Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah it's very hard to see how Seattle is better this year and a lot of reasons they might be worse. The offense fell off a cliff in the second half of the season which smells like tape/opposing coaches adjusting, so I wouldn't expect a replay of the fireworks from early last year. And the defensive line is arguably even worse than last year's terrible unit.
We can hope having 3 receiving options and a year of experience for 2 rookie OL will change things for the better I guess. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Paying 15% of the cap to a DE is definitely a choice you can make.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
OK so it is probably better to pay 15% of the cap to a DE who is good and plays than to pay 12% of the cap to a safety who does not play and may or may not be good anymore.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah it's very hard to see how Seattle is better this year and a lot of reasons they might be worse. The offense fell off a cliff in the second half of the season which smells like tape/opposing coaches adjusting, so I wouldn't expect a replay of the fireworks from early last year. And the defensive line is arguably even worse than last year's terrible unit.
We can hope having 3 receiving options and a year of experience for 2 rookie OL will change things for the better I guess. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Doesn't feel good to be right! This team sucks!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I don't think the Seahawks are good enough to describe any particular game as a trap game.
Playing against the Seahawks might be a trap game for another team.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
The Seahawks are going to need 37 points every week to win. But maybe they'll pull it off often enough to be fun.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Agreed. Win is a win but this game lowered my confidence in seattle doing anything. My fear is that they end up in the doldrums of “average” teams around 9 wins.

I will be pretty surprised if they end up anywhere outside 8 or 9 wins, yeah.
If somehow everyone gets healthy at the same time and stays that way after the bye, they could go higher. But I guess that is true of every NFL team.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I'm still riding with PCJS until they die. Way more good than bad with those two IMO. Winning consistently is really hard.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Seahawks offense overall didn't do much given the opportunities they had, but maybe we'll give them a pass since they weren't really needed and Geno was hurt.
Thank goodness for the early bye. The injury report is pretty gross right now.

Benne posted:

You guys, I think this Witherspoon kid might turn out alright

That's good because JSN looks like a very high danger for ending up being a total bust.

shirts and skins posted:

just want to give a shout out to Andy Dickerson, turning an o line missing four starters into a serviceable unit against Dexter Lawrence and Kayvon Thibedeau. this team has seen some truly crap o line play under Carroll and it's been refreshing to see them improve at last

That's a great point. Line was ok-ish with 4 people out and no starter playing in their natural position. Has to be some combination of decent depth and/or coaching.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Just an incredibly bad game by Geno wow. Some really bad throws and even worse indecision sacks. I don't recall seeing him be that bad on the mental side before.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah Geno playing mostly ok but good for a couple horrible plays at the worst time each game. Going to have to be searching for the qb of the future sooner than later.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 29, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
edit: I'm bad at threads sorry

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 29, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Happy we eeked out that win at home against PJ freaking Brown but this Seahawks team does not look like a contender at all. Geno is an adequate placeholder at QB but that has to be a target in every draft from now on until they find one. I honestly think trading Metcalf before the deadline would be net neutral or positive for the team regardless of return, though ideally you get a starting DL or a decent draft pick in return. Pete Carroll leading the league in penalties is familiar and grating, and very nearly lost this game.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Not gonna lie if the hawks lost to XFL legend PJ walker I'd definitely be writing a *lost season* screed. I love DK and he had 14 targets yesterday. Many of them were not advised targets. Geno showing he definitely is not IT these last 3 weeks, just forcing the ball to DK when he is not open. Others dudes a re porbablymopen geno get them the ball

The run was good tho. And lol the adams header

I disagree, DK is supposed to be one of those receivers who is always open 1:1 regardless of how close the DB is. But he actually sucks at contested catches and didn't even try on a couple of those that looked like "bad throws" but should have been at least something he could make a play on. He just plays incredibly soft for someone with such a hard image.
Like, nobody complains about the QB "forcing the ball" to AJ Brown when he's 1:1 with a guy 6 inches shorter than him. Because he's actually open!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I didn't want to trade Metcalf for a QB or QB-level pick, I just wanted to trade him for a starting caliber DL. Which I guess we just got. So now we can trade him for the 2nd round pick we just paid to get a DL.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Pungry posted:

In what world is a 2nd round pick better than DK Metcalf as far as winning a Super Bowl goes? The man has put up 900 yards receiving at least in every year of play. Some bad undisciplined penalties doesn't immediately invalidate all that production. And, again, the Seahawks are currently 5-2 and winning their division. Getting a 2nd by giving up Metcalf hurts the team's Super Bowl chances in a year they have a shot at one (I don't care if you think they're frauds, they do have a legit shot this year). It's just not a good idea to get rid of Metcalf for a 2nd for any reason.

I'm fine with waiting to the offseason to trade him now that we have secured a DL. He is not going to be worth the contract he is going to demand in 2025 so gotta get rid of him at some point while you can get some value back.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
The trade for Williams is a disaster if we don't sign him long term. If this was a rental it's a catastrophic error in judgement thinking this team had a Superbowl shot.

Geno is a 31MM cap hit next year and then can be cut for only 8.75 cap hit in 2025.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
PCJS is the worst coach/GM combo in the league except for only maybe 60 or 70 others that have been tried in the last 10 years.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Good job everyone, A+ work all around.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Sherm seems like a first ballot guy right? https://futurefootballlegends.com/year/2027/
Like Adrian Peterson seems like the only guy who would go above him in my opinion. That list has Antonio Brown higher which seems wrong to me.
Bobby Wagner is the only other HoFer from the superbowl teams I think, though I agree Earl Thomas made that whole defense work and was the best free safety in the league for a few years.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Gronk I can see the argument. Brown is the Earl Thomas of wide receivers and was never really the best WR or even top 2 when he played. His era was full of equally great WRs.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Oh I forgot about Pete, of course he will be in as well.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Seahawks will not be making the playoffs. I am begging PCJS to trade Metcalf in the off-season. (or ideally, 2 weeks ago)

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 20, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Rabid Snake posted:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba is not the GM

(I get what you are saying though. Hard to pump up his value if Drew Lock is throwing to him the rest of the season though.)

Oops lol, too many acronyms floating around with this team!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah I was pretty mad about some of those calls as well but like... the team is not good. It's not like we are being robbed of playoff seed positioning that matters to our superbowl chances or something. It's possible this game ends up being the difference between missing the playoffs and squeaking in to get wrecked in the wild card round. But so what if it is? :shrug:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Comparing Lockett to JSN is just a staggering level of disrespect for Lockett lol.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Posting Ws more often than not for a decade straight is pretty hard to do. I for one will remember PCJS fondly when they are gone.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Given the ownership situation being in transition, I think the only realistic option would be to gently recommend to Pete that he retire, and to hand over the keys to the kingdom to Schneider. Let him hire a coach and find out what he has learned in the last decade.
It's not like the ownership trust can evaluate and hire a good coach and GM starting over from scratch.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/HustleChillson/status/1728480839640785349?t=MZDJ1pHqy2qoYh7H1Z5lfA&s=19

Seahawks still above .500 and people acting like we need to clean house itt lol

On one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand, let's check in on this post in a few weeks.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I think somehow the Seahawks pull out an improbable win here while still exhibiting all the flaws we know make them a pretend-good team.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Benne posted:

Seahawks/Eagles just got flexed to MNF so we can be publicly flogged in primetime again

We used to be feared and glorious in primetime games. :sigh:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Pete is the angriest he's ever been and calling out players by name in interviews today, including Jamal Adams. I think he may have just now decided he is retiring this year.

Manoueverable posted:

The thing is, Lock will most likely go for 150 yards and 3 INTs this week. Which is fine, I don't expect much better.

What's way more worrying to me is that we had a solid period of the team looking like geniuses for dumping Russ and trending in the right direction with rebuilding, but now the pendulum has swung back to what we all suspected in the first place.

Eh, trading Russ was still a very good move even if he ends up being above average this year and gives the Broncos another year or two of decent play. It just isn't enough of a good move to overcome the Jamal Adams trade and signing damage. Signing Geno for 3/30 was probably a bad move but not catastrophic, that contract can be exited cheaply after next year.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Yeah I don't really think paying middle of the road QBs makes sense as a strategy, even if you are "only" paying them 30MM/year cap hit. That's still a huge chunk of the cap for a guy that is not going to get you to a superbowl. I think you need to be paying single-digits to your QB (or better yet, rookie deal), or paying 50MM for a franchise guy with no in between.
Maybe if you have an elite roster top to bottom with no QB, and somehow you can still afford it, then you pay 30MM to Geno Smith to point guard you to a championship. But even if we have no answer on the horizon I still would cut Geno in 2025 (which IIRC yields an 8MM cap hit for the final void year). With no malice of course.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
We cannot allow the Green Bay Packers to make the playoffs this is a travesty. It is the solemn duty of either the Seahawks or the Rams to displace them. (it's going to have to be the Rams)

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I found this case against pretty compelling, although it does rest a little too much on "Seahawks defense is really bad" for the specific examples he pulled.
One amazing stat I learned from this is that even if you counted only throws behind the line of scrimmage, Purdy would still lead the league in yards per attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_0yD5ZwWa8

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Re: Solak - I find his videos to be entertaining and informative. But I don't watch a ton of deep analysis football stuff so I am totally open to the possibility that he is actually bad. What are some recommendations for better but still accessible high quality breakdown analysis that isn't team-aligned?

Coldforge posted:

I mean, if you want to look at it holistically, then Purdy is unquestionably the most valuable player in the NFL right now.

A QB with the best overall stats, leading a team with the best record (including tie-breakers) in the NFC and tied with the best team in the AFC, and only costing his team $890k of cap space.

*Value through the roof*

I like this line of reasoning, but I'd still take CJ Stroud over Purdy for that metric.

The way I think about MVP is more "how much does this person contribute to the team's success compared to a replacement level player at their position". Or another way, how much would they get in free agency if the were unrestricted tomorrow (for 1 year let's say, set age side). Purdy is probably not even top 10 on this scale.

To contradict myself though, I'd be happy to CMC get the award and he isn't really top 10 there either.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
The best thing about concrete astroturf is you could spike the ball into the stratosphere after a touchdown. The most pure form of TD celebration.

I remember that team well because it was my first sports heartbreak. I didn't really understand the game but my dad was excited and I could sense the Seahawks had a legit chance to win it all that year. We went on to lose on a heartbreaking instant replay that took away an interception in I believe the AFC championship against the Oilers. My hatred of the refs and Seattle sports persecution complex was born that day. I don't actually know today if the int should have stood or not.

Edit: my memories are all scrambled and the Oilers game I am thinking of was in 1988 and it was not the championship. I was really young in 84 so it makes sense I couldn't have cared that much at that time, heh.

DancingMachine fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 23, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Manoueverable posted:

This team is bullshitting its way to a Wild Card blowout loss, but who gives a gently caress :hawksin:

Hell yeah, winning games is more fun than losing them and playing in January is good.

Cat Hassler posted:

lol this is last season all over again and I’ll have it

If you had told me at the beginning of the season that Seattle would end up with somewhere around 9 wins I would have said "yeah probably".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Leperflesh posted:

In fact...

How about that.

E. The OP has Seattle's win o/u at 8.5 so that's a petty reasonable take for September anyway.

Haha nice. Given that we have the Steelers and Cardinals remaining 10 wins is a realistic possibility at this point, but not too far off whatever happens.