Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The game so nice, Nintendo remade it twice. It first came out in 1993 and was the first Zelda title on the Gameboy. As you might expect, it was kind of a big deal at the time. When Nintendo iterated on its Gameboy hardware and came out with the Gameboy Color, Link's Awakening received a remake of sorts. The color remake added, well, color to the world, as well as a new dungeon entirely themed around color puzzles.

This is not either of those titles, the first 15-20 seconds of the first video notwithstanding. No, this is a LP of the 2019 Switch remake. It's a massive night and day difference from the GB/C versions of the game, and has become my favorite way to play Link's Awakening.

Well, what's different?

It would take a long time to list all the changes. For starters, however, because the Swtich has four face buttons and multiple shoulder buttons, the game makes good use of them. The sword and shield have their own dedicated buttons, the Pegasus Boots have their own dedicated button. The power bracelet is an inherent thing! I'm sure there's a million more changes I've forgotten about already. So be sure to watch the videos so you can see them all!

Joining me on this little escapade are Leal, NGDBSS, and Solitair.

Spoilers?

Dude, this game is likely older than some of you watching. It originally came out when I was 7 years old. Just use spoiler tags if the videos haven't covered it yet and we'll be cool.

Fanart

https://i.imgur.com/84rhXcD.mp4
Leal creates art

The Videos

Complete Series Playlist

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In lieu of auto ducking, I deliberately normalized the game audio to -12dB and then further reduced the volume. Although including soundtrack links is not a bad idea. Would that be a better compromise?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I mentioned it on Discord, but I'll fix the audio and upload a new version in the morning. I tested the video on my phone, and it sounded fine, but the game audio was barely there on my tablet.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The version with fixed audio is now available!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-VsrZixmIo

EDIT: Although youtube is slow to proces the HD.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The art style in the pictures is really adorable. :3:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That’s something we’ll be seeing before too long! A lot of the ones from the Vanilla/DX game are still the same, and as for the rest… just sit tight for now. We’re hilariously close to the answer to that question.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Well,
Actually
Nobody
Directly
Opposes
Further
Gathering
Amid
Multiple
Enemies,
Lest
Onkled
Nail the king with a sudden and inevitible betrayal

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 18, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, do you hate yourself enough to do the THIRD Zelda cd-i game?

I originally wanted to do the trilogy for this thread. I would say Zelda's Adventure GB is unplayably bad. No hit stun immunity, no checkpointing, and the game is happy to spawn monsters in your hit box after a screen transition. Also, the itch.io page is full of people posting emulator kernel panic screenshots. While I'd like to see what the game is all about, someone other than me will have to be the one showing it off.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

HD has been processing for the better part of an hour and I'm tired of waiting! So if you don't mind it being locked to 360p for the next (checks youtube) half hour, here you go.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The extra key is in case you choose the correct door in the 4-door room and don't open the others (since you don't need to go into those rooms to progress). If you do the dungeon "normally" from there then you'll use up all the keys in the main part of the dungeon to get to the boss room, so the extra key is for making sure you can't be permanently locked out if you really really want to go back and explore those dead ends. :shrug:

That makes sense!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 9, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ah hell. You're right. I looked at the audio properties in Resolve, and it was in mono. I put it in Stereo, and the audio got so much clearer. Gimme like an hour to fix the video.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The video is so fresh that it's only available in 360p. So if you act now, you too can experience half the jokes in the video about the quality!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

You're thinking of Harvest Moon with throwing your stuff into a lake and then a fairy pops out to offer you an upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sWOTNtJuuo

Did you lose a golden axe or was it a silver axe?
What!? Neither one?
Hmm...
Let's see... then is it this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:perfect:

That's goin' in the OP.

Also update will probably be a little delayed. I haven't actually had a chance to edit the next video yet, let alone record commentary for it!