Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I experienced years of paranoia as a child about being murdered in the shower by, of all things, the Puppetmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

"Invaders from Mars" (1986) - sticking pennies in those monster things was bizarre.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
Old Yeller.

Sci-fi and horror movies are scary in the moment, but the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet is a real thing that actually happens, and you know it will happen someday (hopefully without the rabies).

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Large. Marge.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I dunno if it still lives inside me per se, I've seen far worse by now, but for some reason I saw Darkman when I was pretty young, maybe around seven?, and the movie opens with this. It was horrifying to me as a kid in all its goofy sinister-ness. Fingers are important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBzGTMshrac&t=126s

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

That time Thanos snapped still haunts me to this day. Easily the darkest moment of my childhood was watching that movie at 3 years old.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

no pubes yet sorry posted:

"Invaders from Mars" (1986) - sticking pennies in those monster things was bizarre.

I thought I was the only person who had watched this :classiclol:

I’m still suspect of those that eat too much bacon.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I think I was 10 or 11 when I had to get up and leave my friend's living room after Gage kills Judd in Pet Sematary. I just hung out in his bedroom until the whole movie was over and couldn't get that scene out of my head for months.

Before that I was like five or six when I watched The Thing and all I remember of it is that I slept with my closet light on for over a year lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Grey Cat posted:

That time Thanos snapped still haunts me to this day. Easily the darkest moment of my childhood was watching that movie at 3 years old.

Whattttt... No...

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Well cats do grow up fast

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
3 pages in and no toilet monster from the X-Files? For shame.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Grem posted:

Whattttt... No...

Definitely a shitpost.

An actual answer from me would be something like the fox and the hound.

maybealabia posted:

Well cats do grow up fast

It's true, I may be only be a few years old but I'm roughly 129 now.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

There are definitely unsupervised kids in this moment that are getting traumatized by that and other Marvel moments like when Loki eats it at the start of Infinity War, though.

Imagine how are THEY going to turn out.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

crotchgobbler posted:

I watched Schindler's List when I was around 10 years old and I cried because I couldn't understand how people could be so cruel to one another. After the Nazis execute the one armed man for being unable to shovel, I couldn't watch anymore.

My dad made fun of me for crying and still does by saying "I am an essential worker!" every so often and laughing. This has been going on for 20+ years.

lol what the gently caress

I saw Schindler's List with some friends somewhere around that age, and nothing in it really upset me until afterwards - my friends were joking about the scene where the lone nazi soldier in the barn is knife killed, about what he was saying (they didn't subtitle that part), but as I spoke German at the time I knew he had been quite sincerely begging for his life. Basically the movie had effectively humanized him to me and not at all to them and it was a jarring disconnect.
I probably related that to them a bit tremulously but they let it go because we were friends, I can't imagine eating poo poo for being upset about what's supposed to be an unflinching portrayal of war and atrocities for 20 years.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Koyaanisqatsi.

I had a ticket to a different movie but ended up in the wrong theater. The opening scene was so fascinating I just stayed in my seat and watched the whole thing. I was 10 at the time.

I became convinced the movie was some kind of disturbing confession or revelation. The raising of the curtain on an underlying truth that the grown-ups in my life would never admit or even entertain as a concept; that our species is living completely out of balance with the natural world and that industrial civilization was probably a terrible mistake, and all our institutions propping it up reflects a collective failure of leadership and foresight.

40 years later I don't think substantially different about any of those things.

I saw it well after 10 but :same:

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I grew up having occasional nightmares due to The Blob (1988) and Critters, sometimes in the same dream. Little kid me did not understand that critters was supposed to be funny.

The dismemberment scene in The Brave Little Toaster was some seriously hosed up poo poo.

Honorable mentions go to Child's Play, Mars Attacks!, and It, the latter of which I only watched a little bit of in the reflection of the glass door while my dad was watching in another room.

There's one scene in a movie that I can't find. I think it was from Soldier, where a bunch of orphans are raised as super soldiers. In one training montage, a very large soldier can't keep pace during a run. A Humvee drives up, and the poor guy gets shot off screen. In an army that has plenty of non-super soldiers, surely there's use for a guy like him? He could've probably driven a Humvee or something too! Then later some super soldiers have a fight to the death with superior genetically engineered soldiers, and I just thought it was a counterproductive and useless waste of life.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Grey Cat posted:

An actual answer from me would be something like the fox and the hound.

When that sweet lady put a couple of shotgun shells into the hunters radiator I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up (her)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

YoursTruly posted:

There's one scene in a movie that I can't find. I think it was from Soldier, where a bunch of orphans are raised as super soldiers. In one training montage, a very large soldier can't keep pace during a run. A Humvee drives up, and the poor guy gets shot off screen. In an army that has plenty of non-super soldiers, surely there's use for a guy like him? He could've probably driven a Humvee or something too! Then later some super soldiers have a fight to the death with superior genetically engineered soldiers, and I just thought it was a counterproductive and useless waste of life.

I remember that humvee scene in Soldier, too. If you can’t find it, it’s quite possible that it got edited out after the theatrical release or something. Stuff like that happens all the time with movies.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Rappaport posted:

I dunno if it still lives inside me per se, I've seen far worse by now, but for some reason I saw Darkman when I was pretty young, maybe around seven?, and the movie opens with this. It was horrifying to me as a kid in all its goofy sinister-ness. Fingers are important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBzGTMshrac&t=126s

I ain’t clicking on that, but does it involve a cigar cutter? Cause that’s pretty much all I remember from that movie.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bulgaroctonus posted:

I ain’t clicking on that, but does it involve a cigar cutter? Cause that’s pretty much all I remember from that movie.

Yep, that's the one :ohno:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Thirding Fire in the Sky. Just the commercials, I never saw the movie itself. In the 90s King's Dominion had humongous movie posters near the park entrance of I guess Paramount's recent big movies and this happened to be one of them, and it always bothered me. There would be Klingons and Vulcans walking around in the park though so it kind of made up for it.

Zefiel posted:

There are definitely unsupervised kids in this moment that are getting traumatized by that and other Marvel moments like when Loki eats it at the start of Infinity War, though.

Imagine how are THEY going to turn out.

When I bought my last car the finance manager was telling me how his 11 year old son had watched Deadpool. :stare:

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 30, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

YoursTruly posted:

I grew up having occasional nightmares due to The Blob (1988)

That's such a great movie, the effects are legit unsettling. It's right there with the thing for me.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Wheelers from Return to Oz

The witch who collects women’s heads from Return to Oz

The Nome King from Return to Oz…

… everything from Return to Oz; goddamn that movie creeped out my 5-year-old self.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I saw Robocop when I was 4

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Zefiel posted:

When I saw Infinity War at the cinema there was an annoying little kid being a little kid throughout the movie ( moving around, lying on the floor, talking to his brother asking what was happening because wasn't really watching)

but I did feel a little sorry for him at the end when he was bawling his eyes out after watching Spider-man get dusted...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The warehouse scene in Robocop 2 where Robot Kane is assassinating all those people scared the hell out of me. The room is dark because he shot the lights out, so you just hear this whirring and stomping, then suddenly someone's in his spotlights and they get instantly mowed down by his machine guns. Rinse, repeat. Totally merciless.

AreAliensReal
Jul 29, 2023

by vyelkin
Heffalumps and Woozles

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Dick Jones posted:

Amazing Stories on NBC. The one where the guy discovers a liquid that turns the subject of a photo into a real life being. He pours some on a lingerie magazine but keeps getting the amount wrong which results in bizarre incomplete mutant women, including a giantess and a freaky wraith woman. They all say the same thing when they appear in the flesh: "Kiss me and I'm yours forever" and if he doesn't kiss them, they revert back to goo in a painful melting process.

that's the jon cryer episode

lol

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Weapons of rear end Destruction II.

I thought I knew asses, and I thought I knew destruction but I did not.

Dear god, I did not.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

White Light posted:

That sadist bad guy from The Phantom who tricked one of his goons into stabbing his eyes out with a trap-blade microscope 🔬

That's what movie that was from! gently caress!

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The Swarm (1978). It's a silly trainwreck of a disaster movie, but I was 7 and I'm still phobic about bees from that. Thanks Dad for taking me to a movie where school-age children are stung to death onscreen by swarms of bees.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Beastmaster

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

YoursTruly posted:

The dismemberment scene in The Brave Little Toaster was some seriously hosed up poo poo.

I loved that movie so much. It was intense in a way to make it thrilling for a young kid but I wouldn't say it was too much. Like, I remember several things being legit scary but not so much to make me not love it overall. For me it was the air conditioner blowing up, what a wild scene, definitely scared and confused me at first. The crusher at the end was also definitely nerve wracking. Funny enough, I don't remember being too disturbed by the dream sequence in comparison.

And I loved The Goonies as well but for a while I had to close my eyes whenever the first shot of Chester Cobblepot's skeleton came up. The giant bugs crawling around is what particularly got me, I had a fear of insects. Although for some reason never had a problem with Temple Of Doom, although I was a bit older maybe (about 4th grade I think?)

I don't recall being too scared or traumatized by any movie really. I think it's because the bar was set so high by the pictures in Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books. Now 2 pictures in particularly were definitely traumatizing to me in a way movies never were and I spent many a night not closing my eyes and trying my hardest not to mentally image those pictures.

Phyein fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 31, 2023

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Number_6 posted:

The Swarm (1978). It's a silly trainwreck of a disaster movie, but I was 7 and I'm still phobic about bees from that. Thanks Dad for taking me to a movie where school-age children are stung to death onscreen by swarms of bees.

Did you see Star Trek the Motion Picture? Did the transporter disintegration scene scare you?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

empty sea posted:

The scene in the original IT where he kills Georgie and then later It folds the teen in half and sucks him into the sewer pipe.

IT was mine. I started watching horror movies with my mom before I can remember and I guess I just made an early connection that movies aren't real. I absolutely loved scary movies and since IT scared the poo poo out of me, I made her watch it with me over and over. It was kind of a bonding thing.

Problem was, I don't think I realized clowns were real. So the first time I saw a clown in real life, instinct took over and I goddamn bolted.

Years back I drew comics about both times it happened:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtXccMJ1XkY

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

shame on an IGA posted:

I saw Robocop when I was 4

How many and where are the bodies buried?

I saw Robocop 2 when I was like 13 and had the exact same haircut as the main kid and as a result I can easily see myself using an uzi.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

ElectricSheep posted:

I think I was 10 or 11 when I had to get up and leave my friend's living room after Gage kills Judd in Pet Sematary. I just hung out in his bedroom until the whole movie was over and couldn't get that scene out of my head for months.

Before that I was like five or six when I watched The Thing and all I remember of it is that I slept with my closet light on for over a year lol

oh god, slicing open his achilles tendon from under the bed? to this day im still wary around beds

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

robocop, the scene with bad guy blowing off murphy’s hand with a shotgun, and dude melting from acid. my white trash neighbours showed it to me as a 5 year old and i still ain’t recovered (i’m 42)

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Idk if the movie was based on a book that went into detail on their outward appearances, but the Langoliers were always a far cry from some abstract time-eating entities, and much closer to what currently lived under my bed.
https://i.imgur.com/S9qdw2L.mp4

Also I could care less how many Oscars the Andromeda Strain was nominated for, as my childhood brain was not ready to appreciate the alien goop in all its glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

crotchgobbler posted:

I watched Schindler's List when I was around 10 years old and I cried because I couldn't understand how people could be so cruel to one another. After the Nazis execute the one armed man for being unable to shovel, I couldn't watch anymore.

My dad made fun of me for crying and still does by saying "I am an essential worker!" every so often and laughing. This has been going on for 20+ years.

is your dad a legit psychopath?