Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

little munchkin posted:

Thinking about the time that Bryan and Chris had the co-host of the Bubba The Love Sponge on as a guest and when they asked him if he had any plugs at the end the guest said he wanted to give a shout out to the libertarian party.

I like that this went from a slightly boring interview with a funny plug at the end in reality to over time them thinking it was this huge disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Kinda disappointed with the guitar guys episode, there’s so much goofy poo poo guitar guys buy into (related to audiophile snake oil) and instead all we got was some tame forum slapfights.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

killhamster posted:

Kinda disappointed with the guitar guys episode, there’s so much goofy poo poo guitar guys buy into (related to audiophile snake oil) and instead all we got was some tame forum slapfights.

They didn’t even go to the Gearpage, that’s where the real sickos are.

As a guitar guy it was weak.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

killhamster posted:

This is always how it is when they talk about something you’re familiar with.

Like Chris arguing with the guest on the Jeep Guys episode because he didn’t think Miatas were still being made, and sort of conceding but the new ones don’t count lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MassRafTer posted:

I like that this went from a slightly boring interview with a funny plug at the end in reality to over time them thinking it was this huge disaster.

I hear he's done random Twitter crank now

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

if you listen closely theres a few funny bits like like how manson keeps using the phrase "we went to war together" and also calls his work bubba the greatest radio show of all time

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
its even funnier when you look up the Ned parody songs after listening to the interview and find out the work he's so proud of and reverent towards is a parody of Call Me Maybe with the lyrics changed to be about the jerry sandusky scandal

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Kinda disappointed that there isn't a Korn fansite called KornHub

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

killhamster posted:

I fell like the more mainstream ones tend to be kind of tame honestly, like especially with the internet almost everyone listening to the podcast is at least somewhat familiar with Weed Guys or Guitar Guys or Prog Rock Guys

The best eps are for the weird self contained communities that don’t really leak into the mainstream internet consciousness like bowling and nudism and dudes getting hosed up on nutmeg

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think certain topics can be difficult to really get in to in a 90 minute podcast.

As someone that doesn't really know anything about Warhammer, anything that gets into in universe lore, specific game mechanics, or whatever will probably lose me (or require time setting the table so I get the context first).

Similarly with guitar guys and audiophile stuff, you can always do the bit where there is lots of jargon and then the conclusion that the guy is being silly and buying magic cables that counteract only 25% of voodoo curses. You can focus the riffing on the eccentricities of the people in the community (while accepting that the magic cables are silly) or focus more on the technical details of proving the magic cables are silly. At least for me, if you are going the route of proving the cables objectively don't provide value then you can't do it half assed with the details. If you start providing actual metrics and other specifics that you will need to remember, then you need to make sure there is context because if you tell me "this guys magic $10,000 cables get him a Bartlett-Voker Score of 0.95675 but a $10 cable could get you 0.95000, ha ha what a fool wasting his money" you could just say he spent $10k on cables that don't make any noticeable difference to human ears and not get me sidetracked with jargon. I'd happily watch a longer Youtube video breaking down in great detail scientifically the silliness of these magic cables or other audiophile stuff, but a casual podcast won't be able to deliver that style of breakdown as effectively as a scripted video.

Stuff like goofy rules at nudist resorts is more funny on its face than stereo equipment specs so going over those "rules" can work for the show and doesn't really need a lot of context.

When they do a Wrestling Guys episode, I know they won't be going over SMW's finances to prove Jim Cornette was bad at running a wrestling promotion to then prove that his fans are foolish for treating him as a wrestling business expert. There is more than enough low hanging fruit to pick without needing a history lesson before you can make a joke.

Bryan isn't looking to learn the deeper aspects of any of these topics when he does his "research", Chris comes in fresh to the topic on the day, so the expert really is there to help supply basic context and do a little riffing. For the most part, any comedic area that requires more than a few sentences of fact focused table setting to get to probably won't be what is covered on Guys.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

They could just do more than one show on a particular guy. Guys+ and the streams are mostly further Sex Guys episodes.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

TheMightyBoops posted:

They could just do more than one show on a particular guy. Guys+ and the streams are mostly further Sex Guys episodes.

I believe that was the plan to do that occasionally after the podcast was at least a year old or so

bartok
May 10, 2006

I wish they'd do more episodes on individual Guys. I really loved the Dave Navarro and Kevin Smith episodes.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, I know a Jamie Kennedy episode was teased ages ago and I was really hoping for that to pop sometime

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Podcast Guys

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Dalmuti posted:

Podcast Guys

You could do a season of different podcast guys:

- video game podcast guys
- is professional but does a podcast in their field guys.
- made their friends buy microphones and did it for 3 months podcast guys.
- unfunny comedy podcast guys.
- true crime podcast guys
- listen to podcasts guys.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I hope he eventually hits Hypermiler Guys, like the guys who build fiberglass fairings for their 1998 Civics and never drive more than 53mph to try get it to like 100 miles to the gallon

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

blunt for century posted:

I hope he eventually hits Hypermiler Guys, like the guys who build fiberglass fairings for their 1998 Civics and never drive more than 53mph to try get it to like 100 miles to the gallon

I thought those guys went extinct when electric vehicles became more common

bartok
May 10, 2006

Does anyone actually like Reacher Roundtable? I just use those weeks to catch up on other podcasts I'm behind on.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bartok posted:

Does anyone actually like Reacher Roundtable? I just use those weeks to catch up on other podcasts I'm behind on.

I had presumed I was in a minority based on the outcry that brought it back (and I might still be!) but I tapped out of it the first go-around and haven't even touched this new crop.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

bartok posted:

Yeah I don’t know why they do them.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
"we watch the dumbest-guyest of the dumb guy shows and pretend to be dumb guys reacting to it" was funny for half an episode

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Reacher rules but I have no need to listen to a podcast about it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

MassRafTer posted:

Reacher rules but I have no need to listen to a podcast about it.

Fewer reacher roundtables, more reach-a-round tables with Tom and Bunny

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I thought Guitar Guys was really great, first time Chris has ever told two jokes that made me laugh in an episode.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I watched one of the streams where they looked at some other swinger club tour youtuber and were like "oh this place looks nice, not like the places Tom and Bunny go to." Then they realize that Tom and Bunny had in fact been there and that something about how they shoot their videos and/or their ambient sleazyness makes every place look incredibly cursed and gross.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Lego Guys episode is up!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

He's buying Legos (sic) during the episode.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at bryan talking about getting "tasteful" lego sets so that his wife wouldn't mind them being left out as decorations

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Cached Money posted:

I want this mug

I tried to get a professional site to make it but they said they couldn't because it had the word Ford in it. Thankfully Etsy sellers have no such moral quandaries.

Now I'm ready to go crash a Jeep meet-up.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Androies posted:

I tried to get a professional site to make it but they said they couldn't because it had the word Ford in it. Thankfully Etsy sellers have no such moral quandaries.

Now I'm ready to go crash a Jeep meet-up.

lmao

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Wallvorine

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Bryan saying he doesn’t have 30 grand in Lego yet means he absolutely has at minimum 30 grand in Lego.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Some great content coming

https://twitter.com/perpetua/status/1756364201109360836?t=3PDdD17zJVjYE9fmdkvB1g&s=19

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1756772020560285799?t=VKZ1RDwcsUQyDHVl_Raqnw&s=19

As the OP of the Game Show thread on TVIV, I can't believe I'm going to be roasted by Flubby.

there's a ton of gatekeeping, and a cross of puritan "oh no, they say penis on family feud" and "this show sucks and the only way to fix it is to bring a guy from the dead or change a rule

bartok
May 10, 2006

I hope the game show guys episode has Jon Cullen as the guest. That guy has some strong opinions about Jeopardy and is always happy to share them on Blocked Party.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i hope the crypto guys guest is molly white

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan mentioned this in the woods a few weeks ago since he didn't think anyone would see it, but he wrote a very heartfelt description for the anniversary episode:

quote:

We have been doing it for 1 full year we decided to have Mike come and make fun of me for collecting Legos, this week is a super sized guys for the 1 year anniversary!

I know that we said Tom would be here and but he got stuck in the airport!

Thank you to everyone that supports the show, we really appreciate it, 1 year ago, launching this show was so scary to me and I want to thank a few people.

Chris, of course but also:

Chapo Trap House for having me on a few times to promote, Jon Gabrus for coming on episode 3 and the doughboys for doing a very early episode, Mike and Jesse from Your Kickstarter sucks for coming on like a million times and the guys from P*****o Time who had me on the show to promote very early on. Stefan and John from Blocked Party for always jumping in to help if we have a cancellation, Drew Spears for helping me get my archive and Tom Sexton for always being on the show. All of the guests that came on to a show that most of them have no idea what it is! My friends from the woods who were there during my meltdown. And again, I cannot overstate this enough, Thank you to Chris for doing this show and making it fun and encouraging me to try new things in my career. Katy and Gwen for living the lifestyle we did before this show took off and for never blaming me for us being broke even though I was probably the cause.

There is much more Chris at twitter.com/thecjs and of course https://www.patreon.com/notevenashow

And for more Guys content, streams and SHOCKTOBER: a deep dive into shock jocks you can click patreon.com/murderxbryan twitter.com/murderxbryan and twitch.tv/murderxbryan

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Wild EEPROM posted:

i hope the crypto guys guest is molly white

i kept trying to tell Bryan to feature Ed Zitron for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls
:siren: :siren: :cumpolice: :siren: :siren:

https://x.com/murderxbryan/status/1757095673638318549?s=20

And here I was, thinking the streams were too Tom and Bunny focused.