Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
My friend has a Macbook M1 air.

She recently changed the password for her user on it, and then promptly forgot it.

This has happened before where I was able to change it by booting into recovery mode, open a terminal and change the password.

But his time she has got into a state where it just boots into this "Activate Mac" screen: https://imgur.com/WtNd3sI

I'm unable to boot into the normal recovery mode by holding down power. It does say loading startup options, but just goes into the activate mac screen.

She can see the macbook on Icloud with find my devices, but there is no option to change the password there.

What can be done about this? Hopefully something that doesn't require erasing it completely, since there's data on there that's important to her.

Have googled extensively without finding a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
Maybe try this one out? There are a few methods in the URL I found, but the one I explained further sounds like your best bet.

Stolen from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/851668/how-to-remove-activation-lock-on-a-mac/

Remove Activation Lock Using iCloud

You can also remove Activation Lock using another device with Find My. This could be on the web at iCloud.com/find or an iPhone or iPad with the Find My app linked to the same account.

Once you've logged in (or have the app open) find your Mac in the list of devices. On the web, click on "All Devices" at the top of the screen, or use the "Devices" tab on a mobile device to locate your Mac.

From here, use the "Remove from Account" button to remove the Mac from your iCloud account. This will deactivate Activation Lock and make it so that you can no longer track the whereabouts of the device.