Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
If I had to pick a favorite part of the Ozempic ad, it would be the part where they kept saying Oh Oh Oh Ozempic over top of the list of side effects so you would have trouble understanding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
If I got married and my wife turned to be a chomper, I'd be like ahh geez louise

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’m starting to get the complaints about Chris talking over everybody though

I'm pro Chris on the show overall, because he can be extremely funny and we wouldn't get to the deep Bryan lore without Chris looking to roast him.

On the other hand, a few minutes of basic prep would be nice so he gets the basic idea from the start. I think part of the idea is he comes in fresh so he can be like a listener just learning about whatever the topic is, but that leads to dead ends. If he had the jist to begin with, he could still play the role of the listener establishing the key concepts, but could avoid unnecessary time spent just clarifying superfluous details.

I don't really know anything about Warhammer, beyond that it is a game of little models with some kind of futuristic theme, but I don't necessarily need to know much more than that. Be prepared enough that you don't ask many questions where the answer is simply "No, it's not really like that." It can also be especially irritating when a comedian is one step behind you but is trying to riff off a misunderstanding of a simple fact, and the intro format of comedian asking questions to learn basically steers into this direction.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I found that he sounds like Chris Locke, but I can only speak for myself.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think certain topics can be difficult to really get in to in a 90 minute podcast.

As someone that doesn't really know anything about Warhammer, anything that gets into in universe lore, specific game mechanics, or whatever will probably lose me (or require time setting the table so I get the context first).

Similarly with guitar guys and audiophile stuff, you can always do the bit where there is lots of jargon and then the conclusion that the guy is being silly and buying magic cables that counteract only 25% of voodoo curses. You can focus the riffing on the eccentricities of the people in the community (while accepting that the magic cables are silly) or focus more on the technical details of proving the magic cables are silly. At least for me, if you are going the route of proving the cables objectively don't provide value then you can't do it half assed with the details. If you start providing actual metrics and other specifics that you will need to remember, then you need to make sure there is context because if you tell me "this guys magic $10,000 cables get him a Bartlett-Voker Score of 0.95675 but a $10 cable could get you 0.95000, ha ha what a fool wasting his money" you could just say he spent $10k on cables that don't make any noticeable difference to human ears and not get me sidetracked with jargon. I'd happily watch a longer Youtube video breaking down in great detail scientifically the silliness of these magic cables or other audiophile stuff, but a casual podcast won't be able to deliver that style of breakdown as effectively as a scripted video.

Stuff like goofy rules at nudist resorts is more funny on its face than stereo equipment specs so going over those "rules" can work for the show and doesn't really need a lot of context.

When they do a Wrestling Guys episode, I know they won't be going over SMW's finances to prove Jim Cornette was bad at running a wrestling promotion to then prove that his fans are foolish for treating him as a wrestling business expert. There is more than enough low hanging fruit to pick without needing a history lesson before you can make a joke.

Bryan isn't looking to learn the deeper aspects of any of these topics when he does his "research", Chris comes in fresh to the topic on the day, so the expert really is there to help supply basic context and do a little riffing. For the most part, any comedic area that requires more than a few sentences of fact focused table setting to get to probably won't be what is covered on Guys.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I know you recently stopped drinking Bud Light, but that's a different thing and we don't really want to get into that

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't like it when the hosts and guests laugh and have a good time together. I'm here to learn.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Wait, folks aren't on board with Todd Glass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Those discord folks are sure doing a parasocial