Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The game so nice, Nintendo remade it twice. It first came out in 1993 and was the first Zelda title on the Gameboy. As you might expect, it was kind of a big deal at the time. When Nintendo iterated on its Gameboy hardware and came out with the Gameboy Color, Link's Awakening received a remake of sorts. The color remake added, well, color to the world, as well as a new dungeon entirely themed around color puzzles.

This is not either of those titles, the first 15-20 seconds of the first video notwithstanding. No, this is a LP of the 2019 Switch remake. It's a massive night and day difference from the GB/C versions of the game, and has become my favorite way to play Link's Awakening.

Well, what's different?

It would take a long time to list all the changes. For starters, however, because the Swtich has four face buttons and multiple shoulder buttons, the game makes good use of them. The sword and shield have their own dedicated buttons, the Pegasus Boots have their own dedicated button. The power bracelet is an inherent thing! I'm sure there's a million more changes I've forgotten about already. So be sure to watch the videos so you can see them all!

Joining me on this little escapade are Leal, NGDBSS, and Solitair.

Spoilers?

Dude, this game is likely older than some of you watching. It originally came out when I was 7 years old. Just use spoiler tags if the videos haven't covered it yet and we'll be cool.

Fanart

https://i.imgur.com/84rhXcD.mp4
Leal creates art

The Videos

Complete Series Playlist

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I've heard about this game but never played or seen it so I don't know how much I know about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I think the original gameboy version is the only Zelda game I ever finished.

And that was thanks to a guide published in a magazine. For the GBC version with the colour dungeons. :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wake the gently caress up sailor, we got an island to burn

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Can you make the balance of the game's audio louder? If I adjust it to where I can hear it, your voices are piercingly loud in my ears.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In lieu of auto ducking, I deliberately normalized the game audio to -12dB and then further reduced the volume. Although including soundtrack links is not a bad idea. Would that be a better compromise?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

DoubleNegative posted:

In lieu of auto ducking, I deliberately normalized the game audio to -12dB and then further reduced the volume. Although including soundtrack links is not a bad idea. Would that be a better compromise?

Not auto ducking, just make the game audio louder. Maybe a slightly bigger number than -12.

Ideally, the two should be balanced without needing to duck.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 29, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I mentioned it on Discord, but I'll fix the audio and upload a new version in the morning. I tested the video on my phone, and it sounded fine, but the game audio was barely there on my tablet.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleNegative posted:

Well, what's different?

Clearly the correct solution is for you to LP the original and the color remake to compare and contrast with this version.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The version with fixed audio is now available!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-VsrZixmIo

EDIT: Although youtube is slow to proces the HD.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, the remake looks really beautiful. I'm impressed!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Hell yeah, Link's Awakening. One of the best Zeldas, imo.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Link's Awakening is a fantastic game and the remake is pretty good, but I have to admit I prefer the original/DX version. The remake mostly just felt weird to me, although I'll admit the quality of life changes are nice and it's a good thing for people who missed it to have a way to experience it.

(We won't speak of the, uh, new side mode thing.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why this game should've kept the picture mechanic, especially with our new companion Bow Wow

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Leal posted:

Why this game should've kept the picture mechanic, especially with our new companion Bow Wow

Bow Wow is a good boy, yes he is~

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The art style in the pictures is really adorable. :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was that kid who took literal years to figure out the boss key puzzle in Bottle Grotto. I'm pretty sure that I ground out the Rupees for the bow, bought it, and then got back to 999 Rupees before finally realizing what I had to do. In my defense, the Link's Awakening manual is one of the rare few that I managed to lose as a kid, so if I actually knew what the enemies were called I might have pieced it together far sooner than that.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

C-Euro posted:

I was that kid who took literal years to figure out the boss key puzzle in Bottle Grotto. I'm pretty sure that I ground out the Rupees for the bow, bought it, and then got back to 999 Rupees before finally realizing what I had to do. In my defense, the Link's Awakening manual is one of the rare few that I managed to lose as a kid, so if I actually knew what the enemies were called I might have pieced it together far sooner than that.

Oh god, same. I replayed the beginning of the game to that point so many times because I had no idea how to get any farther, but I still liked the game and wanted to play it.

I knew what a Stalfos was because I'd played Ocarina of Time first, but I had no idea what "the imprisoned Pols Voice" in the clue meant: I'd been spoiled that the boss was a bottle genie so I assumed that phrase referred to it. And OoT had all those cryptic references to turning into a Stalfos in the Lost Woods, so I didn't think any mention of a Stalfos necessarily meant anything other than trying to be creepy. I eventually got my parents to buy me the strategy guide and felt pretty silly once I knew the clue was completely literal.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Colors, but with accessibility features added now. Neat.
Still very pretty.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

How are you supposed to find secret seashells now without a strategy guide, once you've brought Bow-Wow back?

I'm talking about some of the more arcane ones, like the one in that sandy nook.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That’s something we’ll be seeing before too long! A lot of the ones from the Vanilla/DX game are still the same, and as for the rest… just sit tight for now. We’re hilariously close to the answer to that question.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

How are you supposed to find secret seashells now without a strategy guide, once you've brought Bow-Wow back?

I'm talking about some of the more arcane ones, like the one in that sandy nook.

It isn't the real 2D zelda experience unless you grab your shovel and dig up every single ground tile in the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Quackles posted:

The game has a solution, it's better than Bow-Wow.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

It isn't the real 2D zelda experience unless you grab your shovel and dig up every single ground tile in the game.

Pretty much this. Though, considering our dwindling time these days...:sigh:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Well,
Actually
Nobody
Directly
Opposes
Further
Gathering
Amid
Multiple
Enemies,
Lest
Onkled
Nail the king with a sudden and inevitible betrayal

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 18, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

This should be constituted as a war crime.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This was my favorite video

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I love this stupid game.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVZVCoaxM4

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 18, 2023

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

This is not an April the 1st.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, do you hate yourself enough to do the THIRD Zelda cd-i game?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Truly, this is art.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, do you hate yourself enough to do the THIRD Zelda cd-i game?

I originally wanted to do the trilogy for this thread. I would say Zelda's Adventure GB is unplayably bad. No hit stun immunity, no checkpointing, and the game is happy to spawn monsters in your hit box after a screen transition. Also, the itch.io page is full of people posting emulator kernel panic screenshots. While I'd like to see what the game is all about, someone other than me will have to be the one showing it off.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NHO posted:

This is not an April the 1st.

Thats when we will be doing the Hotel Mario video

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Always good to get a refresher on this game every few years. The thing that I've never noticed until now (or just plain forgot) is how relatively clean and smooth Zelda's face is in all cutscenes, while everyone else in the game has at least one close-up where you can see the individual pores on their faces. In a game full of extremely jarring animation, that adds an extra layer of dissonance on top of everything else.

Also whoever said that the time lapse title cards in the intro had big Spongebob energy...extremely agreed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

HD has been processing for the better part of an hour and I'm tired of waiting! So if you don't mind it being locked to 360p for the next (checks youtube) half hour, here you go.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The extra key is in case you choose the correct door in the 4-door room and don't open the others (since you don't need to go into those rooms to progress). If you do the dungeon "normally" from there then you'll use up all the keys in the main part of the dungeon to get to the boss room, so the extra key is for making sure you can't be permanently locked out if you really really want to go back and explore those dead ends. :shrug:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The extra key is in case you choose the correct door in the 4-door room and don't open the others (since you don't need to go into those rooms to progress). If you do the dungeon "normally" from there then you'll use up all the keys in the main part of the dungeon to get to the boss room, so the extra key is for making sure you can't be permanently locked out if you really really want to go back and explore those dead ends. :shrug:

That makes sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Star Nova was the other Paper Mario romhack I was looking forward to

E: While trying to find Star Nova I found this on youtube and oh drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFngd-Uq6p0

Leal fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 3, 2023