first MLB game was at the Kingdome. Griffey hit two dingers, Mariners lost.

Mine as well, I think it was while McGwire was still with the A’s because he hit a dinger over that scoreboard in right field during BP, which happened to be where I was standing at the time.

MakaVillian posted:

I'm not a huge F1 expert but passing has become difficult due to a combination of the size and aerodynamics of the modern cars. One team and driver in particular (Red Bull and Max Verstappen) are nearly unbeatable.

F1 has rarely been as pass-happy or focused as say NASCAR, partially because of road courses, partially because the cars are so divergent in ability; that’s been the way forever. There is actual good battling, it’s just happening for like 5th place or lower and sometimes doesn’t make the broadcast.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

This team is bullshitting its way to a Wild Card blowout loss, but who gives a gently caress :hawksin:

amen

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Also makes F1 seem lame as gently caress.

F1 is a political soap opera with extremely cool engineering, and sometimes an interesting race happens (often because of unscheduled rain)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

Gotta be honest I won't even be mad if Baker Mayfield ends up funslinging all over us

I saw somebody break out the old 'gently caress It I'm Going Deep' Rex Grossman image, seemed pretty appropriate.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What in the world is today

I have no idea what they're going to do to replace Pete in Seattle, but it has a high likelihood of being pretty terrible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

introducing your new seahawks head coach, dan lanning

Extremely confused but not unpleasant

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

god drat did the 49ers really destroy the eagles..

Absolutely stuffed them into a locker

Lifespan posted:

Two things this thread agrees on, the run and apple butter.

That’s right

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Why does Purdy have drat near 40 passing attempts in the pissing rain.

I thought we established the run in these parts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lifespan posted:

The Seahawks are out :eightbux:
They are not in the NFCW :eightbux:
They did a solid for the Seahawks recently :eightbux:
They are not the Cowboys, Patriots, or Packers :eightbux:
They are fun to watch :eightbux:
The official bandwagon winner! Bills were my old bandwagon, but now I am all Lions. Lions beat the Ravens in the Super Bowl plz!

The Lions-Bills Super Bowl is, much like the 2016 World Series, either going to ruin us or snap things back to the main timeline. I'm not sure which, honestly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Niners down 14-0 already? Ruh roh

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Penei Sewell played tight end almost an entire drive, Go Ducks

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What the gently caress is that catch

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

On the other hand, how many NFCCGs have y'all been to in the last 10-11 years? That poo poo ain't zero, and it's twice as many as every other team. I ain't trying to hear it.

It's six since 2011, including now three Super Bowls.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

In this NFL where players almost always play for more than one team, it's petty as hell to hate on a guy who did legendary things for your team just because he played somewhere else. It's the nature of the business. Getting franchise tagged to prevent you from earning what you're worth on the free agency market sucks, actually. Many elite players have to hit that market to make their money in their prime years, and many non-elite players have to hit that market to keep a job at all.

If you want to talk about traitors, look at the team owners who abandoned a city because they wouldn't pay for a multi-billion dollar stadium for their for-profit entertainment company. Most recently Dean Spanos, Stan Kroenke, and Mark Davis. Those guys betrayed their fans. gently caress those guys.

For players, especially considering the nature of the contracts. Not like the more guaranteed NBA or MLB contracts.

And yep, I really wish American sports teams weren’t rich people’s playthings. And I know it’s gonna be annoying to see some old white dude lifting the Lombardi trophy first, like they deserve any of the loving credit.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Hot rumours that Ex Niners HC Chip Kelly gonna be Hawks OC.

Lol.

Lmao.

I’m not sure why he’d leave UCLA as HC to be a pro OC. After getting fired makes sense, but it didn’t feel like he was on the hot seat last year. Feels off to me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I thought getting his poo poo wrecked by Cal he was only saved by thumping USC.

I could go check but I don’t think Chip’s name came up during the SZD coach rumor shows at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

There’s been speculation that more college HCs might be jumping to the nfl even as an OC/DC since recruiting/transfer portal/NIL stuff has turned college coaching into a constant grind and this way they can just coach some ball

The Boston College coach just did this going to the Packers and claimed this and…well maybe, or maybe he was quitting before getting fired next year.

Funny enough, SZD’s main show touched on Chip Kelly in this week’s episode, it sounds like it’s wish-casting by people around UCLA more than interest Chip himself has. Richard Johnson at least doesn’t think there’s much to it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ya do think it’s overstated now but wouldn’t be surprised if it was more of a phenomenon in a couple years

This goes hand in hand with college programs then trying to build up more of a player personnel role to help manage rosters, too. But that’s also all within a very shifting landscape.

Meanwhile, NFL owners are telling on themselves again: https://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/nfl-owners-complain-diversity-hires-compensatory-18653843.php

quote:

>>> “We know he can hire well and diverse; in fact, owners have complained to the league office about the sheer number of compensatory picks the 49ers have received for serving as a pipeline for coaches and executives of color,” Wickersham wrote.

>>> The Niners had the maximum amount of compensatory picks in the 2023 NFL Draft with seven. Three of those — all third-round selections — were awarded because of the NFL’s minority hiring incentive. It’s a process that began in 2020 in which the NFL awards teams picks for losing minority coaches, or top executives, to another team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

So it's not just that the 49ers hire minorities, it turns them into good enough coaches that they get poached by other teams who need them, and that gives the niners compensatory picks

amazing

it's almost, like, almost as if those people were already talented and got passed over by those same other teams because of their skin color

Uh huh

It’s almost like when some colleges started losing more in the 1970s because of their recruiting habits. Even the Bear had to change it up eventually.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

What's the NFL equivalent of drawing walks? A valuable skill that the NFL media largely ignores?

I'd go with thrown at% for DBs. Its a defensive stat, I know.

I think the discussion was on Bomani's podcast earlier this week (the episode with Nate Tice?) but a parallel or equivalent to OBP sounds like the analytics dorks have already decided that WR drops don't matter, because a valuable receiver 1. can get balls that shouldn't be caught (I think Brandon Marshall was pointed to as an example) and 2. when they do make a catch, it outweighs the value lost from the drops.

it's hard to draw a perfect comparison because baseball and football are so different, and football lags behind in the data/analytics sense as well.

Mustached Demon posted:

Pete Rose being banned in today's sports world is stupid as well.

nah, they're still bouncing people in various leagues for betting on their own teams, and for the cover-up not the crime in general.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Honestly, they should draft Bo Nix if they can.

Fixed it for ya

Benne posted:

Keep Geno, fix the defense, get better in the margins, hope the young guys keep improving. There's a path back to the playoffs if Macdonald knows what he's doing.

This is the way

Also any Hawks fans with Pete Carroll avatars wanting an update (hi Benne) holler at your local friendly mod :hawksin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

Yeah, there is no other scenario as good as what happened. The likelihood of the Seahawks winning a Super Bowl or a deep playoff was almost nothing. Russ making that ridiculous "Broncos Country" video, destroying their franchise, Geno doing something cool for a bit, and now getting around to a real reset was just about as much as I could have hoped for as a fan

And the last two years it’s not like the Seahawks had 2 wins each year, they were frisky both seasons. It’s a transition, and the further “ripping off the bandage” moves enforce that, so it’s time to find fun in development and growth instead of raw “did we win Super Bowl y/n” like the Niners face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Play posted:

maybe we're all just bicurious rugby fans in denial

Have you heard the good word about Australian football, friends?

https://youtu.be/Lp9a6ex7RJQ

https://youtu.be/D8O0SvQbC5w

And the best part is the season is in the first third right now, and runs through the dry times until the end of September. I think they still air games on FS1/FS2 live and on the app in the U.S.