Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Before I say anything, if you are at ALL interested in doom, and don't want to be spoiled on what I, and many others consider to be a masterpiece of a mod, close this thread, go download the mod, and play it yourself.

:ducksiren: Seriously. This mod is great. you should play it yourself. :ducksiren:

https://zdoom.org/downloads GzDoom. You'll need a copy of doom 2 to make it work, that's all on you.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/134292-myhousewad/ Where to get the MyHouse Level for yourself.

Still here? Okay. cool.

DoomWiki posted:

My House (a.k.a. MyHouse.WAD) is a single-level PK3 for Doom II using the GZDoom source port that was released on March 3, 2023.[1] It was designed by Steve Nelson (Veddge)

Veddge emerged on September 2, 2022 with early screenshots of the map before its release the following year on March 3, having not logged into the Doomworld forums in "over a decade." The map is purported to have been unearthed from an old floppy disk belonging to Veddge's deceased long-time friend Tom who started work on it in 1999. It was then improved with UDMF features "for convenience's sake."

The map is advertised as "not much of a challenge and roughly 10 minutes of play time,"

The map requires the GZDoom hardware renderer to run properly. Jumping and crouching are disabled, but freelook is permitted.

Not a challenge, an easy 10 minute LP? sign me up! Can't see what all the fuss is about for such a short map, but hey, if it's popular, why not?

To get things out of the way:

Really? A let's play of a single level? Yes. You'll see.

Can we post spoilers? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I will be going through absolutely everything this mod has to offer. If, at the very end, I've somehow missed something, feel free to point it out

Why aren't you talking in the video? Did you forget to subtitle it too? You lazy bastard. First off, that's mean. Secondly, for this particular mod, me talking over it, or distracting you with subtitles is just...I can't do either of those to you. This is an experience. It might be a cardinal sin to do a lets play with neither voice nor subs, but I really do not want to detract anything whatsoever from the experience. And I'll be posting relevant information, as well as my thoughts with each upload, so don't you worry your little head about it.

Why not just do a screenshot lp then? I thought about that too, but that also would not give you the full experience. I want everyone to feel the sense of exploration, get immersed, all that jazz. I'm going to try to not rush as much as I can (while not getting myself horribly killed :gibs: )

Table of Contents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5GMy47EP0M Episode 1: Nothing Good can come of this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS4jTbuLeZo Episode 2: New Beginnings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkO8Ohi7kfk Bonus episode 2.5: ʞɔυʇ ɘʜɈ ɈɒʜW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-fo5G8uBA Episode 3: Adrift at Sea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er1COhkhx_4&t=1s Bonus episode 3.5: Man's Labyrinth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hQWwmcqmWA 𝐒̽̈͊𝐡̆͒̾̓𝐞̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝐥͊ͮ͋𝐥̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋ 𝐁̋͊ͮ𝐞͎̗̅ͥ𝐚̽̈͊𝐜̋͊ͮ𝐡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ybjYOkpLYI Bonus episode 4.5 bͨeͣᶰ rͭeͪaͥˢl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQw-rrtdUn4 Episode 5: Happiness needs to be fought for.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Journal posted:

August 4, 2022
Today I woke up to the news that an old childhood friend of mine had suddenly passed away. I can't believe it. We were so close when we were younger and I feel like a part of my life is now missing. I feel so helpless, like I can't do anything to bring him back.
I feel so sad and it feels like my heart is heavy. I can't help but think about all of the fun times we had together growing up. All of our adventures, our secrets, and even our arguments. I miss him so much and I can't believe he's gone.
I'm struggling to cope with this news and it's hard to stay focused on anything else. I hope that writing in this journal will help me to process my emotions and come to terms with what has happened. I know that my friend would want me to remember the good times and continue to live life to the fullest.

August 16, 2022
I attended the funeral of my childhood friend, and I was overwhelmed with grief. As I looked around at everyone else in the room, I could feel the sadness in the air.
The service was beautiful and the pastor said some kind words about my friend that made me feel better. After the service, I went back to my friend's parent's house and spent some time with them.
I was reminded of all the fun times we had together growing up. I never imagined that I would be saying goodbye to my friend so soon. As I sat with my friend's parents, we reminisced about all the memories we shared.
At the end of the visit, his parents gave me some old personal items that belonged to my friend. I was surprised to find a stack of old discs containing some Doom file backups.
It was an emotional moment, but I am grateful to have these items to remember my friend by. When I get home I’ll go through some of his old artwork and see what I can recover from the discs.

August 18, 2022
I spent some time looking through my friend’s sketchbook just in case there was something important in there. I had no idea what to expect, but I was definitely not prepared for the strange artwork that I found inside.
The sketches were mostly abstract and dark, with a lot of imagery depicting death, sadness and despair. As I flipped through the pages, the artwork seemed to get increasingly darker, and I began to feel a sense of dread. I decided that I had seen enough and closed the book, feeling a little bit shaken.
After that, I decided to try and take my mind off things and do some Amazon shopping. I need a USB 3.5” floppy drive if I’m going to try and recover some of these old files… lord knows whether anything can be retrieved from these discs—they’re nearly 20 years old. Fingers crossed.

August 20, 2022
My package finally arrived in the mail so I spent the day going through old floppy discs.
I plugged it in and started to play around with it. I was surprised to find that I could actually recover data from my old floppy discs! I had some old files from my high school days that I thought were long gone, but here they were. My friend and I used to make Doom maps in high school and I was so excited to find them again. But then I stumbled across a map that I had never seen before. It was a map of my friend's house… I was so surprised to learn that he had been working on this map in secret!
Playing this map made me realize that the best way to honor our friendship is to clean up his work and release it to the public. We never made any of our Doom stuff available to others, I guess we were young and intimidated by the great work being produced by the community, but I’m impressed with the quality of what’s currently here in his map and I think it’s a fitting tribute to clean it up for others to enjoy.

August 25, 2022
I spent this morning doing something I haven’t done in years—browse Doomworld for the most recent Doom editing tools. I was amazed to find how easy and accessible the new tools were compared to what I was used to back in the mid 00s. I ended up downloading Ultimate Doom Builder and Slade, both of which proved to be incredibly useful.
Ultimate Doom Builder made mapping incredibly easy and straightforward. I was able to quickly create a basic map without much trouble, and I'm excited to see what I can achieve with a bit more practice. Slade was also much better at managing resources than trying to use WinTex, which I remember using back in the day.
I feel pretty comfortable now that I can finish my friend’s map and maybe add some new features to spruce it up as well.

Sketches, hmm. he definitely did post them for us to see, let's take a look.

Not a bad artist, really. And the house in the level, it's uncanny. What a great job he's done.

We can explore around, lots to see. plenty of Doom Cute (real world objects ported into the doom engine. Very neat!)

Monsters in the house, well, it is doom, and I did pick ultra-violence. we can clear them out with no trouble, especially with that hidden chainsaw. I get the feeling that saw will be getting a lot of use going forward.

Now where did that come from? it certainly wasn't there before..

The astute among you may have noticed something. There's a floor beneath another floor. Doom can't do that. GZdoom can't do that either. the VERY astute among you may have also noticed that the door leading to the basement level room sorta wigged out when I was prodding back and forth against it. A glitch in the matrix? Maybe. Some trickery going on? Most definitely. Oh well. Let's keep collecting our keys, so we can get out of here. Maybe grab that soul sphere on our way out.

They're back. The monsters are back. There...also appear to be more windows than when we started. something is definitely fishy going on here. ah well...back in we go, let's investigate and....WHAT. The doors. The doors are....proper doors now. and the music's restarted. it sounds a little different. Something else feels a little different too, can't quite put my finger on it...

Stairs? An attic now? We've already gone over the fact that we can't have a room over a room so how....

The door's gone. the door...is gone.. I guess we need to keep exploring. Things are getting weirder... impossible rooms above rooms....now rooms that...can't...exist. they just can't be here. doors now leading into nothing...and the mirrors are actual working mirrors now. It's all too surreal.

I'm hearing noises, a strange crackling...and....also a discord notification? The game does that, at roughly 10 minutes in.

I think I found where that noise is coming from...

Journal posted:

August 29, 2022
I had the strangest dream last night about my childhood friend who recently passed away. We were playing legos in his basement like we used to do as kids and when I turned around, he was gone. The house was empty and silent, everything was so quiet and still. I started to smell smoke and hear screams from upstairs.
I ran upstairs, and when I got there, the house was just a burned frame. Smoke was getting thicker and thicker, and I could barely see or breathe. I searched for my friend, but I couldn't find him anywhere. I couldn't see anything. I started to panic and then I found myself outside in the fog. I was alone, but I could hear low growls in the distance.
When I woke up, I wished so badly that it was all just a dream, but I knew deep down that it was real. I just miss my friend so much, and it's hard to think that he's gone. There’s nothing worse than letting your mind dwell on something… after a while it starts to consume you. Just now, I decided to order a replacement set of smoke detectors with CO2 sensors. Just in case.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 27, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This wad rules

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol what the gently caress

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I can feel it already, the rip and tear vibe.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Romero himself played it and said it is dope so you know it’s dope

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Where am I? I feel like I blacked out. I remember...a fire? Everything is a blur. Well, no matter. Today, we're going to escape this level for real. Maybe we'll just cheat a little. That can't be a problem, right? The cheats are there for a reason, if you want to win at any cost.

IDDQD posted:

"My reflection winked at me. I covered the mirror in the attic just to be safe."

Huh. That sounds really familiar. I swear I read something in the journal about that...

Journal posted:

December 18, 2022
I was in the bathroom, standing in front of the mirror, shaving. As I looked at my reflection I noticed it winked at me. It was so strange and unexpected that I threw my razor at the mirror. I was so scared that I expected the mirror to shatter, but instead it stayed intact. I was even more surprised when I put my hand through the mirror and I could feel the glass
I kept going and I was able to climb all the way into the mirror. It was like a tunnel. When I looked back, I saw myself in the mirror, and this time I winked back. It was so surreal, but I felt like I belonged there. There was something comforting about being in the mirror, like it was my home. I woke up feeling so confused and shocked, and I still can't believe it was just a dream.

That's certainly a vivid dream. Maybe...Maybe we should leave well enough alone. we can get through this without a cheat, right?

IDDQD posted:

Nothing good can come of a house fire.

:ohdear:

It's fine. we're fine. we'll just rush through this. we've seen it all before. We can handle the monsters in here without too much trouble. See, nothing too it. No close calls at all. Grab all 3 keycards just like before, and we're out of here. Just like that. And look, its our old friend, good old, familiar, underhalls. after all the stress we went through, a classic doom 2 level is just what the doctor ordered.

Something feels off though. I swear i'm seeing things from a different angle than normal. Are we taller than usual? and I don't remember the water making a splashing noise when you walk on it. Hmm. Well, we'll just get through this, and call it a day. Another flawless run incredibly close call and we'll be nice and relaxed and...

we're back. We're back at the house. We can't escape that easily, it seems. Once more unto the breach. I remember there were those...strange things that we could pick up. The can of bepisPepsi...and the milkshake. Let's grab them again, and this time, not turn the house into a burnt hellscape. maybe if we find more, something will happen.

Journal posted:

September 2, 2022
Today I made a post on Doomworld showing off my friend’s map. There’s more to do on the map, but hopefully this is the encouragement I need to finish the map and push it out for release. I thought it would be a simple project, but the more I learn about the new UDMF features, the more things I’ve been adding to make it more interesting.
I want the project to maintain the original aesthetic my friend was working on, but I’m trying to find that fine line between the original vanilla map and a cleaned-up release that feels a little less 90s.

October 3, 2022
October already? Been super busy with work so I haven’t had time to work on the map. I did, however, go back and look through the sketch book again and started scanning some of them into the computer for posterity.
As I scrolled through the drawings, I could see that my friend had taken a dark turn. Each sketch seemed more unhinged and disturbing than the last. I felt a chill of worry run down my spine as I realized that my friend's mental health might have been in a very fragile state.

October 8th, 2022
Today was a long day at work, but I was really looking forward to coming home and getting some mapping in. I decided to order a pizza first, so I called up my favorite pizza place and placed my order. It felt so good to be able to relax and enjoy some good food.
Once the pizza arrived, I set it aside and got to work on my Doom map. I've been working on it for a while now, and I'm making good progress. I'm determined to make my friend proud. I spent the next few hours tweaking and refining the map, and it felt really good to mess with some of the new UDMF features. It’s fun to align floors without having to draw new textures.
Eventually, after a few hours, I decided to take a break and have some of that pizza I ordered earlier. After dinner, I went back to work on my map, making some more tweaks and finishing up some of the details.
I can't wait to release it. I think people are going to love all the doomcute elements in the map.

October 13th, 2022
I know that sharing is a big part of the Doom community, but a small part of me doesn’t want people to make modifications of this map. Mostly because I feel like this is a tribute and just a vessel for my feelings and emotions… someone else making changes would feel inappropriate.
But more importantly, I feel like something wants me to be the only one to work on it. I can’t explain it, but when I reached out to ZDoom discord members for help, it seemed like something didn’t want me to upload it for others to work on… It sounds stupid because I ended up uploading a copy, but for a moment I felt compelled to keep it for myself.
Fortunately my post on Doomworld was received well and it seems most people aren’t bothered by the idea that an author doesn’t want to make their map available for modifications.

I keep finding myself going back to the journals. Looking through them, searching for clues. that earlier one about the mirror really stood out to me the first time I read it. we should take a look in the mirror...

·ɓuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ ǝɹoʅdxǝ oʇ pǝǝu ʎʅʅɐǝɹ ǝʍ ʇnꓭ ·pɐǝɥ ʎɯ ɓuᴉʇɹnɥ sˌʇI ·ɓuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ···sɹǝʇsuoɯ ǝɥꓕ··ǝsnoɥ ǝɥꓕ ·spɹɐʍʞɔɐꓭ ·ɓuoɹʍ···sᴉ ɓuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ ·ɹoɹɹᴉɯ ǝɥʇ ɥɓnoɹɥʇ pǝddǝʇs ǝM ·ʇᴉ pᴉp ǝʍ ʻʅʅǝʍ

·ooʇ ʎddɐɥ ǝɯ sǝʞɐɯ sɐɯʇsᴉɹɥꓛ ʻǝʅqnɐq ʻooʇ ǝW ·ʍʍⱯ ·ǝʅqnɐq sɐɯʇsᴉɹɥꓛ ʇɐɥʇ ʍɐs ǝʍ ǝɹǝɥM ·ɔᴉʇʇɐ ǝɥʇ oʇ ʞɔɐq pɐǝɥ sˌʇǝꓶ

·ǝɔuǝɹǝɟǝɹ ssoʅ ɐ ǝq ʇou ɹǝʇʇǝq sᴉɥꓕ···

·pʅɹoʍ ʅɐǝɹ ǝɥʇ oʇ ʞɔɐq pɐǝɥ uɐɔ ǝʍ ɟᴉ ǝǝs sˌʇǝꓶ ·ʞɔᴉs ǝʅʇʇᴉʅ ɐ ɓuᴉʇʇǝɓ ɯˌI ʻʞO

thank goodness. Too much longer in there and....what's this..more baubles. can't pick them up anymore. So i guess we have a trail to follow...oh. oh no. This was in the journal too...

journal posted:

November 4, 2022
I had an incredibly vivid dream last night. This has been happening for several weeks now so I feel I should start documenting them. I’ll do my best to recall the events of my dreams…
I awoke in a cold sweat, my heart pounding in my ears. I felt a chill run down my spine, and I knew something was wrong. I lay in bed, too afraid to move, when I heard a faint, ghostly cry coming from the attic. I had heard this sound before, but this time it was louder and more insistent.
I tried to ignore it, telling myself it was just my imagination, but the more I tried to push it away, the louder it became. I had no choice but to investigate.
I got out of bed and slowly crept up the stairs to the attic, my heart pounding so hard I thought it would burst. As I entered the attic, I noticed a trail of children's toys leading out the window. I followed the trail, feeling a strange compulsion to do so.
The trail led me to an abandoned daycare center near the edge of town. I stayed back, afraid to enter, but I couldn't help but feel drawn to the place. I knew something was waiting for me inside, something dark and dangerous.
I took a deep breath and stepped inside. The place was dark and silent, but as I walked around I noticed the walls were covered in eerie drawings of children and babies. Then I heard the sound of a baby crying again, coming from the back of the room.
I followed the sound, and when I reached the back of the room I saw a crib with a stillborn baby inside. I felt a chill run down my spine as I realized what was haunting me. The stillborn baby was the one in the attic.
I backed away slowly, my heart pounding in my ears. I knew I had to leave this place, and I quickly ran out the door, never looking back.

ɈnɘɈnoƆ ƨυnoꓭ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruQVkh2MUP8 (Mirror World Soundtrack)

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 11, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was going to say, I'd rather have a literal demon wandering around in my house than a painting of Shrek on the wall. But then....oh god :gonk:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was going to say, I'd rather have a literal demon wandering around in my house than a painting of Shrek on the wall. But then....oh god :gonk:

In the files, the enemy version is called "Childhood Nightmare" which says a lot.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hell yes. stoked to see this in SSLP form. i half watched a vid of someone playing through it, but i know i missed some deets. lookin forward to seein the rest!

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Sally posted:

hell yes. stoked to see this in SSLP form. i half watched a vid of someone playing through it, but i know i missed some deets. lookin forward to seein the rest!

it's not really going to be a screenshot lp. there will be some screenshots. and some rambling. it's mainly going to be videos though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
oh my mistake--i will watch regardless!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Piss in Ear.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:suspense:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

:frogsiren: Bonus episode 2.5

If you were paying attention, when we went into the mirror world, the front door WAS there, and we could open it. So I wonder then, what would happen if we were to...leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkO8Ohi7kfk

Ah. Yep. All kinds of wrong. This really plays hell with anyone who is a long-time doom fan. This run is not going to be a canonical part of the main run, for a reason I'll explain much later.

The game DOES give you a hint that going through regular underhalls once is a good idea though.

IDFA posted:

"If you find yourself exploring another map, bring a Super Shotgun back with you."

and just for good measure

IDKFA posted:

"It's about the journey, not the destination."

Yeah, both idfa and idkfa just give you a message, with no other effect. no cheating keys or extra ammo into your inventory. what the level gives you is what you have to work with, which is why you'll see me being sparing with my ammo as much as I can.

One more for the road, I think

idmus posted:

"This isn't the d_runnin you know... let it play out."

(i'll bet half of you didn't even know that was a code)

Bonus 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3zrtIIbEpc They aren't kidding. it's a seriously hosed version of running from evil, it's pretty great. (also please please do not look at the comments, if you don't want to accidentally be spoiled, same goes for any other supplementary videos I post that aren't mine.)

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 11, 2023

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Doom with a Silent-Hill esque OST is a trip

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
best horror experience ive had in years tbh

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I might be dumb, but I installed Doom 2 and I cannot find doom2.wad file. Where it is supposed to be?

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Szarrukin posted:

I might be dumb, but I installed Doom 2 and I cannot find doom2.wad file. Where it is supposed to be?

do you mean gzdoom? or doom 2?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Yay! Great to see an LP of this; it's such an overwhelming work, from visuals to atmosphere to sound design to just about everything. And it functions perfectly within the confines of Doom's gameplay and engine. It genuinely feels like a bit of a miracle that something like this was even possible.

The mod also received so much attention outside of the usual Doom modding circles that it caused a significant influx of new people to the Doom community, quite a few of whom are taking up mapping as well. Usually one would say about a case like this that it "single-handedly revitalized Doom modding" or somesuch, but Doom modding was pretty vitalized in the first place; after all, it's still capable of producing works such as this, three whole decades after the base game's release.

And this, quite honestly, is one of the best video game tracks I've ever encountered. It was composed by Sarah Mancuso / esselfortium, an extremely influential Doom modder herself; I wouldn't be surprised if she had a hand in creating the actual map as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Count me as one of the people who stumbled on someone else giving a tour of MyHouse a few months ago, and then got to see a behind the scenes to see how it was all done. Impressive to say the least. For anyone who is familiar with DOOM, but hasn't seen this, strap in and stay tuned.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Carpator Diei posted:

Yay! Great to see an LP of this; it's such an overwhelming work

thank you! It really is.

CzarChasm posted:

Count me as one of the people who stumbled on someone else giving a tour of MyHouse a few months ago, and then got to see a behind the scenes to see how it was all done. Impressive to say the least. For anyone who is familiar with DOOM, but hasn't seen this, strap in and stay tuned.

I'll be getting to that for sure. I have big plans. Rest assured, i'll be doing my best to cover as much as I can within the format i've set for myself.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Aishlinn posted:

do you mean gzdoom? or doom 2?

doom 2

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm glad I finally got around to playing this a few weeks ago. What a trip

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

We're back. I've been a bit under the weather, but the journal had the cure, a nice hot bath. Everything feels nicer after a bath.

Journal posted:

November 23, 2022
I was actually able to get some sleep last night, however I continue having these vivid, cryptic dreams, and they keep feeling more personal and unsettling… I’m starting to prefer the tiresome days to my dreams.
I was dreaming about taking a nice hot bath. I felt myself sinking deeper and deeper into the warm water until I couldn't breathe. I tried to scream, but no sound escaped my lips. I was drowning in my own bathtub.
Suddenly, I felt a jolt, as if I had been pulled out of the water. When I opened my eyes, I found myself in a subterranean cave, illuminated by a faint, eerie blue light. I could feel a chill in the air, and I could hear the echoing of demons in the distance.
I tried to scream, but my voice was muffled by the darkness of the cave. I felt a chill run down my spine as I realized I was being hunted by something unseen. I heard the scraping of claws on the rocks and felt the ground shaking beneath me.
I was terrified, and I started to run. I ran and ran until I found a small crevice in the wall of the cave. I squeezed through it and hid in the darkness, hoping the demons wouldn't find me.
Eventually, I awoke in my own bed, safe and sound. But I couldn't help but feel a lingering fear that the demons were still out there, watching and waiting.

December 7, 2022
It's 4:30am and I'm still up working on this map for Doom. I can't believe I've been up this late, I must be exhausted. I'm not sure why but I'm having trouble sleeping lately, I just can't seem to shut my mind off. I'm really starting to feel the effects of it too, I've been more irritable than usual and my coworkers have said they've noticed a change in my behavior. I'm also a lot more on edge and jumpy than I used to be.
I'm playing back the map to check my work, and I'm finding all these new additions I don't remember adding. It's almost like the map has a mind of its own, but that's impossible right? Maybe I'm just exhausted and not thinking straight. I guess I should take it as a sign that I need to get some rest.

December 16, 2022
Today i desided to take a day off work. i was just so tired, i couldn't focus anymore. I've been having trouble sleeping for weeks now, and i just needed to rest. I'm glad christmas is coming soon, so i can spend time with my family. i'm looking forward to it, even though i don't really feel like being around people. it'll be nice to have some time away from the school, and to just relax. i'm sure they'll be a lot of fun and there wilL be plenty of laughter and good times. here's hoping that i'll be well rested and ready to face the world again soon!

December 17, 2022
Don’t attempt to type while sleepy.

Me too man, me too. I've been exhausted lately too.

I've noticed that some of the sinks in the house are full, where others are empty. And wouldn't you know it, you can actually fill them up. Let's go fill them all, Wet bandits style. All of em, Mirrored house too. I'm sure it'll be fine. And look, by filling the mirrors...The bathtub has gotten filled up too. this place sure has a wacky plumbing setup. We can grab that cute little rubber ducky, and maybe take a....Dip? Blub. brbl. :ohdear:

The Wet Bandits have struck again :argh:

The house is flooded now. I'm not just moving slower than normal, everything is sluggish. Moving, doors, all of it. We can make our way downstairs, and its even worse. Are those...Ceramic tiles?

This place...It's a maze. But it's....still the house. We've never left. The sauna steam is rising up to attack us, thankfully it's not very sturdy and still susceptible to bullets, but...this is just wrong. These halls...they twist and loop, almost endlessly. every new turn seems to just send us back.

Wait...a pool. And a very well hidden backpack, the only one to be had, make sure you don't miss it!

That fish does not look friendly at all. Maybe it's best if we avoid it altogether. I do want to try that diving board though.
(the item we picked up on the way was a d20. Roll for Intercourse? :haw: )

How deep does this go? Bending, around endless turns...we're drowning...but then...Hah! We made it, and not a moment...too...soon..

Back in the sky, with some very unwelcome friends. I see a platform off to the side, i wonder...Yes! We made it, but can we make it back safely? ....No. It's actually possible, though tricky, to avoid stepping on the trigger that spawns the extra enemies, it's the black tile amid all the grey ones, its how you know where to turn to run off and get the wedding ring. All of my videos are done in one take, So i'm not endlessly reloading trying for that "Perfect" run, and so you can see just how disorienting this map can be when it wants to be, even for someone who has played through it a dozen times.

Back to this endless staircase...I swear i've seen this before, maybe in a bad dream...

We're back in the house again. Or...did we ever really leave? it's not flooded anymore, so how can we get back to that bridge to see what was on the other side? Well...

The boiler...it has a message on it. i've avoided it until now, just in case i needed it. You can only do this once..

Back to the brutalist house. A towering monstrosity of stonework, twisting and turning on itself, full of doors that only open from one direction. House. Yes. it's still the house. Another twisted parody of it, but still the same house, stretching unfathomable miles up and down, maybe forever.

And who is this little guy? What a good boy. and who is his big Fr...OH GOD OH NO THE PAIN :gibs: Run. Run and never stop. the intensity is cranked up tenfold. you never know what corner you'll come around to come face to face with Cerberus.

Just gotta keep checking every wall, and eventually we'll find everything there is to be found here.
The alcove with the plasma gun is ONLY open-able if you have the blue keycard from the first house. Not the skull key. If you return from the mirrored underhalls, it starts you in the mirror world, and basically forgets that you have the blue keycard, only the skull, so it locks you out of the only plasma gun in the map. That's why you DON'T want to do the mirrored underhalls in your main playthrough.

Through the twisting labyrinth, we find..I guess this is the bathtub. If we jump in...another endless loop....but the one exit leads...to the airport. we've seen this before too, I swear. Ugh. My head hurts and i think i need a bathroom break...

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 10, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think I could handle wandering around a hellish house maze indefinitely if I got to listen to that soundtrack while doing so :stwoon:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can kinda see how they probably implemented underwater sequences and water physics (I think duke3d does something similar) but it’s still massively cool. So many cool tricks!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think I could handle wandering around a hellish house maze indefinitely if I got to listen to that soundtrack while doing so :stwoon:
It fits perfectly, and the atmosphere of the entire wad just wouldn't be possible without a track like this.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yep, this one proves that I would need a kickass soundtrack in order to not be terrified inside a hellish house maze :catstare:

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, this one proves that I would need a kickass soundtrack in order to not be terrified inside a hellish house maze :catstare:

Deeply unsettling, isnt it? watching that with a headset on in the dark really sets the mood.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 12, 2023

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this is incredible. I love indie maps like this due to the sheer freedom it affords to the author. No need to earn a NIntendo seal of quality - be as inscrutable and oppressive as you like. And I sincerely mean this in a good way.

Too bad you have to open and close the same door countless times.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

sb hermit posted:

Too bad you have to open and close the same door countless times.

It is content that exists solely to gently caress with you.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Reality is st𝐚͊ͮ͋rtin𝐠͙̦ͥ̍ to collaps𝐞͒̾. w𝐡̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌o the hell was this friend? What is this 𝐡̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝐨̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐮̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝐬̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐞. Why does everything rese𝐦͊ͮ͋ble it? No 𝐦͊ͮ͋atter where we go, everything is the da𝐦͊ͮ͋𝐧͒̾𝐞̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝐝 𝓱̆͒̾̓𝓸̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝓾̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝓼̋͊ͮ𝓮.

there were ph𝐨͒̾𝐭͙̦ͥ̍𝐨͙̦ͥ̍𝐬. Mayb𝐞͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ on𝐞͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ of them will shed some light on this mystery.

Tom. The fr𝐢͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐞̽̈͊𝐧̽̈͊𝐝 who passed away. he was q𝐮͙̦ͥ̍ite young. a very sad sit𝐮͙̦ͥ̍ation.

the map author and 𝐭̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐨̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐦. he seems happy, but there's a 𝐬̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝐚͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ𝐝̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐧͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐞̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐬̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐬 in the author's eyes.

ṉ̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒o̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉t̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉ s̆͒̾̓û̾̾͑ͣͤr͎̗̅ͥë̲̩̘́ͦ̐ ɯ̆͒̾̓h̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉ч̫ ч̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤo͊ͮ͋ṵ͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉'̽̈͊d̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌ n̊̈ë̲̩̘́ͦ̐ḛ͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉d̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌ α͊ͮ͋ p̆͒̾̓ı͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮc̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋t̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋u̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌r̂̾̾͑ͣͤe̽̈͊ o̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌f̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋ t̋͊ͮh͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦı̽̈͊s

𝐭͎̗̅ͥ𝐡͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐚͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ𝐭 room in the ĥ̾̾͑ͣͤo͎̗̅ͥű͊ͮs̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐e. Impossible. It couldn't exis𝐭̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐.

the hidden 𝓻̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝓸̆͒̾̓𝓸̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝓶 in the basement.

that...no...that 𝗅̫𝖾̫𝖽̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐ 𝗍̋͊ͮ𝗈̋͊ͮ 𝗍͎̗̅ͥ𝗁̆͒̾̓𝖾̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌ 𝗆̆͒̾̓𝖺̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝗓͎̗̅ͥ𝖾̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉.̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ.

𝖾̋͊ͮ𝗏͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝖾͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝗋̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝗒͒̾𝗍̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝗁̋͊ͮ𝗂̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝗇͊ͮ͋𝗀͙̦ͥ̍ 𝖻̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝖾̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝗇͊ͮ͋𝖽̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝗌̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌ 𝗂͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝗇̽̈͊ 𝗈̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝗇̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌ 𝗂̽̈͊𝗍̋͊ͮ𝗌̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝖾̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝗅͙̦ͥ̍𝖿͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ.̫ 𝖨͙̦ͥ̍𝗌͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ 𝗍͙̦ͥ̍𝗁̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝖾̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝗋͒̾𝖾͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ 𝖽͊ͮ͋𝖾̽̈͊𝖾̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝗉̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝖾̊̈𝗋̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ 𝗆͊ͮ͋𝖾̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝖺͙̦ͥ̍𝗇̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝗂̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝗇̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝗀̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐ 𝖻̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝖾̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝗁͙̦ͥ̍𝗂̋͊ͮ𝗇̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝖽̂̾̾͑ͣͤ 𝗂̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝗍͎̗̅ͥ 𝖺̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝗅̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝗅͙̦ͥ̍?

IDCHOPPERS posted:

"Leave the entrance to the bathroom unsullied for a Big loving reward."

𝐝̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐨̽̈͊𝐧͙̦ͥ̍𝐞

we're back to the house. Same as it's always been. same as it will be. s...

that's different. let's follow this thread.

that Song....

𝐟̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐨̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐥͒̾𝐥̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐨̽̈͊𝐰͙̦ͥ̍ 𝐭̊̈𝐡̆͒̾̓𝐞̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉ 𝐭̽̈͊𝐡̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝐫̫𝐞͒̾𝐚̫𝐝͒̾𝐬̂̾̾͑ͣͤ.̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒ 𝐬̋͊ͮ𝐞̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝐞̋͊ͮ 𝐰̋͊ͮ𝐡͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐞̋͊ͮ𝐫̫𝐞͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ 𝐭̫𝐡̫𝐞͎̗̅ͥ𝐲̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋ 𝐥͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐞̊̈𝐚̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝐝͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ.͙̦ͥ̍ 𝐝̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐨͊ͮ͋𝐧͙̦ͥ̍'͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐭̂̾̾͑ͣͤ 𝐬͎̗̅ͥ𝐭̫𝐨͊ͮ͋𝐩̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋.̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌ 𝐝͒̾𝐨̫𝐧̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋'͒̾𝐭͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ 𝐞͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐯̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐞̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐫̋͊ͮ 𝐬̆͒̾̓𝐭̋͊ͮ𝐨̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐩̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒.

𝐛̋͊ͮ𝐚̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐜̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝐤̆͒̾̓ 𝐭͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐨̂̾̾͑ͣͤ 𝐭̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐡̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐞͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ 𝐬͊ͮ͋𝐭̋͊ͮ𝐚̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐫̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐭̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌.̽̈͊ 𝐝͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐨̋͊ͮ 𝐢͊ͮ͋𝐭̋͊ͮ 𝐚̋͊ͮ𝐠͎̗̅ͥ𝐚͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐢̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐧̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌.͙̦ͥ̍ 𝐃̂̾̾͑ͣͤ𝐨͊ͮ͋ 𝐢̋͊ͮ𝐭̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉ 𝐛̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐚̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝐜̽̈͊𝐤͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐰͒̾𝐚̆͒̾̓𝐫̰͍͚̞̣̱͑ͬͦ̉𝐝̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐬̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌.

𝐓̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐇̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐄̆͒̾̓ 𝐄̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐍̫𝐃͊ͮ͋ 𝐈͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐒̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒ 𝐍͒̾𝐄͙̦ͥ̍𝐕͒̾𝐄̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐑̫ 𝐓̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐇͙̦ͥ̍𝐄̫ 𝐄̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐍͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐃̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ 𝐈̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝐒̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐ 𝐍̑ͤ͑̂̆͒̾̓͋𝐄̊̈𝐕͈̮͈̝̪ͫ̅̐ͮ𝐄͙̦ͥ̍𝐑̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒ 𝐓̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐇̊̈𝐄͊ͮ͋ 𝐄̊̈𝐍͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ𝐃̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐ 𝐈̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐒̊̈ 𝐍̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝐄̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒𝐕͎̗̅ͥ𝐄͙̦ͥ̍𝐑̂̾̾͑ͣͤ 𝐓̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐇̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐄̱̙̼͔̺̒͒̿̒ 𝐄̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐍̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐃̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ 𝐈̲̩̘̈́ͦ̐𝐒͊ͮ͋ 𝐍͚͚̲̝͇̔ͮ͂͗ͦ𝐄̆͒̾̓𝐕̖͙̬̮͓ͮ̏ͤ𝐄̪͕͙̯̅ͬ̈ͯ̌𝐑

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 11, 2023

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a Doom sale for another week and you can get Doom 2 for 2.

This got me interested in trying it out, so I won't read the thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:rock:

Now that's some good house exploring music too :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

this perfectly duplicates the existential dread of entering a shell convenience store but the feeling can be exacerbated by having an in-store Subway

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Journal posted:

January 4, 2023
Today was supposed to be my first day back at work after the holiday break, but I decided to take one more day off to work on myhouse.wad. I've been spending hours every day mapping out and organizing the project, but I'm starting to feel like it's taking on a life of its own. Despite being unable to remember making many of the changes, I keep finding new things appearing in the project.
I'm starting to feel a little paranoid, like someone or something is watching me and is controlling the direction of the project. It's a strange feeling, and I'm not sure how to explain it, but I just feel like I'm not in control anymore. It's a little unnerving, but I'm determined to finish this project.

January 7, 2023
I was driving along a road in the woods, when all of a sudden, my car veered off the road and crashed into a tree. I woke up to find myself in the driver's seat, with an injured and bleeding leg. My head was spinning and I felt disoriented.
I dragged myself out of the car, and hobbled my way through the woods in hopes of finding help. My leg was in agony and I felt like I was going to faint. Through the trees I saw the lights from a lonely gas station.
I was relieved to find it open, but then I realized that there was nobody there. I had no idea where everybody had gone. As I was standing there, I heard some strange noises coming from the woods around me. I was too scared to investigate, so I just stood there, feeling scared and alone.
Suddenly, I heard a car in the distance and I limped towards it. Thank goodness, it was a taxi driver who was able to take me to the hospital.
I eventually woke up in a cold sweat, not sure if I was relieved or disappointed that it was just a dream.

January 13, 2023
I Have an extended weekend because of MLK Day so I thought I’d try to wrap this thing up before March. I had trouble opening the map; Doom Builder and Slade both reported being unable to locate the file. Apparently, during a previous editing session, I compiled the map as a pk3 file and both editors were looking for a previous copy in .wad format.
I had been reading tutorials on how to convert wad files to pk3 and I must have thrown everything into a new file at some point in an exhausted stupor because I don’t remember actually converting the project into a different format.

January 14, 2023
Last night I had a nightmare that felt so real I can still feel the fear and terror coursing through me as I write this. I was on an airplane, and I was the only passenger. I looked out the window to see the ground below and noticed that the terrain was unfamiliar. I had no idea where I was or where I was going. Suddenly, the plane started to shake violently and I heard a loud noise coming from the engine. In the distance, I could see a huge storm cloud coming towards me. I tried to communicate with the pilot, but I couldn't hear him over the sound of the engine.
The plane began to dive and suddenly I felt a huge jolt. I looked out the window again and saw that the plane was heading for some kind of structure. I closed my eyes and felt the plane crash. I felt the impact and heard the screams and cries from the people around me. I then woke up, my heart pounding and my body drenched in sweat.

January 21, 2023
I don’t know if it’s the memories of my friend that keep flooding back while working on this map, but I need to take a break. This project, which began as a simple cleanup and release as a memorial, has consumed all my free time; hours pass and I’m not aware of the time or familiar with the work added to the map.
I’m going to stop mapping for a while and come back later when I’m in a better place.

January 22, 2023
I mapped again last night.

January 23, 2023
And tonight.

January 31, 2023
I’ll take a break for real this time–I hope it will let me.

February 14, 2023
Happy Valentines day to the only person I ever loved. For a short time, you brought a little happiness to this painful existence called life. I hope we can be together again one day. In the meantime… I’ll keep looking for that other someone who can be the ray of light in my life that you turned out to be.

February 19, 2023
I didn’t make this area of the map. I’m sure of it. It’s still the house that Thomas started all those years ago, but different. It has changed. The map I’ve been detailing and cleaning up for release is still here, but it is now intertwined with too many tags and sector references to separate it from these new areas.
I would be more disturbed if wasn’t so beautiful.

February 20, 2023
I took more time off work to finish the map. After 13 years, I’ve got the hours, but more important… the map needs me. Without my guiding hand, the map doesn’t know what to build. But I can help it. Guide it. It seems to respond to my designs, changing them to match my emotional state. It knows what I’m feeling. It knows how Thomas felt.

February 26, 2023
I can no longer tell what elements of this map are my friend’s, which are mine… and what the map has created. I am no longer afraid that the map is creating itself. It needs me as much as I need it. Which reminds me of a dream I had the other night. I’m not sleeping much, but I recall

this one with surprising clarity. I was standing on a beach staring out at the placid water, the ocean stretching out as far as the eye could see. Seagulls cawed overhead and the gentle caress of water lapped the sand in front of me. I dipped my toes into the water. At least I tried. There was no water. No ocean. It was an illusion. I realized everything around me was fake. The trees, the birds, the sand… it was all a one-act play, and I was Willie Loman. A damned fool who believed in something greater. But there was no happiness to be found. I wandered the set only to find myself staring into oblivion… it was the end of time itself. No joy, no misery, no sadness… only emptiness. Men of faith tell us the afterlife is for eternity, but is it possible to keep your sanity for eternity? A day passes in the void. A month. A year. Two. Five. Ten. Is this an eternity? Twenty years. A hundred years. A thousand years. I’ve sat in this room for a million years now entertaining the same thoughts, pondered the same questions, and ruminated on every mistake in my life… anguishing over them for centuries. A billion years now. Double that. Now double it again. I am still nowhere close to the end of eternity. I pray for death but it never comes… just me, and my thoughts and my mistakes and my insecurities and my regrets and my loneliness. Somewhere, in another dream, the version of myself that winked back is sitting on the real beach, happy and content, knowing life is finite, there is no afterlife, and happiness is found in the small things around us that we can control. Happiness has to be fought for.

March 2, 2023
I was wrong. The map is using me. This morning I loaded a Doom Builder backup file from late October and spent a few hours preparing the map for release. I tried to delete myhouse.pk3 but I keep getting a ‘file in use’ error. I don’t think the map will let me. I’m going to post it on Doomworld tonight, but I don’t want anyone playing anything other than the original vanilla release–whatever this map is doing to me, I can’t let it do the same to others.

March 9, 2023
I swear I uploaded the safe copy, but myhouse.pk3 was uploaded by mistake. I don’t know if a lot of people were able to download the map before I fixed the link, but hopefully I caught it in time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

This is it. Do or die. No turning back now. well...sorta. We are in fact, turning back. Facing our fears. This ℍ𝕠𝕦𝕤𝕖. It's not going to win. No matter what it throws at us. We won't let it win.

The smoke. It's chokingly thick. The house fire. A deep, primal fear. A tarnished history that wasn't meant to be. It's manifesting itself. the black arch-vile. The mirror vile. The embodiment of that fire. Reality is too thin here. warped by the mirror. we need to escape, it's far too powerful for us. Leave it behind. walk away from the mirror and leave those bad memories behind.

The 🅷🅾🆄🆂🅴 is full again. It's not letting us go that easily. Remember those words. Happiness has to be fought for. I want to be happy. We will fight, and we will win.

Room by room, we clear away the rabble. The mirror vile is waiting for us. Daring us to return to it. Desperate to reduce us to cinders like the ᚺᛜⳘᛢᛊ. Pay it no mind, it has no power over us on this side of the mirror.

Close call after close call, but somehow we pull through. the ᕼOᙀᔑᙓ is silent once again. Into the woods. To find our happiness. That song calls to us, like an old friend, one whose name has long been forgotten, but it's comforting.

Rip and tear. Until it's done. These bastards want to fight, well we're going to go down swinging. They won't relent but neither will we. We're going to take them out or d.. :gibs:

....ie trying. Is this heaven? my body feels so light. what's that sound? my head's pounding.

...no.

.....Not Yet.

It's not our time yet. Too late for our friend, but its not too late for us. HIT THAT poo poo. :black101:

Get up, Spit out the blood, and go and spill theirs.

A brutal battle. Impossible odds. a gas station, a few high powered weapons, and some surprisingly nutritious slushies, and we've done it. The station is clear. We've gotta make our way back to that campfire.

Another ambush. They won't let up. But neither will we. Fight on through. Destroy the last remnant of the vile. and get our well-deserved reward. Happiness, at last.

[The End...?]

Not really. There's still a fair bit more to see. One more bonus update, before some of the more technical stuff, and the spoiler embargo will be lifted from then on out. I know this wasn't the greatest let's play around, i wanted to try something different. Something grounded a little more in the esoteric writing style that the map builder shamelessly plagiarizedpaid homage to. Thanks to the handful of people commenting and the others just watching. this mod is just so darn excellent, i had to share it.